Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

Can I ask those who only sent a small amount (ie under 400 cubic foot) what they did about insurance? The insurance seems to be coming out at around 1/3 of the total cost of shipping on top, and that's with the company we want to go with already dropping down insurance to 1.5% instead of 3% (which is what everyone else has quoted).

We only want insurance that covers us in case the boat goes down, so insurance of £400 on a £1400 shipment (that includes the cost of crating of some items) is seeming a little toppy to us tbh. It sounds flippant to say, but we don't care if it gets broken, as we aren't taking anything fragile, the only thing that *could* get broken (ie most of it is clothes!) we don't think would as it will be in a crate with lots of padding around it, and isn't very fragile in the first place (its a big lump of wood basically).

Any thoughts people?

Cheers

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I ask those who only sent a small amount (ie under 400 cubic foot) what they did about insurance? The insurance seems to be coming out at around 1/3 of the total cost of shipping on top, and that's with the company we want to go with already dropping down insurance to 1.5% instead of 3% (which is what everyone else has quoted).

We only want insurance that covers us in case the boat goes down, so insurance of £400 on a £1400 shipment (that includes the cost of crating of some items) is seeming a little toppy to us tbh. It sounds flippant to say, but we don't care if it gets broken, as we aren't taking anything fragile, the only thing that *could* get broken (ie most of it is clothes!) we don't think would as it will be in a crate with lots of padding around it, and isn't very fragile in the first place (its a big lump of wood basically).

Any thoughts people?

Cheers

We used letton Percival and we paid £320 for 20k valuables google them and they will put you right!

We used letton Percival and we paid £320 for 20k valuables google them and they will put you right!

Cheers will give them a go then - it all seems far more complicated than it needs to be imho - why they can't just come, say 'its will be £x' and then you email/write a statement that says 'yes take my things' and it all happens. Don't know why they have to have endless bits of paper, just to blooming book them, and then complex insurance calculations, and so on. Don't they know its stressful trying to emigrate lol (of course they do, just wish it was a bit easier!).

Hey don't worry LP were great they send you an email you list items and they tell you how much all they want to know is what costs more than 500 quid did it all online via 2 emails no stress no worries call them in the morning you'll be insured by Tuesday of next week.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sherlock Zones

Thanks everyone this is a great source of information, I am just in the process of getting quotes and think some stff will have to go on ebay rather than be shipped out.

Guest eileen28
Thanks for these quotes anyone in Ireland got Irish quotes they willing to share or message me?

Cheers

lookin for quotes from ireland also!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alliebarbar

Hi Si

I dont know how to PM you, im new to the forum. Can you tell me which company you went with in the end? Thanks Allison

I have just read all the posts and thanks to the originators! I have a couple of questions of all my fellow escapees. (1) after your house is sold, your belomgings packed and gone- where and how do you live until your flight? (2) We could not survive on a suitcase for 6-8 weeks and also need work/study things to come with us . It would be too much for flight luggage. Has anyone shipped extra clothes etc to be there when you arrive? If so how and who did you use? (3) Have all your quotes included storage and what experiences have you had with storage.

We are going from Surrey to Perth.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I have just read all the posts and thanks to the originators! I have a couple of questions of all my fellow escapees. (1) after your house is sold, your belomgings packed and gone- where and how do you live until your flight? (2) We could not survive on a suitcase for 6-8 weeks and also need work/study things to come with us . It would be too much for flight luggage. Has anyone shipped extra clothes etc to be there when you arrive? If so how and who did you use? (3) Have all your quotes included storage and what experiences have you had with storage.

We are going from Surrey to Perth.

Thanks

Hi Erin, see if you can get double baggage allowance out of your flight company. We flew Singapore, they gave us double allowance with no bag number limit, so we brought over a bicycle (it's a very light one), 2 enormous suitcases and one other bag, total 80kg of luggage, which meant we just about managed to back for 6-8 weeks of life including work, hobbies (dance classes, football...) etc. Our stuff left about 2 days before we did, so we weren't living out of a suitcase at home, and here there's always charity shops or kmart if we get stuck (though most of what we've bought has been house stuff, not clothes).

I know of someone else that has found a holiday let bedsit for the last week before they leave home as not only was their house cleared, but they let their house out and the new tenants arrived!

Did you get double baggage allowance because you were migrating? I am not - I am an aussie returning home after many moons abroad. So I wondered if being loaded with your immigration status helped with the baggage. We are sending 2 cats as well , 2 kids - so getting the timing co-ordinated with everything is totally dependent on when our sells (fingers crossed in the current market). Almost impossible to know when to book anything. We may have to put stuff in storage while we wait for shipping . If the house sells quickly we will have to get out faster than we can organise things. I will just have to play it by ear I guess.

I have asked the question about taking more clothes etc before - but nobody answered. Maybe I should start a new thread?

