Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

Not sure why you felt the need to state what gets up an Aussies nose. Although two things not done with much degree of enthusasim or vigour here is speaking up or speaking out.

No one would ever accuse Sydney of being radical these days surely? Certainly not in thought. I am well aware how things were before prior to i'd say the eighties and how much progress has indeed been made in many areas.

Thing being of course is that few places in the world have stood still during that time.

Australia in general is generally thought of as a conservative nation and I have seen little to warrent a change of thinking alone those lines.

Sydney depending on where one lives is a pretty decent city considering many things to be in though.

I thought some of the comments were patronising about Aussies.

Not sure which newspapers or radio stations you read/listen to but the newspapers - Herald/Tele/Australian letters pages - and 2GB, 2UE, 702 are full of people expressing their opinions and 'speaking out'. Im watching Paul Murray Live on Fox as I write and again it is full of vigorous debate about the day's news.

'Conservatism' is not about resistance to change but wanting change to proceed slowly and not be imposed from abroad. Hence John Howard having the temerity to say that 'WE will decide who comes to our country.'

Many of the countries that judge Australia are actually much more conservative, resistant to change, racist, etc, but as usual, double standards rule.

I suspect that if Australia's parliament suffered some mysterious virus that wiped out all of our MP's - 'The Mother Parliament' could dispatch a couple of hundred Labour & Tory MP's to take their place and we would never notice the difference!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought some of the comments were patronising about Aussies.

Not sure which newspapers or radio stations you read/listen to but the newspapers - Herald/Tele/Australian letters pages - and 2GB, 2UE, 702 are full of people expressing their opinions and 'speaking out'. Im watching Paul Murray Live on Fox as I write and again it is full of vigorous debate about the day's news.

'Conservatism' is not about resistance to change but wanting change to proceed slowly and not be imposed from abroad. Hence John Howard having the temerity to say that 'WE will decide who comes to our country.'

Many of the countries that judge Australia are actually much more conservative, resistant to change, racist, etc, but as usual, double standards rule.

I suspect that if Australia's parliament suffered some mysterious virus that wiped out all of our MP's - 'The Mother Parliament' could dispatch a couple of hundred Labour & Tory MP's to take their place and we would never notice the difference!

I agree in the broadest sense as do watch Paul Murray and thank goodness for the ABC and SBS. As for the John Howard quote that was highly effective spin aimed out population at large looking to make political gain.Something of a farce as a very large number of those people involved in that matter quitely came in through the back door from Nauru at a later date.

The conservatism I refer to would include more a disinterest in the political process by the vast majority, along with an acceptance without many questioning a whole raft of rules and laws along with a discomfort for difference. Conformity playing a cenre for many.

The problem was not with the fact that ten per cent lorded it over the rest but that the ten per cent were white. There are a number of countries still where minority tribes/races/castes rule and of course plenty of dictatorships that existed both before and after apartheid and nothing is ever really said about them.

That's right about India and the Islamic world. It IS illegal but does that stop the honour killings, the murders of lower castes, female circumcision, legal rapes, death by stoning etc. etc.

Yes there are/were other countries ruled by minorities by I don't think I can think of any with such advanced economies,ie rich,as were South Africa and Rhodesia, which I think in part is where the difficulties arose.

Whether the benefit achieved since those times has been worth it I think questionable.I was for the Hong Kong solution. Allow the change to happen over a period of time say twenty years.

As for your second point no outlawing these things doesn't stop it but then neither do laws stop people bin this country from wife beating or child molestering or driving a car intoxiocated.

Traditions in old societies can be expected to take many generations to dissolve.

Yes there are/were other countries ruled by minorities by I don't think I can think of any with such advanced economies,ie rich,as were South Africa and Rhodesia, which I think in part is where the difficulties arose.

Whether the benefit achieved since those times has been worth it I think questionable.I was for the Hong Kong solution. Allow the change to happen over a period of time say twenty years.

As for your second point no outlawing these things doesn't stop it but then neither do laws stop people bin this country from wife beating or child molestering or driving a car intoxiocated.

Traditions in old societies can be expected to take many generations to dissolve.

I guess that Robert Mugabe shows he is no exception to the rule that, if you are black, you can do what you like, once you are in power. Think of what Idi Amin was doing to Uganda in the midst of the anti-apartheid protests around the world.

