Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

I've been to a couple of NSW outback towns - Walgett & Wilcannia and there was just an 'air' about them that put me on edge. Nothing happened to me, I did not get mugged or abused but when you see everything shuttered and barred up after dark and nobody walking, it's unsettling.

Admittedly, I am a VERY anxious person but I also think that, as humans we are all wired to our 'flight or fight' responses. If something does not feel right then there is a good chance it isn't. That sense if often misplaced hence the amount of phobias that some people suffer from.

Twenty years ago there was a large Aboriginal community around Redfern and, once a week, on 'dole' day, a seething, shouting, brawling, drunken mob would gather in and around the early opener Subway Hotel by Central. I dreaded walking past that pub to the station on that one day of the week.

I'm sad about the OP's experiences in Perth but I'd like to think that her experience is the Australian exception not the Australian rule.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...................thats a little clearer...................thankyou...................though often those being offended [in my experience ]find it easier to walk away..............I am in the mineority of my family and try to ignore slurs and live my life how and where I want...............and have found confrontation often leads to more animosity..............so therefore advised the op to just be strong in her own family unit...............as its usually a minority that cause these problems................imo

Again I didn't explain myself properly - I'm talking from the perspective of be a white Anglo Saxon Australian male who is a bystander in that situation, not as someone from another culture who is on the receiving end of it. There are obvious immediate safety issues to think about too, and it's amazing how racist remarks often flow from people who use their fists to solve problems. I just know that if people like me don't stand up for those on the receiving end, the idiots dishing it out will continue to think it's ok.

I've been to a couple of NSW outback towns - Walgett & Wilcannia and there was just an 'air' about them that put me on edge. Nothing happened to me, I did not get mugged or abused but when you see everything shuttered and barred up after dark and nobody walking, it's unsettling.

Wilcannia was actually the town I was referring to in my caravanning story!

Again I didn't explain myself properly - I'm talking from the perspective of be a white Anglo Saxon Australian male who is a bystander in that situation, not as someone from another culture who is on the receiving end of it. There are obvious immediate safety issues to think about too, and it's amazing how racist remarks often flow from people who use their fists to solve problems. I just know that if people like me don't stand up for those on the receiving end, the idiots dishing it out will continue to think it's ok.

Wilcannia was actually the town I was referring to in my caravanning story!

I stayed in the motel behind or next to the servo and drove up to the Golf or Bowling club for dinner. In any other town I would probably have walked there. There were a couple of 'outback characters' in the room next to me. I think one of them said he lived at Cockburn on the border with NSW west of Broken Hill.

I had a look round the town in the morning and I think it had a sort of 'run-down' air about it. I love going to country towns though. In the ouback it's like travelling from one 'island' to another.

Guest jininiel

I never said that all Australian are racist...I said some people in Australia. My family have had some good experiences too. We have made a few friends ,Australian, British, south african,Canadian origins. I will never make the assumption that the racial slurs were made by Australian. I have always feel comfortable and confident in my skin. But some people have no tact when it comes to talking to people who look different...they lack the understanding that a certain way of talking to people might hurt their feelings. someone once said to me..."your wig looks nice"...I said excuse me what makes you think I am wearing a wig ...response "OH most women from Africa do...I guess their hair is hard to maintain"...I am not wearing a wig...I am one of those black women who actually takes care of her hair... and black women do grow long hair...oh and I am not really from Africa but if you classified Seychelles as Africa then that's ok too...That was my response and I walked away...Oh and the incident happened at a cocktail full of professional and educated people!!!....comments like that wear you down and t hurts no...However we do look at the funny side of things...Now when we go out my husband said "Make sure your wig is fix properly on your head :biggrin:

. someone once said to me..."your wig looks nice"...I said excuse me what makes you think I am wearing a wig ...response "OH most women from Africa do...I guess their hair is hard to maintain".

To me that is not a racist remark. It is made out of interest and curiosity: even if made out of ignorance it is certainly not intended to offend, in fact it sounds as though it was intended as a compliment.

