Is Oz much more expensive than the UK

Boesman

Guest guest30038
Well my calcualtion was 2.5, yours was 2.25, we're just splitting hairs now:cool:

Heres the evidence, this is just one company...

Gday Kombis // Right Hand Drive Volkswagen Campervans For Sale, RHD VW Campers

We hired a budget camper van when we toured the UK two years ago. The proprietor told us that a third of his fleet was shipped from Oz.

kev

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my calcualtion was 2.5, yours was 2.25, we're just splitting hairs now:cool:

Heres the evidence, this is just one company...

Gday Kombis // Right Hand Drive Volkswagen Campervans For Sale, RHD VW Campers

That's one rather specific vehicle (and not exactly a car). That's hardly evidence for a general assertion that cars are cheaper in Australia than in the UK. I suspect also that there are not exactly hundreds of 1970s VW camper vans being exported every week either.

That's one rather specific vehicle (and not exactly a car). That's hardly evidence for a general assertion that cars are cheaper in Australia than in the UK. I suspect also that there are not exactly hundreds of 1970s VW camper vans being exported every week either.

Well i can only speak for what i know about, and you're right, i was exaggerating at 100's a week :goofy: but there is money to be had with them, that's for sure.

You should get one, they are the best way to chill out and take life as it comes, even if that is at the side of a road for an extended period of time:biglaugh: owning them has taught me to fix things for myself, not just the van either, i have a go at anything now!

Anyway dude, i don't want an argument :hug:

I was just trying to get my point across that the only sensible way to look at cost of living is by percentage of your outgoings, it has to be the only thing that works. If housing used to cost you 20% of your salary but now it costs you 40% and your doing the same job, then yeah, its expensive. Your grocery shopping in Australia will still be the same price even if the Pound sores to $20/1, because you earn dollars.

Guest guest36762
Sainsburys medium white sliced loaf 74p

Woolworths white sliced loaf $1.49

Dont know about $4 loaves of bread but this is what I buy so this is a fair comparison:wubclub:

how much does the loaf weigh?

Guest guest30038
Sainsburys medium white sliced loaf 74p

Woolworths white sliced loaf $1.49

Dont know about $4 loaves of bread but this is what I buy so this is a fair comparison:wubclub:

No it's not. It's not real bread :rolleyes: :wink:

I buy 800gm Coles bread unsliced. there was, originally no unsliced and I asked the bakery manager if he could leave an unsliced one for me every day. He recently told me that he's now shifting around 10 a day with never a one left over. I know it sounds daft but I swear that if you slice it yourself, to your own thickness, it actually tastes better :shocked:

kev

No it's not. It's not real bread :rolleyes: :wink:

I buy 800gm Coles bread unsliced. there was, originally no unsliced and I asked the bakery manager if he could leave an unsliced one for me every day. He recently told me that he's now shifting around 10 a day with never a one left over. I know it sounds daft but I swear that if you slice it yourself, to your own thickness, it actually tastes better :shocked:

kev

BTW, If you keep your bread in the freezer, you can take advantage of those 'Buy 2' offers.

Probably need to have sliced bread though and just take out a couple of slices to thaw as you need them.

It doesn't affect the taste at all

Not all electrical goods are expensive, like in the UK it depends where you shop. The big department stores have some good deals on especially on smaller appliances, kettels as low as $8, toasters the same price, vacuums can be bought from $40,microwaves $60,,etc etc of course if you have to have a named top of the range product then yes you will pay more but to me a kettle is a kettle it stills boils water.

As for Fridge freezers i bought a huge whirpool one that was 12mths old off Ebay for $300, don't think you can go wrong if you shop about.

Cal x

Well i can only speak for what i know about, and you're right, i was exaggerating at 100's a week :goofy: but there is money to be had with them, that's for sure.

You should get one, they are the best way to chill out and take life as it comes, even if that is at the side of a road for an extended period of time:biglaugh: owning them has taught me to fix things for myself, not just the van either, i have a go at anything now!

Anyway dude, i don't want an argument :hug:

I was just trying to get my point across that the only sensible way to look at cost of living is by percentage of your outgoings, it has to be the only thing that works. If housing used to cost you 20% of your salary but now it costs you 40% and your doing the same job, then yeah, its expensive. Your grocery shopping in Australia will still be the same price even if the Pound sores to $20/1, because you earn dollars.

Yep, seen lots of threads on which is the most expensive place. There are just too many variables to take into account when trying to work it out. Car expenses are just one example. If you want to come here and you think you can manage on the salary you are going to get I would go for it every time. You live to yur means wherever you are and I find there is much more "free" entertainment for the whole family here. We have a great time most weekends without spending very much money. Unfortunately we can't control exchange rates and it's certainly not easy to make the move anymore. House prices are going backwards in the UK and still going up slightly here. Doesn't help getting a start.

