Guest guest36187

17 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I did try that group a while ago but left as it was too “noisy” and upsetting and previous petitions ( which I and my daughter in Australia signed)  got nowhere. The budget today shows them having to spend a lot of extra money on aged care and a doubling of the two year period to four years for some migrants and families  before they have  access to any government benefits - not 143 though as that’s already 10 years!.

Its unlikely therefore that by  making migrants  wait longer for benefits and having to spend more money on an ageing population means that the government would look favourably on allowing more old people in. They made mention of being more along the lines of attracting global talent. A mention was also made that the borders would likely remain closed till at least 2022. No mention of any caps for this year either as far as I can see  It’s also possible that they would only let parents in from low Covid/ nearly fully vaccinated countries as they have done with New Zealand, so that would also impact on whether parents could get in. They’re looking at it being mid 2022 before they repatriate most stranded Australians as well.  

There is also a senate enquiry into all parent visas going on which will report in August -  it’s fair to say they will wait to see what that says  

Only my interpretation!  Hopefully there may be a more definitive explanation of the budget by others on the forum? . .    

I do really wish you all well as I’m obviously in the same situation but the wait has  made me more realistic and pessimistic about the chances of getting to Australia any time soon. The majority of Australians do not want the borders open as they are living a relatively normal life unlike the rest of the world. 

Yes, the emotions are always running high on that group but I'm hopeful. Elections are around the corner and the government better listen up. 1/3rd of Australians are born overseas and all we need is to have more Aussies join the cause. 2022 is too far off and I trust a lot of us will have lost patience by this year-end 😞

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arti said:

Yes, the emotions are always running high on that group but I'm hopeful. Elections are around the corner and the government better listen up. 1/3rd of Australians are born overseas and all we need is to have more Aussies join the cause. 2022 is too far off and I trust a lot of us will have lost patience by this year-end 😞

I really do understand but a third of Australians born  overseas wanting their parents here will not win against two thirds of Australians who don’t want the borders open. They’ve seen the devastation around the world and want no part in it. The govt see that as backing their policies of reducing migration. I believe the election isn’t till next year? The general consensus in the Australia media that I’ve read is that the budget is aimed at winning the election

• Like 2

Question for those who have received a "queue date" (I'm guessing that their paperwork is acceptable to the dept), or those who applied for 143 and got to next steps successfully-

Did you guys submit Form 80 and Form 1221 (both related to Personal particulars for character assessment) along with the other application forms ? I'm just wondering if I should send these extra forms as well - just in case.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated!  Thank you! 

Edited by Sherlock

31 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I really do understand but a third of Australians born  overseas wanting their parents here will not win against two thirds of Australians who don’t want the borders open. They’ve seen the devastation around the world and want no part in it. The govt see that as backing their policies of reducing migration. I believe the election isn’t till next year? The general consensus in the Australia media that I’ve read is that the budget is aimed at winning the election

The odds are against us. But when it's about elections 1/3rd can make for a considerable force. The government started the border shut down as a temporary measure to get everything else up to speed example the quarantine system, healthcare facilities, etc to prepare for covid - but we haven't seen much progress on that front in the last year or so. The virus is here to stay. The borders cannot remain shut forever. They keep extending the timelines - all we are asking for is a roadmap. A plan as to when can people simply start going in and out to visit their families. The whole policy is entirely lacking any empathy or compassion. Also, a lot of the parents are fully vaccinated! Surely we can ask for the government to start letting them in.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Question for those who have received a "queue date" (I'm guessing that their paperwork is acceptable to the dept), or those who applied for 143 and got to next steps successfully-

Did you guys submit Form 80 and Form 1221 (both related to Personal particulars for character assessment) along with the other application forms ? I'm just wondering if I should send these extra forms as well - just in case.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated!  Thank you! 

