Guest guest36187

Yes. Anyway, who would not want to live on the Northern Beaches? Am heading there myself soon to stay with a pal for a week or two. I am half hoping Brexit will propel my son and his wife and two little kids back to Brisbane...He's just bought a house in the UK. Bad timing! Works for a US company, but no one is safe.

Yes. Anyway, who would not want to live on the Northern Beaches? Am heading there myself soon to stay with a pal for a week or two. I am half hoping Brexit will propel my son and his wife and two little kids back to Brisbane...He's just bought a house in the UK. Bad timing! Works for a US company, but no one is safe.

Expensive though. We are in Newport overlooking Pittwater and enjoy views everyday. I am going back to uk in sept for first time in 3 and half years - interesting to see how I feel about it when I get ther Kim

For those worried about the exchange rate, who are moving to Aus, remember it is possible to open a GBP account in Aus (HSBC in Aus confirmed we can) and wait for a better exchange rate if you are able to - using, of course, a foreign exchange company when the rate is better, not the bank transfer rate. We may do this if it doesn't improve, but we will surely be stung on the visa fee because I stupidly waited for better than the 2+ rate of recent times (which of course has plummeted) and will likely need it soon. Anyone with a house sale or other main finances, can lose tens of thousands in dollars (or more), it can be very stressful. If it comes to the worse for us, I would rather wait for the rates to improve, rent for a while, and leave the GBP in an Aus bank as the interest should be better there too. Then buy AUD at a better time. Just my thoughts, not sure if it'll help anyone.

Have a great day/evening

Amanda

For those worried about the exchange rate, who are moving to Aus, remember it is possible to open a GBP account in Aus (HSBC in Aus confirmed we can) and wait for a better exchange rate if you are able to - using, of course, a foreign exchange company when the rate is better, not the bank transfer rate. We may do this if it doesn't improve, but we will surely be stung on the visa fee because I stupidly waited for better than the 2+ rate of recent times (which of course has plummeted) and will likely need it soon. Anyone with a house sale or other main finances, can lose tens of thousands in dollars (or more), it can be very stressful. If it comes to the worse for us, I would rather wait for the rates to improve, rent for a while, and leave the GBP in an Aus bank as the interest should be better there too. Then buy AUD at a better time. Just my thoughts, not sure if it'll help anyone.

Have a great day/evening

Amanda

Hi we will have a house to sell does anyone know if we can then leave the bulk of that in a uk account until rate improves if we went to Oz and rented? Assuming eventually our visas will come through.

Sue

Hi we will have a house to sell does anyone know if we can then leave the bulk of that in a uk account until rate improves if we went to Oz and rented? Assuming eventually our visas will come through.

Sue

Just be aware of the financial services compensation - both in UK and Aus banks. UK is currently £75,000 per person. I know that our bank, Lloyds, offer a temporary high balance cover for "eligible" deposits such as house sales for a six month period. Other than that spread it around.

Any reason to think the exchange rate will improve? The Oz has always been a commodity dollar. Gold prices are up dramatically as a consequence of Brexit because gold is a safe haven. This is putting upward pressure on iron ore prices as well. But who knows? Australia is a small open economy highly vulnerable to a global downturn. We weathered the GFC quite well - we had a lot in the kitty because of the China boom. (Although far too much was squandered.) Now the boom is over, and we will be running deficits for years, whoever wins the election on Saturday. Australia is also at risk of losing its AAA credit rating. Nothing is easy to predict. I would try to get professional advice on the best hedging strategy re exchange rates.

Just be aware of the financial services compensation - both in UK and Aus banks. UK is currently £75,000 per person. I know that our bank, Lloyds, offer a temporary high balance cover for "eligible" deposits such as house sales for a six month period. Other than that spread it around.

