Guest guest36187

Hi

Are there any Australian super experts out there?

I am in receipt of a UK company pension and I pay Australian tax on this. Has anyone found a way to have some of a UK pension paid into an Australian super and hence save some tax.

I have spoken to a financial planning adviser but they couldn’t help on this.

Best wishes

Charlie

We are in the process of bringing OH main pension over and have used an expert here who came highly recommended to us. We are already drawing some UK company pensions and he told us that it was not possible to transfer those pensions to an Australian super as we were already drawing them.

Hi

Are there any Australian super experts out there?

I am in receipt of a UK company pension and I pay Australian tax on this. Has anyone found a way to have some of a UK pension paid into an Australian super and hence save some tax.

I have spoken to a financial planning adviser but they couldn’t help on this.

Best wishes

Charlie

Hello Charlie.

Once your pension is paying you an income/annuity it cannot be transferred to you via an Australian superannuation fund.

The planning to be done is perhaps with your other income sources - can your capital be channelled into an Australian super fund to derive an income that is subject to a lower rate of income tax than would be payable if your capital is not moved.

To be discussed with a financial planner in Australia, perhaps. Feel able to send a PM or an email to me (click on my name to the left of this post) if you'd like to explore this.

Best regards.

" ... any contributions into super must come from a tax paid source, so you will still have to pay tax on it prior to investing into super ..."

No, I don't think so, Gill ...

Best regards.

Alan

Many thanks, sounds interesting. I think I will be in touch with you directly in the next few days.

Charlie

Exactly, Summerdaisy.

We guess that you'll get your CO in 2 months and then your visa 4 weeks after that.

I'd say wait and see, even to to save money and complication.

Great luck!

John & Eirian

Can i ask how long it took for you on getting a CO after recieving the letter or email from DIAC to start getting your medicals, police checks and form 80 done, i recieved my email 25th May. This last bit of waiting is the worst than the very begining i dash home from work to check my email hoping to hear the good news, cheers... Ann:confused:

Hello Gill.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00205990.htm&page=2&H2

http://www.superguide.com.au/superannuation-topics/self-employed

Have a look at the options for making personal superannuation contributions where no more than 10% of income derives from employment.

Hence there is no requirement to pay tax on income before investing in super.

Best regards.

Don't know if anyone can help with our query. We used this site when we did the 143 Contributary Parent Visa, we arrived here in Busselton, WA last September, with lots of help from members on here. We have settled here, are in a rental for a year, and our own place is being built and we should move in in October. But, we have a problem, we left one daughter behind in UK who qualifies for the Remaining Relative Visa, we have looked on the Aus Immigration site, and they are saying 10 to 12 years!!!! We can't believe this, we thought it was about 2, does anyone know any different.

Hello Gill.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00205990.htm&page=2&H2

http://www.superguide.com.au/superannuation-topics/self-employed

Have a look at the options for making personal superannuation contributions where no more than 10% of income derives from employment.

Hence there is no requirement to pay tax on income before investing in super.

Best regards.

Many Thanks Alan - this is interesting.

Hallo all out there

I am just reading through information from a shipping company and for insurance I am asked to list my items and say the price they would be in Australia. I am wonderiing if it would be OK to get the price they would be in UK and change it to Oz dollars? What have others done.

Also I have been told that items such as settee and mattress are very likely to get mould, I will take out the insurance but I am also wondering if it is worth taking them.?

Although it is a long time before getting a CO at times like this I am glad to have the time, all this reading through forms and making decisions is exhausting. I thought I was through with that after filling in the application. But I guess 'thats life'

Thanks again for this wonderful site

Moira

Guest guest72525

Hi

We brought over all our mattresses and lounge furniture in a container, and there was not mould when it arrived in Perth. Re the insurance: friends sent us some newspaper adverts about the costs to replace items to use as estimates. However it is difficult to estimate how much things will really cost to replace, so your estimate sounds reasonable. Some items are expensive to replace in Australia eg solid wood furniture so it might be worth "loading" that.

