Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

At a guess the midget would be her child?

Is that an acceptable word to use if applied to one's kids but not if it's about one's height-challenged servant?

Still, one of my fave characters on Game of Thrones is the 'half-man' or the 'imp'?? Going to put that on now too, been saving it up all week for Friday night as my once a week ersatz sex experience.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest 47403

Can we not get Burnett back on the thread I'd like to she her balanced take on the Kelis subject, sure pablo would enjoy it too :laugh:

Guest Guest 47403
Any idea what else has happened to her in the UK?.

This didn't even happen in the UK it was in a Spanish airport and from that she's managed to determine the UK has an inherent racism problem, not sure how she has come to that conclusion.

Guest guest57588
This didn't even happen in the UK it was in a Spanish airport and from that she's managed to determine the UK has an inherent racism problem, not sure how she has come to that conclusion.

Oh ok, sorry, misread the original post re Kellis. Do we now still know whether her abuser was British?

Oh ok, sorry, misread the original post re Kellis. Do we now still know whether her abuser was British?

I was in Florida in 94,had an argument with a fisherman because he was skinning a fish live to use as bait,he couldnt understand a word i said,probs because of my accent,im not sure an american could distinguish accents tbh,could have maybe been from any english speaking country?who knows.....

Guest guest57588

This has gotta be one of the best threads ever: dwarves, rock-stars, history, considered debate, ill-considered prejudice, rushes to judgement and lessons in grammar from Harpo. Something for everyone!

Guest Guest 47403

I originally thought it was at a UK airport it's only after reading the full article realised it was in Spain.

Don't think the nationality is known just what she has said but as other people have said she wouldn't have been in the same queue as British passport holders, plus the comment made to her whilst totally uncalled for (and very racist) wasn't what I'd expect to hear out of the mouth of a typically racist person from the UK. But I wasn't there so just my thoughts really.

Guest guest57588
I originally thought it was at a UK airport it's only after reading the full article realised it was in Spain.

Don't think the nationality is known just what she has said but as other people have said she wouldn't have been in the same queue as British passport holders, plus the comment made to her whilst totally uncalled for (and very racist) wasn't what I'd expect to hear out of the mouth of a typically racist person from the UK. But I wasn't there so just my thoughts really.

Thanks Baz. Very interesting. Just goes to show how big a part the media have to play in an issue like this and how sometimes you have to look beneath the headlines.

Guest Guest 47403
I was in Florida in 94,had an argument with a fisherman because he was skinning a fish live to use as bait,he couldnt understand a word i said,probs because of my accent,im not sure an american could distinguish accents tbh,could have maybe been from any english speaking country?who knows.....

True pabs I struggle with the difference between American and Canadian accents tbh even some Aussies and Kiwis, also South Africans and Zimbabweans.

What happened to Gordon Ramsay's midget? Sorry but I live a sheltered life on Foxtel Sports 1,2,3 with occasional forays into the Movie Channel for True Blood & Game of Thrones.

I've just been thinking about another problem with Australian racism. If the majority of us (I include myself as an Aussie by virtue of my being a citizen since 1983) are inherently racist and all the laws that the various Governments - Federal & State - have passed have had no effect, then that is a pretty depressing scenario.

And things can only get worse because the appearance of each new face on our shores is going to be like throwing another Molotov Cocktail on the flames?

Maybe we need some kind of anti-racism drug? I'd better get my broker to purchase some more shares in those drug companies. I've had some excellent returns from the tobacco & alchohol stocks.

Where there's muck there's brass and all that!

I read that he could not have been British because Brits, being EU citizens do not go thru the same passport controls as non-EU citizens.

She probably just thought 'typical white bloke - he must be a Limey.'

Guest Maka Paka

I find your position nationalistic, illogical and unsupported by any facts but it is your opinion however wrong I find it.

Just as a laugh....who were those multicultural invaders you speak of and why did such a multicultural people (for centuries no less) treat the aboriginals so badly ? :biggrin:

Nah I'm not Nationalistic,just someone who doesn't like racist ideas..I don't care what my neighbour is or what he or she practices or looks like,as long as they are not busting my chops and breaking the law!

I think you will find the invaders were the ewoks,then they were wiped out by the death star.....Sad really! Poor ewoks!

I've been the subject of some pretty nasty comments in the UK - ok they were nationalist rather than racist (for my sins I'm a white-skinned Aussie expat) but they really hurt.

It was the first time I'd ever encountered such a thing and I think the worst thing was - it was from a couple of my colleagues! (A bunch of professional scientists) I must point out it was only from 2 of them, most others were totally offended on my behalf. Mind you, that's what they said afterward - noone jumped up to my defense at the time.

The other weird thing was a taxi driver who told me I was Irish, and wouldn't believe me when I said I was an Aussie, 10 minutes of him asking what part of Ireland I was from - surreal.

