Guest guest36187

7 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

We are heading our to see our daughter for Christmas at the beginning of December.  Just our luck that the request for medicals, police checks etc will come just as we arrive out there!

Police check can be done online and medical can be done over there at Bupa. Depending  how long you are there for though. 

• Like 4

It’ll be interesting to see when it gets picked up. We are not using an agent but if ours doesn’t get picked up I’ve got one lined up! End June for us.
Keep us posted!

I don’t think an agent will speed up the process. Just anticipate a 36 month wait at least...
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

I set up an account with Currency Fair. I opened an account with ANZ who are their preferred bank which saves charges. Even though I was in the UK I still managed to open two accounts the only restriction was that you could only ‘deposit’ until you were in Australia and could do ID checks.

I simply send an amount of money into Currency Fair and either change the currency at the going rate or place the funds at a higher rate in anticipation. Once the exchange has taken place you then simply pay it into your ANZ account. Normally the exchange rate is 1 cent below the bank rate and they charge AU$4 for the transfer - so a good deal and very cheap.

I was fortunate a couple of years ago to transfer all of the money I would require for AOS and 2nd VAC. I opened a NAB account and was getting 2.5% interest which was a great deal more than the UK. Of course this all depends on what exchange rate you got at the time. On average most of my funds were transferred at about 1.9 to the £ so all in all a little better than today.

However, I am now in the process of looking for a house. Not sure whether to buy or rent. At the current rate I could loose well over AU$100,000 just in exchange - ouch!

Oh double ouch!! Thanks for all the info

7 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Police check can be done online and medical can be done over there at Bupa. Depending  how long you are there for though. 

Yes - we did think that we could do that.  Definitely the police checks.  We started to do them this week until we got to the part where they said we needed to have been asked by our desk officer to start the process!  We can always do that there and we'll think about the medicals.  It would be good too if our daughter has to start the AOS procedure whilst we are out there so that we can go through the process with her.  I know when things do start to happen it will be manic - quite a shock after such a long wait!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

He knows that it he offered to email. If they don’t bet picked up “on time” what would be the reason? Does it happen?

As we have seen on here,there is no logic in the order. Seems to me to be the pace of the assigned case worker and how long each case takes them lol 

41 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

Yes - we did think that we could do that.  Definitely the police checks.  We started to do them this week until we got to the part where they said we needed to have been asked by our desk officer to start the process!  We can always do that there and we'll think about the medicals.  It would be good too if our daughter has to start the AOS procedure whilst we are out there so that we can go through the process with her.  I know when things do start to happen it will be manic - quite a shock after such a long wait!

Strange how we all dread the next stage but also can’t wait for it!! Have you done form 80? ;)

Edited by Kathss56

19 hours ago, Ian Ireland said:

Am I correct in thinking that the cost you eventually pay is the price quoted when original application is made? That being the case, it will trigger a landslide when news of appreciable increase breaks. 

They really need to augment the staff in Perth to deal with applications accepted. 

A price freeze for existing applicants is not guaranteed but it has been to norm when other visas types have increased in the past.

The problem we face is that the current government sees us (parent migrants) as an unwelcome cost and a large cost too (approximately 300k each).

The reason for the new visas (due to start soon) is to reduce the cost of parent migration to the Australian taxpayer. And once these new visas are available it is highly likely we will see changes to other types of parent visas.

If I have learnt anything from this process so far, it’s not to take anything for granted and the concept of ‘normal’ is very fluid. So best not to stake the farm on any pricing assumptions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pertenhall said:

We are heading our to see our daughter for Christmas at the beginning of December.  Just our luck that the request for medicals, police checks etc will come just as we arrive out there!

Hi, you can do medicals in Oz and Police check applications on line (which they then post to you) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nicole Eire said:

We're in this funny stage now, will be submitting form 80s and police checks over this weekend. Medicals are done and I went in to do the aos on October 16th. My parents are coming over for a 6 week holiday on December 19th so probably doubtful that they'll hear anything before they come...