Don't know if anyone can help with our query. We used this site when we did the 143 Contributary Parent Visa, we arrived here in Busselton, WA last September, with lots of help from members on here. We have settled here, are in a rental for a year, and our own place is being built and we should move in in October. But, we have a problem, we left one daughter behind in UK who qualifies for the Remaining Relative Visa, we have looked on the Aus Immigration site, and they are saying 10 to 12 years!!!! We can't believe this, we thought it was about 2, does anyone know any different.

Hi Steve and Aileen. I don't have any personal experience of the Remaining Relative Visa to be able to advise but I was researching it on Google and came across a post in 2010 by 'Gollywobbler' that seems relevant. Here's the link http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/19294-last-remaining-relative-visa.html

I wish you lots of luck. Angie

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/19294-last-remaining-relative-visa.html

Hi

We brought over all our mattresses and lounge furniture in a container, and there was not mould when it arrived in Perth. Re the insurance: friends sent us some newspaper adverts about the costs to replace items to use as estimates. However it is difficult to estimate how much things will really cost to replace, so your estimate sounds reasonable. Some i

tems are expensive to replace in Australia eg solid wood furniture so it might be worth "loading" that.

Thanks for that. Moira

There is a long thread on this on this forum which you could read through or even post your query there:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/93110-other-family-visas-cutbacks-delays-21.html

As I understand it however, there have been considerable cutbacks in the number of visas granted and 10-12 years is the waiting time being quoted now.

Hi guys,

I've got a few questions with regards to the parent visa and hopefully someone will be able to answer them.

1)If my parents decide to apply for the 173 first then the 143, will they have to join the queue twice? Ie wait approximately 2 yrs to get a CO for 173 then another 2 yrs before the 143 is approved?

2)When they decide to go ahead with the 143 conversion, will they be paying the price of the 173-143 conversion for the year they applied the 173? (ie apply for the conversion visa in 2014 and decide to convert in 2015, will they be paying the price for 2014? or 2015?)

3)Will I be able to apply for my mum first then get my mum to sponsor my dad? I know that there's a 5 year waiting period but 90K AUD is NOT FUNNY! (They're relatively young 58 and 54).

4)I know that if they get any pension, the money paid to them will be from my assurance of support but what about healthcare card or seniors card? You dont get pension with that but you get cheaper prescriptions and public transport-will that come off my AOS??

Thanks everyone!

Hi guys,

I've got a few questions with regards to the parent visa and hopefully someone will be able to answer them.

1)If my parents decide to apply for the 173 first then the 143, will they have to join the queue twice? Ie wait approximately 2 yrs to get a CO for 173 then another 2 yrs before the 143 is approved?

2)When they decide to go ahead with the 143 conversion, will they be paying the price of the 173-143 conversion for the year they applied the 173? (ie apply for the conversion visa in 2014 and decide to convert in 2015, will they be paying the price for 2014? or 2015?)

3)Will I be able to apply for my mum first then get my mum to sponsor my dad? I know that there's a 5 year waiting period but 90K AUD is NOT FUNNY! (They're relatively young 58 and 54).

4)I know that if they get any pension, the money paid to them will be from my assurance of support but what about healthcare card or seniors card? You dont get pension with that but you get cheaper prescriptions and public transport-will that come off my AOS??

Thanks everyone!

Hello

I can answer a couple of these for you, #3, this is a no go I'm afraid, the Australian Government closed this particular loophole a couple of years ago. #4, we are in WA and we were able to apply for a Seniors Card (not to be confused with the Commonwealth Seniors Card) immediately. Using this allows us to use public transport free of charge outside of peak hours and can also be used in a variety of places to get money off. The Commonwealth Seniors Card can only be applied for when you have been resident for 2 years and this is the card that can get cheaper prescriptions. If you need a lot of prescriptions there is a 'cap', I can't think of the correct wording, which drops the cost of prescriptions when you reach it. I think it's about $1200 but I'm sure there is someone out there who will have the exact figures to hand. No, this does not come of your AoS.

