Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

Guest jininiel

As a mixed race family our experience of Perth is not what we expected. Hubby is white British and I am black (professional with great career from UK and a masters degree...you'll see why I say that later!) Daughter 8 and son 6. Here goes and excuse typos: Perth is a nice place and the kids love the outdoor life but it is not really for us as a family and we are actually going back to UK at the end of the year after 2 years here. The kids get bullied at school coz of their colour (and they are in private school have a friend with similar issues and hers is in a public school) We've found out that a lot of people here are ignorant when it comes to interacial marriage. (we live North of the River)

I am quite shock how some people are stuck in a "time machine". My daughter has been told she has colour like poo. She's been called frizzy (hair texture), freak (apparently some people call the mixed aboriginal freaks so my daughter was called a freak at a public swimming pool). My son has been shoved at the swimming pool and being called "you black boy" and have his trousers pulled down at school! Disgusting! ...called "you poor black Indian" (oh he doesn't look Asian at all...lol) I am not a racist person and was not brought up to hate any race and I simply hate it the way they treat some people here. It really hurt us when our children are affected. I just cannot understand why mention colour of skin when it comes to people! My sister and I went to visit a Show Home, because she is is building a new house she wanted to get some ideas about interior design etc...A man heard us speaking creole (our native language as I am from Seychelles) and asked us where we were from. My sister said Seychelles and his respond was "I did not know that people from Seychelles were as black as you...I thought you were from Sudan or somewhere like that"...My jaw dropped and I was speechless...I just walked straight out. One day My husband took the kids to the Underwater Aquarium and a guy came up to him and said "are these two coloured kids with you...there is some black woman outside who's looking for her kids" Hubby turned bright red and didn't even answer (He said he wanted to punch him!) but my son asked why did the man called me coloured? I am not coloured...what does he mean by coloured daddy?. This man could have just Said "are these kids with you because there is a woman outside who is looking for her two kids" . And there is this woman who was talking to my husband and asked him if he has kids. Hubby said yes and showed her a photo of the kids in his wallet...her respond " Oh..they are quite dark...what colour is their mum"....Or a 16 year old boy in his class(Hubby is a teacher) who met him at the doctor's with our son and asked "Is he your son? and H said yes and his next question was why is he black? the list of incidents is endless! H and I laughed about it when the kids are not around because we find it hilarious that some people can be so so backward!. Each time H goes somewhere with the kids he gets asked lots of silly questions and as a family we get stare at a lot (it is very uncomfortable...now I don't like going out with hubby and kids). we have had enough and the kids cry a lot and want to go back to England because they hate school and don't have friends. In 1.5 years my son has been invited to one birthday party and almost every weekend he cries because invitation for a birthday party has been handed out and he never gets one. I have taken them out of school. They are being home schooled until we leave.

I said I am professional because when I was looking for a job, Hubby asked around, mostly people who have seen me with him and met briefly. The answers he got was Oh...there are are lot of cleaning jobs going. No disrespect to cleaners but they did not even asked for my background...just because I am black they assume I am only good for cleaning jobs...I have a first class degree, A masters degree and extensive work experience in Media, broadcasting and PR.

We came on a student visa because Hubby did a GTP in UK and it is not recognised as a teaching qualification here so he had to do the Grad dip in Education although he he taught for 7 years in UK and 2 years at an international school in Seychelles.When we left Uk I was the only one who did a medical test because I have a seychellois passport...(according to Oz immigartion I am a health risk...Oh by the way I lived in UK for 10 years!) In March we renewed the visa to graduate one and to see how things go before apply for the PR...I had to do to a medical test again because I come from a "high risk country". I do not know what that means because Seychelles do not have any high risk disease and babies are vaccinated there! when Hubby called them and told them that I have been in UK for 10 years, I did a medical before I left UK and have not left Australia in the last year and surely I don't need to do another one. And if I had something contagious the whole family would have contracted it by now...Their answer was " All we know is that she has a Seychellois passport not a British one" When I was in UK Hubby nagged me to get a British passport but I did not see why I should because my Seychellois passport in UK did not not hindered me in any way. Until I get an Australian passport or a Bristish one I will always be treated differently in OZ.

