Is Oz much more expensive than the UK

Boesman

I know many people want to believe that Australia is no more expensive than the UK, but it is. It's simply dishonest to pretend otherwise.

This thread shows that there are coping strategies that can be put in place - shopping in discount supermarkets or at markets; going out midweek rather than at weekends; buying stuff second hand; etc. But that's not really comparing like for like when you were used to being able to shop for food in proper supermarkets (Tesco or Sainsbury) without worrying about the prices or going out when you want, or buying new things. I don't dispute that it can be done, but we aren't doing potential migrants any favours by telling them that Australia is not a very, very high cost country right now. Wages are generally lower too, although there may be one or two trades which can command more. Even where wages may look similar, that tends to be a quirk of the exchange rate and actual spending power will be less because of the very high prices.

Also, the idea that house prices are only high in CBDs is also way wrong. In Melbourne at least they are high in all areas, even on the very outskirts.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe wages seem lower if you are moving to a position as anew employee at a lower level.

I do know that IT jobs I looked at advertised in UK seemed to be a lot lower paying than over here. I was looking at project management roles.

The fact is the majority of Aussies shop at Coles or Woolworths, pay their mortgage and utility bills and get buy.

We shouldn't make it out like people will not be able to survive, because that's not true.

Definately 2 incomes in the family makes a big difference.

Guest girlwizz99

I do think people can survive here and it certainly helps that there are so many good outdoor activities available with all the national parks and beaches. Camping, once you've got the kit, is free, there are great walks, surfing etc - all wonderful and wholesome! With regard to the prices in Coles and Woolworths, even though my husband and I are on good wages and have UK income (I know we are very lucky), I find it so difficult to bring myself to spend $2.99 on one leek, $5 for a small cauliflower or $3.95 for some spring onions... I think I hit a new low when I spent $4 on a lemon once - but we were drinking G&Ts so it was vital... One other word of warning is that even if you can find cheap rental property some of the sprawling suburbs are so dreary and depressing - you need two cars (environmentally profligate) if both partners work as public transport is very limited.

Guest siamsusie
forgive me for asking but where is Hobart ? ......and are lidle and aldi still good prices?

Hobart Capital of Tasmania.....:mad: Nicholas!!! now tell me where is Perth please??:cute:

Guest siamsusie

Personally I dont find it more expensive at all. The Butchers are brillient, I have an affordable organic veggie shop up the road from me.. I try and steer clear of all supermarkets unless its for coffee on specials, fresh eggs from the neighbours, cheeses locally made and reasonable. Toileteries from Chickenfeed (a cut price shop here in Tasmania). (Red Dot WA equivalent). When I think what I spent on convenience food back in the UK its shameful.. only Waitrose or M & S were good "tasteful" value imo.

I feel we eat healthier here! WA for me was much more expensive and in Karratha I had to be exceptionally carfeful... grow your own mangoes and lemon trees etc was the way to go lol .

Guest Benchola

I suppose it all comes down to where you are living in Australia, as some areas do seem to be a lot more expensive.

We're living in Brisbane and haven't found that everything is 3/4 times more expensive shopping wise. Some things, like branded goods, tend to be a lot more expensive but we've found fresh foods, particularly meat, to be a lot cheaper (and far better quality) than in the UK. If you're careful how you shop and don't instantly jump at the UK branded items then the price of shopping is similar to that of the UK - you win on the swings and lose on the roundabouts. The trick is to give the roundabouts a miss! Beer and wine is VERY expensive here - but then they don't have all the social problems (hoodies?) that we had in the UK. It's still there, just not as prevalent.

Cars are generally more expensive, but dealerships are a lot more open to haggling than in the UK - so if you shop around you can get a bargain. Second hand cars are a lot more expensive than in the UK, but new cars are on a par - possibly slightly cheaper. Don't forget also that you won't have to do an MOT every year - so that's a fair few quid that you could save, although it makes the safety of some used cars highly questionable!

House prices and rents are very expensive here - but again it depends on where and what you are looking for. In my view, the housing market is as expensive as it was in the hUK before the recession, although I can't see a 'crash' happening any time soon. All you can do is research and see what you can get as you would do in the UK. You can certainly buy more for your buck the further you live away from the CBD, but then you have to balance that with an increased commute (if you work in the city) and travel costs.