They are lucky as they have jumped in front of a few lodged  March 15 - not heard anything yet. They say it can take up to 3mths from this stage. Hope it doesn’t for them , ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi, you can do medicals in Oz and Police check applications on line (which they then post to you) 

Yes - we are definitely going to do the police checks on line from Australia if needs be.  The medicals we will wait until we get back at the beginning of January - just in case there are any problems.  Hope there won't be ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

Does anyone else just feel like packing it all in occasionally? Susie’s post has made me want to jump in the harbour! It’s a bit cold though. 

I hope that’s Sydney Harbour? (maybe that nice little beach at Mosman)

And sorry if my post is a bit negative, but I sometimes get a little concerned that we can collectively loose a little perspective. I would love to think that an Australia visa is some sort of prize in a game show (like a Brucie Bonus). But the reality is unfortunately more about hard economics and of course politics. It’s also very sobering to be an immigrant (although a very lucky one with $100k to spend on jumping the visa queue) and it certainly makes me view the world with a more open mind.

Australia’s white history is so relatively young and it’s easy to hear accounts of how tough life was for many even in the last few generations. I love the way Australian society was built and how Australians pride themselves on a shared values and having a ‘fair go’. And for me getting a visa will be a real privilege and I hope I can pay my way and not be too much of burden to many hardworking Australians.  

But, as I climb down from my high horse, I do wish there was a little bit more clarity and certainty in their visa process.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I hope that’s Sydney Harbour? (maybe that nice little beach at Mosman)

And sorry if my post is a bit negative, but I sometimes get a little concerned that we can collectively loose a little perspective. I would love to think that an Australia visa is some sort of prize in a game show (like a Brucie Bonus). But the reality is unfortunately more about hard economics and of course politics. It’s also very sobering to be an immigrant (although a very lucky one with $100k to spend on jumping the visa queue) and it certainly makes me view the world with a more open mind.

Australia’s white history is so relatively young and it’s easy to hear accounts of how tough life was for many even in the last few generations. I love the way Australian society was built and how Australians pride themselves on a shared values and having a ‘fair go’. And for me getting a visa will be a real privilege and I hope I can pay my way and not be too much of burden to many hardworking Australians.  

But, as I climb down from my high horse, I do wish there was a little bit more clarity and certainty in their visa process.

How on earth did you jump the queue SusieRoo?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Very simple you apply for a 173 or 143 visa and pay up and wait 3 years. As apposed applying for a non-contributory visa and waiting up to 30 years (if you are lucky enough to live that long).

Ah, I'm with you. I applied for a 143 in March this year, but thought you'd found a way round the 3 year wait. Wishful thinking! 

• Haha 1

On 10 November 2017 at 10:47, Kpnuts said:

I set up an account with Currency Fair. I opened an account with ANZ who are their preferred bank which saves charges. Even though I was in the UK I still managed to open two accounts the only restriction was that you could only ‘deposit’ until you were in Australia and could do ID checks.

I simply send an amount of money into Currency Fair and either change the currency at the going rate or place the funds at a higher rate in anticipation. Once the exchange has taken place you then simply pay it into your ANZ account. Normally the exchange rate is 1 cent below the bank rate and they charge AU$4 for the transfer - so a good deal and very cheap.

I was fortunate a couple of years ago to transfer all of the money I would require for AOS and 2nd VAC. I opened a NAB account and was getting 2.5% interest which was a great deal more than the UK. Of course this all depends on what exchange rate you got at the time. On average most of my funds were transferred at about 1.9 to the £ so all in all a little better than today.

However, I am now in the process of looking for a house. Not sure whether to buy or rent. At the current rate I could loose well over AU$100,000 just in exchange - ouch!

You and me both! We've decided to bring most of our money over because we can't buy w house without it (!) and we can get a bit of interest on it while we are buying.

• Like 1

@Gogirl1

I used to be next in line after you on my list of 143 Applications but recently 2 others sneaked in before me and pushed me off my chair. So now I will be watching Ant111's progress.

The other person received request for medicals recently, so I am very hopeful to hear from Immi soon. :)

Any progress to report yet?

• Like 1