We were much happier as a family in UK and I hate the small/narrow minded attitude of people here. Sorry it's a long post but I just wanted to share our experience. Like I've said the list of incidents is a long one. We're leaving Australia because we feel that we do not belong. In UK my kids were never picked on because of being mixed race and I was certainly not discriminated against because of my passport. I have permanent residency in UK and was treated fairly when I went for job interviews etc...I married my husband for love not for a British passport. We thought we were bringing our kids here for a better life but at the moment we do not feel that way. We are aware there are racist pockets everywhere but feel that here in Oz you are either black or white ...mixed is a problem they don't know where to place you. We might have just been unlucky to be treated that way...but I know people who feel the same way too here. Its been an experience and I would encourage anyone to give it a try.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm I am Indian and a Permanent Resident, I am planning to get married to an Indian woman and live here and raise kids, reading your post about the treatment your kids got at school has certainly made me think.

certainly people here have views about every race, If you are an Indian, people think you work as a cab driver or work in 7/11 or a kitchen hand in some Indian restaurant

and any reporting in media will have information about the persons race or religion, for e.g.: the media reporting will go like, Mr. Hussien is a muslim and believed to be migrated from Iran or something like, Mr. Singh who is a sikh refused to remove his turban at immigration check, Singh who drives taxi part time is living in Australia on a overseas student visa....

and for e.g. if John is anglo saxon and catholic the media report will be like, John was caught speeding, he did a 100 in 40 zone and blew 0.10 when constable Jane Appleseed requested for a breath test, he was fined $3000 and licence suspended for a year. In this case there will be no information about Johns race or his religion.

Guest Guest16631

:hug:.................so sorry you have been subjected to this .....................especially your children...........:frown:..............but the unfortunate truth is that anyone outside of percieved norms are sometimes viewed with suspicion and unfriendliness.......any where in the world .by some and hopefully a mineority.......again due to lack of education...........so viewed with fear or suspicion...........though anyone outside of the norm can be a victim of discrimination..............:mad:..............I have a red haired freckled faced child.........................who was and sometimes still is subjected to name calling and bullying.............a child who used to be very chubby................2 years of bullying and no friends .....:mad:.......now lost the weight and a chef with a social circle of like minded people.............:smile:................any country is guilty of this sort of behaviour.........................if you look different to those around you it can take longer to make friends....................do you need to........??...........often by just being a happy family and teaching your kids to ignore the behaviour of bullies.......the unwelcome behaviour of others will fade into the back ground..................concentrate on makeing family time enjoyable and fun..............................or letting the school know......................................often by informing the teachers and asking for support is the first step..........................there are so many people out there..........................some are destined to be friendly..............and when asked where you are from ........tell them the Seychelles ................a beautiful place maybe they could visit ...................its a tropical paradise ...................full of friendly...and . colourful blend of peoples of different races, cultures and religions. .......much like australia in this respect ............:wideeyed::smile:.......or..............maybe just a move to a new area....................whatever you decide I wish both you and yours the best of luck.............tink.x..................:smile:

I am sorry you feel this way and have to say that Australians are very direct in what they say. That said they do not mean it to be racist or a criticism of you as a person or your family. They are interested.

I have a friend who is Filipino married to a white Aus and she has two children and never heard anyone say anything about them.

My daughter's boyfriend's mother is from Swaziland so he is coloured and no problems there.

If my children asked me if they were sky blue pink and they were I would agree that they were and explain why they were different. Its not a problem being different at all.

Kids at school are mean not just to your children but to any child who they perceive as different and it comes down to how the child responds whether they keep on with it.

To live in Aus you have to have a thick skin its the way they are and what they say.

My mum's friend is grandmother to two Korean children who were adopted by her daughter. No probs there.

Its not a narrow world here in Aus many many children were adopted from Vietnam after the war.

Maybe you just picked the wrong area. As far as cleaning jobs are concerned why worry about it, a lot of women do cleaning to fit in with family life as it suits rather than the career they are trained for it does not make them any less of a person.

We are so many different people living here in Aus I do find it hard to believe that its the majority, racism does exist but when someone insults a person of another race its usually reverse racism, sending up racism rather than actually being racist.

