Is Oz much more expensive than the UK

Boesman

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I like to let people know that either way, using the 1.6 or 2.2 rate, the cost of living isn't alot dearer in Australia.

$1.6 figure based on the current exchange rate. You have to add roughly about an extra 33% increase you will be getting in your wage living in OZ.

$2.2 figure is based on approximately actual wage earnings in Australia, compared to UK wages, based on alot of skilled jobs.

I know the repeating of these figures shows that Australia isn't that much dearer than the uk, which hopefully helps those who are thinking about moving.

Do your research like we have and if you are lucky like us you might have alot of family and friends who tell me that the cost of living is similar in OZ to the UK.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like to let people know that either way, using the 1.6 or 2.2 rate, the cost of living isn't alot dearer in Australia.

$1.6 figure based on the current exchange rate. You have to add roughly about an extra 33% increase you will be getting in your wage living in OZ.

$2.2 figure is based on approximately actual wage earnings in Australia, compared to UK wages, based on alot of skilled jobs.

I know the repeating of these figures shows that Australia isn't that much dearer than the uk, which hopefully helps those who are thinking about moving.

Do your research like we have and if you are lucky like us you might have alot of family and friends who tell me that the cost of living is similar in OZ to the UK.

Come on down Jim, take the plunge!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Come on down Jim, take the plunge!

We have lost so much money we would have to start again and being nearly 51 i don't want another massive $250,000 plus mortgage when i am mortgage free here in the uk, just to get that house that we could afford when we applied for our visa, i know money isn't everything, but i have two kids i want to put through university. There isn't anything else really, job opportunities are far better in Australia, great wages, similar cost of living, incredible outdoor lifestyle and so many places to visit and explore, imagine having to go to places on your holidays like Sydney, New Zealand, Fiji, Great Barrier reef, Tasmania etc, sounds horrible. lol.............. horribly nice.

We have lost so much money we would have to start again and being nearly 51 i don't want another massive $250,000 plus mortgage when i am mortgage free here in the uk, just to get that house that we could afford when we applied for our visa, i know money isn't everything, but i have two kids i want to put through university. There isn't anything else really, job opportunities are far better in Australia, great wages, similar cost of living, incredible outdoor lifestyle and so many places to visit and explore, imagine having to go to places on your holidays like Sydney, New Zealand, Fiji, Great Barrier reef, Tasmania etc, sounds horrible. lol.............. horribly nice.

Could you rent out your house in UK and how would that compare to rent you would have to pay renting in Aus?

Would that work if you rented in Aus for as long as required till the exchange rate maybe shifts in your favour.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Could you rent out your house in UK and how would that compare to rent you would have to pay renting in Aus?

Would that work if you rented in Aus for as long as required till the exchange rate maybe shifts in your favour.

We have thought about this, but we have our house in mint condition and we struggle to think that someone else will be living in our lovely house and our next door neighbour rented her house out and went to live in Spain and she had to come back and deall with the mess they had left. Ideally this would be a good idea if it went smoothly, but its not what we want, the wife has said no' and i obey the wife. We still have 4 years to go, surely the uk will come out of this long financial slump eventually and the dollar must go up, hopefully Australia will have a mini crisis lasting about a year, so that we can sell up and cash in on a better exchange rate.

Yes as I said earlier it seems strange to use a 1.6 exchange rate after telling us many times it is irrelevant.

You have to use the current rate not one from the past, if that was the case why not use $3 to the £1 from some time back.

Some people are probably more happy naturally than others and less inclined to worry.

I agree with what has been said.

However for me, If I was struggling financially I think I would worry and hence struggle to be really happy.

Goes for most people I should think, if you are worrying about how you are going to pay the next rent bill how are you going to enjoy yourself.

Guest guest36187

It is pointless to look at an exchange rate of 2.2/1.6. The rate of the day is the only one that matters. It changes so much that it is hard to compare. When we got here the rate was 2.53!

Prices in Oz change like prices in UK change but once you get here....you`re earning dollars and spending dollars. What it cost in the UK is irrelevent if you are earning dollars and spending dollars here.

