Guest guest36187

Anyone got advice on how stringent the medicals are?

We applied for a 143 in Feb 16. Both getting on a bit. Husband had a heart attack a week ago. Recovering well with a stent fitted in a coronary artery, no significant damage (luckily!!)

should we even bother waiting for the visa? Or just give up on moving to be with our family?

2 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

Just seen that we're back on line. Over the past year we've saved several posts with relevant info on AoS, Centrelink etc but these bookmarks do not work on the new site. Any ideas how to find them?

Geoff & Gill

Maybe if you pose this question on the thread Forum Problems.  I don't know if there is any way round it.  I tried using the Search function but it wasn't successful. 

5 hours ago, tcau said:

Hang in there! I've been there and done that – but only after two or three years' delay and medical reports from consultants that all was stable and good. I was also recommended (by a member of this forum) to go up to Edinburgh for my medical by a former member of the Medical Officers of the Commonwelath [of Oz] panel when these could be based in the UK rather than (as still now, I presume) only in Australia. The point of this is that she really knew the system and what to say, rather than simply being a box-ticker.

Good luck!

End (or at least climax) of the story...

This week Sue and I received our Australian citizenship at a ceremony in North Sydney council chambers, and celebrated with friends and family. Friends have asked if we were excited etc. The honest answer is, Very happy, yes, but the real excitement and sense of achievement came when we finally got our permanent residence (Aged Parent) visas and moved to Oz in 2012 – this was just the icing on the cake that rounded everything off.

Good luck and good fortune to all who follow...

Citizenship_ceremony.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

First time  posting and please don't take this the wrong way but great to find people in the same scary situation with the 143 CPV and the guesswork around the time span for the  processing procedure.  My wife and I lodged our application in December 2014 and are constantly getting updates on the auto email service ( if it had crashed it was probably down to us, sorry). Like others , I presume, we don't have the $100,000 visa and AOS fees in our petty cash and we are trying to get our timing spot on when to sell the house to raise the rest of the capital. A little dangerous because as you know the information we require just isn't made available such as how many applications are in front of us and how many Immi are processing each week/month. I reckon our time should be approaching within the next few months but as stated by others it has taken several weeks for the dates to proceed a few days. Anyway, we are in the same situation as many others I guess and reading the previous post I was hoping someone might be able to give a second opinion ( or 3rd or 4th) of whether you think my guestimate of September / October 2017 is around about right ?. What do you think ?, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated as it is like playing bingo blindfolded ! 

I notice now it states you should have the funds available but realistically not everyone has I guess and selling too early and the upheaval of then renting etc : / , hate to be a whinging Pom before we hopefully get to Australia but respectfully, surely a little more information wouldn't hurt hey !

11 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi Everyone,

First time  posting and please don't take this the wrong way but great to find people in the same scary situation with the 143 CPV and the guesswork around the time span for the  processing procedure.  My wife and I lodged our application in December 2014 and are constantly getting updates on the auto email service ( if it had crashed it was probably down to us, sorry). Like others , I presume, we don't have the $100,000 visa and AOS fees in our petty cash and we are trying to get our timing spot on when to sell the house to raise the rest of the capital. A little dangerous because as you know the information we require just isn't made available such as how many applications are in front of us and how many Immi are processing each week/month. I reckon our time should be approaching within the next few months but as stated by others it has taken several weeks for the dates to proceed a few days. Anyway, we are in the same situation as many others I guess and reading the previous post I was hoping someone might be able to give a second opinion ( or 3rd or 4th) of whether you think my guestimate of September / October 2017 is around about right ?. What do you think ?, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated as it is like playing bingo blindfolded ! 

I notice now it states you should have the funds available but realistically not everyone has I guess and selling too early and the upheaval of then renting etc : / , hate to be a whinging Pom before we hopefully get to Australia but respectfully, surely a little more information wouldn't hurt hey !

