Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

Cheers Les Avalook - that was my thoughts with Pickfords too!

Insurance will definitely be with a separate company - it's a 'no-****-sherlock' on the cost-savings for that one!

I'm definitely shortlisting Doree Bonner, I liked their customer service so much (and knowing they're local reassures me a bit).

I'm about to cancel a visit from PSS on Monday morning cos I think I have enough quotes now - Not sure about Brittania yet, I'll wait for John Mason's reply and see.

Decisions, decisions!

Why not email John Mason with the best quote you have, they dropped £150 for us when we said we wanted to book 'today' if the price is right.

Just remember the price is only right if they can confirm the right date for you.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikewheble

Hi all,

We are just about to book for our stuff to go. Basically, I have had quotes from John Masons, PSS, Anglo, Excess and two others. Interestingly Pickfords didn't even bother to call me back!!!

After all things considered, I have decided to go with John Masons. The reasons for this is that I have read some good posts about them plus I get the feeling that they know what they are doing. They weren't the cheapest however I wasn't looking for cheap...I was looking for value though. The most expensive was Anglo and they were about £1,200 more than JM.

I am booking a sole use 40 ft container for my Mitsubishi L200 Raging Bull, my wifes Mini Cooper and 480 cu ft of household goods. The cost is £5,200 for door to door.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Regards

Mike

If it's any use - Manchester to Perth, full container (1000 c/ft) £3600. You need to haggle like mad though. The company we are using initially quoted between £3800 and £4200 for 800 c/ft. Stick to your guns and just tell them that it is your price, and stick to it.

It has appeared to be a bit of a cartel, all the shippers apparently meet on a regular basis to 'agree' a pricing structure so to get any significant saving you need to negotiate hard.

Hi boxtobox

I'm headed from Manchester to Perth myself and was wondering who you used for your shipping.

Guest The Newlands
Managed to get a sole use 20ft container door to door, hull to perth for £4150 (inclusive of all fees at both ends). Quite happy with that price. Shippers coming on 25th and 26th July, container should reach Perth around the time we are due to arrive, 15th september.

HI

Great to hear your well on your way:biggrin:, please advise who you decided to go with for the removals in the end? we are in Doncaster so I guess our shippers will be going from HULL too.

Thanks

And now the dilemma gets worse - after having decided Doree Bonner is almost certainly 'the one'

White and Company give us a revised price that's £500 cheaper!!

But White haven't done a site visit, just based it on my (insanely detailed) inventory and description of the village and house.

GAH!

HI

Great to hear your well on your way:biggrin:, please advise who you decided to go with for the removals in the end? we are in Doncaster so I guess our shippers will be going from HULL too.

Thanks

Hi

we are going from Sheffield, so would be interested to hear about your quotes too!

Sarah

Guest Joey0483

Hi ! Am I right in assuming you can get a container and put in your car and anything else you can fit in? Including filling the car (camper van in our case)? This is what we are hoping to do, although shipping the vehicle seems like a mindfield in itself! x

Hi ! Am I right in assuming you can get a container and put in your car and anything else you can fit in? Including filling the car (camper van in our case)?

I don't think you are allowed to put things inside the vehicle, as they need to inspect it (or maybe for another reason - not 100% sure, but have heard of 'not putting stuff in it' from others).

Sorry.

Guest The Newlands
Hi

we are going from Sheffield, so would be interested to hear about your quotes too!

Sarah

HI

we have had PSS and Anglo Pacific so far. PSS tried to tell us we needed a 40ft container as we were JUST over the 20ft limit. We know this was rubbish. They didnt even want to discuss the 20ft option. £6200 they quoted (didnt like the rep)

PSS was trying to cross sell, money exchange companies, bank account etc etc. My husband kept quiet to see how far he would go, and the guy wouldn't stop! by the way we have all our bank accounts and money exchange house sorted lol

Next was Anglo Pacific, he was a nice rep, i asked him questions that he never thought id ask. I even told him not to bother over quoting as he wouldnt have a look in if he did this. He said all his quotes are open to negotiating BUT when he told us the cubic feet we had would fit into a 20ft container, the written quote came back saying we were JUST over so the surplus would go into groupage and get shipped when the group container was full!! He quoted £4150 with additional cost of £550 for the excess over the 20ft container. I will phone him up when we get our 3rd quote on Monday from John Mason.