I have to agree with girlwhizz99, without researching exact food prices, food is much more expensive. A decent loaf of bread is anything between $3.50 and $4. Have you seen the price of yogurts!! I nearly fell over in the aisle of Coles! I also find alot of toiletries very expensive. I agree if you stick to buying whats on special or whats in season it saves you alot of money but if you want something else its crazy!

I think the two major supermarkets here have a total monopoly on prices - and you don't get the price wars you have in the UK with 4 or 5 major supermarkets.

The cost of cars here is also rediculous - a cheap run around thats over ten years old, with loads of kms on the clock can cost you $5000!!

I would point out that some fast food can be much cheaper - but thats not really a good thing!

Still, I'd rather be here in the sun, even if I do pay through the roof for stuff sometimes!

I think you've summed it up nicely.

Guest chris955

I guess it depends how important being in the sun is, lots of people get over that stage and want more and others are happy just to be in the sun until their last day, we are all different.

and pay is less than UK in general...

I think if you stack shelves you will get paid more at Coles or Woolies than you will at Sainsbo's - I am sure someone will flame me for that if I am wrong...

Also, there is a 50% rebate on childcare (not sure if that is for Temp residents though) if both parents are working.

I think you're right fleabo. I did research just that and I found, but couldn't truly confirm, that an adult supermarket shelf stacker at Coles gets $17.47 per hour or $664 for a 38 hour week. This is compared with £6.08 per hour over a Sainsbury’s in the UK. That's a huge amount more to the Aussie worker, especially at current exchange rates, something like 70% more.

I think you're right fleabo. I did research just that and I found, but couldn't truly confirm, that an adult supermarket shelf stacker at Coles gets $17.47 per hour or $664 for a 38 hour week. This is compared with £6.08 per hour over a Sainsbury’s in the UK. That's a huge amount more to the Aussie worker, especially at current exchange rates, something like 70% more.

Those were the figures I had read too (award rate about $18/hour for non-casual staff, more if casual) but I have not worked as shelf-stacker for a while, and never in Australia, and sometimes the reality is very different from a Google. Like a $4 lemon.:wubclub:

Thanks.

Guest guest30038
and sometimes the reality is very different from a Google. Like a $4 lemon.:wubclub:

Thanks.

:biglaugh: LMFAO......gotta pay it if you want that G&T though..or was it vodka and summat? :rolleyes:

Guest siamsusie
Those were the figures I had read too (award rate about $18/hour for non-casual staff, more if casual) but I have not worked as shelf-stacker for a while, and never in Australia, and sometimes the reality is very different from a Google. Like a $4 lemon.:wubclub:

Thanks.

My young one whilst a student earned $18 stacking in Woolworths, plus double time on Public Holidays and even some hols were paid for as a casual worker. I thought he was treated very well. This was in Karratha. Packing lemons came under a special category $20 ph :biggrin: precious cargo.

Guest guest30038
Packing lemons came under a special category $20 ph :biggrin: precious cargo.

Especially if they were going to magnetic Island! :biglaugh:

kev

Be interested to see what others who have just moved back to UK think/say as regards to the cost of a weeks grocery shop.

We lived in Torquay for almost a year and tended to do our weekley shop in Coles or Woolies in Geelong and I will admit I did have the occasional grumble about the price of things but now that we are back in UK (Aberdeen) I am grumbling more. In the year we were away I can deffo say that the cost of our weekley shop, we use either Asda or Tesco, has gone way up. So on a par I would say its even stevens when you get to the till, wouldnt say there is a lot in it on a grocery shop now between UK & Oz.

As for Costco we went to the one in Melbourne when it first opened, and sorry to say I didnt think it on a par with the ones here in the UK.

One observation I'd like to make about the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys. Has anyone that's been away for a few years and come back noticed that the queues are longer? (Except at the deli where numbered tickets no longer are required).

Gone are the days when a new checkout would be opened to ease a growing queue (both Sainsburys and Tesco had customer service promises to do it at one point). The self-service lanes don't seem to have improved things.

I wonder if this is because the UK supermarkets are no longer competing against the small high street/cornershop alternatives?

One observation I'd like to make about the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys. Has anyone that's been away for a few years and come back noticed that the queues are longer? (Except at the deli where numbered tickets no longer are required).

Gone are the days when a new checkout would be opened to ease a growing queue (both Sainsburys and Tesco had customer service promises to do it at one point). The self-service lanes don't seem to have improved things.

I wonder if this is because the UK supermarkets are no longer competing against the small high street/cornershop alternatives?

I think that competition went years ago, I expect they've realised in the GFC that price is a bigger differentiater than service so cut costs on staff to keep product prices lower. Or maybe just to keep shareholders happy, most of the profit supermarkets make is on non-food items, just the things we cut out when the going gets tough.

Archived