It is interesting perhaps to imagine what Australia and New Zealand would have been like had the Aboriginal and Maori populations outnumbered the whites by the same sort of ratio as in Southern Africa?

The laws in this country might not stop people from committing those crimes BUT the police and courts DO enforce the laws

It used to be entirely acceptable to drink and drive but I do not think that is the case any more.

And I don't think you will find too many people who condone wife beating/child molesting.

But some of the immigrant communities still think that honour killing, for instance is right, despite what the law says. The difference is that in UK/Australia they will be punished.

I agree in the broadest sense as do watch Paul Murray and thank goodness for the ABC and SBS. As for the John Howard quote that was highly effective spin aimed out population at large looking to make political gain.Something of a farce as a very large number of those people involved in that matter quitely came in through the back door from Nauru at a later date.

The conservatism I refer to would include more a disinterest in the political process by the vast majority, along with an acceptance without many questioning a whole raft of rules and laws along with a discomfort for difference. Conformity playing a cenre for many.

In Australia the population is 'encouraged' to take at least a passing interest in the political process because it is illegal not to vote if you are enrolled.

2GB & 2UE might be run by 'shock jocks' but they spend all day and sometimes all night discussing political issues & current affairs and they enjoy vast audiences and nearly always top the ratiings.

I suspect that the audiences for Q & A and Question Time in Parliament are not much different to the corresponding programmes in the UK.

The newspapers all devote page after page to current affairs too.

People here get just as worked up about the same issues - the economy, health, unemployment, immigration, etc.

I'm so sorry you've experienced such awful treatment in your time here. Do you think it's a localised problem with the specific area you are living in? Have you looked elsewhere in WA?

I can't speak personally on the subject of racism or mixed race families, but our neighbours (from the UK) are mixed race and have 3 wonderful children and as far as I know have not experienced any of the type of attitude towards them that you have in the time since they arrived in WA earlier this year. ( I say as far as I know, as they only moved in across the road from us last month). The boys who attend the same school as my children are very settled and happy and have alot of friends.

I have seen a few other mixed raced families here, (who have mutual friends in common) along with indian, sudanese and many other races of families living here in our suburb and they are all happily settled and experiencing non of the problems you have.

I think some aussies can be likened to the "OAPS of the UK" in their terminology... my own mother refers to black or asian people as coloured and I HATE it and always tell her off... she says it's her age (80) and that's how she grew up and that she isn't being offensive... doesn't mean she is racist, just means she is a bit blummin ignorant and maybe that's some of what you're experiencing?? Some say that Australia is about 20 years behind the rest of world with some things..... and in others they're still about 40 years behind..

I hope your experiences don't have a lasting effect on your family and that the kids, wherever they are find some lovely friends who deserve their friendship.

I agree, although I believe that if people meet other races through friends or work they get to know them just like the natives and make their own assumptions on being friends or not.

I would say Aussies are less likely to approach someone who is "different" and try to make friends with them.

Fair do's petals,you know aussies better than me mrs:notworthy:,but the few weeks we spent there...... all the aussies invited us to parties and stay behinds:wubclub:,rubbed out in the end tbh:swoon:

Fair do's petals,you know aussies better than me mrs:notworthy:,but the few weeks we spent there...... all the aussies invited us to parties and stay behinds:wubclub:,rubbed out in the end tbh:swoon:

I suppose I should qualify if you have a laugh etc always accepted.

That said how about us poor Collingwood Supporters no-one likes us :laugh:

I suppose I should qualify if you have a laugh etc always accepted.

That said how about us poor Collingwood Supporters no-one likes us :laugh:

Awww we had a laff petals! beer garden(pariahs/smokers),me and jan and loads of ordinary aussie lads/girls,all of them wondering where were from,scotland or Ireland:goofy::jiggy::jiggy:

Nite all:wubclub:,im off!

Awww we had a laff petals! beer garden(pariahs/smokers),me and jan and loads of ordinary aussie lads/girls,all of them wondering where were from,scotland or Ireland:goofy::jiggy::jiggy:

Nite all:wubclub:,im off!