I never said that all Australian are racist...I said some people in Australia. My family have had some good experiences too. We have made a few friends ,Australian, British, south african,Canadian origins. I will never make the assumption that the racial slurs were made by Australian. I have always feel comfortable and confident in my skin. But some people have no tact when it comes to talking to people who look different...they lack the understanding that a certain way of talking to people might hurt their feelings. someone once said to me..."your wig looks nice"...I said excuse me what makes you think I am wearing a wig ...response "OH most women from Africa do...I guess their hair is hard to maintain"...I am not wearing a wig...I am one of those black women who actually takes care of her hair... and black women do grow long hair...oh and I am not really from Africa but if you classified Seychelles as Africa then that's ok too...That was my response and I walked away...Oh and the incident happened at a cocktail full of professional and educated people!!!....comments like that wear you down and t hurts no...However we do look at the funny side of things...Now when we go out my husband said "Make sure your wig is fix properly on your head :biggrin:

To me that is not a racist remark. It is made out of interest and curiosity: even if made out of ignorance it is certainly not intended to offend, in fact it sounds as though it was intended as a compliment.

I can imagine they would, to the point that even possible (if clumsy) complements could be misconstrued

Guest Guest16631

I can imagine they would, to the point that even possible (if clumsy) complements could be misconstrued
....................I think its often the tone of voice...............the way its said and the body language...................that differentiates between a compliment and a slight.............imo...........

Im not doubting the OPs experiences,but i DO find it extremely suprising that she finds Australia more racist than Russia,where large nazi/far right groups openly attack immigrants in the street.

A place where armed right wing groups have war camps in the forests with target practice with live ammo,put racist videos out on the net and hold mass marches against immigration,with even gvnmt ministers and prosecuters agreeing with these nazis,ive watched a lot of documentaries on it,in fact watch any sporting occasion and you will see the flack that they dish out to black people,so yeah,i find it very suprising.

IF the link works you will see why i find it suprising,if it doesnt google WIKIPEDIA...racism in Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Russia

In which case it is safer to say nothing, in case it is misconstrued and regarded as a racist comment. Then one is accused of being snobbish and unfriendly.

A racist comment is one which is intended to denigrate and, having known quite a few Australians and the sort of questions they ask, I suspect it wasn't meant to denigrate at all. But, as tink says, the tone of voice is everything...and tone of voice can mean different things in different cultures.

Guest Angelcake

So sorry you've had such a negative experience. Would you consider moving to a different part of Australia?

We live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane (I'm white, hubby black and have 3 mixed race boys). It's very multicultural here, lots of different cultures, Indian, Fijian, Samoan, Maori, African, English, Kiwis, South Africans, Philipinno, Chinese.

My boys have friends from all backgrounds and have never experienced any problems.

Well I would be offended too and probably pretty upset if someone said to me "your wig/hair extensions/whatever look nice", racist or not. It just shows complete ignorance and quite simply total lack of manners.

I mean why say wig instead of "your hair looks nice", seems to me that the wig was said intentionally because some african origin women do wear wigs.

To the OP, I am really sorry you had such a bad experience here in Perth. I wish you and your family well.

Guest stormgal
....But some people have no tact when it comes to talking to people who look different...they lack the understanding that a certain way of talking to people might hurt their feelings. someone once said to me..."your wig looks nice"...I said excuse me what makes you think I am wearing a wig ...response "OH most women from Africa do...I guess their hair is hard to maintain"...I am not wearing a wig...I am one of those black women who actually takes care of her hair... and black women do grow long hair...oh and I am not really from Africa but if you classified Seychelles as Africa then that's ok too...That was my response and I walked away...Oh and the incident happened at a cocktail full of professional and educated people!!!....comments like that wear you down and t hurts no...However we do look at the funny side of things...Now when we go out my husband said "Make sure your wig is fix properly on your head :biggrin:

I wonder what would happen if I casually asked someone, "So what made you so fat" - would they get offended? Do people make these kinds of casual and blunt comments? Or are these blunt comments only in relation to race?

Guest SupportPants
Im not doubting the OPs experiences,but i DO find it extremely suprising that she finds Australia more racist than Russia,where large nazi/far right groups openly attack immigrants in the street.

A place where armed right wing groups have war camps in the forests with target practice with live ammo,put racist videos out on the net and hold mass marches against immigration,with even gvnmt ministers and prosecuters agreeing with these nazis,ive watched a lot of documentaries on it,in fact watch any sporting occasion and you will see the flack that they dish out to black people,so yeah,i find it very suprising.

