Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Maka Paka

That's one of the reasons we came back from Oz(Brisbane),the blatant racism and backwardness (If that is a word..LOL) of the majority of the Ozzies we befriended.

They think we will laugh at all there "Abo" jokes and put downs,but we British are a bit more tolerant than that..Thankfully.

I love the way that Britain has many cultures and races of people living in relative harmony!

The crux is that if you want to migrate to Australia do not come and think you can change it, its the way it is, get over it. People who do not like it can return to shangrila where they came from.

I have been here a long long time and never once have I thought I should change the way Aussies think, I came as a migrant to a country for a better way of life and it has given me that. If there are warts along the way so be it.

I often read most UK papers and read of letter box bombs etc, I have never known that to happen here, we do not have letter boxes for a start in our front doors and who cares if someone knocks the letterbox off at the end of the garden. UK has a lot to learn from other countries and people who believe its so wonderful should just stay put.

Don't come with blinkers on, Australians will insult you if you believe they are insulting, its us who are so precious.

Life is way tooooooooooooooo short to live on negatives all the time think on the positives and let the people fight their own battles.

The way some people deride Australians on these forums is racism in my view so lets move on from that.

If you hate the place ok go home, if you just have a few niggles move on, strangers are strangers who cares what they think.

That's one of the reasons we came back from Oz(Brisbane),the blatant racism and backwardness (If that is a word..LOL) of the majority of the Ozzies we befriended.

They think we will laugh at all there "Abo" jokes and put downs,but we British are a bit more tolerant than that..Thankfully.

I love the way that Britain has many cultures and races of people living in relative harmony!

I live in brisbane. Haven't heard an "abo" joke in years and I experienced far more racism in the UK. Should I just label Australians non racist and Brits racist then because of my personal experience? I also love the way that Australia has many cultures and races of people living in relative harmony! Far more people born overseas live in Australia than the UK.

..we British are a bit more tolerant than that..Thankfully.

Kelis didn't think so..:eek:

R&B star Kelis has claimed she was racially abused by a UK man at an airport, and claimed "racial issues in the UK are disgusting."

The star was flying from London to Spain after performing at Bestival on the Isle of Wight.

She wrote on Twitter that she had been criticised by a "50-year-old man" after she jumped the queue while going through passport control.

She said the man had called her a "slave" and a "disgusting Nigerian".

Kelis said she was also called "Kunta Kinte" - a black character from Alex Haley's slavery novel Roots.

The 32-year-old singer continued: "I didn't say anything at the time of the riots in London for a lot of reasons. "It's [the UK] racially decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don't talk about it.n"People don't fight about it. Not mentioning a problem doesn't make it go away."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14917431

It happens everywhere, no country is immune to the problem unfortunately.

R&B star Kelis has claimed she was racially abused by a UK man at an airport, and claimed "racial issues in the UK are disgusting."

The star was flying from London to Spain after performing at Bestival on the Isle of Wight.

She wrote on Twitter that she had been criticised by a "50-year-old man" after she jumped the queue while going through passport control.

Kelis said she was also called "Kunta Kinte" - a black character from Alex Haley's slavery novel Roots.

The 32-year-old singer continued: "I didn't say anything at the time of the riots in London for a lot of reasons. "It's [the UK] racially decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don't talk about it.n"People don't fight about it. Not mentioning a problem doesn't make it go away."

I notice that she did not deny jumping the queue. Why did she do that? Did she think that she was above queuing perhaps? When you are waiting patiently in a queue, there is nothing more irritating than to see some 'jumping'.

I notice that she did not deny jumping the queue. Why did she do that? Did she think that she was above queuing perhaps? When you are waiting patiently in a queue, there is nothing more irritating than to see some 'jumping'.

I think once you're called a "slave" and a "disgusting Nigerian" the queue jumping becomes a bit of a moot point doesn't it? :err:

I think once you're called a "slave" and a "disgusting Nigerian" the queue jumping becomes a bit of a moot point doesn't it? :err:

I'm not trying to defend his comments BUT when you are in a stressful situation (and airports and planes are No 1 for me) you sometimes 'lose it'. Perhaps that guy is the sort of 'X' rated Scrooge who calls EVERYBODY he meets something nasty. On the other hand, perhaps, once he cooled down he felt embarrassed.

My Mother died as a result of an accident in which she was knocked over by a dog. I'm not usually a dog hater but, for a while I turned into a Dr Jeckel & Mr Hyde type character.

I'd be out for a walk, a dog would dash towards me, and, particularly if the owner used the immortal words 'Don't worry, he won't hurt you,' I would launch into a huge and foul-mouthed rant.

Usually the owners were the sort of people I relate to - middle aged, middle class but I would often be shouting something like 'a bleeping dog like yours killed my bleeping mother. Why don't you keep the bleeping thing under control. If I see it again I'll bleeping kill it.'

I feel a bit ashamed of that sort of rant now but in the first couple of years after my Mum died it felt all 'very' raw.

[i often read most UK papers and read of letter box bombs etc, I have never known that to happen here, we do not have letter boxes for a start in our front doors and who cares if someone knocks the letterbox off at the end of the garden. UK has a lot to learn from other countries and people who believe its so wonderful should just stay put.] i was the master bomb maker amonst the kids in my street ,before guy falkes night was banned. i must admit that i blew up more letter boxes than anybody in my nieghbourhood using my devious timing device[spit on the wick] i am also a paid up member of "The Australian Rascist Party' if you cant speak english after fifty years you'll have to go back to where you came from

I get really fed up with people labelling Australians as racist.

Like so many people have said - yes some are, lots aren't, just like in ALL other countries...