Good luck on your return to the UK.

Guest MADTOM

I am so sorry that you and your family have been subjected to such awful ignorance. It is hateful and completely unnecessary.

I am olive skinned (my mother was white british and I don't know about my father. I was adopted) my OH is white of my kids one is darker skinned but the other is blonde blue eyed. In South australia i did get called paki a few times, asked if I was an Aboriginal, one man pretended I wasn't there at all on the bus.

Aussies seem to have to label everything and have this fascination with where you come from, they are constantly saying "I am half Irish...." "My family is from ...." One of the first questions I get asked is "where are you from?" BUT in UK I had lots of kids calling every racist name you could find at school (this was in the 80's) More recently I had a man asking me where where I was from and if I spoke Engish - Huh! (I was with my kids on a bus in Matlock. I had an old guy tell me to "piss off nigger" back to my own country just cos I told him I was next in the queue! My MIL was appalled when I suggested my son looked like his Father pics at young age " Steven didn't have BLACK hair and BLACK eyes" she said

I agree that Australia seems to be in some kind of time warp when it comes to social interaction maybe cos of the reruns of programme like "love thy neighbour" and "Mind your language" or just plain stupidity and ignorance (in some, not all)

If I had experienced the same crap that you experienced I too would go as fast as I could. A few incidents are manageable but to be constantly dealt blows like that are intolerable especially when children are involved.

I hope you find a happy life in the UK xx

This is indefensible, but I would like to add some comments.

As a child I was bullied a fair bit in Perth because I had a slight English accent. (I'd spent a year in the UK after moving over from Sydney). They tend to pick on anything that is different. This isn't acceptable and needs to be confronted and stopped. But it's a hard battle to fight as you are outnumber and there is no one on your side. The worse is the be littling when people say you are making a fuss about nothing.

The media have a lot to answer for. I can't remember the last time I saw a non white person reading the news, or even reporting. They way things are reported is a disgrace. They need some international overseeing. It's a pity Aust is not part of Europe. They could learn a lot.

Perth people don't know how to deal with black people. I was 30 before I saw my first black person. People in Perth don't understand pc. This doesn't make them all racist, many are just ignorant and insensitive.

The law needs to be used to stop this behaviour. People go on about political correctness and blah blah blah about how it is out of control. But PC stops this sort of behaviour. It tells people what is acceptable and what is not.

It is a shame you are leaving, as things won't improve unless people make a stand. But I can understand why. Best wishes.

Why don't you try another state rather than packing it all in, giving up and moving back to the UK where you will feel bitter for the rest of your life?

You'll only end up blaming the whole of Australia as racist, some of the comments mention they pick on you because you look different so it's the differences that are the thing here, not racism.

Look I am now an Australian citizen and I wanted to be I do not want to be a a pc Brit anymore. I am sure that a lot of people are just like me but that does not mean that we would be mean to rude to people. People who are mean and rude will be no matter what the law says.

Guest Fireball

"Why don't you try another state rather than packing it all in, giving up and moving back to the UK where you will feel bitter for the rest of your life?

You'll only end up blaming the whole of Australia as racist, some of the comments mention they pick on you because you look different so it's the differences that are the thing here, not racism."

Agree on that!

WA is not really known for their anti racism, to say it the nice way. There are other states and cities where we white people are the minorities in certain areas and where its completely normal that you have colored skin. For me all people are the same though regardless of skin color or whatever.

On the other hand you need to understand that many Australians are born and raised in a very racist way and it takes some time to adapt...still its not the right behavior.

As a child I was bullied a fair bit in Perth because I had a slight English accent. (I'd spent a year in the UK after moving over from Sydney). They tend to pick on anything that is different. This isn't acceptable and needs to be confronted and stopped. But it's a hard battle to fight as you are outnumber and there is no one on your side. The worse is the be littling when people say you are making a fuss about nothing.

The media have a lot to answer for. I can't remember the last time I saw a non white person reading the news, or even reporting. They way things are reported is a disgrace. They need some international overseeing. It's a pity Aust is not part of Europe. They could learn a lot.

Perth people don't know how to deal with black people. I was 30 before I saw my first black person. People in Perth don't understand pc. This doesn't make them all racist, many are just ignorant and insensitive.

