Guest guest36187

Hi all, just wondering if someone knows the answer to this question.We are in Oz on the Temporary 173 CP Visa - do we qualify to purchase a property or do we have to wait until we have applied for and hopefully got the Permanent 143 Visa. I have contacted a solicitor who didn't know but will try and find out and get back to us in a few days. I also asked our Case Officer if she was aware of any restrictions and although she did not know the answer, at least she sent a link for the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) but that is not very clear either - it talks of non-residents and purchasing new-build only.We have found a property we would like to purchase - in fact we have put in an offer today - so if anyone can throw any light on this would be much appreciated.Val x

We contacted the FIRB in July last year and here is the reply they sent:

The visa you are currently have (173) is an eligible visa to purchase an Established (second hand) dwelling but you must submit an application to FIRB for approval.

For further information, please visit our website www.firb.gov.au

I assume the rules are still the same, but you could contact them to make sure.

Hi

I thought you might be interested in my d-i-l experience of Centrelink.

I failed my medical so I am waiting for DIAC to let me know what further tests I need.

Its not a good idea to leave the medicals until we get the case officer but the 2 clinics in London wouldnt let me do until I had the HAP no:

"I got a call from Centrelink to do my interview over the phone. She said the Assurance of Support has been processed (ie. they are happy with all the docs I filled in and dropped off). She explained my 10 year commitment to make sure you don't try and rip off Centrelink. She said I will get a letter from Centrelink with details of where to put the money. When I get the letter I just call the Commonwealth Bank to arrange a time to see them to open the account that the $10k bond goes into. Then the Commonwealth Bank will give me letter evidence that I need to take back to Centrelink to prove that the money is deposited. That's it. Easy"

Jen

Hi

I thought you might be interested in my d-i-l experience of Centrelink.

I failed my medical so I am waiting for DIAC to let me know what further tests I need.

Its not a good idea to leave the medicals until we get the case officer but the 2 clinics in London wouldnt let me do until I had the HAP no:

"I got a call from Centrelink to do my interview over the phone. She said the Assurance of Support has been processed (ie. they are happy with all the docs I filled in and dropped off). She explained my 10 year commitment to make sure you don't try and rip off Centrelink. She said I will get a letter from Centrelink with details of where to put the money. When I get the letter I just call the Commonwealth Bank to arrange a time to see them to open the account that the $10k bond goes into. Then the Commonwealth Bank will give me letter evidence that I need to take back to Centrelink to prove that the money is deposited. That's it. Easy"

Jen

Hi Moira,

Could you tell me please, how did you know about the fault medical result? Was it from your visa-officer? Did the visa-officer tell you about your medical fault?

I am interesting because our medicine was sent to the Medical Officer of Commonwealth for review. That is what our officer said. So I afraid about the result of medicine and how long this review will take.

Thank you.

Jane.

Interesting question. The panel doctor told me that I had blood in my urine on the day, so he sent it to the path lab (extra 30gbp) this was tested for white cells and protein. Both of which were absent. He said I could come back in a week for another test if I wanted and that DIAC would wannt me to have some tests if there was still blood there and that I had to make sure to have the tests they stated. I asked him what the tests woould be, but he didnt know. His explanation was that once he clicked 'yes' in the box for bld in urine it would automatically say the tests that would be required but it would also mean that the form had gone to DIAC and he was giving me the option of having another test in a weeks time to see if there was any change. So it seems to me that there isnt a person looking at this it comes up with the approriate tests automatically. Yesterday I asked him to click the box (which meant sending over to DIAC) so I could get the tests done. But in my email just now he has sent the path report but no tests have been mentioned. The Dr office is shut now - so I am not sure whether he sends me tests or they go over to DIAC and they email me. So I will ring the Dr office tomorrow and ask who sends it to me. BUT time is ticking away. As soon as I get information about the tests I will email my CO and tell her what I am doing and ask for an extension.

People on here have often said how fraught everything gets at the end and I have tried to be as organised as I can but I have joined others in panic, loss of appetite, loss of sleep etc...........