For anyone returning to the UK because they're living in a La-la land where they believe the UK isn't racist, get real. It's just as racist - possibly more so than Australia...

And for those talking about letter bombs etc - we've had 3 suspicious packages in Canterbury within the last 2 weeks. Canterbury is not London, when Mum & Dad called during the riots I laughed at them when they asked if we had any problems here. It's just ridiculous I said - nobody threatens Canterbury! One of the packages was at a primary school.

Please STOP making racist general comments about Australians, I find it very offensive.. IT IS RACISM!!

I'm not trying to defend his comments BUT when you are in a stressful situation (and airports and planes are No 1 for me) you sometimes 'lose it'. Perhaps that guy is the sort of 'X' rated Scrooge who calls EVERYBODY he meets something nasty. On the other hand, perhaps, once he cooled down he felt embarrassed.

My Mother died as a result of an accident in which she was knocked over by a dog. I'm not usually a dog hater but, for a while I turned into a Dr Jeckel & Mr Hyde type character.

I'd be out for a walk, a dog would dash towards me, and, particularly if the owner used the immortal words 'Don't worry, he won't hurt you,' I would launch into a huge and foul-mouthed rant.

Usually the owners were the sort of people I relate to - middle aged, middle class but I would often be shouting something like 'a bleeping dog like yours killed my bleeping mother. Why don't you keep the bleeping thing under control. If I see it again I'll bleeping kill it.'

I feel a bit ashamed of that sort of rant now but in the first couple of years after my Mum died it felt all 'very' raw.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think. I would rather think up scenarios why she jumped the queue then scenarios why such disgusting language was waiting to come out of him for such a trivial thing.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think. I would rather think up scenarios why she jumped the queue then scenarios why such disgusting language was waiting to come out of him for such a trivial thing.

Perhaps she thought 'I'm a star, I'm important. Why should I wait with the common herd?' And he thought (as I would although being a wimp I would have said nothing) 'she's up herself.'

If the thought police could only install tape recorders in all our cars, what awful language and sentiments would they record. The anti-ism courts would be full and booked for the next century after only a day's worth of recording!

Perhaps she thought 'I'm a star, I'm important. Why should I wait with the common herd?' And he thought (as I would although being a wimp I would have said nothing) 'she's up herself.'

If the thought police could only install tape recorders in all our cars, what awful language and sentiments would they record. The anti-ism courts would be full and booked for the next century after only a day's worth of recording!

I feel for language like that to be at his tongue in an incident like this that the odds overwhelmingly support that he is likely a raving racist.

Guest guest57588

Her comments certainly give some food for thought. It's worrying if the UK is perceived by the rest of the world as being decades behind in terms of attitudes towards race. I know this is only one person's view expressed in this particular case, but if it's representative of other peoples experience of the UK then it shows that there's a lot of work still to be done and that there's no room for complacency on this issue.

Guest Guest 47403

It would be interesting to know what colour/race the 50 year old man was, what she claims she was called just don't seem like the sort of comments a typical white English racist would say.

Guest guest57588
I feel for language like that to be at his tongue in an incident like this that the odds overwhelmingly support that he is likely a raving racist.

Absolutely. That's the language of hatred and ingrained intolerance. I wouldn't say 'raving' though because I'm sure this individual knew exactly what he was saying and how it would cause maximum hurt to the recipient. Sadly it reminds me of an incident a while back at either Sydney or Melbourne airport involving Kelly Rowland from Destiny's Child. She complained about Quantas and how they'd treated her entourage. I remember MSN running the story and there being emailed comments from readers. Some of the stuff posted there was vilely racist and the forum was closed pretty quick. It doesn't seem to take much to trigger this stuff from some people.

I suspect that we all have language on our tongues, given the right or perhaps wrong circumstances.

What was it that Aboriginal activist Larissa Behrindt said about fellow Aboriginal activist Bess Price?

She tweeted 'I've just watched a show where a guy had sex with a horse and that was less offensive than Bess Price.'

Lucky for Behrindt that she wasn't a white man because, as we all know, there is a sliding scale of the seriousness of the offence.

I suspect that we all have language on our tongues, given the right or perhaps wrong circumstances.

Like everything there is a scale. From those who revel in racism and use it freely to those who do not think that way at all, and everything in between along the scale.

Acknowledging that the scale exists does nothing to diminish the immorality of this man who finds himself down the wrong end.

Who is the 'midget'?

Controversy

In 2011 Kelis accused Great Britain of having racial issues via her Twitter account after saying that a white man racially abused her after accusing her of queue jumping in the immigration queue.[37][38][39]. However, it should be noted that if the incident had occurred, the man would have been from a non-European Union country as European Union citizens (which includes British people) would not be in the same immigration queue as US citizens

Who is the 'midget'?

Controversy

In 2011 Kelis accused Great Britain of having racial issues via her Twitter account after saying that a white man racially abused her after accusing her of queue jumping in the immigration queue.[37][38][39]. However, it should be noted that if the incident had occurred, the man would have been from a non-European Union country as European Union citizens (which includes British people) would not be in the same immigration queue as US citizens

Why the focus on nationality? The man is a racist wherever he is from. We all got em. I understand she is accusing GB but her issues with GB seem more long standing than one incident but her opinion doesn't mean its true.

Who is the 'midget'?

Controversy

I have no idea who or what kelis is, apart from being an American female. Taking the 'American' bit into account, I'd say she's not the most reliable witness ( thinking only fools and horses in the USA) when saying that this bloke was english. Could've been Australian, Irish, Scottish, welsh, south african, kiwi, Zimbabwean....need I go on?

Archived