The law needs to be used to stop this behaviour. People go on about political correctness and blah blah blah about how it is out of control. But PC stops this sort of behaviour. It tells people what is acceptable and what is not.

It is a shame you are leaving, as things won't improve unless people make a stand. But I can understand why. Best wishes.

'Learn a lot from Europe? hmmm. - The Balkans, The Cold War, Northern Ireland, The Holocaust - and of course where did so many of the refugees from these and other conflicts go to forge a new life? I wonder. Can somebody help me here?

Australia probably has more laws to outlaw discrimination than any other. Apart from London, I can't imagine a more culturally diverse city than Sydney.

Not that that excuses the unpleasant experiences of the person who started this thread. Bullying is awful and I have suffered my fair share.

I thought I'd chip into this one. I'm a British Citizen by birth of Indian Origin. Racism exists all over the world, between white, black and indian etc...and also between minority races too. I'm a second generation immigrant, firstly from Africa where I was born (under the commonwealth flag) moving to the UK with my parents and now an immigrant in my own right to Australia (QLD). The one thing is that you can't let comments of a few dictate your life. If that was the case we would get no where at all. Qld is no different, its a huge country with a small population. Its a young country with a lot of history of racial issues and its only natural that opinions exist that go against the grain of multiculturalism. I'm a dentist, work in a very professional practice and love the life I have in Australia. Yes, I do get the odd comment from people, even patients, but one thing Ive learnt through my life is that people can be ignored and its up to us (as the minority) to help ourselves and others to understand our cultures, differences. Britain today is no better than Australia - USA is worse. I have found life in Australia to be rich, full of experiences, healthier and I wouldn't go back to my stressed old life. Ignore the comments, move states not countries. The feeling of being defeated by these comments is much worse than how the comments make you feel. Just my opinion, I have found a great set of friends here on the Sunshine coast in Qld, a lifestyle that I've always wanted and feel safe and happy. Perhaps you just need to move states.

• Like 1

Guest sh7t man no way

a very sad story indeed jininiel:no:sounds like your experience of Australia has not being a very good one,and you have had some troubled times--thank you for being brave enough to tell your story it would not have come easy--all i can say is you cant live your life feeling like this,and its best you return to what you know,and trust (uk) try,and not to take it personally--that sounds easier to say than do, but its the only way forward:wubclub:

I'm sorry you and your family have been treated like that - it's wrong and horrible.

I agree with the others who suggest you try a different area - Melbourne or Sydney tend to be a lot more multi-cultural and 'modern' in their attitudes, although there will still be some pockets of ignorance, they should be far outweighed by the rest of us!

Don't let the ignorant gits win!!

What a horrible story jininiel, I felt very sad reading that.

I have friends in Australia where she is Indian he is Italian. The first son arrives and looks Italian 100%, the double of his father and the 2nd son arrives and looks Indian 100%, the double of his mother. I used to feel very sorry for the mum when she was out with her sons, she would tell me stories of people thinking she was the Nanny. She is very intelligent and has her own successful business, she is the brains behind her marriage, yet people saw her as a nanny because of her colour and her skin colour difference to her son. I do feel for the sons when they grow up, people will question if they are true blood brothers due to the difference in colour. Its a shame how people question and can't just be accepting. We all know it will be due to people just curious, but sometimes it can go too far and they know this, its something they will have to cope with as time goes on.

Both children speak English, Italian and Indian - how lucky are they! If people could see it that way instead of in a negative way the situation could be turned around maybe, I hope so, as for me I am in awe for how multicultural the family is. Their meal times are fab, home cooked Italian and Indian to add to the usual meals, it was always a surprise when food is served :)

Guest jininiel
"Why don't you try another state rather than packing it all in, giving up and moving back to the UK where you will feel bitter for the rest of your life?

You'll only end up blaming the whole of Australia as racist, some of the comments mention they pick on you because you look different so it's the differences that are the thing here, not racism."