So what's cheaper here? Well, parking is free pretty much everywhere apart from the CBD. There are a plenty of parks and outdoor waterparks that are again free - so weekends out with the family are no where near as expensive as they might be in the UK, particularly as you can rely on the weather here a lot more. Dining out is a lot more expensive generally, but you can find bargain places like Sizzler and you can buy that big 6 ring bbq and invest in all the cheap meat!

People make the mistake when they come out here that they think they'll have all the good parts of the UK with better weather. It's not like that. Australian is becoming a very 'Americanised' culture, but they don't have all the same problems. If you're coming out here you have to reflect that you're looking for a different life to that of the UK - if you keep comparing back to 'what it was like back home', you're on a loser already.

Guest siamsusie
What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlwizz99 viewpost.gif

food is about three or four times the price as the UK

I lived in Karratha for 5 years one of the most expensive places to live in in Australia, no way could I ever say it was more expensive than the UK grocery, rates, petrol, wise.

Houses are exhorbinate but my husband had the right to buy in the 80's .

For me you cut your cloth according to .....

One of the major aspects to remember is that we could buy all out of season goods in europe, here we are dependant on "in season goods" the latter being cheaper imo... buy out of season expect to pay much much more..

Shallots primarily cultivated in Holland /France are a dreadful price but I can afford to buy a couple at a time lol.

Guest girlwizz99
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlwizz99 viewpost.gif

food is about three or four times the price as the UK

I lived in Karratha for 5 years one of the most expensive places to live in in Australia, no way could I ever say it was more expensive than the UK grocery, rates, petrol, wise.

Houses are exhorbinate but my husband had the right to buy in the 80's .

For me you cut your cloth according to .....

One of the major aspects to remember is that we could buy all out of season goods in europe, here we are dependant on "in season goods" the latter being cheaper imo... buy out of season expect to pay much much more..

Shallots primarily cultivated in Holland /France are a dreadful price but I can afford to buy a couple at a time lol.

May be if you did your grocery shopping at Fortnum and Masons in UK.... It is just impossible to say that vegetables, bread, cheese etc are not hugely more expensive than in the UK. If you have an Aldi it is much better value - I went to one in Coolangatta last year and it was so refreshing to buy all the things you might want!! How come Coles and Woolworths are such a rip off! $4 for a loaf of sliced white bread here = I have NEVER spent 2.60 quid on a loaf of bread unless it was super flash ciabatta with olives, sun dried tomatoes and all that melarchy.. In fact I was toying with a tiny slice of pretty average stilton today in Coles - $9 - now that's 5.50 for something you could buy in the UK for a quid. I obviously left it ! It is just a fact that stable foods are much more. I suspect red meat is cheaper if you are happy to eat it often - soya veggie stuff is exorbitant - $5.99 for a small pack of quorn mince .. If you do your clothes shopping at K Mart , Big W and Target you might say it is cheaper than the UK but the stuff is on par with Primark in terms of quality, fabric etc If you want M&S equivalent stuff you are in Myers or David Jones - which are quite a lot more.. Petrol is definitely cheaper but I am not sure that is a good thing as it prevents transport and environmental initiatives....

Guest siamsusie
May be if you did your grocery shopping at Fortnum and Masons.... It is just impossible to say that vegetables, bread, cheese etc are not hugely more expensive than in the UK. It is just a fact...

In season products here in Tasmania are not more expensive.. I do an on line shopping from Tescos every fortnight for a family member who lives on 65 pounds a week so I do watch what is happening.

My organic produce here is cheaper than the UK. We are Tasmania and locally grown items are cheaper. We also have the wonderful Hmongs who grow all here and I try and support them as well.

Karratha was more expensive only having Woolies and Coles and all shipped in.

We also have to remember that Coles/Woolworths prices vary considerably from state to state.. we in fact from time to time take the car on the ferry to Melbourne for shopping / theatre etc and do a grog run at the same time, very strange brings back memories of France!

Guest guest30038
May be if you did your grocery shopping at Fortnum and Masons in UK.... It is just impossible to say that vegetables, bread, cheese etc are not hugely more expensive than in the UK. If you have an Aldi it is much better value - I went to one in Coolangatta last year and it was so refreshing to buy all the things you might want!! How come Coles and Woolworths are such a rip off! $4 for a loaf of sliced white bread here

I suggest that you look a little harder. There is never a week goes by that Sunblest or one of the other name brands isn't on special @ 2 for $5 (sometimes $4) at both Woolies and Coles.

