Guest guest36187

On 28/05/2017 at 12:26, Kathss56 said:

Strange I was told white goods cheaper there! Also,you have to add cost of shipping and as you say tax. You need to be able to change the plugs also,some have a mounded plug attached. 

Also dont  forget that you also have no valid guarantee once you move those goods to Australia.  I did some research when I was last in Oz and found that, as in the UK, you can often find reasonably priced white goods if you shop around.  My daughter picked up a dishwasher at Aldi! Worth doing a google.au search in advance.  I tried this when looking for a fridge freezer ready for my apartment that I will be having there and I found a lot of reasonable options. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AMP said:

Also dont  forget that you also have no valid guarantee once you move those goods to Australia.  I did some research when I was last in Oz and found that, as in the UK, you can often find reasonably priced white goods if you shop around.  My daughter picked up a dishwasher at Aldi! Worth doing a google.au search in advance.  I tried this when looking for a fridge freezer ready for my apartment that I will be having there and I found a lot of reasonable options. 

Exactly! No guarantee and a good shake of a fridge or a washer could damage them. On gumtree my daughter has had goods that are practically new. Like here you can buy a property where all the goods are included anyway. How do you know that space between the units is the right size for your imported fridge.  Gumtree is far more popular over there some real bargains to be had. 

A friend sold her spare bedroom furniture which had been used about twice because she moved into a house with fitted wardrobes etc so another friend of mine then bought it at bargain price. 

I am only taking personal possessions, clothes,favourite pictures,ornaments,bedding,towels, some kitchen stuff etc. I have done research, looked at prices on visits and of course will wait for the sales. I very rarely buy here at full price ?

To leave  big items over here/there in storage for months to me is a false economy,it's not cheap, and at monthly rate times for however long storage?

I am torn between my own home or granny annexe so, until I'm there, I won't know what I need. 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Exactly! No guarantee and a good shake of a fridge or a washer could damage them. On gumtree my daughter has had goods that are practically new. Like here you can buy a property where all the goods are included anyway. How do you know that space between the units is the right size for your imported fridge.  Gumtree is far more popular over there some real bargains to be had. 

A friend sold her spare bedroom furniture which had been used about twice because she moved into a house with fitted wardrobes etc so another friend of mine then bought it at bargain price. 

I am only taking personal possessions, clothes,favourite pictures,ornaments,bedding,towels, some kitchen stuff etc. I have done research, looked at prices on visits and of course will wait for the sales. I very rarely buy here at full price ?

To leave  big items over here/there in storage for months to me is a false economy,it's not cheap, and at monthly rate times for however long storage?

I am torn between my own home or granny annexe so, until I'm there, I won't know what I need. 

Completely agree.  No point taking my large fridge/freezer, which wouldn't have been big enough to do the job in a hot climate where so much needs to go into the fridge.  Anyway, it went on ebay last summer and I've been making do with my smaller one, which I'll leave behind for my house buyers.  I'm taking very little with me and reckon to save thousands on shipping costs.  Added to that saving is the stuff I've sold already.  My total of ebay and private sales plus the stuff currently on sale or still to be sold, comes to about £5,000.  I've  also had my daughter in Aus pricing up a lot of the stuff I will need and I'm confident I can get it all at really good prices. But each to their own, people are sometimes attached to particular belongings, whereas furniture etc diesn't generally have any pull for me and I'm looking forward to a completely fresh start.  If I can fit it all into a Movecube, I will take a small but rather nice sideboard and two matching lamp tables, bedding, towels, pots and pans etc, printer and coffee maker, clothes, photographs.  That's it, and anything that won't fit will stay behind.  

I'm opting for the granny annexe, as my daughter's plot has plenty of room for an annexe and it's a short walk from shops, restaurants etc, and 5 minutes drive from the beach.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Completely agree.  No point taking my large fridge/freezer, which wouldn't have been big enough to do the job in a hot climate where so much needs to go into the fridge.  Anyway, it went on ebay last summer and I've been making do with my smaller one, which I'll leave behind for my house buyers.  I'm taking very little with me and reckon to save thousands on shipping costs.  Added to that saving is the stuff I've sold already.  My total of ebay and private sales plus the stuff currently on sale or still to be sold, comes to about £5,000.  I've  also had my daughter in Aus pricing up a lot of the stuff I will need and I'm confident I can get it all at really good prices. But each to their own, people are sometimes attached to particular belongings, whereas furniture etc diesn't generally have any pull for me and I'm looking forward to a completely fresh start.  If I can fit it all into a Movecube, I will take a small but rather nice sideboard and two matching lamp tables, bedding, towels, pots and pans etc, printer and coffee maker, clothes, photographs.  That's it, and anything that won't fit will stay behind.  

