NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I have applied to ahpra for registration as a nurse and need some advice or guidance. I sent my application form in, along with all the documents they request and the fee. I got all my docs certified by a notary public, wax seals and all, and paid £150 for the pleasure. Included in these certified docs were colour copies of my degree cert and course transcripts. However, today I received an email from ahpra requesting further information.

"

• Evidence of Qualifications and Transcript In order to assess your eligibility forregistration we are required to confirm that you are qualified. Please provide acorrectly certified copy of your Diploma /Bachelor degree and transcripts as evidenceof your Nursing qualification.

• Current Certificate(s) of Registration Status Please arrange for certificates ofregistration status to be forwarded directly to AHPRA from all jurisdictions in which youcurrently or have previously held registration during the last five years. "

The reg status is on its way to them, but I am baffled by the top request? I've already sent them. Anyone applied recently who had similar problems? I have been given until the 1st June to supply the documents. I would love for just one part of this whole process to be easy, alas, it is not meant to be.

I have applied to ahpra for registration as a nurse and need some advice or guidance. I sent my application form in, along with all the documents they request and the fee. I got all my docs certified by a notary public, wax seals and all, and paid £150 for the pleasure. Included in these certified docs were colour copies of my degree cert and course transcripts. However, today I received an email from ahpra requesting further information.

"

• Evidence of Qualifications and Transcript – In order to assess your eligibility forregistration we are required to confirm that you are qualified. Please provide acorrectly certified copy of your Diploma /Bachelor degree and transcripts as evidenceof your Nursing qualification.

• Current Certificate(s) of Registration Status – Please arrange for certificates ofregistration status to be forwarded directly to AHPRA from all jurisdictions in which youcurrently or have previously held registration during the last five years. "

The reg status is on its way to them, but I am baffled by the top request? I've already sent them. Anyone applied recently who had similar problems? I have been given until the 1st June to supply the documents. I would love for just one part of this whole process to be easy, alas, it is not meant to be.

Hi,

I think I remember having to contact my university to send transcript directly I also remember paying approx. £60 for it!!! Maybe this is what they want. Have you emailed your reg officer?

Sara

I applied for my nursing registration with AHPRA in November 2013, after 6 months of gathering further information for them because of a change in guidelines, I was notified in August 2014 my application had been rejected. I was currently living in Brisbane at the time with a permanent residency. I was told i could appeal which i did and it had to be entered by 31st October 2014, since then it has been withdrawn from panel twice. It was meant to go again on 5th March but up to yet Ive heard nothing. Im now back in the UK because i couldnt work in OZ with no registration. Is anyone else going through the same? Im so frustrated and desperate to get back over there. My appeal was rejected because I have a diploma and not a bachelor degree which you now need. but if they had told me this in the first instance i could of upgraded while iv wasted all this time waiting to hear from them.

That sucks big time :no:

I initially applied to AHPRA at the end of January 2014, and waited what seemed like an eternity to be told in September 2014 that my application was due to be refused due to the change in criteria (I qualified with a Diploma in 2010). The formal notice of refusal came in October 2014.

Since then, I have enrolled and *NEARLY* completed the top up degree course through the Open University, I have been doing it full time, so two 60 credit modules at once, while continuing to work full time and it hasn't been easy to say the least, but thankfully the end is in sight (7000 word end of module assignment and exam first week in June). Once this is finally over with, I will then have to go through the whole application process again, including getting all documents notarised as AHPRA haven't returned the first lot!

Your situation sounds dreadful, 10 times worse than mine, to actually physically be there and be forced to return to the UK :arghh:

I wish you all the best, and hope you're soon nursing down under!!

Alex x

I am having a major wobble today. Not the first tears I have spent throughout this whole process. I just phoned the NMC to check that the verification of my registration that I requested be sent to AHPRA at the beginning of April has in fact been sent. Only to be told by the very obnoxious lady on the other end of the line, that they were in the process of sending it out in the next couple of weeks!! Am I missing something here? Surely it's just a case of print off and send?! They were quick to take the fee payment though. That's one thing they have been very efficient about. When I explained my situation (that AHPRA have given me till the 1st June to get all the required documents to them) the woman said 'we are doing it as quickly as we can!' I asked why it had taken so long, given I requested it beginning of April, it took them almost three weeks to send me the pack, I sent it back that day and the payment was taken 2 days later. That was 2 weeks ago. She just said 'it will be sent before the 1st of June, that's all I can tell you.' Being sent is great, arriving in Australia would have been more reassuring.

I could swing for someone honestly! I absolutely hate having to rely on others to do things as they always seem to let me down.