Asda Cheddar 6pound 90p a kilo. Australian equiv Tasty this week at $8 kilo

Asda cauliflower 1.67 Coles Australian cauliflower $1.99

Asda leeks 1.27 Coles leeks $2.49

Asda mushrooms 5.60 kilo Coles 8.99

Asda eggs large 2.98 Coles extra large $2. 04

All the above prices I can half at my local greengrocer (other than the cheese)

asda heinz beans 64p Coles special $1.00

asda heinz spaghetti 50p Coles special $1.00

This weeks meat buys at my local butcher.......try comparing this to asda or tesco! :shocked:

leg of lamb $6.00 kilo

rump $5.99

t bone $8.99

leg pork $4.99

I can go on at great length as I have in the past, but suffice to say, if you buy when on special at coles woolworths or IGA, prices are comparable and in many cases cheaper, Aldi likely the same as UK. If you buy at everyday prices, then with the current exchange rate (which shouldn't be used as a comaprison anyway) pantry items are dearer.

Veg, fruit, and meat, bought in the right places is considerably cheaper and IMHO of better quality.

I never buy at everyday prices and stock up when items are on special.......tins in the pantry and meat to the freezer, although meat can be obtained at more than half the price, sometimes a third, of the UK at anytime.

I sometimes wonder when, where, and how, some of the whingers re Oz prices, do their shopping?

kev

Guest siamsusie
Must be huge regional disadvantages up here. I've never seen prices anywhere close to those.

I see you are in Cairns which is a pretty big city.... in Karratha we paid $6.50 free range eggs here we pay locally $2/3 freshly laid the same day.. I never paid $4 for a lemon! ever... and we only have Coles and Woolies in Karratha.

Cairns Coles on Line shopping today 19th September 2010

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=17551&catalogId=16552&state=QLD&krypto=gV7pDlSACn%2FVEZ%2FezfP%2FTg%3D%3D&ddkey=https:ShowWebStore

Lemons Fresh 5 pack $3.49 for five lemons which works out 69c each

Clawson Blue Stilton Cheese 125g $7.62

Guest girlwizz99
I see you are in Cairns which is a pretty big city.... in Karratha we paid $6.50 free range eggs here we pay locally $2.00 freshly paid the same day.. I never paid $4 for a lemon! ever... and we only have Coles and Woolies in Karratha.

Cairns Coles on Line shopping today 19th September 2010

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=17551&catalogId=16552&state=QLD&krypto=gV7pDlSACn%2FVEZ%2FezfP%2FTg%3D%3D&ddkey=https:ShowWebStore

Lemons Fresh 5 pack $3.49 for five lemons which works out 69c each

The lemon was in IGA on Magnetic Island. There probably are some economy products - big blocks of bland cheese, home brand beans and sliced white bread but these are not the products I buy. I don't have an issue with expense I just think it is just clearly a fact that the prices in Coles and Woolies are significantly more than the cost of a basket of shopping in Tesco or Sainsburys. No need to continue with the tiny details and I am sorry I started it!

Guest guest30038
Must be huge regional disadvantages up here. I've never seen prices anywhere close to those.

Just got back from getting the sunday veggies (we ate late)

Coles Large Caulis $1.25

broccoli $2.49 kilo......

Bugger! they'd sold out of brussel sprouts so I'll have to manage with frozen :rolleyes:

kev

Guest siamsusie
The lemon was in IGA on Magnetic Island. There probably are some economy products - big blocks of bland cheese, home brand beans and sliced white bread but these are not the products I buy. I don't have an issue with expense I just think it is just clearly a fact that the prices in Coles and Woolies are significantly more than the cost of a basket of shopping in Tesco or Sainsburys. No need to continue with the tiny details and I am sorry I started it!

Magnetic Island is expensive

Good news for grocery shoppers - ABC North Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

On survey it is one of the most expensive places for basket shopping

The most expensive basket of groceries was on Magnetic Island, and on the mainland it was Rasmussen.

I have never shopped at Fortnums, and Kev has given a clear indication above of prices.

If someone states it is $4 for a lemon it would have been clearer to have said on Magnetic Island:laugh:

I know many people want to believe that Australia is no more expensive than the UK, but it is. It's simply dishonest to pretend otherwise.