Thanks for all the responses and I appreciate all your concerns and I also respect other people’s opinion. My daughter and my son know why they are mixed race. Hubby is also an artist, trust me the colour mixture lessons have always been interesting! They know why they have black cousin and white cousins. My son was baffled when the man called him “coloured” because we’ve never used the term simply because there has been no need for it. They know mummy is black, daddy is white and they call themselves brown or black because to them these are colours….”coloured” is not really a colour…If you know what I mean. They cannot understand why they have to be picked on because of being different. What they have experience here in 18 months they have never experienced half of it in all the years in UK. Sometimes I do ask myself is it racism, curiosity or plain ignorance. Like my daughter said “why is my colour such a big deal mummy ?” We did not leave UK because we were unhappy so we are happy to go back. We left because in one year my husband lost his dad (he lost his mum when he was a teenager and being last born grew up with his dad so they were really close) and he fell ill that same year, had an operation and needed counselling for his bereavement. The kids were really close to their grandpa and were so upset there were no more Saturday visits or Sunday lunch with grandpa so we thought a brand new start somewhere else is what we all need. But the experience has not been that good. It is not nice when people label you…Once I was in the queue in a supermarket and someone said something to me and I did not understand so I said can you repeat that please…some lady behind me mumbled “bloody immigrant, learn English before they come here” (they speak in riddles here so sometimes I get lost!)…Or in church when a nun came and spoke to me in slow motion as if I lip read or don’t understand English…why ? because she saw a black Lady and assumed I don’t speak English…she spoke normally to the other people or the mums and dads at school who will happily speak to my husband and totally ignore me…or the removalists (2 of them same reactions) who came to my door and when I opened looked a bit shocked and asked if they were at the right door…double checking their paper work and asked if I am Mrs so and so.. (Oh I have an Irish surname …lol…black woman...Irish double barrel surname…umm ) My point is we know we are different and proud to be but why make us feel uncomfortable. Like I’ve said we are happy to go back. Both husband and I can walk in a job or do supply teaching as we are both qualified teachers, kids were happy with lots of friends. Honestly we had a good life in UK. Lived in a small town with lots of friendly people. Sometimes I'll walk in town and realised that I am the only black person in the supermarket today today:biggrin:...No one cared! On a lighter note now when people ask my husband if J and K are his kids he says “ Oh No. they are just some kids who like following me around”…He says the look on their face is priceless..lol..(he is a big joker my H)

Guest GoldCoastMag

Snip> The media have a lot to answer for. I can't remember the last time I saw a non white person reading the news, or even reporting. They way things are reported is a disgrace. They need some international overseeing. It's a pity Aust is not part of Europe. They could learn a lot. <

Maybe I watch different channels, but I constantly see different ethnicities on the newscasts, there are some journalists with different accents also on the radio.

It certainly is a shame that people like the op feel so bad at the comments, I am trying not to sound defensive, and know that not all australians are trying to discriminate.

To the OP I am sorry it isnt working for you here and would have hoped that you could setttle and you and your family would be happy and content. Its a real shame that you have been treated this way and maybe another area in the country may have given you a different experience.

Maybe I watch different channels, but I constantly see different ethnicities on the newscasts, there are some journalists with different accents also on the radio.

It certainly is a shame that people like the op feel so bad at the comments, I am trying not to sound defensive, and know that not all australians are trying to discriminate.

To the OP I am sorry it isnt working for you here and would have hoped that you could setttle and you and your family would be happy and content. Its a real shame that you have been treated this way and maybe another area in the country may have given you a different experience.

On SBS for sure.

Interesting bit on Paul Murray Live tonight - about Wallaby Radike Samo and Aussie fans blacking their faces and putting on Afro wigs.

Commentator said it would not be done in the US or UK but in Australia it's different. Those fans see him as a cult figure - they are playing homage to him and he knows that. Of course that won't stop the PC brigade complaining about it.

It's the same way that they used to wear Merv Hughes moustaches and Andrew Symonds wigs when the were playing

I am so sorry that you have had such a rotten experience but I wont say I am surprised. Even the Poms cop it sometimes but whites can generally hide it by losing an accent - there are very nasty xenophobic undertones here and it all depends on which is the latest lot of immigrants to be the butt of jokes and snide comments. It has always been that way unfortunately.

I hope you find a colour blind place when you move on to UK!