Hi @Pinkestlady I too had to wait a long time to get NMC to send my certificate of good standing. Have you asked for an extension from AHPRA? If you explain what NMC have said and ask for an extension they may give you one. Also your uni transcripts should include the number of theory and number of placement hours you did at uni, is this missing from your transcript? I only ask as I had to ask for an additional transcript to cover this as it wasn't on my original academic transcript.

Hi @Pinkestlady I too had to wait a long time to get NMC to send my certificate of good standing. Have you asked for an extension from AHPRA? If you explain what NMC have said and ask for an extension they may give you one. Also your uni transcripts should include the number of theory and number of placement hours you did at uni, is this missing from your transcript? I only ask as I had to ask for an additional transcript to cover this as it wasn't on my original academic transcript.

It's not a certificate of good standing, it's a verification of registration I have requested. Do I need to get a certificate of good standing? No one mentioned that. I am planning to phone ahpra Monday morning to ask for a n extension and for them to clarify what they want exactly as it's not clear. All my transcript really says is the theory and practical hours I spent on each topic. This was enough for ANMAC but clearly not for AHPRA. I'm dreading having to go back to my uni for more info as they are so unreliable, they have two secretary's both as useless as each other. They delayed my ANMAC assessment because they didn't send my transcripts and the delayed my visa application for the same reason. I really despise having to depend upon others. Just to check, my transcript was about 4 pages long, does that sound about right to you? Thanks for replying x

I'm guessing the verification of registration is the same as your NMC statement of entry? If you have your original statement of entry to the NMC you can send it directly yourself to AHPRA, they don't need to come from the NMC. The certificate of good standing should go straight from NMC to AHPRA- confirming that you are currently on the register and you have no impending tribunals etc. 4 pages for academic transcript is about the same as what mine was.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Would be extremely grateful for any info on the below questions I have RE filling out the pleasure that is the APHRA form:

Section C: Proof of Identity

As I am applying from the UK, which option do I tick here as I am only providing a certified copy of my passport?

Section E: Qualification for the profession

States that: You must attach a certified copy of all your academic qualifications and examinations/ assessments mentioned in this form. Following assessment of your application, you may be requested to provide further information.

Is this JUST a copy of my degree? Or this transcript thing which I keep reading about?

Section G: Work History

States that: You must attach to your application: a Statement of Service from all of your employers from the past five years, and

The last five years for me is 3 years doing my degree, and 2 years in the NHS. Prior to this I worked in IT! Will a statement of Service for the last 2 years covering my NHS job be sufficient?

Section H Suitability Statements

OMG – what a convoluted affair…….Has anyone gone through the new police checking system that APHRA introduced in Apr??? Seems like more cash to part with and another level of checks that I will also need to duplicate when going for my 189…..

SO far all I have done is book my IELTS test for the end of August. I can see why folk use an agent - however all the quotes I have received have been circa £2.5k which I think is rather steep! I WILL get through this!

My night shift brain is actually hurting :wacko:

I have also learned that JP's in Scotland will certify your docs free of charge which is rather nice of them!

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/the-courts/jp-court/signing-documents

Thanks for reading.....

Gayle

Guest Guest100417

Hi all,

I am nearly completed on the degree top up modules and just awaiting results in August. I did the Cognitive Behavioural Interventions, Mentorship, Psychopharmacology and Non Medical Prescribing (both double credits), Leadership and Evidence Based Practive via the University of Chester. Once I have the results, I will be starting the dreaded nonsense with AHPRA. It is here that I would like to pick your brains...

Does anyone know the estimated time frames for registration?? I am psych trained if this makes any difference.

Thanks,

Tom

Guys what is the difference of certificate of good standing vs certificate of registration status?

I am working in Oman as nurse. It seems Ministry of health is not issuing good standing anymore. And they said id better ask my employer for it. Please advice. I dont think my employer will issue that unless i resigned from work..

Guys what is the difference of certificate of good standing vs certificate of registration status?

I am working in Oman as nurse. It seems Ministry of health is not issuing good standing anymore. And they said id better ask my employer for it. Please advice. I dont think my employer will issue that unless i resigned from work..

I asked AHPRA this when I phoned them last time and they told me they are one and the same, they just have different names for it. Just to add to the confusion lol! I got my 'verification of registration' sent directly to AHPRA by the NMC.

I asked AHPRA this when I phoned them last time and they told me they are one and the same, they just have different names for it. Just to add to the confusion lol! I got my 'verification of registration' sent directly to AHPRA by the NMC.