And VictoriaP - I hope Melbourne's treating you right, I think people generally often stare unintentionally when they're trying to figure out where people are from.

i've been asked if i'm irish twice and i have a cockney accent!

aint that weird?

my response now is to ask them what part of new zealand there from:laugh:

Guest tapaniburton

hey mate

im sorry to hear of your experiance in my home country.

sigh,.this world is increasingly more and more complex and racism is a common quality found around the world in any country and on any continent, no?

i have lived in scandinavia for years and i know that the people are of course racist not as aggresively so as you would likely experiance in our other european countrys, if at all. but a kinda exclusionary quality, is the norm. i have had to migrate back to aus as it has proved all for naught.

i know what it feels like to be degraded when you dont deserve it.

we as a race have a long long way to go to evolve beyond these petty concerns :\

i know we australians can be all those things you mentioned and none of them. we are a mixed bag quite like the brits we started out as :P.

any way i wish you all the best for what it is worth from a stranger you will never meet.

lots of love to you and your lovely sounding family

steve

As I drive around the city, I am constantly making judgements about the people I see - 'He/She's good looking, fat, ugly, skinny, spunky....what does he/she see in him/her, God what an awful haircut, why does an old so and so get to drive a Beemer?'

And then, as I'm a bit of Jeckyll & Hyde character when I'm driving, 'Get a bleeping move on you slow bleep, what are you bleeping doing? bleeping typical' and I'm sure I nearly hit a bloke as I was turning right into Moncur St by the Woolahra Hotel. I was glancing into the pub but he never even saw me.

My point? How do you stop people making value-judgements about the people they come into contact with?

What happens if someone you work with has BO or bad breath or both? What if someone you don't like suffers misfortune?

Sometimes people blame it on racism/sexism/ageism but it's got nothing to do with that. You just don't like them!

As I drive around the city, I am constantly making judgements about the people I see - 'He/She's good looking, fat, ugly, skinny, spunky....what does he/she see in him/her, God what an awful haircut, why does an old so and so get to drive a Beemer?'

And then, as I'm a bit of Jeckyll & Hyde character when I'm driving, 'Get a bleeping move on you slow bleep, what are you bleeping doing? bleeping typical' and I'm sure I nearly hit a bloke as I was turning right into Moncur St by the Woolahra Hotel. I was glancing into the pub but he never even saw me.

My point? How do you stop people making value-judgements about the people they come into contact with?

What happens if someone you work with has BO or bad breath or both? What if someone you don't like suffers misfortune?

Sometimes people blame it on racism/sexism/ageism but it's got nothing to do with that. You just don't like them!

Sometimes yes,but to deny some people dont like somebody because of the colour of their skin,religion,country of birth,accent etc is optomistic at best to me.

[/color]

Sometimes yes,but to deny some people dont like somebody because of the colour of their skin,religion,country of birth,accent etc is optomistic at best to me.

I had a great night in a Korean restaurant in Chinatown tonight, tried Korean beer and wine, asked a Korean couple near me what they were drinking and they offered me a taste of their wine, then these two guys on the next table did the same thing - Ethiopians they were. Got a taxi home and the driver was a Fiji-Indian.

I had a great night in a Korean restaurant in Chinatown tonight, tried Korean beer and wine, asked a Korean couple near me what they were drinking and they offered me a taste of their wine, then these two guys on the next table did the same thing - Ethiopians they were. Got a taxi home and the driver was a Fiji-Indian.

I read recently that 7 of the 20 most common surnames in NSW now are of east Asian origin and Nguyen (Vietnamese) is in the top 12 for all of Australia.

We are talking about people BORN overseas in the last census for which the figures are available.

24 % of the Australian population was born overseas

8% of the UK population was born overseas.

You cannot say a majority of Aussies are racist unless you have personally interviewed at least 11 million of them.

Very true but remember the great majority of immigrants to Australia are born in the UK followed by NZ.

Australia has only had a visible immigration (non white) has only been part of the picture since fairly recent times with the arrival of Indo Chinese refugees in the late seventies.

Numbers only really stood out around the mid eighties.

UK on the other hand had well established communities from the Sub Continent and West Indies.

Faces on the streets of London still look far more diverse than any Australian city.

[/color]

I agree, although I believe that if people meet other races through friends or work they get to know them just like the natives and make their own assumptions on being friends or not.

I would say Aussies are less likely to approach someone who is "different" and try to make friends with them.

I agree, although I believe that if people meet other races through friends or work they get to know them just like the natives and make their own assumptions on being friends or not.

I would say Aussies are less likely to approach someone who is "different" and try to make friends with them.

In Sydney that 'someone who is "different"' is likely to be 'European!'

