Guest guest36187

It must have been great meeting up with forum friends who have all been so helpful, supportive, encouraging and friendly. It makes us a bit envious!

We're hoping to come to Sydney during April or May for three weeks or so to validate our visa and "look around" at housing, assuming all CO matters (including getting one) are settled before that. It would be lovely if we could meet with some of you then and learn from all your experiences.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

To John and Eirian, I am sure Fiz and Marian and maybe Sue and Mike (if they are still in Oz) will be a great help to you.

To Fiz and Marian and Ian and Sue and Mike, thank you all for allowing us to join you today, even though we aren't actually 'on the road' to a cpv........yet!! It was so nice to meet you all and to get lots of tidbits of information that may well help us in the future.

Good luck Fiz with your new job, hope the grandson liked his book!

Marian, hope you manage to keep Ian out of the water until the sharks have gone!

Sue and Mike, hope all goes well in the transition from 173 to 143, your experience will help many others I'm sure!

Thanks again to all of you.

Cheers Pam

ps The youngsters are looking at places in Collaroy and Mona Vale now, we had a quick tour of places they fancied....very nice!

And it was lovely to meet you too, Pam. Hopefully we will meet up again when you are visiting your daughter and her family..my daughter is also looking to buy in the Collaroy/Narrabeen area ironically! Hope your return flight goes well

Rgds

Fiz

Hi Sue

You can put in an application for the Contributory Parent Visa either in Australia or in the UK, it doesn't really make any difference as applications are processed in order of the date of application, but you do need to be offshore when it is granted. Do you have any other children? You will first of all need to pass the Balance of Family test, which means you need to have at least half your children in Australia. Also your daughter will need to be 'settled' in order to sponsor you, which usually means a period of 2 years.

You can find most of the information here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

G'day

Sorry to dissent, but in fact the original application for a 143 or 173 Contributory Parent Visa has to be made from outside Australia. Ditto, when the time comes, the actual grant of the visa – although, if you happen to be in Oz at the time on a family visit, say, the Parent Visa Centre will (so long as you keep them informed) warn you so that you have time to hop over to NZ or Singapore, say, for the grant. Then the visa becomes activated on your re-entry into Oz.

The one difference, when it doesn't matter where you are, is for the upgrade from a 173 to a 143 visa, if you decide (like us) to take the two-stage route.

Good luck and happy form-filling!

Mike

All this sounds so warm and comforting, especially as we are within 2-3 months of our CO date. Having completed medicals and police checks already, we're champing at the bit and can't wait to join the club of Sydneysiders soon!

Best wishes for a Happy & Successful 2012

John & Eirian

I'm sure I speak for others when I say that we look forward to welcoming you when you arrive!

Mike

it was lovely to meet you all today...I hope we can do it again!

Mike-thank you for the tip off re returning visa..i just found this which, if i understand it correctly, means I'm OK for 4 or so years-do you agree?

Once you have a permanent resident visa you can come and go as you please during its validity. When it expires you will need to replace it with a Resident Return Visa (RRV) for which you will need to be resident in Australia unless exceptional circumstances apply.

Rgds

Fiz

G'day Fiz

It was, indeed, great to meet everyone – we look forward to seeing you again, maybe next time we head up towards the Peninsula.

Many thanks for the info on RR visas. I'm still a bit confused, as I think have seen somewhere some other info, specifically as it relates to 143s and 173 (and particularly perhaps re the latter). I think I'll send a query to the PVC in Perth; I'll let you know what they say.

Best wishes, Mike and Sue

It must have been great meeting up with forum friends who have all been so helpful, supportive, encouraging and friendly. It makes us a bit envious!

We're hoping to come to Sydney during April or May for three weeks or so to validate our visa and "look around" at housing, assuming all CO matters (including getting one) are settled before that. It would be lovely if we could meet with some of you then and learn from all your experiences.

Good luck!

John & Eirian

G'day and good luck with getting your CO soon – judging by the Tracker it does seem to be taking only about 12 months now.

Unfortunately, Sue and I are due back in the UK – trying to sell our flat – by the time of your planned visit. But we'll continue to keep an eye on things here.

Mike

Hey Mike and Sue

Yeah it was lovely to meet you all and we look forward to meeting up again before you return to England. Best wishes tp Pam amd John and also John and Eirian ( lovely name) who are on the cusp of getting a CO.

Marian and Ian

G'day

Sorry to dissent, but in fact the original application for a 143 or 173 Contributory Parent Visa has to be made from outside Australia. Ditto, when the time comes, the actual grant of the visa – although, if you happen to be in Oz at the time on a family visit, say, the Parent Visa Centre will (so long as you keep them informed) warn you so that you have time to hop over to NZ or Singapore, say, for the grant. Then the visa becomes activated on your re-entry into Oz.