We also mentioned that there are items on the inventory that we could leave behind giving us the guaranteed limit for a 20ft but he still went ahead to include.

We also asked about the refrigerated containers that come over from Oz/NZ that need to be returned (containers that New Zealand Lamb/food) come over in. If you secure these containers you do get a heavy discount but again he skirted over the question, saying that they offer a little discount when the discount IS a good chunk. Still yet to find out the exact discount given.

The long and short is we will pay no more than £3900 as people have had the quotes, we just need to have a little continuity from these companies. Just because we have come a long way, companies think they can manipulate all our situations. The market is that competitive they need to be a little more savvy than what they are. We are all in the same boat, wanting to achieve our dreams and yes we do need our home contents shipping over to Oz BUT I will not be ripped off and the more we discuss these "hiccups" on forums LIKE pio, the more people become aware of the "not so good" companies and those who are "ripping" PEOPLE OFF.

I will keep you posted on the John Mason Quote

Thanks

Sarah

ps, where and when are you moving?:jiggy:

Hi Sarah

Thanks for this you have done your homework! - I have PSS coming next Tuesday, bit worried about that now. I am getting a quote from John Mason too. Lots of people see to like them!

We are going to Victoria in November. What about yourselves?

Sarah

Guest john76

we are not really in the same situation as we live in a furnished rent, we have what we thing will fit into 10 x tea chests and 6x book cartons, so after reading this post and othersI have contacted a number of the companies here's the quotes I got back

Doree Bonner = claimed we would need 82 cubic feet and quoted £1015.00

Crown = claimed we would need 100 cubic feet and quoted £976.00

Robinsons = claimed we would need 60 cubic feet and quoted £575.00

Excess Int = claimed we would need 72 cubic feet and quoted £735.00

PSS= didnt give a cubic feet quote but did quote £889.00

how we can get quotes from £575.00 to £1015.00 is crazy, and yes I sent the very same email to each of them, at this rate i will be pricing excess baggage from the airline, any other suggestions would be gladly received :confused:

Guest john76
The variation in volume is the weirdest thing.... Did you specify the number of boxes or give a list of stuff?

yes give them a simple email stating we were moving from brighton uk to townsville queensland, we requested quotes for the packaging materials and delivery of 10x tea chests and 6x book cartons, I am thinking some of them just dont want such a small job.

yes give them a simple email stating we were moving from brighton uk to townsville queensland, we requested quotes for the packaging materials and delivery of 10x tea chests and 6x book cartons, I am thinking some of them just dont want such a small job.

Sounds like it - unless their definition of Tea Chests etc are exceptionally different! It's why I ended up with my insanely detailed inventory with measurements.

Although Pickfords still seem to think we need a 40ft while the others are happy with a 20ft......

Well we have had 2 quotes so far to ship from north lincolnshire to Perth.

Brittannia (appleyards of Hull) quoted £4,339.

Anglo Pacific came today and quoted approx £4,200

Both are for sole use 20' container.

Anglo gave us a second option of a refrigerated container (which they use to bring food from oz) which would be around £3,900.

Still got a few more companies to get quotes from.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sandisonsonthemove

We have just had our quote from Pickfords £3,619 from Spalding South Lincs to Perth. This is for no more than 827 cu ft sole use container. AQIS fee and insurance separate. They have sent me an inventory and there are some things that I will not be taking (OH saw the rep whilst I was at work!) so it is likely to be less than 827 cu ft.

Thinking of sending the inventory to other companies to see what they would quote. Had a real issue with a couple of the companies not wanting to send estimators round but pushing for online quotes. Great idea if I knew how much fitted in their 2 cu ft/4 cu ft etc boxes!!!!

Quite happy with the cost but will see how I get on with other companies

Donna x

:hug:Hi Si, your info is very helpful but can you tell me what was actually included in these quotes ? We are trying to get concise quotes for collection and packing of our stuff, the shipping to Brisbane, and possible storage until we have a permanent address. Were your quotes for " Door to Door " ? including insurance ?

Any help is gratefully received as we leave in October and need to get things sorted out soon.

Archived