Hope this helps Jane

Moira

Hi Moira,

Could you tell me please, how did you know about the fault medical result? Was it from your visa-officer? Did the visa-officer tell you about your medical fault?

I am interesting because our medicine was sent to the Medical Officer of Commonwealth for review. That is what our officer said. So I afraid about the result of medicine and how long this review will take.

Thank you.

Jane.

Hi Angie and Ted, if memory serves me right, You,re flight is tomorrow the 19th. So, have a good and safe flight and have a wonderful reunion with your family. I'm sure the one you're leaving in the UK will be out for a visit before too long. We hope to See you down under before too long when you are settled, the wine/beer is on ice with your names on it! I can't believe we've only been here a little over 3 weeks and we've already found a property and had our offer accepted! With a 40 day settlement, we should be homeowners by the end of November!

Val and Matthew x

Hi Angie and Ted, if memory serves me right, You,re flight is tomorrow the 19th. So, have a good and safe flight and have a wonderful reunion with your family. I'm sure the one you're leaving in the UK will be out for a visit before too long. We hope to See you down under before too long when you are settled, the wine/beer is on ice with your names on it! I can't believe we've only been here a little over 3 weeks and we've already found a property and had our offer accepted! With a 40 day settlement, we should be homeowners by the end of November!

Val and Matthew x

Hi Val and Matthew. Yes you are quite right our flight is tomorrow the 19th! We have had a busy few days saying our goodbyes and sorting out the last minute things. So many mixed emotions - it's not a easy process is it? I have been popping in now and again reading the posts and saw that you were looking at a property. So pleased to hear that you have had your offer accepted! Can't believe how much you have done in 3 weeks! Looking forward to meeting up and enjoying that wine/beer in the sunshine! Take care and see you soon! :) xx

Congratulations Val & Matthew on your offer being accepted - you've certainly been busy in those 3 weeks.

Have a safe journey Angie & Ted, keep us in the loop when you arrive and let us know how your doing.

Five more weeks until we leave for our 5 week trip to the Bayside, we're hoping we can arrange a little meet up!

Until then......................Val x

Interesting question. The panel doctor told me that I had blood in my urine on the day, so he sent it to the path lab (extra 30gbp) this was tested for white cells and protein. Both of which were absent. He said I could come back in a week for another test if I wanted and that DIAC would wannt me to have some tests if there was still blood there and that I had to make sure to have the tests they stated. I asked him what the tests woould be, but he didnt know. His explanation was that once he clicked 'yes' in the box for bld in urine it would automatically say the tests that would be required but it would also mean that the form had gone to DIAC and he was giving me the option of having another test in a weeks time to see if there was any change. So it seems to me that there isnt a person looking at this it comes up with the approriate tests automatically. Yesterday I asked him to click the box (which meant sending over to DIAC) so I could get the tests done. But in my email just now he has sent the path report but no tests have been mentioned. The Dr office is shut now - so I am not sure whether he sends me tests or they go over to DIAC and they email me. So I will ring the Dr office tomorrow and ask who sends it to me. BUT time is ticking away. As soon as I get information about the tests I will email my CO and tell her what I am doing and ask for an extension.

People on here have often said how fraught everything gets at the end and I have tried to be as organised as I can but I have joined others in panic, loss of appetite, loss of sleep etc...........

Hope this helps Jane

Moira

Thank you for answer, Moira!

I hope all will be well with our medicine and all of us will get visas soon!

Congratulations Val & Matthew on your offer being accepted - you've certainly been busy in those 3 weeks.

Have a safe journey Angie & Ted, keep us in the loop when you arrive and let us know how your doing.

Five more weeks until we leave for our 5 week trip to the Bayside, we're hoping we can arrange a little meet up!

Until then......................Val x

That would be lovely Val. See you soon! Take care - Angie and Ted x

Hello All

Just had to spread the good news.........

I am a Grandma again!!

About 5pm in Sydney, Lauren Grace was born, weighing 3.55kg and wearing a shock of dark hair!!

As she is a little early, I tried to change my Singapore Airlines flight to one a week earlier, but they came back with a price of an additional £648

Needless to say, I will be travelling on the original dates and will be in Sydney until 22nd November should anyone fancy a coffee.

