Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

Yes,Aussies have greater tolerance to behaviour of cats and dogs,who do not have the same genetic code as themselves;in fact,they find it rather cute! In comparison have lesser tolerance to cultures of other human beings,who have 100% same genetic code!..and would rather dismiss them with adjectives such as barbaric and 'medaeval' (medieval)

Aren't 'Barbaric' & 'Medieval' (always have problems with that word but should have used my spell check) the right words to describe practices like 'female circumcision', 'death by stoning', 'honour killings' 'the system of castes with untouchables at the bottom.'

Most Aussies treat their pets as members of their family. My brother's family were distraught when one of their dogs went missing, Perhaps it is a measure of our humanity that we become as upset over the ill-treatment of a dog or a cat as we do over the (ill) treatment of another human being?

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aren't 'Barbaric' & 'Medieval' (always have problems with that word but should have used my spell check) the right words to describe practices like 'female circumcision', 'death by stoning', 'honour killings' 'the system of castes with untouchables at the bottom.'

Most Aussies treat their pets as members of their family. My brother's family were distraught when one of their dogs went missing, Perhaps it is a measure of our humanity that we become as upset over the ill-treatment of a dog or a cat as we do over the (ill) treatment of another human being?

Right!

'TOO' right!

There has to be a system to make the aussies aware about the migrant lot.

All brown folks need not be clubbed together and sweared at as "Pakis!"..."Pakis" include,Hindus,Muslims,Christians and Buddhists!..it is not our fault that Islamist radicalist bombed white countries!...and I can understand the ire against Muslims, but what did the rest of us who are not Muslims do?...our fault is our color?

The barbaric and medieval acts mentioned;is the community sure that it is being practised here in Australia as well?

A Chinese old lady who was helped with her luggage on tram kept on saying "Che Che"..which in mandarin means Thank you Thank you!...and all these 'white aussies' on board could do,was laugh at it!....whats funny exactly?

DIAC runs the immigration system efficiently like a factory..but does little to educate the local community or the migrant about local customs and sensitivities.It is understood,that when in Rome,do as the Romans do but all that the govt does is take the couple of thousand off foreign nationals and then throw them in!...

Organizations like the RSPCA are run very well but unsure if there are any to create community awareness and awareness amongst the migrants for their new home!

All this mud slinging could be addressed by accepting there is a problem and addressing it,rather than staying perennially in denial.

All brown folks need not be clubbed together and sweared at as "Pakis!"..."Pakis" include,Hindus,Muslims,Christians and Buddhists!..it is not our fault that Islamist radicalist bombed white countries!...and I can understand the ire against Muslims, but what did the rest of us who are not Muslims do?...our fault is our color?

I think you are confusing race and religion - the two are not the same. The Islamist Radicalists are not carrying out acts of terror on 'white' peoples, they are carrying them out on 'infidels' - peoples that do not believe the same as they do, no matter what the colour of their skin or what country their heritage is from. This can be seen by the fact they have bombed Asian locations, African locations and so on - nothing to do with the colour of someone's skin.

To confuse the two is one of my pet hates - just because your ethnic heritage is White European does not mean you are Christian (of whatever branch), you may well be a Muslim, Sikh, Wicca or Atheist. Similarly just because you are of Pakistani heritage does not mean you are any given religion. Religious persecution imho is more prevalent than racism, and the two get mixed up - if I think you are wrong because you believe in a different believe system to me is that fundamentally wrong? Basically, no, because otherwise I am admitting that my own believes aren't that important surely. But to believe you are wrong because of the colour of your skin, eyes or hair (which add up to the same thing - and leads us to the question, if its ok to affectionately rib a ginger nut, why isn't it ok to affectionately rib someone with different to us colour skin as well in the same way?), that isn't a believe, its a plain fact and therefore doesn't challenge any belief system I might have - I can't 'believe' that you are purple, when really you are green, can I? (unless we really are all seeing different colours but calling them the same thing, which is where it gets very confusing indeed lol) But I can believe there is only one true God, whereas you believe there are many - at odds with each other.

The key to it all though is whether we can agree to disagree and all go about our merry way side by side. The fundamentalists are just nutters hiding behind a particular banner - most nutters have something they blame for making them do it, and a higher power in the guide of 'religion' is a great one to blame.

The barbaric and medieval acts mentioned;is the community sure that it is being practised here in Australia as well?

A Chinese old lady who was helped with her luggage on tram kept on saying "Che Che"..which in mandarin means Thank you Thank you!...and all these 'white aussies' on board could do,was laugh at it!....whats funny exactly?

DIAC runs the immigration system efficiently like a factory..but does little to educate the local community or the migrant about local customs and sensitivities.It is understood,that when in Rome,do as the Romans do but all that the govt does is take the couple of thousand off foreign nationals and then throw them in!...

Organizations like the RSPCA are run very well but unsure if there are any to create community awareness and awareness amongst the migrants for their new home!

All this mud slinging could be addressed by accepting there is a problem and addressing it,rather than staying perennially in denial.