I'm opting for the granny annexe, as my daughter's plot has plenty of room for an annexe and it's a short walk from shops, restaurants etc, and 5 minutes drive from the beach.  

Sounds perfect!! I think it is the silly little stuff that helps feel comfy like my years old sewing box, jewellery box, quirky items!

Have you had a quite for a movecube? 

Unfortunately my daughter has recently moved away from the beach! ?So instead of a 3min walk it's a 20min drive now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Sounds perfect!! I think it is the silly little stuff that helps feel comfy like my years old sewing box, jewellery box, quirky items!

Have you had a quite for a movecube? 

Unfortunately my daughter has recently moved away from the beach! ?So instead of a 3min walk it's a 20min drive now. 

I got a quote for a medium movecube but I think it would be too big, so I'm looking at a small one now.  I'll get a quote for that today.  But PSS do tea chest sized boxes, and if I don't take the sideboard etc, it might be cheaper to go with PSS. I'm still weighing it all up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlady2014 said:

I took my nearly new HP printer 8 years ago they make the same model here but the print cartridges are not compatible.. you might like to check it out HP said sometimes a new code would work, but it would not. A new printer is under $100 so not worth the bother.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sooty said:

I took my nearly new HP printer 8 years ago they make the same model here but the print cartridges are not compatible.. you might like to check it out HP said sometimes a new code would work, but it would not. A new printer is under $100 so not worth the bother.  

Thanks for that, i'll check.  The only reason I want to take it is because I researched carefully before I bought it and I'm so used to it that it's quick and  easy to do what I need to.  But like you say, they're cheap enough to replace.  More ebaying on the cards, haha.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

I like your style Catlady.

We have been fluctuating between taking everything and taking next to nothing. I can see the wisdom for each, but I do like your idea of "a completely fresh start".

I like the modern open-plan design of Australian new build homes, so I am not really sure if we will end up replacing everything anyway.

Also, your £5000 plus the savings on shipping will give you a great excuse to go shopping!

Best wishes for you move

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

We have been fluctuating between taking everything and taking next to nothing. I can see the wisdom for each, but I do like your idea of "a completely fresh start".

I like the modern open-plan design of Australian new build homes, so I am not really sure if we will end up replacing everything anyway.

Also, your £5000 plus the savings on shipping will give you a great excuse to go shopping!

Best wishes for you move

You also have to factor in that whatever you do decide to ship, it won't arrive for quite some time.  And if you need stuff in the meantime, you will end up begging, borrowing or buying anyway.  It all depends on your circumstances really.  And yes, I'm looking forward to the shopping - I've been saving every penny I can for nearly 3 years, so I am really going to enjoy spending it.  

• Like 2

Hi all

Latest update, opened my email this morning to find both our 600 visas had been granted, which was quite a shock as I only applied for them on the 23rd, but we're not complaining as neither of the visas have the 8503 (no further stay) condition. So, it looks like our plan (posted earlier) may just come to fruition. They were granted on the 31st May and we have till 31st May 2018 to land, so, we're going to spend the next 12 months doing the necessaries and saving, which leaves us with 10 months (currently) to wait for the 143, meaning the 12 month 600 should be just about right. If not, we'll either leave until the 143 is granted, or apply to extend the 600 as is doesn't have the 8503 condition.

Whatever happens, it's an adventure 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Best wishes for you move

Just worth looking at the "what would you do differently" element of this PIO forum.  There are numerous entries there from folks who have said the exact opposite - ie they wish they had taken more of their own things with them.  However, as others have also very rightly commented, "each to his/her own".  We are all different and what is right for one is not right for another.

On another note, I do keep worrying about the 600 visitor visa.  Some entries seem to say that it only allows you to stay 12 months in an 18 month period, whereas others say nearly 2 years if you leave then re-enter just before the 12 months is finished.  My house is up for sale and I'm intending to move once it is sold, but don't want to find that I may then be totally homeless for 6months and belonging nowhere!  At the ongoing snail's pace of the 143 visas I reckon I will need at least 2 years on a visitor visa..

