Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

Guest MissBehaving
Hi we are just looking at all our quotes for a 20ft container, surprised at expense in relation to previous posts. Would be interested in your quote as we live in North Yorkshire, also one company want to charge us for cleaning of container if it arises at cost of 650 dollars, have you heard anything about that.

Thanks

Hi KarlnChris

I was also shocked when I got my quotes after reading this thread, but, it does depend on where you are going to in Oz.

We are moving to Mackay Queensland from kent, and are using a shared container as we have 746 cubic feet. The cheapest quote is £3730.

I understand that the cost is higher than average because there is 11hours road transport involved from Brisbane to Mackay.

Where are you moving to? Who have you asked for quotes?

Hope this helps.

MB

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest karlnchris

Hi we are moving to Brisbane 9th October, have quotes from PSS, Pickfords, Crown, John Mason, Robinsons, Doree Donner quotes have 800 pounds difference for 20ft container, trying to negotiate at present.

Karl

Glad I'm not the only one who's getting quotes from loads of people - most of our quotes for a sole-use 20ft container from very small village near Canterbury to Melbourne are between £4000 to £4500.

We're currently (once husband realises he has to help too) examining the inventory and finalising it to confirm and start negotiating...

Doree Bonner were the only ones who were happy to visit us out of working hours, so if their price is competitive I'd like to use them - plus they've got a local depot less than 3 miles away :)

Guest sleepysunday

We have had various quotes over the last few weeks and have finally chosen John Mason.

I thought some of you might like to know the details and why we chose them. Our quotes were all based on a sole use 20ft container from south London to Sydney. Our road is tight so this presented a problem for some of them as to how they would get a container down here. Thankfully we are near three company depots and so they quoted based on being able to fill up a van over two days and then pack the container at their depot (which we were invited to watch).

The quotes were:

Britannia - £4679 (they are local)

Pickfords - £3917 (local)

Excess International - £4080

John Mason - £4277 (local)

Crown - £4775 (this quote was not based on a survey just a 20ft container)

Anglo - we cancelled the visit as we already made our decision and were wary of all the negative feedback we kept seeing. Also they are not at a local depot.

We decided to choose John Mason as we liked that they do one thing and clearly do it well. I searched hard to find reviews of the others and John Mason had very little negative feedback as opposed to the others. My other consideration was obviously distance from their depot and I really liked that they only use 5 ply paper for their packing which prevents sweating (unlike the bubble wrap some people use) and is completely recycled at the other end....being an Aussie I'm pretty eco friendly!

We are not going to use their insurance and have already had a great experience just with the whole booking process as they have reduced their fee and have explained the whole process very clearly as well as helping us get on to the vessel sailing on the date we want in September.

If anyone has any questions on any of our quotes please feel free to give me a shout.

Good luck and may my move go well. :biggrin:

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would do my little bit by posting some information on this site regarding shipping costs ets....I have got so much information from POI...I thought it was time to see if I can help others in return.

I looked long and hard into shipping as it can be a considerable cost. I decided to get the following company's out to quote my removals:

Pickfords =£4000.00

PSS International =£2860.00

White & Company =£2685.00

Excess International =£2877.00

John Mason =£ 2650.00

Doree Boner =£2613.00

Crown Relocation =£3779.00

Anglo Pacific =£3999.00

I used the same speech for every company that came round to quote as I wanted the best overall quote and estimate on cubic feet. I specified that I would flat pack as much of my furniture as possible as this can save you tens if not hundreds of cubic feet in your removals.

My first quote was from Pickfords who decided that I would need sole use of a 20ft container and that it would cost me 4k....I was a little surprised at first as i thought in my own mind that we would only need part, due to the fact we had no fridge or freezer and our main bedroom wardrobes were built in. I was in fact glad on the next quote that I had other companies to price, as PSS said I was only part container at 597 cubic feet.....This excercise went on for the next two weeks...as you can see from above list the cost varies a little and most companies were close on cubic feet except for Anglo Pacific & Pickfords.

As a note 5 of the companies came in at 592 - 620 cubic feet of each other!!!!

I decided to get the closest 4 to re-evaluate there costs to see if I could lower the price...three of them did...inbox me for details on those and prices...I can also send you an inventory of exactly what we are sending so you can gauge a price on your own belongings.

I hope this is of use to anyone seeking removals!...if you require any further information drop me a line!

All the best!

Si:biggrin:

Just seen this, can you recommend the best one?

We have gone with John Mason, the current popular choice and the best price for us at £3845 for a full, sole use 20ft, next up was P.S.S. at £4032 and 3rd at £4140 was Anglo Pacific.

Crown and Pickfords were just being silly at £5000 each with Pickfords taking the P by saying we needed to share a 40ft. All quotes for the same stuff.

I asked the first 3 today to re-quote and J.M. knocked £150 off to come in below £4000 so they got the booking.

We have gone with Letton Percival for the insurance as at 1.5% they easily beat all companies with £493.83 for £31,000 for better cover including mildew and sets as standard.

In a few months time we will tell you if we made the right choice.

