Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Michelle,

The four best quotes I had came from:-

PSS

Excess International

White & Company

John Masons

They all came in around the £2600 @ 597 cubic feet…but we managed to get John Masons down to £2400…..the only thing I would really say is be careful of the price you do eventually go for! ….make sure that the cubic feet is very similar to all the other quotes, because what some companies do is lower the cubic feet to make the quote low, and once they have taken your stuff they will call you when they start to pack your belongings in the container, saying that its over what they estimated, and that you have to pay the difference which can be a lot more expensive than some of your other quotes…..that’s why I made sure I went with the cheapest company that was within 4 cubic feet of the best quotes I had. Also look around for your own insurance as I think most of the shipping companies insurance quotes are so expensive...That helps save a little more…it all helps..lol J.

One last thing…as I have mentioned in my thread…flat pack as much as you possibly can because that saved me about £1000…makes a lot of difference!

So where are you going in OZ?...We are off to Brisbane with my girlfriend (Gem) and my little boy 15mnths (Charlie)

All the best with everything…if I can help with anything else please let me know!

Si

thankyou si, this is a fantastic thread :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case I am lucky and find a buyer I have decided to get some removal quotes. But as I am taking a trailer tent with us I would have to tow it and deliver it to the removal companies depot.

Does anyone know which companies have a depot in the North East of England area.

I know Pickfords is in Gateshead, White at Knaresborough, Doree Bonner just North of Newcastle and John Masons are in Liverpool.

David

Guest Beanie22

Thanks Si I am sure there are many more people out here grateful for your info.

We are looking to move but as we lived in a rented flat we will not be taking a great deal, have only just begun the "what to ship, what to sell & what to leave" process. But probably 10 tea chests of books, DVDs, CDs, Wii & games etc, possibly a double bed & mattress, definitely 2 adult bicycles, boxes of clothes, bedding, linen etc then maybe a surfboard.

Do you know if most companies quote on cubic measurements rather than weight?

Cheers Beanie

Thanks Si I am sure there are many more people out here grateful for your info.

We are looking to move but as we lived in a rented flat we will not be taking a great deal, have only just begun the "what to ship, what to sell & what to leave" process. But probably 10 tea chests of books, DVDs, CDs, Wii & games etc, possibly a double bed & mattress, definitely 2 adult bicycles, boxes of clothes, bedding, linen etc then maybe a surfboard.

Do you know if most companies quote on cubic measurements rather than weight?

Cheers Beanie

I have just had a few companies out and they have either quoted on cu ft your belongings take up or for a full container with as much as you can get into it. Never mentioned any weight at all.

David

hey great post all these campanies to chose from but no one as mentioned robinsons is there a reason for this? ive had them round today and they have quoted us £2000-£2200 for half a container thats from manchester to melbourne still got a few more to come round next week before and decission is made

Hi all

Just started this process and have had D Bonner around today they reckon we are 200 cf (1300) over a 20ft container we live in a 3 bed flat and have quoted a ball park figure of £5200 for a 20ft and groupage.

Really thought we would be in a 20 so will be interested what other 5 company's have to say!

Will keep you in the picture!

M

HI just wondered who you used in the end and were they any good as i am trying to decide who to use for our move. We have had pickfords out who quoted £4000 i thought that was a bit steep as we havent got that much stuff, any info is good

cheers SI +EM

Hi I also got a quote from a few companies and found one really good one "McGimpsey Brothers(Removals)Limited".They came out and estimated my stuff at 620 cubic foot, the price for this is £2745, this is just over half of a 20 ft container and £3845 for sole use of a 20ft container. They are based in Northern Ireland. I was really impressed with them, ill let you all know how I get on in the next few weeks.

Hi Michelle,

The four best quotes I had came from:-

PSS

Excess International

White & Company

John Masons

They all came in around the £2600 @ 597 cubic feet…but we managed to get John Masons down to £2400…..the only thing I would really say is be careful of the price you do eventually go for! ….make sure that the cubic feet is very similar to all the other quotes, because what some companies do is lower the cubic feet to make the quote low, and once they have taken your stuff they will call you when they start to pack your belongings in the container, saying that its over what they estimated, and that you have to pay the difference which can be a lot more expensive than some of your other quotes…..that’s why I made sure I went with the cheapest company that was within 4 cubic feet of the best quotes I had. Also look around for your own insurance as I think most of the shipping companies insurance quotes are so expensive...That helps save a little more…it all helps..lol J.

One last thing…as I have mentioned in my thread…flat pack as much as you possibly can because that saved me about £1000…makes a lot of difference!

So where are you going in OZ?...We are off to Brisbane with my girlfriend (Gem) and my little boy 15mnths (Charlie)

All the best with everything…if I can help with anything else please let me know!

Si

thankyou si, this is a fantastic thread :biggrin:

We are in Brisbane waiting for our John mason container to arrive in October, will let you know how we get on.

