Jump to content

Iron Chef

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Iron Chef last won the day on December 23 2011

Iron Chef had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

402 Excellent


About Iron Chef

  • Rank
    The Import Oracle (?!)

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. You won't need to change the registration to her name, you can still bring both over (assuming your wife lives at the same address you do!).
  2. Hi Charlie, and welcome! Of the two, the Volvo is a better bet, financially. Based on those numbers, I wouldn't bring the VW over ( althoughworth also checking Car Sales for retail prices here, as I suspect they're much higher than Redbook at the moment). Bear in mind you would only be able to bring one vehicle over, unless you have a partner who also has the correct licence for the car you want to import.
  3. Hi John, and welcome. Being a 2017 model, you will be fine for asbestos. I think testing rates are running at about 2% here, and only on cars that present the most risk (mostly classic cars out of the US).
  4. That's awesome. Please tell me you didn't pay any tolls while you had those plates on. I found out from Queensland TMR that tolls legally only to apply to Australian registered vehicles
  5. From what I can see of prices locally, it's a 'only bring it if you love the car' type deal. I doubt there will be any money to be made on it. Interestingly I don't think we got the HSE here, only the SE.
  6. Amazing work! I hope you kept the Japanese export plates as a souvenir. I presume they were the ones that run English characters rather than kanji/hiragana?
  7. Hi Lisa, I sent you a reply about an hour after you emailed, maybe check in your junk folder?
  8. Interesting! I know some people have tested the theory that they bring the car over here on a carnet for 12 months, then apply for it as a personal import, send it out of the country and bring it back in again. Not an easy process, but apparently it can be done.
  9. My apologies, I missed the notification that you had posted in here! I'm responding via email, you'll see it shortly
  10. It has to be a visa that is either permanent or has the potential to become permanent. If it has the potential for you to remain here indefinitely, then yes it would work. Really the only ones that are a problem are tourist, working holiday and student visas.
  11. Hi Ironchef, do you do 'is it worth it' scenarios for campervans? Thanks


  12. Hello and welcome! It's worth considering, mainly because your mileage is so low compared to what is available here. Late model Discos hold their value well here.
  13. Hello Ironchef, you are the oracle on importing cars but are you able to give any advice/information about the temporary import of a campervan from the UK into Australia for an extended trip of up to 12 months?

    We have a panel van conversion campervan (Autotrail on a Fiat Ducato) which is 5 years old & we've owned it from new. 

    Any pointers on where to look for further information would be gratefully received. TIA




  14. If you have the same number of cars as drivers (ie two cars, two people with driver's licences moving to Australia), just bring it over as a personal import. In terms of cost savings, that only comes at registration time. The import costs are exactly the same. So you can import it as a personal import, then keep it in the shed here and register it as a classic car when it reaches 25 years old. We're based in Australia. My clients have never struck any issues with insurance - we can help you with getting it either way. In terms of selling, private sale is the way to go because private buyers generally don't care too much. Dealers, on the other hand, will often use it as a means of screwing down your trade-in price, even though British-spec cars are virtually the same as Aussie ones aside from mph odometer/speedometers. You folks really need to give up on imperial measurements!
  15. Actually, based on those two figures, it makes sense to bring it over. The used car market in Australia is pretty strong at the moment, and Mazdas hold their value really well here. Allow around 3 months for the whole process. If it's a classic car (over 25 years old), your husband can register the car as a historic vehicle, which is a much easier and cheaper process than normal registration. No problems with the car going to your house or wherever before completing the registration process.