This thread shows that there are coping strategies that can be put in place - shopping in discount supermarkets or at markets; going out midweek rather than at weekends; buying stuff second hand; etc. But that's not really comparing like for like when you were used to being able to shop for food in proper supermarkets (Tesco or Sainsbury) without worrying about the prices or going out when you want, or buying new things. I don't dispute that it can be done, but we aren't doing potential migrants any favours by telling them that Australia is not a very, very high cost country right now. Wages are generally lower too, although there may be one or two trades which can command more. Even where wages may look similar, that tends to be a quirk of the exchange rate and actual spending power will be less because of the very high prices.

Also, the idea that house prices are only high in CBDs is also way wrong. In Melbourne at least they are high in all areas, even on the very outskirts.

You are right, people quote well you can buy cheaper if you are willing to shop around away from coles and woolies, this is also true of uk, loads of cheap shops cheaper then asda, sainsburys, poundland for one, pound shops, for a family with kids and older kids as well it is more expensive in oz, people forget all the hidden costs like schools, dental, doctors, communication, clothes (rip off here for crap) shoes, runners (rip off) houses even living away from CBD you are talking now 400,000 plus so yes of course its more expensive here then uk, if you take every thing into account. I know a lot of ex pats just coming over, or been here for a while, everybody I speak to say the same they did not realise how quickly their money went, and how expensive it is. so you are right, it is dishonest to try and sugar coat the subject, it is fact oz is more expensive then uk if you have kids, and lets face it most people who decide to come here do it for the kids.

Guest girlwizz99
Magnetic Island is expensive

Good news for grocery shoppers - ABC North Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

On survey it is one of the most expensive places for basket shopping

The most expensive basket of groceries was on Magnetic Island, and on the mainland it was Rasmussen.

I have never shopped at Fortnums, and Kev has given a clear indication above of prices.

If someone states it is $4 for a lemon it would have been clearer to have said on Magnetic Island:laugh:

I cannot how listing Brisbane prices has any relevance to the very different costs of items in Cairns and Townsville.

Guest siamsusie
I cannot how listing Brisbane prices has any relevance to the very different costs of items in Cairns and Townsville.

Sorry I should have explained Girlwizz.. the listing I gave in my last post was regatding Magnetic Island being expensive therefore I understand the price of the said Lemon!

The previous post outlining the prices in Cairns shows to me the prices are about the same as probably here in Tasmania, yet another island ( as is Magnetic but not en par by any means) not known for cheap supermarkets, we basically do not have the choice. I manage exceptionally well buying locally as does Kev and many others... its swings and roundabouts, but when you initally stated that food was 3/4 times the price compared to the UK, personally I havent found that to be so...

I do however realise that many do find Australia expensive, again this depends on your own standard of living, which state one inhabits etc etc... I dont compare, I live with my dollar, basically if I cant afford an item I do without.

No arguement intended but I too have lived rurally for 5 years, and basically on many occasions prior to being granted a working spouse visa I went back to good old Mother Cookbook!

Best wishes Susie

I suggest that you look a little harder. ...

I never buy at everyday prices and stock up when items are on special.......tins in the pantry and meat to the freezer, although meat can be obtained at more than half the price, sometimes a third, of the UK at anytime.

I sometimes wonder when, where, and how, some of the whingers re Oz prices, do their shopping?

kev

You are not comparing like with like - you are comparing regular prices in mainstream supermarkets in the UK with special offers in Coles or with market prices. If I am a whinger (actually, I think I'm just a realist) then I do my shopping at Safeway using mostly regular prices. If something is on special offer then great but I'm not going to plan menus and shopping trips around it. Also, special offers tend not to reduce the item price but rather offer you extra quantity for marginally more money. But I'm not going to pay extra for a second loaf of bread when I don't finish the first.

Guest AndyandYvonneD

We are the type of people that don't realy go hunting for bargains when shopping, but all in all Australia is most certainly cheaper than the UK......no idea where you've been shopping...maybe it was Myers! :biglaugh:

Guest guest30038

I cannot see how, despite your location, (and I have stayed up there and know that it isn't that vastly different to brizzy) you can inform someone who is likely making one of the biggest decisions of their lives in coming here, that "Everything is very very expensive in Australia right now" and " food is about three or four times the price as the UK"

Everything isn't very very expensive and neither is food 3 to 4 times dearer than the UK. In fact, twice as dear would be stretching it a bit :rolleyes:

Factoring in seasonal anomolies, various items may be dearer, whilst at other times, cheaper. Brussel sprouts for example, out of season can reach as high as $12 a kilo whilst at other times, as low as $2 a kilo. Apples as high as $5 a kilo can go as low as $1.99 at major suppliers and even cheaper at greengrocers.