There’s no point. Form  80 is for the 10 years before they are actually processing it - given that it’s going to take many years it’s not worth doing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Arti said:

The odds are against us. But when it's about elections 1/3rd can make for a considerable force. The government started the border shut down as a temporary measure to get everything else up to speed example the quarantine system, healthcare facilities, etc to prepare for covid - but we haven't seen much progress on that front in the last year or so. The virus is here to stay. The borders cannot remain shut forever. They keep extending the timelines - all we are asking for is a roadmap. A plan as to when can people simply start going in and out to visit their families. The whole policy is entirely lacking any empathy or compassion. Also, a lot of the parents are fully vaccinated! Surely we can ask for the government to start letting them in.

I agree. While the outlook is bad and nothing seems to be happening in our (103/143 and other visa applicants and families) favour, we have to keep making noise, and keep doing something or the other to get some attention. 

Yes the odds are against all of us for sure, but we can only keep trying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

There’s no point. Form  80 is for the 10 years before they are actually processing it - given that it’s going to take many years it’s not worth doing. 

Thanks @LindaH27. I just want to make sure my application does not geyt pushed back further just because Form 80 and 1221 are missing... all I want is a queue date now..  such small victories...

1 minute ago, Arti said:

There  is a road map in their view. They are telling us that migration won’t really start till mid 2022 and that it’s still low caps. 
Im in the same situation. It will be 4 years next month in the queue and no nearer my goal for another few years. 
They won’t allow just visitors - there have been cases of PR and citizens testing negative before flying but testing positive after arrival so they won’t allow visitors in yet. That doesn’t affects just parents but all visitors tourists etc. 
I get where you’re coming from, I really do I want to get there too but I have to accept the realities. In their eyes they are keeping their citizens safe. UK should perhaps have also closed its borders last year - they didn’t so they had devastating numbers of deaths. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

There  is a road map in their view. They are telling us that migration won’t really start till mid 2022 and that it’s still low caps. 
Im in the same situation. It will be 4 years next month in the queue and no nearer my goal for another few years. 
They won’t allow just visitors - there have been cases of PR and citizens testing negative before flying but testing positive after arrival so they won’t allow visitors in yet. That doesn’t affects just parents but all visitors tourists etc. 
I get where you’re coming from, I really do I want to get there too but I have to accept the realities. In their eyes they are keeping their citizens safe. UK should perhaps have also closed its borders last year - they didn’t so they had devastating numbers of deaths. 

But they aren't allowing citizens to leave either! I don't know of any democracy that's ever done that. There are some heart-wrenching stories out there of people who have been time and again refused exemptions to go meet their sick family members. It's completely unconstitutional in my opinion and I'm surprised at the apathy. It's high time they relax some of these rules really if not for inbound at least the outbound movements.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Arti said:

But they aren't allowing citizens to leave either! I don't know of any democracy that's ever done that. There are some heart-wrenching stories out there of people who have been time and again refused exemptions to go meet their sick family members. It's completely unconstitutional in my opinion and I'm surprised at the apathy. It's high time they relax some of these rules really if not for inbound at least the outbound movements.

Some are getting out. Have a look at Facebook group Australian Travel  and Exemption support. 

16 hours ago, Arti said:

. 1/3rd of Australians are born overseas.....

That's true, but consider that some of those arrived with their parents.  Some will be old themselves already and past the point of bringing parents out.  Some will have already lost their parents.  Then, many will have brothers and sisters still in their home country, so their parents have no desire to move.  And then there are the ones who came to Australia to escape difficult parents (it does happen - we've seen examples on these forums).  My oh and I are good examples. He was born overseas and arrived with his parents as a refugee.  I was born overseas and migrated as an adult, but my parents would never have considered moving because I have 3 siblings still in the UK.  

Add all those together, and I wonder how many of that 1/3rd have any interest in parent visas?  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's true, but consider that some of those arrived with their parents.  Some will be old themselves already and past the point of bringing parents out.  Some will have already lost their parents.  Then, many will have brothers and sisters still in their home country, so their parents have no desire to move.  And then there are the ones who came to Australia to escape difficult parents (it does happen - we've seen examples on these forums).  My oh and I are good examples. He was born overseas and arrived with his parents as a refugee.  I was born overseas and migrated as an adult, but my parents would never have considered moving because I have 3 siblings still in the UK.  