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AMP said:

Just worth looking at the "what would you do differently" element of this PIO forum.  There are numerous entries there from folks who have said the exact opposite - ie they wish they had taken more of their own things with them.  However, as others have also very rightly commented, "each to his/her own".  We are all different and what is right for one is not right for another.

We are taking pretty much everything other than white goods and a few other kitchen electricals.

As the removal men are starting tomorrow it's all pretty mental here:arghh:

• Like 6

Good luck Nana Jan I hope it all goes well, we are already into the farewell lunches, dinners etc., and weeks to go yet, I think I will need to diet when we finally get there! We are taking most things having changed some of our furniture in the last few years even taking washer and dryer - our movers said it was worthwhile if good quality german products so we replaced ours 18 months ago. I am not taking fridge/freezers though, I don't think they travel well and lots of Oz houses have a space for a big fridge which will be for Oz sized fridges.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AMP said:

On another note, I do keep worrying about the 600 visitor visa.  Some entries seem to say that it only allows you to stay 12 months in an 18 month period, whereas others say nearly 2 years if you leave then re-enter just before the 12 months is finished.  My house is up for sale and I'm intending to move once it is sold, but don't want to find that I may then be totally homeless for 6months and belonging nowhere!  At the ongoing snail's pace of the 143 visas I reckon I will need at least 2 years on a visitor visa..

We have 600 visa . It was granted on 12 May 2017 and that we must not arrive after 12 May 2018. It also states that each stay period is 12 mths from date of each arrival, so if we leave end of April 2018 and come back in before 12 May we can stay for another year! At least that is how our understanding of it is.

Geoff & Gill

• Like 2

After all the kerfuffle with my passport renewal: 

1. Last Friday my online photos were rejected, so I needed to do it the old fashioned way.

2. Got passport photos taken in Timpsons Saturday morning

3. Local Post Office said they don't deal with passports

4. The next Post Office said my photos were a millimetre "out" and might be rejected, but I took a chance anyway because I believed it would take 3 weeks to process.

5. Online info said it takes 3 weeks to get the passport back.

6. Received a text from Passport Office saying I would receive the passport by 21st June (cutting it fine as I move out on 22nd June).

7. Passport arrived today!

That was another week of unnecessary stressing that I could have done without, but hey! I got my new passport!  Woohoo.  

And finally, I've booked a small Movecube for the 21st June.  So that's another step further along the way.   

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

After all the kerfuffle with my passport renewal: 

1. Last Friday my online photos were rejected, so I needed to do it the old fashioned way.

2. Got passport photos taken in Timpsons Saturday morning

3. Local Post Office said they don't deal with passports

4. The next Post Office said my photos were a millimetre "out" and might be rejected, but I took a chance anyway because I believed it would take 3 weeks to process.

5. Online info said it takes 3 weeks to get the passport back.

6. Received a text from Passport Office saying I would receive the passport by 21st June (cutting it fine as I move out on 22nd June).

7. Passport arrived today!

That was another week of unnecessary stressing that I could have done without, but hey! I got my new passport!  Woohoo.  

And finally, I've booked a small Movecube for the 21st June.  So that's another step further along the way.   

Fab!  How much was it please? 

15 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

£542  + $498 to be paid in Australia for clearance etc.  This is door to door and includes starter pack of boxes, tape, marker pens etc. 

Sounds reasonable for door to door. What sort of size is it please? -sorry lol 

7 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

We have 600 visa . It was granted on 12 May 2017 and that we must not arrive after 12 May 2018. It also states that each stay period is 12 mths from date of each arrival, so if we leave end of April 2018 and come back in before 12 May we can stay for another year! At least that is how our understanding of it is.

Geoff & Gill

Many thanks Georf and Gill, that was what I thought but I just needed the reassurance - particularly as there have been so many recent references to 12 months in any 18 months!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Good luck Nana Jan I hope it all goes well, we are already into the farewell lunches, dinners etc., and weeks to go yet, I think I will need to diet when we finally get there! 

I feel your pain. Lovely as they all are, I do feel I am turning into a bloater:biglaugh:

• Like 1