Back to the UK after 5 months.

Guest rayman1

Oh yes, I think most Brits might come to the same basic conclusion :wink:

You guys are naughty,everybody has different opinions & it all comes down to what our different experiences are.Definitely really poor choice of farmer's markets for us here in Sydney,the local one charges crazy prices,but Australia is much more diverse than the UK so it's wrong to say it's better or not or we're lazy as access to fresh food has been highlighted as a priority by the health authorities as there isn't much around.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Exactly, spot on.

You guys are naughty,everybody has different opinions & it all comes down to what our different experiences are.Definitely really poor choice of farmer's markets for us here in Sydney,the local one charges crazy prices,but Australia is much more diverse than the UK so it's wrong to say it's better or not or we're lazy as access to fresh food has been highlighted as a priority by the health authorities as there isn't much around.

I know we are, but could not help it, to tell you the truth, I really do not care very much about Farmers Markets one way or the other, but I just could not help reeling him in, it was so easy.:cute:

Guest chris955

The truth is the vast majority of people here and the UK have no interest in finding and shopping at Farmers Markets, the same vast majority shop at supermarkets, if that makes all those people lazy then so be it.

Lazy or lack of time? There's always something else to do, & that's not 'nice' things to do, it's just juggling life, & we all have different priorities. If I could find one down the road that was well priced, open when I needed it, sure I'd go, but the ones that wrip you off just because you thought you'd try something different, no, I'm not interested.

Well, you reeled me in!!! ;-)

Guest chris955

I personally don't think it has anything to do with being lazy, as you say it comes down to time and being able to find one nearby. If you are lucky enough to live near a GOOD one then good for you but most people aren't in that position.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

Know exactly how you feel!! Have been here less than you, since January 2012 and can't wait to book a ticket back to UK!! :biggrin:

Deb this is an old thread from 2010 - you might want to start your own in the moving back to UK section

You don't fancy packing me in your suitcase and taking me with you do you? We came to Sydney at the beginning of November, it was always my husbands dream to emigrate to Oz and I finally gave in and said yes. We're both in our 40s and have 2 children (10 and 8). The kids aren't that happy and I hate it, I'm struggling to find work and am very lonely and isolated. We had to sell our house back in the UK too, I feel very angry to think what we have given up for this. I'm desperate to go back but hubby wants us to stick it out for 2 years. I cry every day and dread waking up every morning, my kids are the only thing keeping me going. I don't think my husband can understand how ill this place is making me although I do try to tell him regularly! We've always been a good team and if we go our separate ways it would devastate our kids but I really don't think I can stick this out for another year and a half.

Good luck to you though, I wish you all the happiness in the world when you get back to the UK.

We are also in Perth, been here 6 months and we were shocked at the cost of living, when we looked into coming we thought it would be ok with the amount of dollars you earn but that's not the case. We are getting by but we thought it would be easier than this. Also this rain doesn't help when my OH works in the building trade :arghh:

We are also in Perth, been here 6 months and we were shocked at the cost of living, when we looked into coming we thought it would be ok with the amount of dollars you earn but that's not the case. We are getting by but we thought it would be easier than this. Also this rain doesn't help when my OH works in the building trade :arghh:

There's a first...Someone complaining about the rain in Perth...It's usually the heat. Oh well!!

You don't fancy packing me in your suitcase and taking me with you do you? We came to Sydney at the beginning of November, it was always my husbands dream to emigrate to Oz and I finally gave in and said yes. We're both in our 40s and have 2 children (10 and 8). The kids aren't that happy and I hate it, I'm struggling to find work and am very lonely and isolated. We had to sell our house back in the UK too, I feel very angry to think what we have given up for this. I'm desperate to go back but hubby wants us to stick it out for 2 years. I cry every day and dread waking up every morning, my kids are the only thing keeping me going. I don't think my husband can understand how ill this place is making me although I do try to tell him regularly! We've always been a good team and if we go our separate ways it would devastate our kids but I really don't think I can stick this out for another year and a half.

Good luck to you though, I wish you all the happiness in the world when you get back to the UK.

Hi Soozan. I can only suggest that you try your hardest to get a job. Easier said than done when you have kids of that age though. Alternatively don't sit around the house brooding and thinking how bad things are. Take the kids out, or go out on your own when your hubbies at work. Unfortunately no-one is going to come round to see if you are OK, you have to make things better yourself.

Soozan - it does sound like you may be suffering from depression. The depression seems to have a direct cause, (the stress of migration and being forced to live in a country you against your will). One solution would be to remove the stress. The other could be to seek some help. I'm not trained - so I'm only guessing - but it could help to get some help. Maybe start with your GP?