IF the link works you will see why i find it suprising,if it doesnt google WIKIPEDIA...racism in Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Russia

Because that's likely to be the fringes of the population I'm guessing. The nationalism and niggling

xenophobia/racism in Australia is IMO mainstream. Whether it's due to ignorance, isolation or first hand experience with Aboriginals its so common place in Oz it's something new migrants often find quite a dramatic change.

I wonder what would happen if I casually asked someone, "So what made you so fat" - would they get offended? Do people make these kinds of casual and blunt comments? Or are these blunt comments only in relation to race?

Yep you could be asked how come you are so fat, how come you are so thin. I remember a young lass I worked with and she was a hyper type of personality and stick thin, she probably will never put on weight just the way she is. She used to get asked all the time down the road about her eating habits and people made comments that she should eat more and mentioned anorexia etc. A lot of Australians feel the need to comment and make comments.

My daughter gets stopped in the street because she is quite good looking and told she is so beautiful and it happens a lot, how weird is that. A total stranger stopping you.

I have been called fat, who cares so what, I am fat not going to worry about it.

Thick skin is required

Just a rider to say, if you have not got children, expect the questions, why. Invasive I think so but a lot do not think so.

So any difference is questionable and questioned. Keep thinking of other things which being here for so long do not notice, my brother is gay so I tell everyone before I get the looks or the questions, get the so called "nasties" out of the way and hey presto no interest anymore.

Because that's likely to be the fringes of the population I'm guessing. The nationalism and niggling

xenophobia/racism in Australia is IMO mainstream. Whether it's due to ignorance, isolation or first hand experience with Aboriginals its so common place in Oz it's something new migrants often find quite a dramatic change.

Not questioning your opinion on the Aussie mindset,i havnt been there long enuf to judge,so time will tell,however racism in Russia isnt on the fringes,did you read the article?

Well I would be offended too and probably pretty upset if someone said to me "your wig/hair extensions/whatever look nice", racist or not. It just shows ... quite simply total lack of manners

Well, it's just as well you don't associate with my very attractive 20 something nieces because they (and their friends) are always receiving comments/compliments about their hair extensions/colour/style/clothes - from other women, I should add, not (only) from men on the make. I've even received comments about hair and clothes and I'm pretty ancient :wink:

In this country it is not regarded as a lack of manners.

It just shows complete ignorance ....

I mean why say wig instead of "your hair looks nice", seems to me that the wig was said intentionally because some african origin women do wear wigs.

In which case it can't be complete ignorance if the person who made the comment knew that and assumed it was the case.

The nationalism and niggling

A quarter of the Australian population is born overseas*, 60% have at least one parent born overseas, another 2+% identify as aboriginal - that would mean that the majority of Australians are xenophobic/racist about their own family.

I think not.

*compared with 8% overseas born in the 2001 UK census

Guest Guest16631

.................I have found that a lot of comments here in australia.......................need to be taken at face value.............there isn't usually an underlying agenda.......again body language and tone of voice are the give away....................comments are sometimes a little blunt.............sometimes it is easy to be too defensive............but then thats the viscious circle...............when exposed to racism once.............its sometimes difficult to not be defensive ...........imo..

I can't believe people are excusing what is basically a lack of manners and tact, whether it be to comment on someone's race, colour, BMI, facial hair etc.

TBH I haven't really seen any evidence that it's much different here to the UK in that respect. Manners are manners. People need to learn them as they grow up..it's called social conditioning.

I can't believe people are excusing what is basically a lack of manners and tact, whether it be to comment on someone's race, colour, BMI, facial hair etc.

TBH I haven't really seen any evidence that it's much different here to the UK in that respect. Manners are manners. People need to learn them as they grow up..it's called social conditioning.

No real long term experience of Aussies as you know h,i HAVE mentioned a few times i find them very straight tho,i dont mind that within reason meself,because i find it "similar" to Lpool,but some might say too blunt yes.manners cost nothing and are important to me

Guest Guest16631

.....................not excusing lack of manners...................but the social banter is different in that often the comments are more [struggling to explain here]..........blunt:wideeyed:..................some of the colloquialisms.......................would offend many in the uk .................but here terms of endearment such as ranger and others are acceptable................like I said its the body language that helps to interprate some of the more questionable remarks..................

Archived