Just my thoughts x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You have to use the current rate not one from the past, if that was the case why not use $3 to the £1 from some time back.

Its based on average wages, you can either have the current 1.6 rate, which means you then have to factor in that the average wage in OZ is over 30% more, or you go with the average wage of $2.2 to £1, its not difficult to follow.

One or the other, either way it works out that overall costs aren't much different.:wink:

Guest chris955

But you can't pick and choose which one to use. If for whatever reason you think 2.2 is accurate then use it but don't use a much lower one to try and show the difference in wages is huge when they aren't. You stated that wages here are 33% higher than the UK, for a great many people that is highly innacurate.

It is pointless to look at an exchange rate of 2.2/1.6. The rate of the day is the only one that matters. It changes so much that it is hard to compare. When we got here the rate was 2.53!

Prices in Oz change like prices in UK change but once you get here....you`re earning dollars and spending dollars. What it cost in the UK is irrelevent if you are earning dollars and spending dollars here.

Just my thoughts x

Exactley, why Hoff goes on about this 2.2 exchange rate is beyond me, you earn dollars and you spend dollars.

Guest happycrappy
Exactley, why Hoff goes on about this 2.2 exchange rate is beyond me, you earn dollars and you spend dollars.

Your often wrong on most things, but on this your correct, mind you there seems to be a lot of arm chair experts on here who live in the UK, how do they know everything if they don't live here?

Your often wrong on most things, but on this your correct, mind you there seems to be a lot of arm chair experts on here who live in the UK, how do they know everything if they don't live here?

I lived in Oz for over 10 years, how long have you lived in Oz?

Guest happycrappy
I lived in Oz for over 10 years, how long have you lived in Oz?

Me and Noreen came ova as 10 pond poms in the early 70's mate, raised our family went back to the UK for a short time now back here full time, and by the way I think your smashing xxxx

Me and Noreen came ova as 10 pond poms in the early 70's mate, raised our family went back to the UK for a short time now back here full time, and by the way I think your smashing xxxx

Join my fan club if you want, just send me $100 each and I will send you the club badge. :cute:

And I agree, taking a holiday is Oz is a million miles away from living and working there.

Guest chris955

I find Bobby to be spot on with many things, he doesn't feel the need to sugar coat what things are like here and doesn't take offense at anything and everything said about Australia.

I agree with your 2nd point though, it's absurd.

Guest happycrappy
Outside of forums I am a laid back happy guy, I don't let things worry me unduly. In our current situation we don't NEED money to be happy.

Wow, wish I could be as good as you.

Guest happycrappy
Keep practising, you might get there one day :biggrin:

Oooooo I will, don't fink I'll ever be as good at it as you though, still why are there so many armchair experts on here, you'd think you'd live here to be an expert?

Oooooo I will, don't fink I'll ever be as good at it as you though, still why are there so many armchair experts on here, you'd think you'd live here to be an expert?

I suppose if you have lived in Oz and lived in the UK you can compare things...agree?...if you have only been on holiday you can only really have a limited idea...agree?:biggrin:

Guest guest37336

QUOTE CHRIS I find Bobby to be spot on with many things, he doesn't feel the need to sugar coat what things are like here and doesn't take offense at anything and everything said about Australia.

I agree with your 2nd point though, it's absurd. QUOTE CHRIS

Two way street this one Chris995 isn't it. However, you often comment on many aspects of the UK, so I guess to use your analogy, 'It's Absurd' to do so.

Guest chris955

I think that is a very important point, when you have actually lived in both countries for an extended period you are to some extent 'qualified' to comment on each place.

I suppose if you have lived in Oz and lived in the UK you can compare things...agree?...if you have only been on holiday you can only really have a limited idea...agree?:biggrin:

Guest chris955

I think at the end of the day it doesn't really matter overall, for us personally the fact that many things will be cheaper for us in the UK is a bonus and certainly not an important factor in our decision to return. For others it wont be an issue for them coming here.

Archived