Is Oz much more expensive than the UK

Boesman

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The average, i repeat AVERAGE skillied wage is over 30% more in Australia using the current exchange rate.

Hope this helps folk who are trying to emigrate and i haven't ever lived there, see what can be done even by lesser people that are not worthy, like................ me.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have thought about this, but we have our house in mint condition and we struggle to think that someone else will be living in our lovely house and our next door neighbour rented her house out and went to live in Spain and she had to come back and deall with the mess they had left. Ideally this would be a good idea if it went smoothly, but its not what we want, the wife has said no' and i obey the wife. We still have 4 years to go, surely the uk will come out of this long financial slump eventually and the dollar must go up, hopefully Australia will have a mini crisis lasting about a year, so that we can sell up and cash in on a better exchange rate.

Don't bank on it Jim

:biggrin:

Get you butt out here mate. You only live once.

There are some great universities out here too you know. There are some crap ones in the UK so tell your lads to be careful in their choices (and choice of course come to that).

I went to Birmingham (horrible) although the lecturers were great. As I was in the squash and football team we got to visit a lot of unis and I liked Liverpool, Oxford poly (don't know what it's called now), Manchester and Loughborough. Plus a few of the smaller ones anywhere near the coast. Portsmouth was good.

I did Systems Engineering and shared a house with 1 guy doing economics, 1 law and 2 accountancy. I was the only one to have to go in every day, the guys thought I was nuts going some days when we had been on a bender.

The guy doing law went about 3 times a term and just copied notes. He still managed to pass somehow.

If I had my time to come again I wouldn't go anywhere near an Engineering course, too hard in comparison to most others.

3 of the guys had rich parents and were doing about 10 quid a day on dope. The house stank of it. Being a non smoker I spent most of my time in the library, squash court or pub and just went there to sleep.

Hated Birmingham and Sparkhill, where our digs were, with a vengance.

Guest gemfromoz

Hi guys,

Completely new here, been reading the forums for a while.

I've got dual citizenship, grew up in Brisbane and moved to the UK for my other half three years ago. Been living in relatively affluent village areas since being here.

In terms of wage, I was on a skilled project management role before I left on 50K AUD. Here, I have struggled for the last 3 years to get a role anywhere near that level of skill. Ive never had a problem getting a job before, and my aussie education translates to 8 'A' levels and a couple of nvq's (currently studying for a double degree). I'm on 23K GBP here now, which is the most i've been on since moving. The least is minimum wage, which is pitiful over here.

So by my calculations, considering I would earn this wage in Oz as a waitress/secretary, I'm personally worse off. (basing this on a temp job I had before leaving at $30 an hour stuffing envelopes).

When you take into consideration bills, fair enough I have a partner now and we share bills, its about even. Including rent, electric, phone, broadband, car etc. Not including council tax and oil, two things I never paid in Oz (renting). I found the total I pay in both countries is about the same, the figures themselves do differ, electric was very cheap in Oz from last memory, but I believe this has changed recently.

So salary I'm worse off, bills about the same, happiness level? Well, I cant stand the cold, or coats, or rain. But networking and career opportunities, if you can find them! are fantastic and I love my partner dearly. Its a trade off.

At the end of the day, do your figures, and your research. If you can take a lump sum to start out with (or assets you can sell), and afford day to day living on your *OZ* wage, then jump in the deep end and give it a go.

If not, then, sadly, you might just have to stay put. Or work towards a career that will give you the wage to allow you to move.

For me I cant wait to get back to Oz to be a carnivore again! We cant afford much meat here :(

Guest bateman

I live in Sydney and I think it is about the same as London in terms of cost of living - some things are more expensive (food) some cheaper (petrol)

But what money cannot buy is my 10 minute walk to work or my 20 minute drive to some of the best beaches in the world

Guest cricketbackinengland

Just a tip before moving to Oz, as part of your research on costs, read the local Oz papers online beforehand. You can see what the current issues are and if you read the reader comments on various issues, you can learn straight from the horses mouth (local Joe public) what they love or loath about price increases, politics, costs of living, housing, food, jobs etc.