We were up visiting my son when he was living out of Mildura in the wheat country and he has a lot of farmer friends, great people, and one of them kept on asking my oh to speak, he has a geordie accent and he was just fascinated and oh just took it and laughed along. Australians are very inquisitive people and not afraid to ask.:laugh:

Also when my kids were at school the kids used to say to our kids, your dad talks funny

like every western country there is racism, sexism and i even enjoyed some ageism, applied for job as pool tech with large well known franchised company ( no, not Jims), had phone chat, my exp in plumbing almost sealed the job there and then. sent of resume' never heard and called to be told they opted for someone more 'junior'. nice, and this woman was english too.

i just take it and jog on. all happens for a reason

We were up visiting my son when he was living out of Mildura in the wheat country and he has a lot of farmer friends, great people, and one of them kept on asking my oh to speak, he has a geordie accent and he was just fascinated and oh just took it and laughed along. Australians are very inquisitive people and not afraid to ask.:laugh:

Also when my kids were at school the kids used to say to our kids, your dad talks funny

I was talking to a couple of Yorks people at the beach - I said 'your accent sounds stranger than an Aussie accent to me, coming from Hampshire.'

Awww tell me about it petals! used to see an american girl from kentucky for about 18 months who was living in London,on a nite out her mates from the usa,oz,london etc would allways ask me to say "chickqqen",or anything with "ck" in it,amused them greatly!:rolleyes::mad::laugh:

Guest guest12791

Did anyone see the news at tea time asking the public in brisbane what they thought of the queens visit to Australia, i was a bit took aback when they showed a man saying shes a pom get rid of her and another guy said im a greek australian and i agree get rid of her. I know that some people feel this way but to actually broadcast it i was shocked. I thought about any british kids watching and how they might have felt at the coment, maybe im soft but i didnt know what to think,

Annemarie

Did anyone see the news at tea time asking the public in brisbane what they thought of the queens visit to Australia, i was a bit took aback when they showed a man saying shes a pom get rid of her and another guy said im a greek australian and i agree get rid of her. I know that some people feel this way but to actually broadcast it i was shocked. I thought about any british kids watching and how they might have felt at the coment, maybe im soft but i didnt know what to think,

Annemarie

Because some people think Australia should become a republic doesn't mean that they are racist....it just means they think Australia should become a more independent country. It doesn't mean that they dislike the Queen, either....just that they think it is inappropriate in this century for the head of a foreign country also to be the head of Australia.

And I'd hope that "any british kids" watching would understand what the issue is. After all, there are people in the UK who do not support a monarchy either.

PS: These views on monarchy are not necessarily my personal views.

Annemarie

The next time Julia visits Brisbane you could probably find a few people to interview who hate her too!

Knowing the news teams they probably asked a thousand people what they thought of the Queen before they could find someone nasty about her!

Guest guest12791
Because some people think Australia should become a republic doesn't mean that they are racist....it just means they think Australia should become a more independent country. It doesn't mean that they dislike the Queen, either....just that they think it is inappropriate in this century for the head of a foreign country also to be the head of Australia.

And I'd hope that "any british kids" watching would understand what the issue is. After all, there are people in the UK who do not support a monarchy either.

PS: These views on monarchy are not necessarily my personal views.

Hi Skani yes you are right, i never thought of the monarchy , when he said shes a pom get rid of her i took it as get rid of the poms, told ya im soft hahaha

Annemarie

Guest guest12791
The next time Julia visits Brisbane you could probably find a few people to interview who hate her too!

Knowing the news teams they probably asked a thousand people what they thought of the Queen before they could find someone nasty about her!

Hi mary rose, yep your right i just took it personal as in get rid of the poms , im not a follower of the queen i just saw it on tv and was suprised

Annemarie

hmm I am Indian and a Permanent Resident, I am planning to get married to an Indian woman and live here and raise kids, reading your post about the treatment your kids got at school has certainly made me think.

certainly people here have views about every race, If you are an Indian, people think you work as a cab driver or work in 7/11 or a kitchen hand in some Indian restaurant

and any reporting in media will have information about the persons race or religion, for e.g.: the media reporting will go like, Mr. Hussien is a muslim and believed to be migrated from Iran or something like, Mr. Singh who is a sikh refused to remove his turban at immigration check, Singh who drives taxi part time is living in Australia on a overseas student visa....

and for e.g. if John is anglo saxon and catholic the media report will be like, John was caught speeding, he did a 100 in 40 zone and blew 0.10 when constable Jane Appleseed requested for a breath test, he was fined $3000 and licence suspended for a year. In this case there will be no information about Johns race or his religion.

Spot on mate!..I tried explaining these stereotypes in another thread...and was pounced upon by fellow Indians and Pakistanis..even the thread was removed by the mod,stating "he/she,is looking into it!"...an acknowledgement and then addressal of the issue is much better than live in denial,especially when they are announcing to the world that they are multi-cultural!.