Perhaps 'Che, Che' just sounds funny and people laugh at lots of situations which are patently NOT funny - eg someone slipping on a banana skin or a postman being bitten by a dog, but how are you going to stop that? Tell a succession of racist/sexist,ageist jokes in Government-approved re-education centres where anyone who laughs at inappropriate humour is 're-educated?' How do you know it was cruel laughter. Why not give credit to the people who were helping her?

Some people migrate to Australia keen to start a new life, free from unpleasant aspects of their original countries. Others want to re-create them. Why, for instance, do some Moslems want to introduce Sharia Law to Australia? What's wrong with our existing laws?

Considering the ACTUAL number of racist attack/incidents in Australia, compared to the numbers of people from around the world who have migrated here, I think we have been very welcoming.

We need to start worrying when there is a 'Cronulla Riot' every week all over Australia.

Perhaps 'Che, Che' just sounds funny and people laugh at lots of situations which are patently NOT funny - eg someone slipping on a banana skin or a postman being bitten by a dog, but how are you going to stop that?

They aren't laughing (generally) because its funny or not, they are laughing because they feel uncomfortable with the situation and its a human reaction to that situation to laugh. Get a room of strangers to stand nose to nose with each other and most of them will giggle and laugh - its a coping mechanism.

(I would argue that someone slipping on a banana skin is massively funny if done correctly, ala Charlie Chaplin but there you go...)

They aren't laughing (generally) because its funny or not, they are laughing because they feel uncomfortable with the situation and its a human reaction to that situation to laugh. Get a room of strangers to stand nose to nose with each other and most of them will giggle and laugh - its a coping mechanism.

(I would argue that someone slipping on a banana skin is massively funny if done correctly, ala Charlie Chaplin but there you go...)

It's the 'dog biting postman/woman' one that gets to me. I worked as a postman altough I never did deliveries. Being bitten is one of the most traumatic things that can happen but it's a standard joke in the British press.

Sometimes I laugh at politically incorrect jokes - I can't help it, It IS funny cue 'The Life of Brian!' - 'It's miracle, I can see...................' something like that? (like Scotty on the Enterprise - 'I know this ship like the back of my hand.') They did 'stonings' well too didn't they?

Perhaps 'Che, Che' just sounds funny and people laugh at lots of situations which are patently NOT funny - eg someone slipping on a banana skin or a postman being bitten by a dog, but how are you going to stop that? Tell a succession of racist/sexist,ageist jokes in Government-approved re-education centres where anyone who laughs at inappropriate humour is 're-educated?' How do you know it was cruel laughter. Why not give credit to the people who were helping her?

Some people migrate to Australia keen to start a new life, free from unpleasant aspects of their original countries. Others want to re-create them. Why, for instance, do some Moslems want to introduce Sharia Law to Australia? What's wrong with our existing laws?

Considering the ACTUAL number of racist attack/incidents in Australia, compared to the numbers of people from around the world who have migrated here, I think we have been very welcoming.

We need to start worrying when there is a 'Cronulla Riot' every week all over Australia.

What about us,who are not Muslims and ergo,have nothing to do with Sharia law or whatever the latest ire in the media is.

Isn't that why the OP started the thread...that at school and other public places,the locals make fun of,and bully,'cause of looks?....

Dean Jones,the cricketer and commentator got sacked from a channel commentary team coz he addressed Hashim Amla a South African cricketer as a terrorist because he kept a beard!...serves him right,if you ask me..although I like him as an ex cricketer...Then,there was this media uproar,when on the show "Hey Hey" on channel 9,colour was made the centre of a joke!...all good and innocent humour according to the channel..but why not err on the side of precaution when there are sensitivities related to chroma?....then again,people would defend this with Freedom of Speech argument!..there are a plethora of subjects about which you can have a laugh and a joke!....there has to be a fair give and take on both the sides,I suppose...especially when the land was built by migrants..Just 'cause some have been here for a couple of generations,does it imply that they should behave in an uptight fashion,with any coloured family, arriving from overseas and slip it through under the pretext of "rough Aussie humour"..

In addition to citizenship test,they should then administer a test,for holding your own in a local bar in a regional city!..where all the wild remarks come out,after a couple of drinks!:).. and a test for being accepted in the community,which would be run by the Local council!..these would be teh acid tests to see how well,the migrant has integrated in Australia!..'cause no matter what laws,the commonwealth comes up with,the Racial Vilification Law,for instance,it is going to be very tough to enforce these,without social acceptance or alleviation of ignorance....Should have suggested that when I sat the test!:)

Btw,No one thanked me for helping the Chinese lady and neither did I help the lady,expecting a thank you in return,but that's besides the point.

Ok..guess,have not made any friends..in here..with the past few comments...but just felt strongly about it and thought was making a point..but judging by the past few comments..it is sure to end up with folks who are going to deny everything and lead the discussion to Muslims,Sharia law..and what not!..so,yup,will suck it up....

Australia is a great country...and if the people and the community is a tard sensitive to the hard working coloured folks who contribute to the community,it would truly end up being Utopic!..

End of my rant,after this on, this thread.

Good luck!...to us!

Cheerio!

Archived