"3 to 4 times dearer" is a sweeping generalisation in your post whereas in this post, I can safely say that I can find meat, without any trouble at all, at a price 3 to 4 times cheaper than the UK. Fact.........not misleading information is what I try to supply :biggrin:

This post is a statement of fact given in good faith as advice to the OP. Can you honestly say that for a fact food is 3 to 4 times dearer, when I have clearly shown from current Coles Asda prices that it isn't?

kev

Guest guest30038
You are not comparing like with like - you are comparing regular prices in mainstream supermarkets in the UK with special offers in Coles or with market prices. If I am a whinger (actually, I think I'm just a realist) then I do my shopping at Safeway using mostly regular prices. If something is on special offer then great but I'm not going to plan menus and shopping trips around it. Also, special offers tend not to reduce the item price but rather offer you extra quantity for marginally more money. But I'm not going to pay extra for a second loaf of bread when I don't finish the first.

I'm sorry but that's irrelevant.

From the OP "Hi all, I have been reading on the forums for a while and it seems to me that living in Oz is actually way more expensive than the UK?"

I have endeavoured to show that it doesn't have to be. many folk who come to Oz, do a "workaround". They do what they have to do to survive initially, if their dream of living here requires that. If you don't want to stick that 2nd loaf in your freezer, or shop when and where foods are cheaper then that is your personal choice, but that does not mean tha food in Australia is 3 to 4 times dearer. I defy anyone to prove that it is even twice as dear than the UK, even when shopping for items not on special. eg I quoted Heinz beans at a dollar special, which is comparable to UK. even at the regular price of 1.40 that still is not even twice the price of the UK and at previous exchange rates would in fact likely be less.

Misinformation was given, I merely, as I always have and always will, attempt to disprove mis-information.

kev

Guest Hearne_Family
I know in Australia my wages are double what they are in the UK......

It all comes down to the way you want to live, if you want to do all your shopping in coles, food shopping will be expensive. If you want to live right near the CBD houses are expensive. etc, etc, etc

Like everything it takes time to find out where the bargins are.

(last year)

2 scotch fillet steaks in coles $10, at the market a tray of 10 scotch fillet steaks $10, same for the fruit and veg.

Going out, change your Friday to a tuesday and you get mid week specials.

People seem to want do things the same way they did as in the UK, people need to remember that Australia (even though part of the commonwealth) has a different way of doing things.

Get into the Aussie way of doing things and you will find things are no more expensive than the UK, and your life will be all the more richer.

I would suggest the OP takes note of this sound advice.

Guest guest36187

Prices vary all around Oz. Having travelled and stayed in Cairns, through to MElbourne and over to Perth I can say that there is a MASSIVE difference in prives in location.

Re: COmparing to UK. About a year ago I did an `online shop`with Asda from here in Oz. (And no they dont deliver here before some smart so and so says something!!! lol). Asda was a hell of a lot cheaper. I did a `like for like` shop as much as I could.

Some things are cheaper but equally a lot are dearer. I have been here over 5 years and there is a massive increase in everything. Food, fuel, cost of living etc.

When we got here fuel was 78c per litre!!! Now $1.30

Prices vary all around Oz. Having travelled and stayed in Cairns, through to MElbourne and over to Perth I can say that there is a MASSIVE difference in prives in location.

Re: COmparing to UK. About a year ago I did an `online shop`with Asda from here in Oz. (And no they dont deliver here before some smart so and so says something!!! lol). Asda was a hell of a lot cheaper. I did a `like for like` shop as much as I could.

Some things are cheaper but equally a lot are dearer. I have been here over 5 years and there is a massive increase in everything. Food, fuel, cost of living etc.

When we got here fuel was 78c per litre!!! Now $1.30

They said on the news last week that we are all set for less than a $1 a litre soon as there is going to be some sort of price war....lets hope its true :jiggy:

Archived