Hi fellow December lodger. We too applied in December 2014 and put our house up for sale soon after Brexit as we weren't sure how the market would pan out and at that stage we still thought (hoped) we would be off early this year!! It sold really quickly and we are renting whilst waiting. It's all so frustrating isn't it?

We are probably going to go out on a tourist visa in June and hope that we will only have to survive 2, 3 or hopefully no more than 4 months. 

Whereabouts are you in the U.K. and where are you headed in Oz?

2 minutes ago, NanaJan said:

Hi fellow December lodger. We too applied in December 2014 and put our house up for sale soon after Brexit as we weren't sure how the market would pan out and at that stage we still thought (hoped) we would be off early this year!! It sold really quickly and we are renting whilst waiting. It's all so frustrating isn't it?

We are probably going to go out on a tourist visa in June and hope that we will only have to survive 2, 3 or hopefully no more than 4 months. 

Whereabouts are you in the U.K. and where are you headed in Oz?

We are in Merseyside heading for Perth where our adult children live. The housing market is quite buoyant here at the moment but the upheaval and uncertainty created since  Brexit is unbelievable as I am sure you know.  So many things have worsened over the last 12 months but we still feel Australia is where we should be. We are trying to get our timing correct as we both intend to work if the job market doesn't worsen, but we are grafters and will find something I am sure. Do you think our visas applications should be processed around Sep/Oct ? 

1 minute ago, gafuk said:

We are in Merseyside heading for Perth where our adult children live. The housing market is quite buoyant here at the moment but the upheaval and uncertainty created since  Brexit is unbelievable as I am sure you know.  So many things have worsened over the last 12 months but we still feel Australia is where we should be. We are trying to get our timing correct as we both intend to work if the job market doesn't worsen, but we are grafters and will find something I am sure. Do you think our visas applications should be processed around Sep/Oct ? 

I sincerely hope we are done by September/October otherwise it's going to be nigh on 3 years. When we applied it was pretty much a 2 year turnaround from application to visa!

Unfortunately, we have absolutely no way of knowing how long it will take and that is what I'm finding so frustrating. Fingers crossed that things speed up:/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NanaJan said:

I sincerely hope we are done by September/October otherwise it's going to be nigh on 3 years. When we applied it was pretty much a 2 year turnaround from application to visa!

Unfortunately, we have absolutely no way of knowing how long it will take and that is what I'm finding so frustrating. Fingers crossed that things speed up:/

Well I will let you know if I hear anything and vice versa please, good luck

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi Everyone,

Maybe arrange a short term borrowing secured against your home, rather than selling it - just in case an issue arises (eg health) between now and anticipated visa grant?

Upon visa grant you can sell the house and repay the borrowing.

Best regards.

• Like 2

I can so identify with the anxiety emanating  from you patiently         ( and at times impatiently!) waiting applicants on the page and all I can say is to hang in there, one day you will get the shock of your life when the email granting your visa pops up on your screen and all then will be worth it. I have been in Victoria since Nov 2013 with my daughter and family and have no regrets.

• Like 3

On 18/03/2017 at 0:52 PM, ramot said:

This might sound a silly question, but what counts as the lodgement date for lodging the parent visa? Is it the day you hand in your visa, or is it the day it's acknowledged?

We are going to immigration on Monday morning to lodge our 864 visa application, we know we have to be onshore to lodge, but we are a bit tight on time for it to be acknowledged as we are heading off to UK for 11 weeks on Tuesday 28th, and want to preferably lodge before we go away.

Would be just our luck for the cost to go up early, if we left it till our return.

Update:

Checked when we went to immigration that date your visa is received is the day that it is lodged.

So we lodged our 864 visa on Monday 20th March and had acknowledgement email on Friday.

off to UK for 11 weeks, on Monday 27th and greatly relieved application in before we left.

We are in a different position to most posters as we have already lived in Australia for 14 years, on the 410 visa and 2 of our children followed us to live here. So we are now eligible to apply for the parent visa, we stay on our 410 visa until hopefully the 864 is issued

3 hours ago, Flano said:

Hi, we lodged in December 2016 & new to this forum and would like to know if anyone has been notified of a case worker yet? 

