Is Oz much more expensive than the UK

Boesman

Guest chris955

I must admit I haven't ever met anyone who cooks on the BBQ every day, most people are way too busy with kids or getting ready for work etc. I hope you manage to do it though.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Surely 36,000 pounds is $79,000 using your own 2.2 ratio ? The difference is nowhere near 33% so again it is misleading to say that average wages are 33% higher here.

Average wages are about 33% more in Australia at present, so that needs to be factored in when comparing prices. The wife earns £36,000 as a senior nurse in the UK and in Australian money thats about $60,000, but she would be earning $85,000.

Me and Noreen use the BBQ every day

More than twice a week and i start to hate the taste of barbied food, plus the cancer scare with charcoaled foods put me off a bit.

Guest guest37336

Honestly couldn't care less how much more or less expensive Australia is. Give a million quid to stay in UK, or tell me to bugger of the OZ with a few bucks, I know where I would rather be is all, no surprise that one.

Costing is all well and good, but at the end of the day when in Australia all you can do is spend in DOLLARS, that's it.

But this is beginning to sound like a competition, who gives a flying fudge about the everyday costs, as long as family is cared for, then so be it.

Lets face it, there are many on here who are well and truly loaded (or say they are at least) and no matter there financial position they are deeply unhappy. Money plays NO part in 'true' happiness, none at all.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest guest30038
Money plays NO part in 'true' happiness, none at all.

OK, you won't mind giving me yours then. :tongue: :wink:

Money does play a part in happiness.

If you have no money you will be worried about how you are going to survive.

You need enough money to be comfortable and then you can be happy.

Defining what 'enough money' means is a little tricky.

Actually, I think when you have your house paid off, and so no mortgage or rent, you feel more content/secure and therefore happy.

Guest chris955

Absolutely no doubt that money plays it's part in being happy. Ask the people living on the streets how happy they are or those living on the breadline. We are happy and are quite comfortable but we go without some things.

Guest siamsusie
Honestly couldn't care less how much more or less expensive Australia is. Give a million quid to stay in UK, or tell me to bugger of the OZ with a few bucks, I know where I would rather be is all, no surprise that one.

Costing is all well and good, but at the end of the day when in Australia all you can do is spend in DOLLARS, that's it.

But this is beginning to sound like a competition, who gives a flying fudge about the everyday costs, as long as family is cared for, then so be it.

Lets face it, there are many on here who are well and truly loaded (or say they are at least) and no matter there financial position they are deeply unhappy. Money plays NO part in 'true' happiness, none at all.

Refreshing phew!:swoon:

Guest guest30038
Money does play a part in happiness.

Depends at what stage you are in your life and your priorities. The old saying, "blinded by love" rings true, for me anyway.

You would think that now the mortgage is paid off, and the kids are in a good school, and we don't have to worry about money, other than earning enough to get by, that I would be blissfully happier than any time in my life..............not true.

I was at my happiest, when I first met my wife. We had absolutely nothing when she came out of the Navy (back then a WREN had to leave if they got married). She secured a mortgage on her navy pay 3 weeks before she left and 3 weeks later we had a mortgage and she was out of work. The next 3 yrs were the hardest of my life (financially) as she fell pregnant a year later and I stayed at home to look after baby, but we were besotted with each other (and the bub) and nothing else mattered other than we were together. For nearly the whole of the first year, we lived on Army Ration packs that I had accumulated, and continued to receive from the weekend cadet adventure training camps we ran. They couldn't be returned to stores once issued and we always "over requested" :wink:

Even with all the money worries and only one income with a new mortgage, I can honestly say that those were the happiest years of my lfe...............Love conquers all :yes:

kev

Just look at the "Waltons" not a pot to pee in and happy as you like :biglaugh: Seriously you are right, we love it here and money has no bearing, however if I win the lottery, a house with a sea view and a swimming pool may well be on the cards :biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Just look at the "Waltons" not a pot to pee in and happy as you like :biglaugh: Seriously you are right, we love it here and money has no bearing, however if I win the lottery, a house with a sea view and a swimming pool may well be on the cards :biglaugh:

Hi Que.