Very true - something else that can be done while waiting is investment in Premium Bonds, up to £50k each - okay, no interest is paid but extremely high chances of winning a prize with 100,000 numbers each month for a couples maximum allowance, and funds can be withdrawn at any time - I think you have to be in the UK. There are 2 £1 million prizes every month now and tons of others in the £10,000's. Another way of spreading funds with "potential" of very high returns. Bank interest is now so very low, better to get something than nothing, but a big shame too.

Amanda

Very true - something else that can be done while waiting is investment in Premium Bonds, up to £50k each - okay, no interest is paid but extremely high chances of winning a prize with 100,000 numbers each month for a couples maximum allowance, and funds can be withdrawn at any time - I think you have to be in the UK. There are 2 £1 million prizes every month now and tons of others in the £10,000's. Another way of spreading funds with "potential" of very high returns. Bank interest is now so very low, better to get something than nothing, but a big shame too.

Amanda

Hi Amanda

could not believe the result of the referendum, luckily we transferred the visa fee @ 1.96 so feeling a bit happier, plus today the rate looks slightly better than yesterday. Like you, we think we will rent for a while until the rate recovers. Can't risk sending all our money over until we know we have a visa. Flying out to Melbourne on Thursday! It all feels at bit strange, just one more goodbye to do.

Julie

Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014, processing times for these is expected to exceed 24 months.As of now

The department is allocating straight 143 (not 173 to 143) applications that were lodged up to 23 May 2014, 173-to-143 applications lodged up to 17 November 2015

Remember, allocation means it's assigned to a processing officer, yet to be processed after requesting Assurance of Support, health and character clearances, any missing documents, etc.

The department also warns that Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014, processing times for these is expected to exceed 24 months.

Hi Julie safe journey please keep in touch we are 11mnths behind you how have you kept your sanity ??? It feels like your life is in limbo????

Hi

it all seemed like a sensible thing to do back in June 2014! Good job we didn't have a crystal ball!

we must be barking mad!

anyway off we go to Oz on Thursday, no CPV 143 visa but with every hope that we will obtain it in the next 3 months, time will tell......either way we are off for a nice long holiday.

Julie

Hi Amanda

could not believe the result of the referendum, luckily we transferred the visa fee @ 1.96 so feeling a bit happier, plus today the rate looks slightly better than yesterday. Like you, we think we will rent for a while until the rate recovers. Can't risk sending all our money over until we know we have a visa. Flying out to Melbourne on Thursday! It all feels at bit strange, just one more goodbye to do.

Julie

No we couldn't believe it either. Having worked for the EU for 24 years before I retired, I have been feeling so sad, as well a worried about the exchange rate etc. we were not planning to make the move till this time next year in any case but I'm not convinced we'll be out of the woods that quickly. We think we will be renting for a year or longer if we can't sell the house. I'd like to wipe the smirk of Nigel Farages face!

Hi Amanda

Julie

Hiya Julie, Thursday, eeeeek!! How exciting for you! Sounds like you did the wise thing with the visa transfer already. I'm holding out for a miracle in the next couple of months when ours will hopefully have to be paid. I'm sure you must be feeling pretty strange at the mo, with your trip so near now and all those goodbyes out the way. Good on you for taking a leap of faith, have a safe trip and enjoy every moment of your next adventure - it's been long enough coming!

All the best

Amanda

Guest geordie joe

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. I believe there is a minimum income requirement for the assurer of support can anyone tell me the figure.

Thanks

Joe

If you go to this link it gives you the calculations. http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/60. I've asked the question before as to whether this amount is before tax but haven't yet managed to find the answer to that one. I also wonder how strict they are with the amounts and also don't know if they take into account our income. Zee

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. I believe there is a minimum income requirement for the assurer of support can anyone tell me the figure.

Thanks

If you go to this link it gives you the calculations. http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-socia...y-law/9/4/3/60. I've asked the question before as to whether this amount is before tax but haven't yet managed to find the answer to that one. I also wonder how strict they are with the amounts and also don't know if they take into account our income. Zee