Guest guest36187

15 hours ago, Radagast said:

3) I understand that if 1 parent is granted a 143, that parent can then sponsor the other parent 5 years after the 143 is granted? I do not wish to assume incorrectly but I imagine that for most parent visa applicants, after the grant they will be splitting their time between Australia and their country or origin (rather than living in Australia full-time). In those circumstances, I am surprised not to see more people applying for a single 143, having the other parent visit on a visitors visa while the first parent spends part of each of the first 5 years in Australia,

If a parent wishes to have a long stay of, say, three months every year, then that is easily achieved using tourist visas, so most people don't even think about the 143 visa until they're ready for a permanent move (which is why it's such a shock when they discover the actual waiting time).

The flaw in your theory, above, is that the first parent can be granted a 143, and then sponsor the second parent's application.  But the second parent's application will not be granted instantly - they will have to wait in the same queue as everyone else.

16 hours ago, Radagast said:

4) I understand the timeframe from submission of application to visa grant is now well over 5 years for a 143, possibly 7? Is this accurate, and is there any way it could improve? This is absolutely incredible where such large sums of money are being required supposedly for a fast processing time.

The money is not for a fast processing time.  The money is to make a small contribution towards the high medical and social security costs incurred by aged parents.  The government intended to discontinue the non-contributory visas altogether, so it was never intended to be a choice of "pay this and get processed faster" it was  meant to be the only option.  The legislation has not gone through though.

I appreciate that it's hard for mixed marriages.   However, immigrants who actually NEED to bring aged parents to Australia are only a small percentage of the migrant pool.   Many migrants, (especially historically when families were bigger) have brothers and sisters still in the home country to provide care.  Mnny migrants have already lost parents, or have a distant relationship (sometime the very reason they left!).   And some voluntarily return to their homeland to care for their parent, rather than uproot an elderly person from their treasured home and friends.

So yes, if parents are not welcome, then Australia risks losing that small percentage of migrants - but let's not forget, for every migrant who  goes home, there are hundreds more applying for visas every day.    It's not as if Australia is desperate for new migrants and can't get enough.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The flaw in your theory, above, is that the first parent can be granted a 143, and then sponsor the second parent's application.  But the second parent's application will not be granted instantly - they will have to wait in the same queue as everyone else.

They don’t apply for another 143 - they apply for a partner visa which  is a lot quicker than 143- 

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

To say it’s better to apply for 864 may not be true. Sure they would get a bridging visa to stay in Australia but they would also spend the rest of their lives on that bridging visa as the 864 has a 30 year wait.  There are many disadvantages being on a bridging visa and they need careful consideration before they can decide it’s a better option.  I’d say you need a vast amount of money for it to be a better option.  No access to any state benefits etc so if you ever need aged care and none of us know we won’t then you’ll have to pay for it yourself.  Just one of many examples of the pitfalls of a bridging visa. 

Hi all,

Is anyone aware if parents become ineligible for 143 if they become over 67(pension age) by the time of visa application outcome comes?

Main applicant in my case might be over 67 by the time our visa gets processed?

Any help would be welcome.

1 minute ago, chintu said:

Hi all,

Is anyone aware if parents become ineligible for 143 if they become over 67(pension age) by the time of visa application outcome comes?

Main applicant in my case might be over 67 by the time our visa gets processed?

Any help would be welcome.

The age of a subclass 143 visa applicant is no consequence to the granting of such a visa.

It is only the onshore parent visa applications under subclass 804 or 864 that have an age requirement.

Best regards.

4 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

The age of a subclass 143 visa applicant is no consequence to the granting of such a visa.

It is only the onshore parent visa applications under subclass 804 or 864 that have an age requirement.

Best regards.

That is some good news for me. Thanks Alan, really appreciate your feedback.

On 06/06/2021 at 21:09, Tulip1 said:

To say it’s better to apply for 864 may not be true. Sure they would get a bridging visa to stay in Australia but they would also spend the rest of their lives on that bridging visa as the 864 has a 30 year wait.  There are many disadvantages being on a bridging visa and they need careful consideration before they can decide it’s a better option.  I’d say you need a vast amount of money for it to be a better option.  No access to any state benefits etc so if you ever need aged care and none of us know we won’t then you’ll have to pay for it yourself.  Just one of many examples of the pitfalls of a bridging visa. 

Seriously? Where do you get that from? 30 years? Oh come on, that's not the case for contributory visas. Atm, over 10 years I would say.

Hi guys 

I am new to forum, I am applying 143 visa for my mum and dad..

Thanks in advance if I get my questions answered 

1. My parents are onshore on bridging visa as we have applied for Visa 600 extension.. is it okay to apply 143 Visa?

2. Me and my sister is PR in Australia, I am sponsoring them.. Does anyone have to fill Form 47A? 

3. If Some documents are left, will department will ask for the documents that are missed?

4. How to calculate Internet Visa Charge?

Appreciate your replies

Thanks

Taken from The Guardian this morning ! 

Zali Steggall has the independents’ question today and its to the home affairs minister Karen Andrews:

“Will you commit to broadening the definition of immediate family for travel exemptions to include parents and also prospective marriage visa holders? As if this definition remains unchanged and the government does not provide a clear roadmap, we do face the risk of a skills drain. I presented a petition to the House today and some of the signatories are in the House and they’re awaiting your response.”

Andrews:

I take on board the very serious issue that she has raised. And there are a couple of parts to it. The first part clearly deals with the definition and whether or not that should be broadened and allow me to come back to that in my answer now. The second deals with skills shortages here in Australia. 

And can I say that this government takes very seriously both of those issues. Now, in relation to the skills shortages issue, I do understand that the minister responsible is looking very closely at what we can do to address the significant skills shortage in a number of areas here in Australia. 