Yeah I think my OP was a little misinterprated again. I did say 'TRUE' happiness. Not what wealth can buy you. And of course I have the greatest sympathy with those struggling and will do what I can for them, (if they want it), but as I said true happiness is seeing smiles on your kids faces, (which takes no money) the sunrise, sunset etc.

Like Kev said, at times love can conquer all. And the happiset I have ever been was when travelling around Australia, a backpack, wife, and little else. And I will do it yet again with my two children, work when we can, often for peanuts and show them that money plays little part in true happiness.

Start to measure a person by their material wealth and you will more often than not be deeply saddened by their true persona.

Guest siamsusie
Hi Que.

Start to measure a person by their material wealth and you will more often than not be deeply saddened by their true persona.

:yes: oh so true!

Average wages are about 33% more in Australia at present, so that needs to be factored in when comparing prices. The wife earns £36,000 as a senior nurse in the UK and in Australian money thats about $60,000, but she would be earning $85,000.

I'm a bit confused with this one.:confused:

36,000 is roughly $57,000 with the current exchange rate of 1.6.

36,000 is about $79,000 with the exchange rate of 2.2 which you quote a lot, where did the $85,000 come from?

Do you mean the payscale she would be on in Oz, depending of the years of experience?

Depends at what stage you are in your life and your priorities. The old saying, "blinded by love" rings true, for me anyway.

You would think that now the mortgage is paid off, and the kids are in a good school, and we don't have to worry about money, other than earning enough to get by, that I would be blissfully happier than any time in my life..............not true.

I was at my happiest, when I first met my wife. We had absolutely nothing when she came out of the Navy (back then a WREN had to leave if they got married). She secured a mortgage on her navy pay 3 weeks before she left and 3 weeks later we had a mortgage and she was out of work. The next 3 yrs were the hardest of my life (financially) as she fell pregnant a year later and I stayed at home to look after baby, but we were besotted with each other (and the bub) and nothing else mattered other than we were together. For nearly the whole of the first year, we lived on Army Ration packs that I had accumulated, and continued to receive from the weekend cadet adventure training camps we ran. They couldn't be returned to stores once issued and we always "over requested" :wink:

Even with all the money worries and only one income with a new mortgage, I can honestly say that those were the happiest years of my lfe...............Love conquers all :yes:

kev

My Sheila , barbie, fishing rod and a few tinnies bliss!

Guest guest30038

36,000 is about $79,000 with the exchange rate of 2.2 which you quote a lot, where did the $85,000 come from?

Do you mean the payscale she would be on in Oz, depending of the years of experience?

Yes, he does, increments, along with more annual leave and other fringes. helen would be on a similar pay scale to my wife who had a taxable income last year of 90k

Guest chris955

Yes as I said earlier it seems strange to use a 1.6 exchange rate after telling us many times it is irrelevant.

Guest chris955

Outside of forums I am a laid back happy guy, I don't let things worry me unduly. In our current situation we don't NEED money to be happy.

I think his missus has already checked to see what she would get paid on the same job she does in the UK. Hence the $85,000.

Somalia or Ethiopia and numerous other places would probably be a lot cheaper than Aus to live in but I don't find people queuing for different types of visas to get into those countries.

People emigrating wouldn't know what they might end up doing, what opportunities might be available and how much they will be paid once over here, so the whole comparison thing is a bit irrelevant.

It's been done to death I reckon.

Guest guest30038
I think his missus has already checked to see what she would get paid on the same job she does in the UK. Hence the $85,000.

Yep. Interviewed and job on offer.............just needs the Hoff to shift his big butt. :biglaugh:

Guest chris955

I think it was more the fact that the figures didn't add up.

Archived