The one difference, when it doesn't matter where you are, is for the upgrade from a 173 to a 143 visa, if you decide (like us) to take the two-stage route.

Good luck and happy form-filling!

Mike

Hi Mike

Have a look at pge 14 of Booklet 3. You can see that both the 143 and the 173 can be applied for either outside or in Australia.

Hi Mike

Have a look at pge 14 of Booklet 3. You can see that both the 143 and the 173 can be applied for either outside or in Australia.

Apologies and thanks for the correction.

This seems to have been a change since we originally applied, and contradicts an email from the PVC to someone on this thread not long ago.

Note, however, that you still have to be outside Oz at the time the visa is actually granted. Also, you can't apply within Oz if on a visitor visa with a "No further stay" restriction attached.

Mike

Feeling nervous now we are going for our Meds in Dublin on Monday. Police checks done so thats OK, hope the Meds turn out the same. Just looked at the exchange rate for the Euro against the AU dollar-1.24 it keeps getting lower :-( As does the price of our house, when it finally is sold, we may have to live in a tent in our Daughters garden :-(

Not going to give up after getting this far though :-) :-)

Ann and Roy.

Feeling nervous now we are going for our Meds in Dublin on Monday. Police checks done so thats OK, hope the Meds turn out the same. Just looked at the exchange rate for the Euro against the AU dollar-1.24 it keeps getting lower :-( As does the price of our house, when it finally is sold, we may have to live in a tent in our Daughters garden :-(

Not going to give up after getting this far though :-) :-)

Ann and Roy.

Fingers and toes all crossed for you!

Havn't been on for a while, after having to cancel our CO, losing another sister in November & hubby's mam having a fall in December (she's 82) we topped off what can only be described as a s*** year with a nasty car crash the week before Xmas :cry:

lot's of muscle and tissue damage, lot's of physio in the next few months, but thankfully we walked away.

just about topped our year off :yes:

But it's now a New year so it's onwards and upwards. Still not settled on what we are going to do as things with the business are very iffy ATM, we need things to settle a bit first, but we havn't given up yet:cute:.

Loving the new site and deffinatly the 'Like' button :biggrin:

Happy & Healthy New Year to you all.

Phoebe

Havn't been on for a while, after having to cancel our CO, losing another sister in November & hubby's mam having a fall in December (she's 82) we topped off what can only be described as a s*** year with a nasty car crash the week before Xmas :cry:

lot's of muscle and tissue damage, lot's of physio in the next few months, but thankfully we walked away.

But it's now a New year so it's onwards and upwards. Still not settled on what we are going to do as things with the business are very iffy ATM, we need things to settle a bit first, but we havn't given up yet:cute:.

Phoebe

Hello Phoebe

Happy New Year to you!

Wow what a year you had, this one will hopefully give you more of the good things in life!

Get well soon, keep up the physio exercises.

I had the pleasure of meeting some of the PIO members in Sydney last week and your name came up then. We were all wondering what was happening with you. It was quite surreal talking to people who had previously been just names on a web page!!!

Glad you aren't giving up on the cpv. Wish I could say I was still hoping to move, but 10 weeks out there made me realise there is no way my daughter here could afford to live in Sydney, so I have to have half my grandchildren here and half there.

Looks like jetlag will be part of my life for the foreseeable future:arghh:

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Cheers Pam

Hi Phoebe

So sorry to hear of the further trials and tribulations you have had. Truly hope this year brings you nearer to your dreams and desires. ifyou keep the dream alive it will happen eventually.

All the best

pete and margaret

Phoebe

G'day Phoebe

What a [string of] b***er! Let's hope this disposes of all your bad luck for a long long time!

We all think of you, and wish you good/better New Year.

Mike and Sue

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

So sorry to hear of all your troubles. I certainly missed you on here as you used to post regularly. Don't give up. It might take a bit longer but you will get there and it will be worth it in the end I am sure.

Hey Mike and Sue

Yeah it was lovely to meet you all and we look forward to meeting up again before you return to England. Best wishes tp Pam amd John and also John and Eirian ( lovely name) who are on the cusp of getting a CO.

Marian and Ian

Nice to see some familiar names now meeting up but has this been changed to Poms in Sydney? (I know I have a forum for Poms in Adelaide but I've lost track of so many on here I've got some catching up to do). Feel a bit 'out of the loop' being in another state! We were all in the same boat when we were back in the UK but are scattered over a much larger area now.

Can't believe we've been here over 3 months now and own our own home (moved in 6 weeks after we arrived) and furniture (arrived 23rd December!) Still as busy as ever but really enjoying the new lifestye, absence of the British Winter and most importantly... seeing the family and looking after the grandchildren occasionally.

Good luck to those who've recently arrived and those still waiting and a belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

PS Phoebe, just seen your post - I do hope things turn around for you in 2012 and that you start having some good luck for a change. Hope the Physio helps and that are back to full health asap.

