Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

Guest Shell15

We are moving 1400 cubic feet plus car and 2 motocross bikes in a high cube 40foot - agreed price with John Mason at £7175..the bidding started at £7800 with four other companies.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First quote today . Said we would need a 40ft container. we have are moving a 4 bed house. Haven't seen many people quoting price for 40 ft container - they suggested a high cube. This is not including any car. anyone else out there to share a 4 bed house quote.... Two more quotes in next 2 days. will post all 3 after that.

I got a quote for a 40ft including car (4 bedroom house) for £6,650 N Ireland to Sydney.

We are moving 1400 cubic feet plus car and 2 motocross bikes in a high cube 40foot - agreed price with John Mason at £7175..the bidding started at £7800 with four other companies.

We must have a lot of "stuff" as we are not taking a car and appear to be able to fill a 40 ft container! Did your quote include insurance or storage or crates? Are yor contents from a 4 bed house. Our first quote is 7115. But then additions for crates for TVs, crate for electric piano, decontamination or insurance. We will need storage at the Perth end and have been quoted as Handling In/out at AUD693 and AUD 151 Weekly.

More quotes later this week.

Who was you quote from? We must really have a lot of things? 2 double beds, 1 king, i single, cupboards, 2 dining suites, 1 5-seater sofa, 2x 3 seater, 3 lounge chairs, 3 tvs, guitars and piano, washing machine, dryer, fridge, freezer , clothes , linen and additional things - books etc. Does this sound similar to your contents?

Guest Shell15

Hi, we have a four bedroom house with garage bits (4 push bikes etc) as well. Pretty much the same as you - 4 tellies 1 very large, piano, dining table with 8 chairs, 3 double beds, full bedroom furniture x 2 including 2 x large wardrobes. 4 seater sofa, 1 x 2 seater sofa, 2 x single seater sofa, coffee table, side tables x 5..pretty much the same as you. It does sound like you have been over quoted though. When you receive your quote check the cubic feet and compare it to ours. We had 5 quotes in total and the amount ranged from 1400 - 1700 cubic feet + car and bikes. The price does not include any insurance as we are doing this ourselves - its much cheaper and no storage as we wont need it ( I hope)..

Has anyone just got quotes for personal things in part container

Had 2 companys out today and 2 are coming tomorrow so far we have been quoted as needing 500 and 575 cubic feet, so part container. One company who does not come out (er why) said we neede sole use of a 40ft!!!! Mainly taking personal stuff, plus 2 beds, side board, table, tv cabinet. Will post the list with quotes next week.

Tina family of five

Who was you quote from? We must really have a lot of things? 2 double beds, 1 king, i single, cupboards, 2 dining suites, 1 5-seater sofa, 2x 3 seater, 3 lounge chairs, 3 tvs, guitars and piano, washing machine, dryer, fridge, freezer , clothes , linen and additional things - books etc. Does this sound similar to your contents?

Super king/King/Twin beds, will leave the triple bunks behind. 2 suites 2/3. Dressers/4 bookcases/tv unit/coffee tables/dressing table/6 chest of drawers/kitchen table and 4 chairs/8 dining room chairs, not taking the table though, pictures and ornaments etc/5 tvs/dvd players etc! 3 bikes, some garden furniture unwrapped. leaving all the used stuff as too old and too much hassle. Not bringing wardrobes as we have built in here.

Guest Shell15
The £6,650 which includes the car in the container, door to door within 30 miles of Sydney. I just wanted a ball park figure, not ready for definites yet. :biggrin:

Does that include full packing service with boxes and packing materials i,e, bubble wrap etc...the reason I ask is we had a quote of similar amount but when i read through the finer print it was not including the removal company doing the packing nor did it include the cost of the boxes - they were an extra. They can be very expensive, especially as they have quoted me 12 boxes just for my clothes (not even including me shoes) lol !

Does that include full packing service with boxes and packing materials i,e, bubble wrap etc...the reason I ask is we had a quote of similar amount but when i read through the finer print it was not including the removal company doing the packing nor did it include the cost of the boxes - they were an extra. They can be very expensive, especially as they have quoted me 12 boxes just for my clothes (not even including me shoes) lol !

Overseas-PREMIUM PLUS SERVICE (notexceeding 1 x40ft container). Collect, export

wrap, pack, label, inventory,high security seal,

ship,normal customs clearance, delivery to

residence within 30 mile radius of Sydney,

unpack, basic set-up and removal of packing

debris. Vehicle loaded at our warehouse and

handout at the agents warehouse.

I think so, that is what it says on the quote. It is McGimpseys BTW. http://www.mcgimpseys.com/assets/pdf-files/McGimpsey-Brothers-Brochure.pdf :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Now finally settled just south of Brisbane so here is a run down of my experiences of getting quotes, selecting a company and finally having all our belongings delivered to our new home.

Using the list in the first post by Si and a search of the Internet for local companies I produced a short list of companies to contact for quotes. I also printed off a list of questions so I could to ask each company the same ones. Beside our household possessions we were also taking a folding camper.