Sorry this isn't about visa, but just HAD to tell the good news.

Cheers Pam

Wonderful news, Pam.

Maybe this deserves more than a coffee when we meet up in November?

Enjoy the new grand-daughter!

John & Eirian

No I didnt send the email as thier email arrived before I could.

Went for my medical this morning, thought I would sail through - but shock horror they found blood in urine. So they send it for further tests send the results of that test to DIAC and depending on what the results are ????? more waiting.

Moira

Really sorry to hear about your delay, Moira.

It must be so frustrating to have a setback after so long, but try to be positive, even though that must be difficult right now.

Remember, you're so much closer to your visa than when you started on this journey.

Good luck.

John & Eirian

We are all meeting on October 27th if you're in Sydney by then....otherwise I am sure we'll find a time in November. Mike and Sue have just arrived back too and they'll be there on the 27th...

Rgds

Fiz

Hi Mike & Sue.

Glad you're here at last.

Looking forward to meeting you two, especially after all your escapades over the last few months!

John & Eirian

Wonderful news, Pam.

Maybe this deserves more than a coffee when we meet up in November?

Enjoy the new grand-daughter!

John & Eirian

Thank you for the good wishes.

I hope you all have a great meet up on the 27th, I will be at home in a state of panic/excitement, but may use both as a reason for "more than a cup of coffee"!!!

Mike and Sue, I hope you won't mind recounting your travels again if we can all meet up in November?

I see elsewhere on PIO that you are having some beautiful weather at the moment, let's hope it's here to stay now.

Cheers all, Pam

I do know that there is some talk of the UK government maybe rethinking freezing the state pension for those living in Australia, not that I think it will make a lot of difference. This is because so many pensioners are returning to the UK as they can no longer afford to live here. This of course puts pressure on the Health Service and Social Security. We loved it here after coming on holiday for many years and when we forked out for the CPV it was with the intention of staying here. Since starting the process, however, the exchange rate has gone pear shaped, so we still haven't bought a house here - OH isn' really happy with the style and quality of Australian houses - and if we do will have to set our sights a lot lower than we had anticipated when we first started this process.. We are finding it very expensive here especially in WA and are not able to live the lifestyle that we had anticipated and are aware that we could have a much better standard of living back in the UK. It's not something you can really gauge till you live here. Having said that we still have a couple of pensions which we have not yet started to draw, so I guess the crunch will be to see how we go and whether the exchange rate bucks up.

We love being with our family and young grandchildren and that's priceless, but don't feel entirely at home here. I know some people have said they don't care about living frugally as long as they can be with their family. However, we still have a daughter in the UK, but she has expressed an interest in moving to Australia maybe some time in the future, so we would like to stay here and see if we can get citizenship to keep our options open. It wouldn't be spending the money that would cause us to make more of an effort, but the fact that we had both our kids here. We do feel torn at the moment but if we can get citizenship then spending the money won't have been in vain.

Quality of life is really what it is all about, isn't it? Is there a price on that?

I doubt whether there is a single person here who's made the decision who is better off financially, compared to their previous lives in the UK.

Quite apart from the cost of the move, selling off precious assets, moving away from friends, eye-watering cost of housing and eating out here, it's "bearable" I think.

Being with family and grand-kids must be fantastic.

Sorry to sound a bit priggish, but what a life!

John & Eirian

Hi Everyone

I am sure this had been covered in the past but can't find the thread!

Were any of you able to open an Australia bank account before you moved out there or has anyone still in the UK have an Aussie bank account?

Thanks

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

We opened an account at ANZ back in 2007 before our daughter got married - way before we even thought about emigrating. It was more for saving for the wedding.

If you open an account whilst over there its ok - you can use it immediately but I think if you open one either through the London office or via the internet then you have to validate your identity by turning up in person before you can withdraw funds.

Hope this helps, Val x

Hi Everyone

I am sure this had been covered in the past but can't find the thread!

Were any of you able to open an Australia bank account before you moved out there or has anyone still in the UK have an Aussie bank account?

