NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Thanks that's great, fingers crossed I will keep you updated haha.... That's uncanny I to am a ITU nurse, just out of interest have you completed a critical care course as I have 4 years ITU experience but not don't the course as yet and noticed some Itu jibs in Perth request this as an essential? Ur braver than me hate flying haha Iam sure I'll get it one day though you've come this far xxx

I haven't done a critical care course as yet but plan to do one here. I don't know how it works in Perth (different states have different classifications of nurses) Here in Canberra, there are level 1 Nurses (equivalent of A4C band 5) and level 2 Nurses (equivalent of A4C band 6. For a level 1 position you don't need the course but to advance as level 2 you do.

The whole process is very stressful, or it may just be that I found it stressful as I had many additional stressors leading up to leaving the UK. Desperately trying to get our house renovated ready for rental ( doing all the work ourselves, me as project manager). During that time my mother in law became critically ill and got admitted to my Old ITU (so had to try to fit In hospital visits etc) , then she passed away 4 days before we flew. It was hell. It's all done and dusted now though, and we hopefully have tenants moving in to our UK hours next week. Fingers crossed it's all finally coming together.

Been off the site for a while but thought I'd pop in to check. Just to explain again, want to go to Aus for a year WHV, looking to register with AHPRA. But unsure of when to start the ball rolling. A while ago it was taking 8 months to get your reg with them. Is it still at the same length of time? There was a thread specifically for this but it has seemed to died since my last visit.

Thanks lads

Iam planning on goin April so just starting it shaughns20 will keep you updated with time frames, requested my University and NMC documents last week which need to be sent directly to AHPRA , applied for my international police check today, hoping to send other documents next week

Sorry to be a pain all has anyone supplied a successful CV to AHPRA, I need help I have never written a Cv and the template provided confuses me doesn't take much anyone got a guide I can follow that has been successful I would really appreciate it unsure of what I should include?

Thanks

Loulou

Hi xxlornaxx just wondering if AHPRA will accept the full outline of the degree from myself as my uni as sent it to me ? Think I have finally sorted everything .....

Thanks

Loulou

I submitted the course syllabus with the applciation as the university sent it directly to us, however they also said they would send something to AHPRA but they did not let us know what this was.

Hi sorry to be a pain, filling in the application for AHPRA and it asked for avid emcee in category A however as Iam awaiting grant do I leave blank??

Thanks

I just ticked the evidence box for section B and C, and left A blank ,however we did submit a certified passport copy with the application. The letter received states my partner needs to present herself in person with valid ID to finalise registration within the next 12 months.

Also make sure you have the latest form, I started filling this in during June, and the form changed in July!!

Hello! I, starting the APRHA application AGOS-40 and I have a few questions- I did try emailing APRHA but they didn't answer any questions I asked!

please help.....

Section D Q's 6 & 7

In this section do you require both my residential address and place of work and in which order. Question 6 asks for my residential address but question 7 asks for my principal place of practice in Australia-????? What address do I put where?

Section G

Since qualifying 18 months ago I have been employed by one hospital prior to this I was at university full time for three years and before that I worked within a company outside of nursing which has now ceased trading; therefore I am unable to provide a Statement of Service from them. How do I provide evidence of this that will suffice?

Question 17

I believe that my English competency is classed as within the Primary language pathway in terms of providing evidence for primary and secondary education- what evidence do I need to provide to prove this? (My primary schooling was in South Africa over 20 years ago).

Also so the part about indemnity insurance...am I right in thinking that the NMC provide our indemnity insurance so I can just tick the box yes?

Thank you you again in advance!

lara

Edited by Larad86

Section D Q's 6 & 7

In this section do you require both my residential address and place of work and in which order. Question 6 asks for my residential address but question 7 asks for my principal place of practice in Australia-????? What address do I put where?

Q6 put your home address, Q7 tick that your prinicpal place of work is you residential address as you are not over in Australia.

Section G

Since qualifying 18 months ago I have been employed by one hospital prior to this I was at university full time for three years and before that I worked within a company outside of nursing which has now ceased trading; therefore I am unable to provide a Statement of Service from them. How do I provide evidence of this that will suffice?

I do not have any experience here as I jsut provided hospital references, but as it is not nursing related i would guess this is not too important.

Question 17

I believe that my English competency is classed as within the Primary language pathway in terms of providing evidence for primary and secondary education- what evidence do I need to provide to prove this? (My primary schooling was in South Africa over 20 years ago).

This is a new question from July and i filled the form in in June therefore did not have to tick the box, although i did have to provide the evidence. I provided a letter from the examaning body stating that GCSE's are taught and assessed in English and are taught over 2 years of the 5 years during secondary education.

Also so the part about indemnity insurance...am I right in thinking that the NMC provide our indemnity insurance so I can just tick the box yes?

You need to tick Yes here as it is basically asking will you have cover when you work and you can not work with no cover, however NMC will not cover your indemnity insurance over there (nor in the UK - the NHS provides you this cover assuming you work for the NHS), you will need to get some before starting work. I think RCN does though if you pay for this.

Edited by mgreaves

Thank you @mgreaves that's all really helpful. I did also contact someone at WAGO who was very helpful. So she seems to think that if I provide a letter from each school stating that was taught and assessed in English and hopefully this would be suffice because I went to primary school around 25 years ago so have very little evidence because I didn't take exams. Also I have done the same for my secondary school and college the alternative would be to certify all my certificates (however I don't have actual copies of GCSE cents because I lost them ) How has everyone provided their education and English although I know this is a new part of the form as of August 2015.