And I am very much prepared to work with the minister to make sure that we can do all that we can to ensure that Australia has the skilled workforce that it needs, not only now, but for the months and the years ahead. In terms of the question that you asked in relation to broadening the scope and the definition – all I’m able to say at this point in time is that there are a number of investigations that are taking place at this point in time. I would be more than happy to meet with you directly to pursue this further. Thank you very much for your question.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I am going to apply a visa 143 for my parents who are holding visa 173. Can anyone share your experience whether I should send again all documents to support my sponsorship if I am still the sponsor for their visa (173 and now 143)?

And if anyone was requested a health exam again for this visa after taking health exam for visa 173 ? 

Many thanks,

Kind regards 

Edited by Lucy Adelaide

On 12/06/2021 at 00:53, RahiV said:

Hi guys 

I am new to forum, I am applying 143 visa for my mum and dad..

Thanks in advance if I get my questions answered 

1. My parents are onshore on bridging visa as we have applied for Visa 600 extension.. is it okay to apply 143 Visa?

2. Me and my sister is PR in Australia, I am sponsoring them.. Does anyone have to fill Form 47A? 

3. If Some documents are left, will department will ask for the documents that are missed?

4. How to calculate Internet Visa Charge?

Appreciate your replies

Thanks

Please reply

On 21/06/2021 at 21:22, RahiV said:

Please reply

I think you have to be offshore to apply for 143 but I might be wrong.  I can't answer your other questions except to say it is a written application and not an internet visa.  Anyone on here will probably tell you if you have several questions then you should use an agent to get the correct advice

1 hour ago, BargeUK said:

I think you have to be offshore to apply for 143 but I might be wrong.  I can't answer your other questions except to say it is a written application and not an internet visa.  Anyone on here will probably tell you if you have several questions then you should use an agent to get the correct advice

Yes you have to be offshore to apply for 143 if you aren’t on a 173.  All conditions and many answers are here https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143#About

@Rosiejaq Actually you can apply onshore!! You would have to be offshore for grant though - in normal times. During the border closure if your 143 is ready for grant and you’re onshore a special Covid concession from 24 March 2021 allowed you to remain on shore. 

the website actually says 

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa.

If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. If you apply outside Australia, any family members who apply for the visa with you must also be outside Australia when you apply.

Edited by LindaH27

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

@Rosiejaq Actually you can apply onshore!! You would have to be offshore for grant though - in normal times. During the border closure if your 143 is ready for grant and you’re onshore a special Covid concession from 24 March 2021 allowed you to remain on shore. 

Sorry LindaH27 didn’t realise that!

I have two questions for those who completed the application forms themselves:

1) Form 47A (Details of Dependent Family Member) says: 'This form must be completed for each member of the family unit aged 18 years or over whether migrating or not'. My wife (who is an Australian citizen and only child) is sponsoring her two parents for 143 visas, her mother being the main applicant. Clearly my wife's father will need to fill out a Form 47A. My question is that the notation seems to imply that my wife (the sponsor) and my wife's mother (the main applicant) should also technically fill out Form 47A's as they are 'members of the family unit aged 18 years or over'. Does anyone know whether the main applicant also has to fill out a Form 47A as well as the main 47PA form? Does anyone know if the sponsor has to fill out a Form 47A as well as the main form 40 sponsor form? Or are they exempt because they have their 'own' forms that they have completed.

2) A bit more certain about this - if my mother in law is the main applicant and father in law is the secondary applicant, does father in law need to fill out a separate Form 47PA? I gather not, just a 47A.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

23 hours ago, Radagast said:

I have two questions for those who completed the application forms themselves:

1) Form 47A (Details of Dependent Family Member) says: 'This form must be completed for each member of the family unit aged 18 years or over whether migrating or not'. My wife (who is an Australian citizen and only child) is sponsoring her two parents for 143 visas, her mother being the main applicant. Clearly my wife's father will need to fill out a Form 47A. My question is that the notation seems to imply that my wife (the sponsor) and my wife's mother (the main applicant) should also technically fill out Form 47A's as they are 'members of the family unit aged 18 years or over'. Does anyone know whether the main applicant also has to fill out a Form 47A as well as the main 47PA form? Does anyone know if the sponsor has to fill out a Form 47A as well as the main form 40 sponsor form? Or are they exempt because they have their 'own' forms that they have completed.

2) A bit more certain about this - if my mother in law is the main applicant and father in law is the secondary applicant, does father in law need to fill out a separate Form 47PA? I gather not, just a 47A.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Hi,  The definition of Member of the Family Unit is limited to partners and dependent children.  Your wife is not dependent on the main applicant, so she wouldn’t be included.  It’s a few years since I completed the application but I remember only filling in one form - me being primary applicant and my husband the secondary applicant. My son completed the sponsorship form.

Hope that helps. 

On 30/06/2021 at 01:56, Anks said:

Last day of this financial year, hoping to see movement for the visa approvals and additional documents from tomorrow onwards. Fingers crossed!

Yes there will be movement as some have paid 2nd Vac and been told no more for this year 20/21  but ready to go from today for 21/22. 

Given the low quota of 3600 I would hazard a guess that cap will be reached very quickly - within a few months then a long wait till next year- unless the current senate enquiry manages to persuade the govt to increase it. I doubt the results of the enquiry have legal standing and  will just be recommendations - exactly like the Review in 2016. I do think there may be a strong possibility they may get rid of 804 given the increasing cost to the Australian taxpayer and  the length of wait time. They tried to get rid of it in 2014 and it was also a recommendation in the 2016 review. 

New Zealand faced a big increase in parent visa applications  a few years ago and they put a halt on new applications for a few years. It’s started again but slowly I believe. 

• Like 1