You won't have a case worker until right near the end of the processing time. They will then ask for medicals, police checks, AoS and then the case worker takes over so I believe ??? correct me if I'm wrong someone.....

Currently 2.6yrs and going beyond that so it would seem. ?

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Maybe arrange a short term borrowing secured against your home, rather than selling it - just in case an issue arises (eg health) between now and anticipated visa grant?

Upon visa grant you can sell the house and repay the borrowing.

Best regards.

Hi Alan, Thanks. I have got something sorted but I hope to get the timing right and save the set up fees and minimum interest charges ( around £4.5 k)

Hi There, I thought I would reply to this topic with our own recent experience. We used a wonderful and patient Migration expert - Thames Migration. My husband and I lodged our application for a CPV143 at the end of June 2014. As we were expecting the visa to come through at that time in around 18 months we put our house on the market and sold and came over to Oz on a one year visitor visa. We invested the money from the house sale and the interest we earned (still higher over here than UK) paid for us to rent .  At the end of the year we had to return to the UK for a 'holiday' as our visa had an 8043 - No Further Stay on it which means you have to be out of the country to apply for another substantive visa. We returned in April 2016 on a visitor visa - surely the 143 would be through within another 3 months which would have been 2 years since lodgement. We flew to Hawaii on that occasion. Unfortunately they were inundated with applications in May and June 2014 so movement as many of you will know was painfully slow. After another exit after three months to Vanuatu we finally had an email to say we could prepare our paperwork, medicals, police checks ready for when we were to be appointed a case officer. That was on 3rd October 2016. Two weeks later we were appointed a Case Officer. Our paperwork was complete, medicals and police checks done all that remained was the Assurance of Support which cannot be done until you receive the letter from the visa centre. Our son acted on it straight away but now the inundation was at Centrelink!!!!  This was probably the most frustrating part of all as everything is done by snail mail. In spite of there being no hiccoughs at all we did not receive the request for our 2nd VAC until Christmas week 2016 by which time we hit Christmas holidays and school holidays. We left Oz again on 9th January and our visa was granted immediately we passed through the e gates in Brisbane on our way to NZ. We finally entered Australia as permanent residents on 14th January 2017 nearly 2 years 7 months after lodgement and 3 months after case officer was appointed. 

Anyone starting out on this pathway might find it quicker to come over on a visitor visa and apply for residency here then apply for a bridging visa.

As far as the medical was concerned. My husband had a heart scare before we applied and it was discovered he had a hole in his heart (from birth). You have to fill in a medical form on line before attending the actual medical which was arranged very very quickly. We also took all relevant paperwork with us from the hospital in the UK.  The doctor told me that I had passed then and there but that they may want to refer my husband to a higher medical authority but in the end they didn't. As well as chest X-ray, urine,sight and blood tests we were bizarrely asked to touch our toes and stand still for one minute with our eyes closed. The doctor also carried out a palpation of our bellies. 

Because we had been in Oz for over a year we had to have both Australian police checks as well as UK ones. These were applied for on line and both came through super quick.

I really do understand the pain and frustration of the waiting game and not knowing where you are at or whether your paperwork has disappeared into the ether never to be seen again especially as far as Centrelink are concerned.  My son waited two hours on the phone to make an appointment to lodge the AOS and in the end went in in person. Once the form was lodged he had to wait for about 3   weeks before receiving a phone call interview. Then it was another wait to receive the letter with instructions to pay the bond. The bond is set up with Commonwealth Bank in person and is a 5 year bond which will roll over to another 5 years at the end of the term. It costs an additional $250 to set up the bond.

Then we had to wait for the letter of acceptance to send to the Case Officer. The whole Centrelink debacle took nearly two months.

