Back to the UK after 5 months.

Guest rayman1

That WANTED DOWN UNDER show has got alot to answer for!!!!! haha

Update the bloody show to 2010 and show how expensive it is here now!!

My friends have just returned for a holiday after living here a few years ago and he said he could never come back now and he loved it, as it's gone so expensive!

As Rayman says be warned you need plenty of money to set up new home here xx

Do you reckon Wanted Down Under is funded by the Australian Touism people!!! :jiggy:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr Happy

We found the U.K far more expensive than Australia, but then we don't follow the British obsession with supermarkets. Give them a big miss and consumables are so much cheaper, but I know i'm preaching to deaf ears. Don't understand why though?:confused:

Guest funkymonkey
Funky monkey my heart goes out to you. So often when you're in a hard situation & you don't want to talk to you partner again about it, it's hard to find someone just to talk it out with. I'm sure you are making the right decision, it's just that once you've made the decision you worry you've made the wrong decision, epsecially when you've got kids & you're worrying about their future. The hardest part about settling back in will be getting the jobs & it sounds like you're both on you're way there. Just take it one step at a time, rather than thinking about the huge big picture, you'll get there. Do you know whereabouts in the UK you're planning on going back to?

Spot on!! Hoping to move to East Anglia/Cambridgeshire areas, hubbie works in agriculture so quite good for him and about an hourish from my family. We want to move to a different area from where we lived before so we'll be up for going where the work is and a good area with good schools etc...

We want to go with an open, flexible attitude, a bit like the advice given to those on their way here!

Thanks for your kind words.

Spot on!! Hoping to move to East Anglia/Cambridgeshire areas, hubbie works in agriculture so quite good for him and about an hourish from my family. We want to move to a different area from where we lived before so we'll be up for going where the work is and a good area with good schools etc...

We want to go with an open, flexible attitude, a bit like the advice given to those on their way here!

Thanks for your kind words.

Hey, that's my neck of the woods! Hope you love it! Very flat of course so if you dont mind being hill-less there are some nice places in Cambridgeshire and over the border into Suffolk.

As for things being more expensive in UK - not last month they werent. Fuel, sure it is more costly but you tend to do fewer miles so it all evens out. Parking is more expensive there for sure but there is nothing here like the park and ride scheme and in general public transport is far better. Food, much cheaper even eating out was quite a bit cheaper. Motels - you can get some really good deals in UK, far cheaper than anything you can get here with a bit of planning. Second hand motors - almost given away in UK in comparison with here. Rego and insurance on a par (compared with my dad). Clothes - the ones I was checking out were cheaper for equivalent quality. Shoes - had to buy some, marginally cheaper UK. Probably swings and roundabouts but I know my supermarket bill was significantly less than I would have been paying for the same stuff here. Oh yes, Lottery tickets more expensive! How could I forget that?!:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

It seems VERY clear from almost everyone posting that the UK is no longer an expensive place when compared to here, not just because of the exchange rate but things have genuinely become cheaper.

My brother was in the UK last month, he goes every year or so, this is a section from an email to me

"Most things seem very reasonable, eating out in a pub for example-so much more enjoyable than here at any price-is very reasonable in comparison. As for supermarkets, they make Aussie ones look very shabby and understocked by comparison. One thing Aussies deceive themselves about is the variety of better fresher produce and other food, not so. "

We found the U.K far more expensive than Australia, but then we don't follow the British obsession with supermarkets. Give them a big miss and consumables are so much cheaper, but I know i'm preaching to deaf ears. Don't understand why though?:confused:

Don't you?

Guest Mr Happy

We have much better, fresher produce than anything seen in the U.K, but then we have the countries best farmers market, not to mention 4 1/2 times the retail space per head of population of anywhere else in the country. It obviously isn't sustainable, but makes for shopping nirvana while it continues. We still think most poms are lazy and never look outside supermarkets, their loss.

We have much better, fresher produce than anything seen in the U.K, but then we have the countries best farmers market, not to mention 4 1/2 times the retail space per head of population of anywhere else in the country. It obviously isn't sustainable, but makes for shopping nirvana while it continues. We still think most poms are lazy and never look outside supermarkets, their loss.

Would love to have most poms opinion of you, would make for interesting reading.

Guest chris955

Sorry to disappoint you but I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that most Aussies actually shop in supermarkets :elvis:Those who live near farmers markets probably use them in the same way that they would in the UK. I certainly don't know anyone here that uses a farmers market because we don't have them near us, maybe they are all just lazy ?

It's interesting that you have sampled all fresh food in the UK, was that your job before you came here ?

Guest chris955

Oh yes, I think most Brits might come to the same basic conclusion :wink:

Would love to have most poms opinion of you, would make for interesting reading.

Guest Mr Happy

We don't give a toss what lazy poms think. As a member on many ex pat forums other than this the thing that always comes through is how brits are wedded to supermarkets even though the best market in the world might be 50 metres away. Again why is that?:wideeyed:

We don't give a toss what lazy poms think. As a member on many ex pat forums other than this the thing that always comes through is how brits are wedded to supermarkets even though the best market in the world might be 50 metres away. Again why is that?:wideeyed:

If yiou don't give a toss, why ask the question.

Guest chris955

What's this obsession with board mother, it must be the 10th time I have seen you write it. I'm here because I'm planning on going back to the UK, why are you here ?

Guest guest36187

The UK is a hell of a lot cheaper. My OH has come back from a 3 week trip there and brought back stuff that costs a hell of a lot more here.

What's this obsession with board mother, it must be the 10th time I have seen you write it. I'm here because I'm planning on going back to the UK, why are you here ?

He is here because it's dark and he can't find his way around the farmers market.:wink:

Guest chris955

This candle wont last much longer and I haven't found any bananas yet.

He is here because it's dark and he can't find his way around the farmers market.:wink:

Guest guest36187
1. Bring alot of money. Brisbane is soo expensive and house/rental is going through the roof.

2. Come when you are young and so are your kids.

3. If you are happy with life where you are, stick to it. Don't try and mend something that is not broken.

Three good points from the OP to remember when moving here. Everyone finds things different, when we moved here 5 years ago things were VERY different to today!

Guest chris955

Don't be silly, it's a figment of an over active imagination. :biggrin:

The UK is a hell of a lot cheaper. My OH has come back from a 3 week trip there and brought back stuff that costs a hell of a lot more here.

Guest chris955

We have noticed things have changed enormously in the last 5 years and especially in the 10 years we have been in Queensland. We used to fill a shopping trolley for $100 now you can comfortably carry a $100's worth.

Three good points from the OP to remember when moving here. Everyone finds things different, when we moved here 5 years ago things were VERY different to today!

Guest Mr Happy

Ahh the lazy poms all come out of the woodwork when anything anti supermarket is mentioned. Thank g0d we don't suffer from this affliction.

Guest guest36187
Ahh the lazy poms all come out of the woodwork when anything anti supermarket is mentioned. Thank g0d we don't suffer from this affliction.

Lazy pom?

Archived