Since water and utility companies have been privatised, bills have gone up. The link below is the paper for Brisbane and Queensland.

One million southeast Queenslanders overcharged on water use this year costing extra $10 million | Courier Mail

Guest Positivity

Just moved over from Dublin guys, which everyone says is really expensive, thought I had done a lot of research but WOW its really really expensive here! Hubbie is getting paid over twice what he got paid in Dublin so it's probably going to be worth it, and so far I'm liking it, but SO EXPENSIVE

Just moved over from Dublin guys, which everyone says is really expensive, thought I had done a lot of research but WOW its really really expensive here! Hubbie is getting paid over twice what he got paid in Dublin so it's probably going to be worth it, and so far I'm liking it, but SO EXPENSIVE

I was shocked at how cheap it was in the UK comapred to Oz so it works both ways, I am better off here in money terms and quality of life but might go back in the future to see if I like Oz any better.

Guest guest30038
I was shocked at how cheap it was in the UK comapred to Oz so it works both ways, I am better off here in money terms and quality of life but might go back in the future to see if I like Oz any better.

Spare us please! :tongue: :biglaugh:

We live within our means, I manage to follow my grandparent's philosophy of having an open door policy for all and sundry. There is always food /wine on the table and what we cant afford we do without! Our lifestyle in terms of happiness, togetherness cant be measured and yes for me I am living in one of the best countries of the world

Susie

We've only recently moved over and the prices were a bit of a surprise as when we came for a holiday in 2008 the £ was much stronger against the Aussie $. However, from the jobs I've seen here the average wage is higher than in the UK. We've also got used to doing things the Aussie way - barbequeing! - and only buying what we're going to use....and we are far less wasteful than we used to be in the UK! But we definitely don't go without and our outdoor lifestyle more than makes up for having access to cheaper luxuries.

Guest kaylee25

My family are going over on a 457 visa with my hubby's job. He will be on the same money as he is in the UK. We have weighed it all up and even though we will have less money than in the UK we have decided it is worth it because my husband will be home more. In the UK he has to live away from home all week and is only home on weekends. So we will have a smaller house, only one car etc. Hope this helps

Kaylee xx

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to add my 2 cents here - i am currently waiting for my 457 visa so have been thinking about this alot. So last week i went on vacation to Oz - and was shocked by how much everything costs. But thats because i was paying in GBp and the exchange rate is so good / bad at the moment. So when you earn AUD it works out very similar price - what most people do (and i include myself in this) is they only convert the cost of an item into GBP and not also there salary. e.g - loaf of bread costs 3.00 AUD - which is about 2 quid (which seems expensive). But if you convert the goods cost to GBp you must also convert your salary so its like for like. So where as i used to get 30K GBP per year and bread was 1.50 GBP in england. In oz i get paid 50k GBP (because of exchange rate) and bread is 2.00 - so levels it out.

Guest tandcmum
Just going to add my 2 cents here - i am currently waiting for my 457 visa so have been thinking about this alot. So last week i went on vacation to Oz - and was shocked by how much everything costs. But thats because i was paying in GBp and the exchange rate is so good / bad at the moment. So when you earn AUD it works out very similar price - what most people do (and i include myself in this) is they only convert the cost of an item into GBP and not also there salary. e.g - loaf of bread costs 3.00 AUD - which is about 2 quid (which seems expensive). But if you convert the goods cost to GBp you must also convert your salary so its like for like. So where as i used to get 30K GBP per year and bread was 1.50 GBP in england. In oz i get paid 50k GBP (because of exchange rate) and bread is 2.00 - so levels it out.

It must be hard not to convert stuff into GBP all the time tho, cos thats hat we are used to doing when we travel anywhere else in the world, but as you say you have to look at the proportion of your wages that it is costing compared to the proportion of your wages in Oz and things probably work out similar. Of course some things will be more expensive, some will be cheaper.

Archived