The first thing I did after phoning each company was to not bother with any where it involved me having to take the camper to their depot if it was not local. The rest I invited to my home for quotes for the full service, packing, transporting and unpacking at destination.

One question was what would happen if when filling the container everything would not fit in and the replies ranged from you would have to decide what to leave in the UK to what do you mean we are quoting you for everything in your home so everything will go one way or another.

The quotes varied quite a bit and some companies said we needed two 20ft containers and others one 40ft container. Some companies said they would load the containers outside my home and others at their depot.

The advice we received from all the company representatives was very useful but did vary at times eg you can/cannot take feather pillows, you can/cannot take candles, clean everything with Zoflora/Jeyes fluid etc.

These reps will also try to sell you their insurance but none of them can match the price from Letton Percival so have their quote at hand before the reps come.

You then make your decision on whom to go with.

We chose Pickfords as they were local, their representative was very knowledgeable and their price was very good.

I did not realise at the time these companies do not own any containers but rent them from shipping lines who turn up at their depot or your house and there is a limited time for it to be loaded then it is taken to the port of departure.

Pickfords collect all our belongings and took them to their depot and I took the camper there so everything was ready for loading into the container.

Our container arrived in Brisbane on New Years Eve and our belongings were removed and put into Allied Pickfords bonded warehouse waiting for the AQIS people to check everything. After a few days we were informed that everything was fine and all our belongings had passed the inspection, nothing needed cleaning, not even the camper, and there was no mention of any charge for cleaning of the container.

As we had no delivery address we asked for our belongings to go into storage with Allied Pickfords and they told me that for no charge I could collect any of my packages/boxes from them before they put them into storage so this we did. You receive a list of all the package/boxes and what is in each when they do the packing in the UK so make sure you know what is in each box as sometimes the description is to general. The camper we had to collect asap from them as it could not go into storage.

The storage charges are very reasonable, about £100 handling fee then £60 a month and the insurance from Letton Percival was free for the first month then only about £40 a month.

When we eventually found a home we contacted Allied Pickfords for delivery and just as in England the delivery people were excellent, unwrapping everything and putting everything in place in our new home. And at the end of all that we had just one small breakage, an old casserole dish had the lid chipped, not even worth claiming for.

From our experience I would highly Pickfords/Allied Pickfords and Letton Percival.

Try http://www.insure-your-move.com/Site...ion/Contact+Us or http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/emigration-insurance/ for realistic quotes and better cover as standard than the removal companies.

Also beware of removal companies saying they will match the above insurance quote as insureyourmove or lettonpercival offer a lot more cover as standard, mildew and sets etc, removal companies charge extra for these, so you would need to check you are matching like for like. :wink:

These are really useful links, Les.

Did you hit any problems at all because of not using your chosen removals firm?

Hope all is going well.

John & Eirian

Guest Shell15

Not sure on that one..like for like I think, if you contact them they will give you all the info you need.. very helpful!

Guest rachstar
If it's any use - Manchester to Perth, full container (1000 c/ft) £3600. You need to haggle like mad though. The company we are using initially quoted between £3800 and £4200 for 800 c/ft. Stick to your guns and just tell them that it is your price, and stick to it.

It has appeared to be a bit of a cartel, all the shippers apparently meet on a regular basis to 'agree' a pricing structure so to get any significant saving you need to negotiate hard.

That's very helpful, thanks Boxtobox. We are shipping a full 20ft container from Derby to Perth and the four companies we've had quotes from have all come in at around £4K. We were hoping for something closer to £3.5K. You've given us an idea as to what we can negotiate to.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one company arrive today and told us that our household goods will be around the £2700 mark. We are only taking the bare minimum, although the company will give us two quotes. 1. two 3 seater sofas and footstool. A flat pack table and 6 chairs, sideboard. Guitars, clothes, mirror, pictures, shoes, ornaments, tennis rackets, small amount of crockery. (Which all fit in a bedroom)

2. Just the Guitars, clothes, mirror, pictures, shoes, ornaments, tennis rackets, small amount of crockery.with a quote for £2000.

Said that they do a complete service from door to door, that they have to pack as otherwise customs will charge extra. Insurance was I think 6% of the value of the goods being sent.

8-12 weeks

Have another company coming tomorrow, do we leave all the furniture behind? may store the furniture for a while here in UK. Dilemma, dilemmas! Need to keep the cost down.

Any views?

Guest charleysmum74

Hello there,

This is a great help, thanks for posting. We too are going through the process of getting quotes together, we have about half a container of stuff. We have had Pickfords and Crown so far. Crown have quoted £500 more than Pickfords but this includes Aussie quarantine fees, I'm not really sure if this is included with other companies. It is all really quite confusing as they seem to offer slightly different things so it makes it difficult to compare.

Also, I'm getting fed up with the money and pension transfer people hassling me which I seem to have been referred to by the moving companies. I have too much to think about at the moment without thinking about money and pensions too!!!

C :)

Archived