I have been working for 2 years in Oman. Just today I got my registration from the regulatory body. They issued me this certification stating that I am a registered nurse alongwith my license number. will that suffice?

Hi Gayle

my application has gone to the board with AHPRA this week. Send everything and get it all certified by a Jp make sure the print their name and phone number on it. A statement from NHS will be fine that's all I sent. For proof of ID = passport, bank statement, driving license are the 3 you need. One with photo one to link photo and address and one just address. Get your uni to send a transcript but you need a full break down of everything you had to do to qualify so the basic one doesn't cut it. Get nmc to send directly too. Think that's £30. It's a total palava but I got mine done in two goes and only applied in Feb. good luck. Give me a shout if I can help further.

lisa

Can anyone help me? I had all my documents certified by A solicitor who also put commissioner of oaths on each document - but apparently this isn't enough....!? I am so confused!! The list then provided says things like Teacher can do it but I didn't think a Teacher could?? Now I am really confused!!! Can someone help me and tell me exactly who you all had your docs certified by? Also because my manager didn't date her signature the date of the letter was not enough and I have to re-send this too - what a blooming mess!!!

Teachers can only do it if you're in Australia already. It's got to be a solicitor or justice of the peace. You need their name printed and their contact number. Give them an email to clarify things. When they asked for my docs to be recertified they sent a paragraph about what was required by the person certifying

I had a solicitor do it with everything written on and they've said its not enough!? Contact numbers etc so I am very confused what exactly did your solicitor say he or she was? Just a solicitor? Thanks xx

i used a justice of the peace. They basically stamped it with their verified as a true copy stamp. Signed it, put their name and phone number on it. Think the stamp had justice of the peace on it too. A girl in my work used a solicitor who wasn't allowed to do it. Not sure why and had to get it redone by a jp x

I see yes it's not a justice of the peace it has to be that or a notary not a solicitor I think i had focused too much on ANMAC and kinda assumed it be the same!!! Nightmare! But thanks! Is a justice of the peace a type of solicitor then? I can't seem to find one and the notary wants me to jump through hoops also so if I can avoid that...it would be great haha I will get it sorted just so annoying!! Xx thank you

Can anyone help me? I had all my documents certified by A solicitor who also put commissioner of oaths on each document - but apparently this isn't enough....!? I am so confused!! The list then provided says things like Teacher can do it but I didn't think a Teacher could?? Now I am really confused!!! Can someone help me and tell me exactly who you all had your docs certified by? Also because my manager didn't date her signature the date of the letter was not enough and I have to re-send this too - what a blooming mess!!!

That's only within Australia. Outside it can only be done by a notary public or a justice of the peace. A solicitor won't cut it. I had to pay to have all mine re certified as I had originally gone to a solicitor.

Yes same I had read the anmac guidelines and got it all done at same time and skimmed the ahpra ones so assumed it was the same my own fault but cannot believe it doesn't cut it but ok for anmac oh and Australians - doesn't seem a fair system! My notary seems to want to do lots of digging around before she notorised anything too! :(

Hi folks

I am new to Poms in Oz and I am desperate for some advice and pointers if possible...I am sorry if this is going on to a different thread but no idea how to start my own post!!

I am 34 a UK nurse with 10years experience in acute care...mainly A&E but ICU/HDU also. I am looking to relocate to Melbourne, where my new partner is a permaenant resident out there he has lived there for 17 years. I have started the process and sent off my forms for the AHPRA registration last week (I have previously worked in OZ as a nurse in Sydney on a working holiday visa about 7 years ago no so I was told by AHPRA I don't need to have my qualifications reassessed by them...hopefully making the process a lot shorter than I first thought). I am hoping to get over on a work sponsorship visa (457) if I can find an employer who is willing to sponsor me. Can you tell me if I will also have to do the ANMAC registration as well or is that just if you are going for permaenant residency? It seems the whole thing is very confusing!

Another question/worry I have....melbourne royal hospital at the moment say on their website that they are not currently recruiting international applicants...does anybody know if this is nursing in general for Melbourne at the minute? Are there many nursing employers who sponsor on a 457??

I really would be so appreciative of any advice anybody could offer.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Everyone

I would appreciate your advice re: AHPRA. Last year I was refused registration due to having a Dip He in Adult Nursing (offered bridging course!). Since then I have worked hard and have just received my results giving me a BSc in health studies. The only problem is that I wont receive my graduation certificate until I graduate in November. My University will write to me to confirm my Bachelor degree and can provide a copy of my transcripts to AHPRA. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so is this enough for AHPRA or do I need to wait until November, when I will receive my graduation certificate before I can apply?

Your advice would be much appreciated

Thanks