We have gone with John Mason, the current popular choice and the best price for us at £3845 for a full, sole use 20ft, next up was P.S.S. at £4032 and 3rd at £4140 was Anglo Pacific.

Crown and Pickfords were just being silly at £5000 each with Pickfords taking the P by saying we needed to share a 40ft. All quotes for the same stuff.

I asked the first 3 today to re-quote and J.M. knocked £150 off to come in below £4000 so they got the booking.

We have gone with Letton Percival for the insurance as at 1.5% they easily beat all companies with £493.83 for £31,000 for better cover including mildew and sets as standard.

In a few months time we will tell you if we made the right choice.

Excellent stuff, we haven't said yes & we haven't said no to Pickfords as their quote from Cornwall to Perth was £5000 and a company called Atlantis quoted £5,500. Many thanks for the tip on insurance too. Great stuff, many thanks for getting back to us.

Guest The Newlands
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would do my little bit by posting some information on this site regarding shipping costs ets....I have got so much information from POI...I thought it was time to see if I can help others in return.

I looked long and hard into shipping as it can be a considerable cost. I decided to get the following company's out to quote my removals:

Pickfords =£4000.00

John Mason =£ 2650.00

Doree Boner =£2613.00

Anglo Pacific =£3999.00

I used the same speech for every company that came round to quote as I wanted the best overall quote and estimate on cubic feet. I specified that I would flat pack as much of my furniture as possible as this can save you tens if not hundreds of cubic feet in your removals.

My first quote was from Pickfords who decided that I would need sole use of a 20ft container and that it would cost me 4k....I was a little surprised at first as i thought in my own mind that we would only need part, due to the fact we had no fridge or freezer and our main bedroom wardrobes were built in. I was in fact glad on the next quote that I had other companies to price, as PSS said I was only part container at 597 cubic feet.....This excercise went on for the next two weeks...as you can see from above list the cost varies a little and most companies were close on cubic feet except for Anglo Pacific & Pickfords.

I decided to get the closest 4 to re-evaluate there costs to see if I could lower the price...three of them did...inbox me for details on those and prices...I can also send you an inventory of exactly what we are sending so you can gauge a price on your own belongings.

I hope this is of use to anyone seeking removals!...if you require any further information drop me a line!

All the best!

Hi

Thanks for the above info, does this include packing and unpacking at both ends, customs and insurance etc?

Thanks

Sarah

Th:chatterbox:e Newlands

Hi

Thanks for the above info, does this include packing and unpacking at both ends, customs and insurance etc? Thanks Sarah Th:chatterbox:e Newlands

I can't speak for everyone but most of the quotes on this thread will be for packing and unpacking.

Customs will be an extra with most if not all companies, Crown does include the inspection cost.

Insurance will be on top of the quotes as you don't have to use the removal companies insurance offer. Unless they (shippers) do a deal Letton Percival and insure-your-move both offer better insurance for about half the cost.

Other peoples quotes will help as a guide but you must allow for distance from port at each end which could add extra to one's quote.

I can't speak for everyone but most of the quotes on this thread will be for packing and unpacking.

Customs will be an extra with most if not all companies, Crown does include the inspection cost.

Insurance will be on top of the quotes as you don't have to use the removal companies insurance offer. Unless they (shippers) do a deal Letton Percival and insure-your-move both offer better insurance for about half the cost.

Other peoples quotes will help as a guide but you must allow for distance from port at each end which could add extra to one's quote.

Yep, just found that out. I will have to ask Pickfords also I do know with the inspection that they charge if they find dirt on your bikes tyre. We have bouncy castles and we know that they will have them out to inspect, and we was told that they charge to clean them, I think we was told 200$, someone told us to put Jays fluid over all outdoor stuff. Any comments on this I would love to hear. Also if you have a tent, unless it is brand new, they will inspect mowers etc. Has anyone on here had their stuff land in Oz, any in-put would be great?

Guest ashley Dillon

would be very interested to see what exactly you get for that money. Can you send me a rough inventory?

thanks

Ashley

Guest The Newlands

In a few months time we will tell you if we made the right choice.[/quote

Can I ask from where in the UK to where in Oz? We have the same three companies booked in to give us a quote, starting with PSS tomorrow morning. We are going to Perth from Doncaster, any tips before they come much appreciated.

John

Guest The Newlands

Does anyone know the additional cost on top of container price, besides insurance?

Surely the customs price should be a set price per container dependant on size??

Why don't removal quotes include this cost, as it's got to be paid.

I think we would all like a total cost door to door packed and unpacked, is that too much to ask, I'm gonna ask the question to all companies we get to quote from.....

Can I ask from where in the UK to where in Oz? We have the same three companies booked in to give us a quote, starting with PSS tomorrow morning. We are going to Perth from Doncaster, any tips before they come much appreciated.

John

Wivenhoe, Colchester to Brisbane plus 30 miles.

