Guest guest36187

7 hours ago, daveedley said:

We opened a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank before our visa was granted. You are right that you cannot withdraw money until you go in person to your bank branch (you can do this on a visitor visa). This is a government dictate to prevent money laundering. We sorted the application out with the Commonwealth Bank branch in the UK who were very helpful.

We went to a show/information fair at Sandown last year to gain info on everything ANZ bank were there and opened our account for us then & there.  We can send money over via transfer.  They have a head office in Canary Wharf, I'm sure you can contact them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Good News!

No mention of CPV price rises or changes to the availability of places

In the past any increases have been for new applicants from date of increase so we should  be fine....

BUT, don't quote me on that !! :D:D

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Good News!

No mention of CPV price rises or changes to the availability of places

The Budget papers reference an increase in VACs in line with the increase in the Consumer Price Index (the CPI):

"From 1 July 2017, the Government will index visa application charges in line with the forecast CPI published annually in the Budget."

Based on the current scale of VACs and a 2% increase in CPI this would equate to an increase in charges of some A$1,840 for a couple.

In the past increases in VACs for CP visa applications have been with reference to an index of healthcare costs - which is higher than the general CPI - and of course the Productivity Commission report remains as a reference point if the Government wants to make an upwards move on VACs for Contributory Parent visa applications.

Best regards.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

The Budget papers reference an increase in VACs in line with the increase in the Consumer Price Index (the CPI):

"From 1 July 2017, the Government will index visa application charges in line with the forecast CPI published annually in the Budget."

Based on the current scale of VACs and a 2% increase in CPI this would equate to an increase in charges of some A$1,840 for a couple.

In the past increases in VACs for CP visa applications have been with reference to an index of healthcare costs - which is higher than the general CPI - and of course the Productivity Commission report remains as a reference point if the Government wants to make an upwards move on VACs for Contributory Parent visa applications.

Best regards.

Thank you Alan for the information.

I guess this is still not too bad, considering the recommendations to double the cost of CPVs.

Also, do you know if we can change our application midstream from a 173 to a 143, without going to the back of the queue?

56 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

<snip>

Also, do you know if we can change our application midstream from a 173 to a 143, without going to the back of the queue?

Assuming your 173 visa hasn't yet been granted I think a new application will mean you start again, at the back of the queue.

Best regards.

50 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Update on the increase in VACs: https://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/budget/visa-price-increase-fact-sheet-2017-18.pdf

No increase in 2nd VACs, so the increase on 1 July 2017 is not so much as first thought.

Best regards.

Technically it doesn't say that there are no increases to 2nd VACs, but that "Indexation does not apply to 2 nd instalment VACs" - given your experience, does this actually mean the same thing? Maybe I'm being a little paranoid!

Really pleased there's no planned increase to the 2nd VACs!! 

Not sure if this is the right forum / thread but here goes! - we've decided I will go for the Visitor Visa 600 and hope this I get it for a full 12 month stay. My husband will remain on an eVisitor as he works offshore, currently in China on a ship build, and works 8 weeks about. Whilst we await further steps on our 143 journey, I hope to reapply for the 600 as and when needed. 

How do we go about buying a house in this situation? Has anyone done this? We have been told that there is such a thing as a "bare" trust which enables a trustworthy individual (son) to buy the house on our behalf, with the ability to "sign over" ownership of the house to ourselves when we have residency. Obviously, the purchase would be made with our finances!

Any comments or advice welcome! Thank you.

33 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

AoS Acceptance letter from Centrelink received today in my daughter's mygov account.  Yaaayyyyy!   Now to wait for Immi to request the 2nd VAC. 

Congratulations hope it's not too long now! Enjoy a nice glass or 2 of something cold & bubbly???

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

AoS Acceptance letter from Centrelink received today in my daughter's mygov account.  Yaaayyyyy!   Now to wait for Immi to request the 2nd VAC. 

Fantastic news.

How is the house sale going, dare I ask?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

Congratulations! Any idea on how long the wait would be from this step? 

I submitted all my documents including AoS on 21st April and since then waiting for 2nd VAC. Can anyone tell how long it takes from here?

Cheers

• Like 2

"Also, do you know if we can change our application midstream from a 173 to a 143, without going to the back of the queue?"

Susieroo we cancelled our 103 and applied for the 173 and the time we had spent in the queue for the 103 was taken into consideration.  It might be worth checking with immigration, unless this has now changed or it doesn't work for going from 173 to 143.

10 hours ago, billynomates said:

Technically it doesn't say that there are no increases to 2nd VACs, but that "Indexation does not apply to 2 nd instalment VACs" - given your experience, does this actually mean the same thing? Maybe I'm being a little paranoid!

In my experience an increase to the 2nd VAC for CP visa applications can happen quickly, and without a lot of notice.

Best regards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NanaJan said:

Fantastic news.

How is the house sale going, dare I ask?

Almost ready to exchange contracts, just need to agree a completion date.  If it all goes wrong, I have another buyer lined up and waiting to go ahead.  Seems to be a bit like buses - nothing for a while and then two come along at once. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, AJ_143 said:

Congratulations! Any idea on how long the wait would be from this step? 

I submitted all my documents including AoS on 21st April and since then waiting for 2nd VAC. Can anyone tell how long it takes from here?

Cheers

So are you at the same stage as me?  Have you had the Centrelink acceptance letter yet?  Or  are you further ahead than me, i.e. your Acceptance letter sent letter to Immi on 21st April?  I don't know how long before the 2nd vac is requested, but if your acceptance letter was sent to Immi on  21st April, then it seems I at least have quite a while to wait for the 2nd vac but I would think yours must be imminent.

Edited by Catlady2014

12 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

So are you at the same stage as me?  Have you had the Centrelink acceptance letter yet?  Or  are you further ahead than me, i.e. your Acceptance letter sent letter to Immi on 21st April?  I don't know how long before the 2nd vac is requested, but if your acceptance letter was sent to Immi on  21st April, then it seems I at least have quite a while to wait for the 2nd vac but I would think yours must be imminent.

Yes, in same situation as you, just slightly ahead. Now waiting for immi to contact me back for 2nd vac. Trying to find how much time it takes from here?
My grandson is 1 month old and my daughter is eagerly waiting for us  :) 

Edited by AJ_143
  • Like 4