Guest Guest 47403
I thought I'd chip into this one. I'm a British Citizen by birth of Indian Origin. Racism exists all over the world, between white, black and indian etc...and also between minority races too. I'm a second generation immigrant, firstly from Africa where I was born (under the commonwealth flag) moving to the UK with my parents and now an immigrant in my own right to Australia (QLD). The one thing is that you can't let comments of a few dictate your life. If that was the case we would get no where at all. Qld is no different, its a huge country with a small population. Its a young country with a lot of history of racial issues and its only natural that opinions exist that go against the grain of multiculturalism. I'm a dentist, work in a very professional practice and love the life I have in Australia. Yes, I do get the odd comment from people, even patients, but one thing Ive learnt through my life is that people can be ignored and its up to us (as the minority) to help ourselves and others to understand our cultures, differences. Britain today is no better than Australia - USA is worse. I have found life in Australia to be rich, full of experiences, healthier and I wouldn't go back to my stressed old life. Ignore the comments, move states not countries. The feeling of being defeated by these comments is much worse than how the comments make you feel. Just my opinion, I have found a great set of friends here on the Sunshine coast in Qld, a lifestyle that I've always wanted and feel safe and happy. Perhaps you just need to move states.

Excellent post Rakesh, racism exists in every country in the world bar none, run away from the issues and they'll be here for generations to come, no one regardless of colour should feel inferior, move your kids to another school by all means but don't run away from the problem stand your ground or every Black or mixed race kid in that area will always get the same treatment.

Trust me there are areas in the UK you will get a lot more than name calling as I'm sure there are areas in Oz that are worse than where you are, if you don't confront things how are we supposed to get rid of racism?

Sorry to hear of your experiences, unfortunately the Aussie's a lot of the time are plain Bogan and lack a lot of life experiences. There are the good ones and you will get good and bad areas as always. Some areas are more mulch-cultural than others, here in Qld, south of Brisbane there are many many different race. There does seem to be a lot of generalization too with the cultures and what people perceive them to be, other side of it is ignorance...

Sorry to hear of your experiences, unfortunately the Aussie's a lot of the time are plain Bogan and lack a lot of life experiences. There are the good ones and you will get good and bad areas as always. Some areas are more mulch-cultural than others, here in Qld, south of Brisbane there are many many different race. There does seem to be a lot of generalization too with the cultures and what people perceive them to be, other side of it is ignorance...

I don't know what 'life experiences' Aussies lack in a 'first world country of 22 million plus' with first rate technological, medical, educational etc etc standards.

Don't the they travel overseas enough? Highly unlikely as they are amongst the most adventurous of travellers.

To the OP, so sorry to hear about your dreadful experiences and I hope you will be happy going back home. Me and hubby are white british and we have both experienced "pommy-bashing" throughout our 5yrs here and it's getting beyond a joke at times even though we have tried to be fairly relaxed about it. He is in the army and I found out that his nickname is "immigrant"!! This is what they shout to him, every day! He's pretty easy going about it as far as possible because in that macho arena he has no choice. I think it's disgusting! I've always had reactions to my accent as I'm from the West Midlands...but I take no notice anymore. We hope to return to the UK in 12-18mths time, can't come soon enough for us! We have had some really happy times here in Adelaide over the past 5 years, but I just want to go home now....

I think its hard for anyone who is perceived to be "different" many children in Aus these days who live in same sex partnerships and they have to go to school and take the jibes. They cannot return to another country though as its the same all over the world

Prejudice is always going to be there from some people but we must not tar the majority of people.

I believe that the op said her children were at private school well they can be one of the worst places for jibes about parents not having enough money, coming from the wrong side of the tracks its not just people of mixed race who get picked on at school.

As has been said we have to make a stand and go forward, there are many many people living in mixed race marriages these days and some of them have to give up their families to do so, but their children will have a better life and that is what its about.

We have to be proud of who we are and not feel put down, if people choose to jibe at us.

I remember being in the States with my oh and we were just walking along the road from the docks as our ship was berthed there, the sheriff stopped us and told us we could not walk there it was very dangerous for our type of people.

Again in Israel we were warned not to go to a certain area of a certain city as we would not be safe.

Thats life and thank goodness I live in Aus.