The problem was not with the fact that ten per cent lorded it over the rest but that the ten per cent were white. There are a number of countries still where minority tribes/races/castes rule and of course plenty of dictatorships that existed both before and after apartheid and nothing is ever really said about them.

That's right about India and the Islamic world. It IS illegal but does that stop the honour killings, the murders of lower castes, female circumcision, legal rapes, death by stoning etc. etc.

Right.So,because India ( in urban areas), and do have (in rural areas) these issues,it is justified that coloured folks,get a bit of flack from aussies,is it?..

Arent you guys,tired of using the caste system and the Islamic laws as a counter excuse?..I mean,we left those parts of the world,only to escape the very queer things,that you just mentioned!...only to come here and face the taunts on our colour?!..and then some aussie,under the pretext of 'speaking his mind,because that is qunitessentially Aussie"..would slam back,saying ..."if you want to whine...go back!.."..yes,the person who started this thread is one of many,who would eventually do that exactly!

It is a stand similar to Melbourne's Police Commissioner..."the students are far more safer here than they are in India"...huh?..why dont you address the issue and efforts to tackle it rather than give a comparison of how safe Australia is vis-a-vis rest of the world?

I don't think India or any of the Islamic countries ever had an immigration programme up and running though.

Right.So,because India ( in urban areas), and do have (in rural areas) these issues,it is justified that coloured folks,get a bit of flack from aussies,is it?..

Arent you guys,tired of using the caste system and the Islamic laws as a counter excuse?..I mean,we left those parts of the world,only to escape the very queer things,that you just mentioned!...only to come here and face the taunts on our colour?!..and then some aussie,under the pretext of 'speaking his mind,because that is qunitessentially Aussie"..would slam back,saying ..."if you want to whine...go back!.."..yes,the person who started this thread is one of many,who would eventually do that exactly!

It is a stand similar to Melbourne's Police Commissioner..."the students are far more safer here than they are in India"...huh?..why dont you address the issue and efforts to tackle it rather than give a comparison of how safe Australia is vis-a-vis rest of the world?

I don't think India or any of the Islamic countries ever had an immigration programme up and running though.

The problem is that when people come from India or Islamic countries SOME, not ALL, want to perpetuate their customs, which we consider barbaric and medaeval but they justify because they have been practising them for centuries or it's a part of their 'culture.' It's the same in the UK of course and when someone is punished by 'our' laws their community considers 'our' laws to be the problem.

The attacks on Indian students were nasty but they were (a) not racist i.e anyone unfortunate enough to have been in the wrong place would have been attacked, and (b) the attacks were commited by other 'ethnic' groups i.e. they were not White Aussies!

No country is perfect but how many 'Australian' refugees' are there living in fear of retribution from ASIO around the world?

..if you are not employed you get paid dole...as is also the case,if you are a single mum with more kids!....and the mines are being sold off to china,which is being projected as a stable and prosperous economy...who would want to seek refuge else where?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/10424491/undiagnosed-toddler-died-in-terrible-pain-coroner/

And this guy is a specialist!?!?

...The general belief amongst us 'colored' professionals is that the outcome would have been very different,if the fellow had been 'overseas trained' and the parent response much more vociferous as was the case with whoever that chap Patel,who was trained in the US but despite which,all Indian docs received a flack in Qld..'cause color is easiest to distinguish!...

The problem is that when people come from India or Islamic countries SOME, not ALL, want to perpetuate their customs, which we consider barbaric and medaeval but they justify because they have been practising them for centuries or it's a part of their 'culture.' It's the same in the UK of course and when someone is punished by 'our' laws their community considers 'our' laws to be the problem.

The attacks on Indian students were nasty but they were (a) not racist i.e anyone unfortunate enough to have been in the wrong place would have been attacked, and (b) the attacks were commited by other 'ethnic' groups i.e. they were not White Aussies!

No country is perfect but how many 'Australian' refugees' are there living in fear of retribution from ASIO around the world?

Yes,Aussies have greater tolerance to behaviour of cats and dogs,who do not have the same genetic code as themselves;in fact,they find it rather cute! In comparison have lesser tolerance to cultures of other human beings,who have 100% same genetic code!..and would rather dismiss them with adjectives such as barbaric and 'medaeval' (medieval)

Archived