Thanks

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

We opened a NAB account online from here ages ago and just had to go into a branch to validate it when we first arrived,( Sydney for us)

It was very easy and I still keep an eye on the Forex sites, so, if the rate goes up, I just transfer some more.

They do know that we are in UK and that we are not 'actively' seeking a visa and it was no problem.

Also worth thinking about the interest rate too, a lot higher over there!!

I'm sure all the Oz bank accounts are similar, as Val has said.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers Pam

Hi Phoebe

We opened a NAB account online from here ages ago and just had to go into a branch to validate it when we first arrived,( Sydney for us)

It was very easy and I still keep an eye on the Forex sites, so, if the rate goes up, I just transfer some more.

They do know that we are in UK and that we are not 'actively' seeking a visa and it was no problem.

Also worth thinking about the interest rate too, a lot higher over there!!

I'm sure all the Oz bank accounts are similar, as Val has said.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers Pam

Thanks ladies :biggrin: I was thinking about NAB as there is one close to my daughter but on their web site it is saying you have to be intending to move to Oz within 12 months.......was that not a problem for you Pam?

Also did you just collect devit cards etc when you went on holiday, do they send your statements etc to your home in the UK? Sorry for all the wuestions :swoon:

Phoebe

Thanks ladies :biggrin: I was thinking about NAB as there is one close to my daughter but on their web site it is saying you have to be intending to move to Oz within 12 months.......was that not a problem for you Pam?

Also did you just collect devit cards etc when you went on holiday, do they send your statements etc to your home in the UK? Sorry for all the wuestions :swoon:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, we got debit cards quite quickly sent to our daughters address. If you open one online, the cards will be waiting for you on your next visit to Oz. You just have to pop in with your passport.

When we came home, we wrote and told them of the change of address and they always send statements and stuff to our UK address. The bank manager knows me quite well now as I've been a nuisance over Centrelink and DIAC payments. We also now have a savings account which pays better interest than here.

Good luck, Val, x

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, we got debit cards quite quickly sent to our daughters address. If you open one online, the cards will be waiting for you on your next visit to Oz. You just have to pop in with your passport.

When we came home, we wrote and told them of the change of address and they always send statements and stuff to our UK address. The bank manager knows me quite well now as I've been a nuisance over Centrelink and DIAC payments. We also now have a savings account which pays better interest than here.

Good luck, Val, x

That's a big help ladies. I've had a quick look at their web site hubby's having a look later (we have to let them know they are in charge :laugh:). Once him indoors is happy we will give it a go.

Apart from the convenience of having an Aussie account we are looking to hire a motor home next time we go, with 3 bairns in a 3 bedroom house it's a tight squeeze now since we are going for around 8-10 weeks.

We will have the first week or so at start and end of holiday with them but we want to have a good tour around to see if hubby feels it's worth spending the money to make the move...........he is slowly coming round to the idea since we got new neighbours last year with 3 constantantly barking dogs :goofy: we are both dog lovers but these are totally out of control. Hopefully we would get a better deal if we have Aussie Dollars to trade with :yes:

Apologies for the last posts spelling was typing in a hurry didn't think to check it :twitcy:

Phoebe

Phoebe

Just after I sent the online application, I had an email from them asking about when we were going. I just explained that we wanted the account for when we visited and that it would be at least once every year and that we wanted it for buying 'stuff' for our grandchild (now grandchildren).

They were fine with this and within a day or two it was all set up. We were given the account numbers etc so that we could pay in, but we couldn't take money out until we had validated the account.

This was straightforward, we nominated the branch we wanted to go to (they gave us a choice I think?) and we went in on our next holiday. Were given debit cards straight out and were offered and accepted visa type cards, that were delivered to our daughters house within the week.

We also opened a savings account attached to the current one and the rate was an excellent introductory one for the first six (?) months, but still a good rate now.

The only downside as such is that we gave them our daughters address as a contact address. This means when I pay money in to fund my holiday next week, my daughter can see it. She then gives me hassle saying I don't need money, she will look after me etc etc

All in all, we have had no problems and I would recommend them. As to them sending statements to the UK I really don't know but a quick email to them would sort that out.

Pam