I can only second the suggestion of seeing your GP - you should be able to access a psychologist and get a mental health plan going - pick a psych who does CBT or ACT and hopefully they will equip you with tricks to get yourself through every day (it is possible!!!)

I dont know what the magic of the 2 years is - you wont be a citizen in 2 years so either you resign yourself to 4 years or you leave with nothing anyway. Splitting the family may be in the back of your mind but you might also want to check out the thread about what happens to your kids if you split up - a judge would never give you permission to take your kids out of the country if your husband says no, they cant go!

May I also suggest that as he isnt listening to your despair that perhaps marriage counselling is also another option - Relationships Australia are there for you. And if you really do feel down then please call Lifeline - its not just for people who are about to slit their wrists, it's to help people work out what they want out of life and how to go about working their way towards it 13 11 14

If you know that you have an end date it does get much easier, it's just the thought of perpetual entrapment that gets you down. Maybe your DH (or you) could start to make approaches to existing UK networks to see what is on offer - a lot of people have manged to get jobs from Aus so they can return to some sort of stability in UK.

Good luck, hope you can work out something which works for you.

I did try and say a while back to people about being excited to move over here. The cost of living is shocking and yes you do earn a lot more wages but if you didn't you would be literally on the streets because until you have been here for two years you are not entitled to income support if you dont have a job or you lose your job. The mortgage rates, well i try and forget about it because if i thought about it for too long i would be slitting my wrists. I used to be well off in the UK but i am not over here. We have been here for just over two years and have bought our own house but we live from day to day on our wages with no savings to our name. Its very scary actually especially when we havent had to worry about money. I am stressed to the hilt over it all and are taking tablets for stress, but dont get me wrong, i like it over here, i love the warm sunny weather which we get most of the time, i just wish we had the money to enjoy it more and do things in our spare time. There is nothing back in the UK for us, no job, no house, not many relations. We have friends but we keep in touch on Facebook and Skype. So yes, if you are still in the UK, please make sure you have plenty of money to bring over here because you will certainly need it. Its no good thinking we will manage, because you wont. No one will help you, all that they say is you need to find another way of supporting yourself if you have been here less than 2 years - what are you supposed to do - rob a bank!!!! They certainly dont give out hand outs like they do in the UK. :huh:

Hi Soozan. I can only suggest that you try your hardest to get a job. Easier said than done when you have kids of that age though. Alternatively don't sit around the house brooding and thinking how bad things are. Take the kids out, or go out on your own when your hubbies at work. Unfortunately no-one is going to come round to see if you are OK, you have to make things better yourself.

any chance of joining a gym, excercise helps more than you think, its difficult to get the initial motivation but it helps a lot believe me.

What we put our selves through hey!!! at least THIS SIGHT is great for of loading our feelings and knowing we arnt alone. people who havent felt like this dont understand just how hard and horible it is. The feeling of wakening every morning with your stomach in knots and wanting to scream. feeling like we are locked up in a prison and the feelings go on....... :hug: to all

haha i thot i was the only 1 who thot this joint was like an open prison LOL

You should be very happy for the majority of time then.

Yes most the time I am thank you. It surprises me how someone can pick up on a passing comment I made about the rain we are having at the moment. Some people are so sensitive.

^^ Agree ~ The thing is, when hubby misses any work, it makes it a tough week money wise, cant afford to take time off here!

Guest bON72

Hi, I understand how you are feeling, as do lots of others who have replied to you. Unless you feel what we are feeling, people dont understand. I still get emails and facebook messages where people seem to think we are living in a paradise of sun and sand and going to the beach everyday. Where I am is in suburbia and could be any new housing estate in the UK, an hour from the beach. Anyway, after antianxiety medication and lots of talks with my husband I am going home in December. Still got to pay back the $12k that the company paid to relocate us here in the UK and also find the money to get us and our belongings back home. That is the hard part and also my hubby is scared he is going to come back with his tail between his legs as it was his dream to come out here. I wish you the best of luck and I believe you must do what your heart tells you to do. Im just a yorkshire lass at heart and I miss home and family as if I a grieving for them. It would be nice to wake up without that feeling in the pit of my stomach too.

Big hugs, you are not alone x

^^ Agree ~ The thing is, when hubby misses any work, it makes it a tough week money wise, cant afford to take time off here!

Glad someone else understands what I was trying to say. Are you in Perth too? What does your OH do? We are not far from Rockingham and my husband is in the building trade so most the time the weather has been great but this week not so much, one or two rain days and it messes the whole week up. How long have you been here? We came in November and find Perth a bit quiet in some ways and very different to what we were expecting but I suppose it's about adjusting to a new country.

Hi Soozan

Have just joined this site and tried to send you a pm but it won't let me yet - perhaps after I have made this post it might let me!!

Hope you are having a better day today, identify with you completely and will try and get in touch with you

Love L

Archived