As a mixed race family our experience of Perth is not what we expected. Hubby is white British and I am black (professional with great career from UK and a masters degree...you'll see why I say that later!) Daughter 8 and son 6. Here goes and excuse typos: Perth is a nice place and the kids love the outdoor life but it is not really for us as a family and we are actually going back to UK at the end of the year after 2 years here. The kids get bullied at school coz of their colour (and they are in private school have a friend with similar issues and hers is in a public school) We've found out that a lot of people here are ignorant when it comes to interacial marriage. (we live North of the River)

I am quite shock how some people are stuck in a "time machine". My daughter has been told she has colour like poo. She's been called frizzy (hair texture), freak (apparently some people call the mixed aboriginal freaks so my daughter was called a freak at a public swimming pool). My son has been shoved at the swimming pool and being called "you black boy" and have his trousers pulled down at school! Disgusting! ...called "you poor black Indian" (oh he doesn't look Asian at all...lol) I am not a racist person and was not brought up to hate any race and I simply hate it the way they treat some people here. It really hurt us when our children are affected. I just cannot understand why mention colour of skin when it comes to people! My sister and I went to visit a Show Home, because she is is building a new house she wanted to get some ideas about interior design etc...A man heard us speaking creole (our native language as I am from Seychelles) and asked us where we were from. My sister said Seychelles and his respond was "I did not know that people from Seychelles were as black as you...I thought you were from Sudan or somewhere like that"...My jaw dropped and I was speechless...I just walked straight out. One day My husband took the kids to the Underwater Aquarium and a guy came up to him and said "are these two coloured kids with you...there is some black woman outside who's looking for her kids" Hubby turned bright red and didn't even answer (He said he wanted to punch him!) but my son asked why did the man called me coloured? I am not coloured...what does he mean by coloured daddy?. This man could have just Said "are these kids with you because there is a woman outside who is looking for her two kids" . And there is this woman who was talking to my husband and asked him if he has kids. Hubby said yes and showed her a photo of the kids in his wallet...her respond " Oh..they are quite dark...what colour is their mum"....Or a 16 year old boy in his class(Hubby is a teacher) who met him at the doctor's with our son and asked "Is he your son? and H said yes and his next question was why is he black? the list of incidents is endless! H and I laughed about it when the kids are not around because we find it hilarious that some people can be so so backward!. Each time H goes somewhere with the kids he gets asked lots of silly questions and as a family we get stare at a lot (it is very uncomfortable...now I don't like going out with hubby and kids). we have had enough and the kids cry a lot and want to go back to England because they hate school and don't have friends. In 1.5 years my son has been invited to one birthday party and almost every weekend he cries because invitation for a birthday party has been handed out and he never gets one. I have taken them out of school. They are being home schooled until we leave.

I said I am professional because when I was looking for a job, Hubby asked around, mostly people who have seen me with him and met briefly. The answers he got was Oh...there are are lot of cleaning jobs going. No disrespect to cleaners but they did not even asked for my background...just because I am black they assume I am only good for cleaning jobs...I have a first class degree, A masters degree and extensive work experience in Media, broadcasting and PR.

We came on a student visa because Hubby did a GTP in UK and it is not recognised as a teaching qualification here so he had to do the Grad dip in Education although he he taught for 7 years in UK and 2 years at an international school in Seychelles.When we left Uk I was the only one who did a medical test because I have a seychellois passport...(according to Oz immigartion I am a health risk...Oh by the way I lived in UK for 10 years!) In March we renewed the visa to graduate one and to see how things go before apply for the PR...I had to do to a medical test again because I come from a "high risk country". I do not know what that means because Seychelles do not have any high risk disease and babies are vaccinated there! when Hubby called them and told them that I have been in UK for 10 years, I did a medical before I left UK and have not left Australia in the last year and surely I don't need to do another one. And if I had something contagious the whole family would have contracted it by now...Their answer was " All we know is that she has a Seychellois passport not a British one" When I was in UK Hubby nagged me to get a British passport but I did not see why I should because my Seychellois passport in UK did not not hindered me in any way. Until I get an Australian passport or a Bristish one I will always be treated differently in OZ.

We were much happier as a family in UK and I hate the small/narrow minded attitude of people here. Sorry it's a long post but I just wanted to share our experience. Like I've said the list of incidents is a long one. We're leaving Australia because we feel that we do not belong. In UK my kids were never picked on because of being mixed race and I was certainly not discriminated against because of my passport. I have permanent residency in UK and was treated fairly when I went for job interviews etc...I married my husband for love not for a British passport. We thought we were bringing our kids here for a better life but at the moment we do not feel that way. We are aware there are racist pockets everywhere but feel that here in Oz you are either black or white ...mixed is a problem they don't know where to place you. We might have just been unlucky to be treated that way...but I know people who feel the same way too here. Its been an experience and I would encourage anyone to give it a try.

Perth remains somewhat insular and parochial but the outside world is encroaching in recent years on this fair city.

I have seen far more Afro faces on the streets here in Perth than have witnessed in other Australian cities. Have worked with a number of people from East Africa who hold good positions as well as some black Brits.

Of course there are nowhere near the numbers of black immigrants and locals as in a city like London,but compared to sixteen years ago,when very few black people at all were visible the numbers here now are considerable.(very small c)

I have heard of a few unfortunate experiences but by and large considering the 'newness' of Africans within the midst, I've found it more an indifference than any other emotion at least from an observers view.

I am fully aware that if I was black I may well have another view through experience of a more personal nature.

I do think though that the tolerance at least in a city such as London is far more evident than here in Australia.

Archived