Hallo all out there

I am just reading through information from a shipping company and for insurance I am asked to list my items and say the price they would be in Australia. I am wonderiing if it would be OK to get the price they would be in UK and change it to Oz dollars? What have others done.

Also I have been told that items such as settee and mattress are very likely to get mould, I will take out the insurance but I am also wondering if it is worth taking them.?

Although it is a long time before getting a CO at times like this I am glad to have the time, all this reading through forms and making decisions is exhausting. I thought I was through with that after filling in the application. But I guess 'thats life'

Thanks again for this wonderful site

Moira

Hi Moira, I don't know who told you that your mattresses etc are likely to get mouldy en-route. They should be just fine, your removers should check that the container is in good condition by shutting themselves inside to check that there are no holes. It's where the container is not waterproof that people have come unstuck. We brought more or less everything with us and have no regrets about that. The cost of transporting it is certainly cheaper than buying it all again here. Having said that, furniture is not as expensive as we had assumed particularly at sale time. Try looking at Harvey Norman, Super A Mart etc to get an idea of prices but also take into account that the advertised price is rarely what you would pay, you'd be amazed what you can get knocked off by just asking. Also there are deals to be had on insurance, you should be able to get a better rate than that quoted by your removal company.

Good luck with your move.

Hello

#4, we are in WA and we were able to apply for a Seniors Card (not to be confused with the Commonwealth Seniors Card) immediately. Using this allows us to use public transport free of charge outside of peak hours and can also be used in a variety of places to get money off. The Commonwealth Seniors Card can only be applied for when you have been resident for 2 years and this is the card that can get cheaper prescriptions. If you need a lot of prescriptions there is a 'cap', I can't think of the correct wording, which drops the cost of prescriptions when you reach it. I think it's about $1200 but I'm sure there is someone out there who will have the exact figures to hand. No, this does not come of your AoS.

To be eligible for the Seniors Card you have to be over 60 and for the Commonwealth Seniors Card it is 65 and resident for 2 years.

Ian

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone!

Hi

1) We applied for the 173 ad then the 143. It normally takes about 4-6 months to get the 143 visa when you have the 173, in our case it was 7 months.

2) The cost for the visa is the charge which is in operation at the time you apply, ie if they apply for the 143 in 2015 they will pay the charge which is valid then (charges change at July 1st)

3) One of your parents may be able to sponsor the other after five years, but I would think that one of them would have to actually be settled in Australia first, which would mean they would have to spend time apart. Have a look at the relevant information in Booklet 1.

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone!

I can answer a couple of your queries too. We applied for 173 in July 2010 and that visa was granted in November 2011 (it took 17 months altogether) the fee was the one which was applicable at the time of lodgement, ie July 2010.

We are now in the final stages of our 173 to 143 application. The forms went to Perth in May and our daughter is sorting out the Assurance of Support this week. The final visa charge will also be the one set at the time of that application, ie; May 2012.

Hope this helps and good luck

Val

Hi Linday,

We must have both been typing at the same time! But both our replies prove that there is no definate set time for the 173>143. It takes as long as it takes as we have found out (mainly due to Centrelink dragging their feet) but hey-ho we'll get there in the end.

Val x

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone!

G'Day

It's as Val says – all fees are those applying at the time you make that particular application (and remember that they go up on 1 July each year).

As for timescale, you can get an idea from our own countdown below. Our daughter sent them a bank draft for the 2nd main 173>143 fee last week, and we are now just waiting for the visas to come through.

Good luck, Mike

Good morning all,

We are delighted to be able to say that our daughter has at last received the much anticpated letter from Centrelink and has today lodged the AOS bond. CL have assured her that they will scan in the receipt and send it off soon. Just to be safe, our agent is doing likewise. Now we need to sit back and see how long it takes to be allocated our CO. This process should come with a health warning. I can't remember when I last had a good night's sleep!

Kim