We were warned not to 'over do' the jays fluid washing of outdoor items as they have had customers complaining that all of their normal clothing in the container stinking of jays fluid for months afterwards. :shocked:

Let them see everything, as our first people did not not check on what we described was in our loft, when they list things as unseen and customers estimate of volume it can give them a bit of a wriggle factor if they suddenly say you have got x extra cu ft in the container which will cost extra.

Does anyone know the additional cost on top of container price, besides insurance?

Surely the customs price should be a set price per container dependant on size??

Why don't removal quotes include this cost, as it's got to be paid.

I think we would all like a total cost door to door packed and unpacked, is that too much to ask, I'm gonna ask the question to all companies we get to quote from.....

Customs charge a set price plus per hour to inspect so if things go badly they 'could' unpack everything and that could double or more that charge.

They may or may not clean or destroy items, also charged for.

They may want the container de-contaminated, also charged for.

I don't think you will get answer to your question but would suggest allowing $1000 for the Oz end just in case.

P.S. you don't get your goods until all fees are paid.

Our quotes have included packing and unpacking - although we've asked for options with the unpacking excluded too to see what the difference is :)

Not all companies allow you to opt out of the unpacking (which annoyed me).

I'm keen to have them unwrap the furniture (maybe), but having all the boxes unpacked immediately will almost certainly be too much!!

Our quotes have included packing and unpacking - although we've asked for options with the unpacking excluded too to see what the difference is :)

Not all companies allow you to opt out of the unpacking (which annoyed me).

I'm keen to have them unwrap the furniture (maybe), but having all the boxes unpacked immediately will almost certainly be too much!!

It is probably to do with insurance, maybe more difficult to claim something was broken if they don't see it unwrapped. I'm not sure on this, just a guess.

On other threads some of the Oz removals seem very keen to get out the house so it may not be an issue, but you want want to check were you stand if you need to make a claim from an unopened box later.

Hi Everyone,

Pickfords =£4000.00

John Mason =£ 2650.00

Doree Boner =£2613.00

Anglo Pacific =£3999.00

All the best!

Hi Which Company did you eventually choose.

Thanks a lot Gem_and_Si, I've just read the 18 pages of this post - thanks to all the contributors in helping get my head round this. We are only moving 10 boxes from London to Sydney (about 50 cubic ft) but I can make a mountain out of any mole hill it seems!

Will keep the small movers crew updated!

I've got most of the prices back from our removalists - we're looking at 800-1000cu ft, sole use 20ft container. (My measurements of our stuff say 793cu ft without packing material), I've sent them all a detailed inventory with measurements as well as them visiting to make sure they are including what we want! Moving in October from Canterbury to Melbourne, Bungalow here, so easy access but can't get a container into the village so it's a van job to the parking spot.

Pickfords = £5450 (Am asking them to check this as it's so much higher)

Crown = £4856 (but does include AQIS)

John Mason = £4385 (but haven't responded to the revised inventory yet...)

Brittania £3995

Doree Bonner (Jordan&Jarret) £4065

Plus two have estimated without a visit using the same inventory:

Bournes = £4260, White & Company = £3915

We asked all of them if we could save money by NOT having an unpacking service, and the only people who offered this for a discount were Doree Bonner to make £3862. Plus Doree Bonner were the only ones who agreed to visit out of working hours and have a local depot.

Who do you think we should short-list?????

Anyone you think we should avoid?

I've got most of the prices back from our removalists - we're looking at 800-1000cu ft, sole use 20ft container. (My measurements of our stuff say 793cu ft without packing material), I've sent them all a detailed inventory with measurements as well as them visiting to make sure they are including what we want! Moving in October from Canterbury to Melbourne, Bungalow here, so easy access but can't get a container into the village so it's a van job to the parking spot.

Pickfords = £5450 (Am asking them to check this as it's so much higher)

Crown = £4856 (but does include AQIS)

John Mason = £4385 (but haven't responded to the revised inventory yet...)

Brittania £3995

Doree Bonner (Jordan&Jarret) £4065

Plus two have estimated without a visit using the same inventory:

Bournes = £4260, White & Company = £3915

We asked all of them if we could save money by NOT having an unpacking service, and the only people who offered this for a discount were Doree Bonner to make £3862. Plus Doree Bonner were the only ones who agreed to visit out of working hours and have a local depot.

Who do you think we should short-list?????

Anyone you think we should avoid?

Forget Pickfords, they had a TV program to fund :twitcy:, they quoted us £1000 more than John Mason, P.S.S. and Anglo Pacific and was the only one who thought we should share a 40ft when everyone else thought a 20ft should squeeze in.

Crown's AQIS is worth about $600 and we did not like they way they told us they would be the 'dearest' with some pride.

See my other posts for who we chose and for insurance option.

Cheers Les Avalook - that was my thoughts with Pickfords too!

Insurance will definitely be with a separate company - it's a 'no-****-sherlock' on the cost-savings for that one!

I'm definitely shortlisting Doree Bonner, I liked their customer service so much (and knowing they're local reassures me a bit).

I'm about to cancel a visit from PSS on Monday morning cos I think I have enough quotes now - Not sure about Brittania yet, I'll wait for John Mason's reply and see.

Decisions, decisions!

Archived