Anyway we are here now and looking forward to the next hurdle - Citizenship. I have got in such a habit of checking the Border.gov email that I still do it. Good luck with everything it is worth it in the end, very character building.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, 8CPA said:

Hi There, I thought I would reply to this topic with our own recent experience. We used a wonderful and patient Migration expert - Thames Migration. My husband and I lodged our application for a CPV143 at the end of June 2014. As we were expecting the visa to come through at that time in around 18 months we put our house on the market and sold and came over to Oz on a one year visitor visa. We invested the money from the house sale and the interest we earned (still higher over here than UK) paid for us to rent .  At the end of the year we had to return to the UK for a 'holiday' as our visa had an 8043 - No Further Stay on it which means you have to be out of the country to apply for another substantive visa. We returned in April 2016 on a visitor visa - surely the 143 would be through within another 3 months which would have been 2 years since lodgement. We flew to Hawaii on that occasion. Unfortunately they were inundated with applications in May and June 2014 so movement as many of you will know was painfully slow. After another exit after three months to Vanuatu we finally had an email to say we could prepare our paperwork, medicals, police checks ready for when we were to be appointed a case officer. That was on 3rd October 2016. Two weeks later we were appointed a Case Officer. Our paperwork was complete, medicals and police checks done all that remained was the Assurance of Support which cannot be done until you receive the letter from the visa centre. Our son acted on it straight away but now the inundation was at Centrelink!!!!  This was probably the most frustrating part of all as everything is done by snail mail. In spite of there being no hiccoughs at all we did not receive the request for our 2nd VAC until Christmas week 2016 by which time we hit Christmas holidays and school holidays. We left Oz again on 9th January and our visa was granted immediately we passed through the e gates in Brisbane on our way to NZ. We finally entered Australia as permanent residents on 14th January 2017 nearly 2 years 7 months after lodgement and 3 months after case officer was appointed. 

Anyone starting out on this pathway might find it quicker to come over on a visitor visa and apply for residency here then apply for a bridging visa.

As far as the medical was concerned. My husband had a heart scare before we applied and it was discovered he had a hole in his heart (from birth). You have to fill in a medical form on line before attending the actual medical which was arranged very very quickly. We also took all relevant paperwork with us from the hospital in the UK.  The doctor told me that I had passed then and there but that they may want to refer my husband to a higher medical authority but in the end they didn't. As well as chest X-ray, urine,sight and blood tests we were bizarrely asked to touch our toes and stand still for one minute with our eyes closed. The doctor also carried out a palpation of our bellies. 

Because we had been in Oz for over a year we had to have both Australian police checks as well as UK ones. These were applied for on line and both came through super quick.

I really do understand the pain and frustration of the waiting game and not knowing where you are at or whether your paperwork has disappeared into the ether never to be seen again especially as far as Centrelink are concerned.  My son waited two hours on the phone to make an appointment to lodge the AOS and in the end went in in person. Once the form was lodged he had to wait for about 3   weeks before receiving a phone call interview. Then it was another wait to receive the letter with instructions to pay the bond. The bond is set up with Commonwealth Bank in person and is a 5 year bond which will roll over to another 5 years at the end of the term. It costs an additional $250 to set up the bond.

Then we had to wait for the letter of acceptance to send to the Case Officer. The whole Centrelink debacle took nearly two months.

Anyway we are here now and looking forward to the next hurdle - Citizenship. I have got in such a habit of checking the Border.gov email that I still do it. Good luck with everything it is worth it in the end, very character building.

Hi, how long did you have to leave Australia for each time, is there a minimum period ? We applied June 2015 and are hoping to get requests for medicals end of this year and if successful in passing medicals, applying for 600 visa.

Geoff & Gill

Hi Geoff and Gill, we have applied for and received in less than a week e600 visas but I think it is very unlikely you will receive requests for medicals by the end of this year, the way things are looking it is likely to be minimum of three years from application. It will be two years in a couple of weeks from our lodgement date and we would love to get our medicals done for peace of mind but I suspect we are a long way off that unless immi change their processing. 

Good luck and lets hope we all stay healthy! 

5 hours ago, 8CPA said:

Thanks very much for this information. Great help with trying to plan our final months of the process.

(What happens if you can't touch your toes ?)

• Like 1