Hi Summerdaisy(Frances), the meds turned out fine for both of us. They were done at the Mater private hospital in Dublin and cost 275 euro per person.

Extremely efficient and very friendly people and they send all the results electronically to the DIAC so its also very quick, no messing about with snail mail.

PHOBE- So sorry that you have had such a rough time lately, sometimes it gets you down I know, but keep thinking positively and Roy and I hope this new start to the new year will bring all good things for you all.

Ann and Roy App 173 acc; Oct 2010-CO Dec 2011-Meds & Police Jan 2012. :-)

Hi everyone and Happy New Year

A bit late but like some others I dont seem to be in the loop for notification so am just catching up.

I am in Melbourne on hols for 2mths, one month already gone. Lovely to see the family so regularly and be part of it. Only wobble I have about moving over is leaving friends. Also I will be 62 when I get over here and although I am qualified as a homeopath and masseuse I am not sure I want the hard work of building up a practice. I will look around for something else but dont feel positive about it. But feel that being with the family wins.

How wonderful to meet up with one another after knowing each other through this site. I hope there will people wanting to meet when I get over here, hopefully the end of this year.

Good luck and good health to you all

Moira

Hi everyone and Happy New Year

A bit late but like some others I dont seem to be in the loop for notification so am just catching up.

I am in Melbourne on hols for 2mths, one month already gone. Lovely to see the family so regularly and be part of it. Only wobble I have about moving over is leaving friends. Also I will be 62 when I get over here and although I am qualified as a homeopath and masseuse I am not sure I want the hard work of building up a practice. I will look around for something else but dont feel positive about it. But feel that being with the family wins.

How wonderful to meet up with one another after knowing each other through this site. I hope there will people wanting to meet when I get over here, hopefully the end of this year.

Good luck and good health to you all

Moira

The best advice I have had was given to me in a card just as I left. It was from an Australian colleague who had lived in the UK for 4 years. She said that it would be an emotional roller coaster..and she was so right. I've been here for 4 months now and I would say that on 9 days out of 10, I feel very upbeat but I do have "down" days , to do with missing friends mostly. I am not sure if it is worse because I have moved out on my own....however, what I do know is that the advice has made me recognise the fact that it is/has been a huge move and that it is entirely normal to have pangs of missing people , places etc. It has also helped meeting people through this site and in other ways...my daughter's best friend who moved out a year ago really struggled and even went back to the UK but has now settled back again in Sydney

So Moira, doubts are understandable but for me, the good days way outweigh the bad ones! I'm a similar age to you and didn't think I wanted to work in the same field but I have realised that work is the quickest way to get integrated, especially if you're living on your own..families are great but we all need social company as well! Good luck and I'm sure it will work out for you

fiz

G'day

Members – especially new ones – may be interested to know that the Parent Visa Centre in Perth say that they are currently taking about four weeks to acknowledge applications for 143/173 visas – and I'm not sure if this takes the Christmas & New Year holidays into account.

(We put in our application for the 173>143 upgrade on 14 December; the application fee was deducted from our account about a week later, but we still haven't had written acknowledgement.)

Mike

The best advice I have had was given to me in a card just as I left. It was from an Australian colleague who had lived in the UK for 4 years. She said that it would be an emotional roller coaster..and she was so right. It has also helped meeting people through this site and in other ways

So Moira, doubts are understandable but for me, the good days way outweigh the bad ones! I'm a similar age to you and didn't think I wanted to work in the same field but I have realised that work is the quickest way to get integrated, especially if you're living on your own..families are great but we all need social company as well! Good luck and I'm sure it will work out for you

fiz

Its tough starting again when you are over 60 - we have come out as a couple (married for over 40 years) and plan to remain 'retired'. For social company we firstly joined a local church (have made good friendships with about 5 couples of similar age and younger) who really helped us to settle in to a new culture.

We've also joined the Bowling Club - Night Owls - Monday Night Informal Club Night ( meals and a game followed by drinks and raffle and less than $20 for the 2 of us)

Seniors Aquaerobics at the local swim centre,

PROBUS group (Separate Ladies group for me and Men's group for Clive) - we've got day trips planned and a joint short Autumn holiday in Goolwa

Beria group - meals and walks planned

PIA - meet-up at Noarlunga (haven't managed to get there yet but hope to make one of the meets)

Australia Day celebrations Our council has arranged/organised a free picnic and sausage sizzle for the community (family away on holiday this year at that time)

We've got to know many of our neighbours in the small cul-de-sac and plan to arrange some picnics/BBQs together at the local reserve just 100m away.

Clive has tickets for various cricket matches at the oval and i hope to book some craft classes (card making and scrapbooking) soon.

Haven't seen much of the family for at least 2 months - just Christmas lunch, a meal out and 3 lots of baby sitting!

Also check out the front of your telephone directory (yellow pages 9-13) for upcoming events