Thanks Erin

Did you get double baggage allowance because you were migrating? I am not - I am an aussie returning home after many moons abroad. So I wondered if being loaded with your immigration status helped with the baggage. We are sending 2 cats as well , 2 kids - so getting the timing co-ordinated with everything is totally dependent on when our sells (fingers crossed in the current market). Almost impossible to know when to book anything. We may have to put stuff in storage while we wait for shipping . If the house sells quickly we will have to get out faster than we can organise things. I will just have to play it by ear I guess.

I have asked the question about taking more clothes etc before - but nobody answered. Maybe I should start a new thread?

Thanks Erin

Hello :)

Yes, you would be better starting new threads in the Migration or Shipping section and asking your questions there rather than in here. People often don't read an older thread or reply to it so your asking stuff in here, chances are it will get lost and not really seen or replied. Depending on what you want to ask, you may be better on starting a couple of threads (in the appropriate sections).

FWIW, the excess baggage is a migrant deal for an unvalidated permanent visa, so no, it won't apply to you.

Also, if you browse round certain forum sections and have a read or use the forum search and refine it a bit, you'll find your questions have been asked a fair few times and that people have posted about options re shipping extra baggage etc.

Thanks Erin

certainly we did because we were emigrating, but if you have a one-way ticket they may let you? it's worth asking, at any rate.

yeah, I don't know about extra clothes. The couple we just met this afternoon left a bunch of boxes at home to be sent over by dhl later, and I know other people have shipped a small number of boxes, but I'm afraid I don't know who to point you in their direction...

I think as long as you have a number of possible plans in your head depending on how things go, you'll manage fine whatever happens :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks Si - very helpful - please can you PM the details as we're about to negotiate. The quotes I've had (if anyone finds useful) are all for a full 20ft container exc insurance - going to Canberra (which adds abt $500 to get there from Sydney)

Crown - £5.5-6k Inc AQIS

Anglo Pacific - £ 5 k Inc AQIS

Pickfords - £as above but said would go way over a 20fter

Doree Bonner - £4300 plus AQIS (about $450) + 8wk free storage in Aus

John Mason - £4500 plus AQIS + 4wk free storage

They seem loads more than your quotes Si??!! I'd better get negotiating!

Cal.C.

Just re-reading these useful posts as I have had my first survey today - quote arriving tomorrow. We will need to use storage in Australia. So was keen to know if John Mason and Doree Bonner OFFERED the free storage or you negotiated it?

Thanks if you are still reading

Hello Can anyone please advise me. When you ship a car, can it be filled with shipping boxes ?

No, we shipped over a folding caravan and all the companies we got a quote from said we could only leave in any vehicle items that were specific to that vehicle. eg Foot pump, wheel wrench etc and in our case the awning and poles.

David

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

In relation goods being packed into a vehicle, as long as the vehicle is being shipped within the container with the rest of your household goods and personal effects then, from an insurance perspective, goods packed in the vehicle will be insured. The only caveat being is those goods have to be packed by the moving company and are not owner packed.

I am not aware of any importing restriction or legislation as to why goods cannot be placed into the vehicle within the container but would be interested to learn if there is such a reason.

Guest Shell15

We were told if we fill our car with goods then at the other end these goods have to be removed from the car before it can be taken away and inspected and apparently they charge to do this..?

I've seen http://www.transglobal.org.uk suggested quite abit too, for a small consignment i.e. 25kg Tea Carton = 5 cubic feet it comes up as £103.05 for me which is about 50 quid cheaper than a lot of rivals. It is effectively UPS Express Saver shipping, through a different company. This, i suppose, is for those looking to send smaller amounts. It might be worth checking out as it could also be cheaper for larger consignments too.

I looked this up http://www.goodwins-removals.com/removals.php, they suggest that --> "3 tones of effects, equivalent to an average 2 bed house / flat contents." Ok its not cubic footage but might be a general indicator of weight as many of the shipping companies go by cubic feet OR weight. They tend to charge by weight for air and cubic footage for sea shipping, although there many be a kind of average conversion factor as lots of the sites accept both weight or size.

Hockayak

Also, http://www.westpointrelocation.com/measure.html suggests:

"Full Container Load Measurements:

20 foot container. A 20 foot container will hold up to approximately 1,100 cubic feet. The dimensions are 19'4"L x 7'9"W x 7'10"H. Generally good for a 2-3 bedroom house.

40 foot container. A 40 foot container will hold up to approximately 2,300 cubic feet. The dimensions are 39'6"L x 7'9"W x 7'10"H. Generally good for a 3-4 bedroom house.

45 foot container. A 45 foot container will hold up to approximately 3,000 cubic feet. The dimensions are 44'6"L x 7'9"W x 7'10"H. Generally good for a 4+ bedroom house. "

Hockayak

First quote today . Said we would need a 40ft container. we have are moving a 4 bed house. Haven't seen many people quoting price for 40 ft container - they suggested a high cube. This is not including any car. anyone else out there to share a 4 bed house quote.... Two more quotes in next 2 days. will post all 3 after that.

Archived