Add all those together, and I wonder how many of that 1/3rd have any interest in parent visas?  

No, this is completely different. This is re the restrictions for visitor parents who have no intention to move but definitely would want to meet their children once in a year?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arti said:

No, this is completely different. This is re the restrictions for visitor parents who have no intention to move but definitely would want to meet their children once in a year?

Considering the idea of an annual visit would be an unimaginable luxury for many migrants, I’d have thought it’s something of a middle class first world problem 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Arti said:

Also, a lot of the parents are fully vaccinated! Surely we can ask for the government to start letting them in.

There are still tens of thousands of Australian citizens waiting to return.  There is no way the government will allow visiting parents - vaccinated or not - into the country before that backlog is cleared.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skani said:

There are still tens of thousands of Australian citizens waiting to return.  There is no way the government will allow visiting parents - vaccinated or not - into the country before that backlog is cleared.

Repatriation for some will not happen till mid 2022 given the caps on returning Australians, the scarcity of quarantine places  and the costs of flights. It’s likely some will have to use commercial flights in the end. As you say, their own residents will have priority over visitors  

They will still allow people who have been recently granted to enter,  but for the next budget year it seems they will concentrate on prioritising applicants who are already onshore so they don’t affect the quarantine places available. 

Im really not sure how immi  will reconcile that with the statement on their website that applications will be dealt with in strict date order?? 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 22:45, LindaH27 said:

Yes as I thought! . All we need to know now is whether the 2021-22 programs - which are quoted as being the same as this year (up to  end June 2021) - will revert to the previous cap of 4500 or stay with the recently introduced further cap to 3600!! 

From what I read here (https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/number-of-parent-visas-capped-for-year-to-30-june-2021/) the cap was not reduced to 3600 from 4500.  4500 was announced as the total parent visa number, it was just divided into two parts: 900 for non-contributory visas (103/804) and 3600 for contributory visas (143/173/864/870).  I guess it will be the same for 2021-22.

• Like 4

Whether we will see a positive outcome or not, it's important to try to do something about it. The petition has almost 51000 signatures as at 15th May 2021 10AM, and we still have 4 days more. I sincerely request you all to consider signing the petition, and convince your friends to do the same. 

Petition EN2535 - Exemption for parents of Australians and Permanent Residents

Link - https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN2535

• Like 2

On 15/05/2021 at 08:42, Sherlock said:

Whether we will see a positive outcome or not, it's important to try to do something about it. The petition has almost 51000 signatures as at 15th May 2021 10AM, and we still have 4 days more. I sincerely request you all to consider signing the petition, and convince your friends to do the same. 

Petition EN2535 - Exemption for parents of Australians and Permanent Residents

Link - https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN2535

100% agree! An additional 5,000 signatures have been added over the weekend. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roger Vanstone said:

My husband and myself have both filled this in but have not got the email back that  it says should come before our signatures are accepted.

Have you checked your spam/junk folder? That's where I found mine!!

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid-19-visa-concessions

Shows this for 870 - assume it means for people who were actually granted  their 870 but couldn’t actually enter Australia? 

Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa

As part of the 2021-22 Federal Budget, the Government announced that it will extend the visa validity period by 18 months for certain Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa (SPTV) holders who are outside Australia. This measure intends to assist SPTV holders who could not travel to spend the full three or five years on their visa in Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. This measure is intended to come into effect in July 2021.

On 09/05/2021 at 14:50, Singh1993 said:

Anyone in chat who applied 143 in may 2016 and waiting for final decision .plz tell me

i applied in june 2016, do you have news information from Gorvement? :(((

Sorry for my english is not good 😞

2 minutes ago, Singh1993 said:

My acknowledge in may 2016

further info  medicle aos etc March 2020 

In April immigration ask resubmitted pcc (old is expired. I think one year validity)

Now still waiting 

Might be that there’s no more visas left available this financial year and may  have to wait till 1st July for next years quota