Just wanted to let future movers know that we used Crown and they were great in both hemispheres. In the UK they gave us plenty of discounts, not only matched but were less than the other companies and a good rate on storage. They negotiated a storage rate in Brisbane too. The guys that did the move in UK and in Brisbane were fantastic. The people in Brissie were very proactive and called me a fair few times just to let me know what was happening.

The only thing I would recommend is to have their insurance. We chose Letton Percival as it was cheaper as per the posts here on PIO, but our glass table smashed and although Crown were very helpful liaising with the insurance company it would have been more convenient to have used their own insurance as along with all the other stresses of moving it meant that there was more things to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rusty1409
If it's any use - Manchester to Perth, full container (1000 c/ft) £3600. You need to haggle like mad though. The company we are using initially quoted between £3800 and £4200 for 800 c/ft. Stick to your guns and just tell them that it is your price, and stick to it.

It has appeared to be a bit of a cartel, all the shippers apparently meet on a regular basis to 'agree' a pricing structure so to get any significant saving you need to negotiate hard.

Hi - in final process of haggling - would you be able to tell me who you went with in the end and what the service was like? That's an amazing price per cubic foot you got - will need to get my haggling head on!

Guest rusty1409
we have just booked john mason coming on 22 /23 september .filey to brisbane

would love to hear how you got on with John Mason - they're in my 'final two'....!

Hi

Any tips re haggling. MY DH is already gone and working in Oz, so I am left to sort out everything, the only reason I have not booked my contained, is becuase I don't know how is best to haggle, email , phone (v scary). Honest.y Pickfords are only £3600, not sure if just to accept it....

Sarah

Hi

Any tips re haggling. MY DH is already gone and working in Oz, so I am left to sort out everything, the only reason I have not booked my contained, is becuase I don't know how is best to haggle, email , phone (v scary). Honest.y Pickfords are only £3600, not sure if just to accept it....

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I have haggled some companies on the phone but only because they called me, so they were probably prepared to come down anyway.

When I was down to my final 4 companies it came down to price and I was about to accept one company's price so sent an email to two of the others to let them know they were unsuccessful due to price, however if they were prepared to re-quote then I would look at it. Both companies returned my email and asked what they needed to do to get my business. I was honest told them what I wanted. I received new quotes and have actually gone with one of them as it was very good.

I will post on here the companies, starting prices, final prices and companies prepared to haggle if anyone wants to know.

Good luck, just send an email if that is most comfortable for you, worked for me.

So far this week we have seen Anglo Pacific, White & Co, Pickfords and Doree Bonner. This is for a half container from Edinburgh to Melbourne next March. We are now waiting for quotes from the last three. I have pretty much decided who I want to use but I'm waiting for hubby to see what he says when we get the quotes in. If anyone wants any info please feel free to PM me. I don't want to bitch about any of the companies on here but there is one of them that I personally would not recommend.

Hello,So down to ahggling, I tried sending emails, to no avail. JM wanted me to show then the cheaper quote, which I hve, but I am not happy about, I feel its unethical to show them a competitors quotation.

I certainly go the impression from here, that most shippers were prepared to drop their quotations, but they have all said no initially.

Thinking of going with Pickfords, they came out the best value at £3650 from Sheffield to Bendigo, VIC.

Any advice would be welcome

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...

Shippers are coming tomorrow! We've just got 3 coming: John Mason, White & Co and Doree Bonner (having extensively researched on PIO to find out which ones people thought were best!).

Currently trying to list everything I want to know from them, like what's included in the price (packing, unpacking, storage in Australia - on the offchance we need it, AQIS, insurance...), how we have to pack things, what to do about the bikes etc. We're going from Bristol to Canberra.

Planning to ship late (as in, just before we leave) and live in a fairly empty house for the first few weeks if needs be, to give us time to find a house to move into before our furniture arrives without having to panic and take the first one we see because our furniture's waiting in storage (though obviously we'd rather not be in short-term rental for any longer than necessary!).

We're taking most of our stuff, I'll be flatpacking furniture like crazy before they come to pack up! We only have a very small mid-terrace 1-single-1-double house, so I'm expecting a part-container quote rather than a full 20ft container! But we shall see what they say.

We haven't inventoried for them, but we have been right through the house and sorted *everything* so that they can quote accurately based on the boxes etc that are now scattered round our house!

Really hoping they make this nice and easy (and not too expensive for us)... we'll let you know!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edkelly1976

Tremendously useful post, thankyou for taking the time - I'm in the process of organising my removals and this is really handy. I have two companies coming out to quote, however I think I may ask Doree Boner and White and company for a quote too.

Kind regards

Ed Kelly

• 1 month later...

My story

Got 6 companies to quote (usual suspects) all ranged from needing a 20ft container to a 40ft container. 2 companies quoted for just over a 20ft and priced at 4k approx we went with PSS as they included a 25kg air freight FOC so I could send work stuff over. Guys turned up and got everything in a 20ft with room to spare and have to say they were bloody excellent!.

What shocks me now is that some of the companies that quoted said it would cost 7k with a 40ft Container! How wrong they were!

Some say don't go with the cheapest......we did and it paid off!

Archived