With thy the uni transcripts do I just contact my university? Or do I have send specific form that they have on the AHPRA website.

From my understanding I need:

certified copy of passport

NMC to send confirmation of registration

uni to send transcripts

CV and statement of service from work- is there a template? (Sorry to ask I just find the AHPRA website flicks in and out of different links and before you know it you can't be back to where you were?????)

confirmation from schools and colleges of attendance

anything else??!! Going from everything I've seen its not going to be that simple I'm sure!!

Thanks again

lara

Hi Larad86 mgreaves is a star really helpful info this application has been harder than anything visa wise.... I completed IELTS to show my English competency. I attached the letter from the site to both uni and NMC for completion and they forwarded to AHPRA NMC charges £34 so if you are completing anmac skills assessment to add to form or they charge twice as they did with me, do this Adam because they take ages, they send form then you send back I attached the template letter with the request, then they forward to oz)

Certified list:

degree certificate and academic transcripts

clinical hours

letter stating pharmacokinetics etc

IELTS

passport

driving licence

bank statement

marriage licence

statement of service, just had mine done like a reference which stated my job role, employment length of time and hours worked

other documents not certified:

cv

fit 2 work

Sending mine as soon as I receive my certified copies back so fingers crossed, good luck.

Here is what I sent over:

Certified:

Degree certificate + transcript

Degree course outline (90 pages)

Letter from Uni explaining pharmacology etc.

Letter from Uni stating hours on placement

Letter from AQA stating GCSE's were taught and assessed in English with a transcript of results (School has closed down so had to go to the examining board!)

Work reference/testimonials each with a job description for each of the 3 jobs held since graduation

Passport

Driving License

Bank Statement + Credit Card

Not Certified:

Along with this was a copy of the Fit2Work cover page and a signed CV.

I had the NMC send the form of the AHPRA website along with the letter of good standing, and supposedly university said they knew what was required and said they would send the relevant documents directly without me providing detail.

Edit:

Once they receive this there is a lot of waiting with zero contact, I provided everything correct first time as the first contact was a letter of registration in principal, which took 2 months exactly to arrive from me posting the application.

For reference I did this on behalf of my partner, hence the dates below are regarding accountancy!

Edited by mgreaves
Additional Detail

Well thank you all again for your help!!

I have are a feeling that I'm going to have a problem with providing evidence of my GCSEs because I remember not having the certificates when I applied to university and they accepted a letter from my secondary school saying that I had achieved them and the results because I remember being quoted something like £300 to get the certificates re-issued. Also there were different exam boards for different subjects. Do you think if I found that letter that my school initially typed with my results and then a further letter saying I attended and was taught and assessed in English- this should be enough??

This pharmacological part...? When I contact the university do I just ask them to include this when sending my transcripts? Or do I ask them to write a letter explaining that pharmacology was part of my course?

Also so we have recently been offered some money to explore our options with a migration agent...any suggestions from nurses who have used migration services.

Thanks again!

Lara

Do you think if I found that letter that my school initially typed with my results and then a further letter saying I attended and was taught and assessed in English- this should be enough??

I did not send any GCSE certificates, and my partners GCSE's were form several examining bodies but we just sent the letter from one of them with a copy of the exam transcripts listing 5 GCSE's (she has more). The main point I asked AQA to write in their letter was that she was taught and assessed in English, basically the wording from AHPRA.

This pharmacological part...? When I contact the university do I just ask them to include this when sending my transcripts? Or do I ask them to write a letter explaining that pharmacology was part of my course?

When I sent an email to Uni I gave 3 basic bullet points (syllabus, clinical hours, pharmacology), they sent us an A4 page explaining pharmacology and the other relevant bits AHPRA needs, they referenced the syllabus as well.

Also so we have recently been offered some money to explore our options with a migration agent...any suggestions from nurses who have used migration services.

Who has offered you money, the migration agent? That sounds strange considering they would then charge you thousands of £'s to process it, not sure why they would give you money to start with. If you go with a migration agent ensure they are MARA registered, if not ignore them.

We are doing this solo, applying for a 189 visa using my qualifications and I am adding my partner to my application. We could do it the other way around, but then you need to involve ANMAC and that is more money!

Edited by mgreaves

Right ok- thank you. I will look into contacting the examination boards. And I will contact my uni on Monday- having spoken to them before they told me they are aware of the process and the requirements and I will just reiterate to them what I needt.

A family member has kindly offered financial support so that we can explore all of our options because initially we were going it alone and we were first off going to attempt PR on 189 but we do not have the full 60 points. I have attempted x2 IELTS tests 1 general and 1 academic I achieved 7's on the general and got 6.5 on the academic for writing so I am really reluctant to attempt the academic IELTS again. We therefore thought right we will just get working visas just to get out there and we will either be temporarily or permanently although it seems a long way round and a bit hit or miss.

Alternatively if I get registered with AHPRA I could do the modified assessment with ANMAC thereby omitting the academic IELTS and if need be retake the general test to attempt scoring 8 because I feel that is more achievable than scoring 8s on the academic test.

As you can see I feel exhausted just writing this all down so I feel that a bit of help and support with all of this would be beneficial to us. And I just don't want a silly mistake to mess things up!!

Edited by Larad86