NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to ask which order is best to start the ball rolling for PR visa - I'm thinking; IELTS, AHPRA, ANMAC? I start my first Nursing post soon, so thought book IELTS, apply to AHPRA because it takes so long, then when I have at least 3 months post reg experience, apply to ANMAC. The reason I ask is because looking through the posts, some do AHPRA first and some do ANMAC first. I just want to know is there any greater benefit of doing either one first? Cheers xx

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to ask which order is best to start the ball rolling for PR visa - I'm thinking; IELTS, AHPRA, ANMAC? I start my first Nursing post soon, so thought book IELTS, apply to AHPRA because it takes so long, then when I have at least 3 months post reg experience, apply to ANMAC. The reason I ask is because looking through the posts, some do AHPRA first and some do ANMAC first. I just want to know is there any greater benefit of doing either one first? Cheers xx

My plan is the same. Qualify in August, so will get the ball rolling with ielts first, ahpra then anmac once I've got the experience.. Good luck in your first post!

Carrie if you want me to send you a copy of the ANMAC checklist then send me a message on FB. You get an email with this when you pay the fee. I wish it was more readily available before the process as I would have held off getting my documents certified.

Any chance I could please get a copy of this, nmc is taking ages and would be good to get a head start on the paperwork? Also, I applied for a verification of registration certificate, the one that costs £34, but it said something about some agencies needing proof your registration is current - do u know if this is anything to worry about?

Cheers, Kymm

Hi all, Ive just submitted my AHPRA form and they received it yesterday. Is it best just to crack on with the ANMAC at the same time do you think or wait for AHPRA and do the modified assessment. What do ANMAC req documentation wise. I had all my docs certified for AHPRA and got an additional copy at that time for ANMAC. Any advise would be appreciated. Such a long winded complicated process!!

Have attached the ANMAC checklist I received when I lodged with them. As a disclaimer please note this is for the FULL assessment not the modified one, and was issued to me last January so I can't promise it's up to date, but it should help to give anyone looking to apply for full assessment what documents you need to start collecting.

I don't know why they don't put this list on their website it would be so helpful to people thinking about applying!

ANMAC Full Assessment Checklist.pdf

ANMAC Full Assessment Checklist.pdf

Edited by lounrich

Hi all, Ive just submitted my AHPRA form and they received it yesterday. Is it best just to crack on with the ANMAC at the same time do you think or wait for AHPRA and do the modified assessment. What do ANMAC req documentation wise. I had all my docs certified for AHPRA and got an additional copy at that time for ANMAC. Any advise would be appreciated. Such a long winded complicated process!!

depends on your situation I suppose, if you are not in a hurry you could wait until AHPRA give you approval and then do modified assessment, which is cheaper I think but not sure if it's quicker. ANMAC take about 3 months for a full assessment. Also worth bearing in mind that once you have AHPRA approval you have to present at one of their offices within 12 months I think, to complete your registration, so there will be a time constraint of 12 months for you to get your ANMAC and visas done so you can fly out in time to complete your registration (unless you're going to make a special trip just to activate your registration).

Also depends of your qualifications, if you're degree trained and/or anticipate no problems in getting registered then I'd say just go ahead and spend the money on the full ANMAC assessment asap, just to get the ball rolling a bit faster. However if you're unsure of getting AHPRA approval you might want to hold off until you've got AHPRA before committing any more money by starting ANMAC etc.

Edited by lounrich

Have attached the ANMAC checklist I received when I lodged with them. As a disclaimer please note this is for the FULL assessment not the modified one, and was issued to me last January so I can't promise it's up to date, but it should help to give anyone looking to apply for full assessment what documents you need to start collecting.

I don't know why they don't put this list on their website it would be so helpful to people thinking about applying!

Thank you so much for posting this - really helpful!! :)

Kymm

you don't register to each state any more, by being registered with Ahpra you can work anywhere in Australia..you can send your documnets to any office, some people choose which office to send it to by figuring out where would have less applications to speed process up! Dunno how well that works. I sent to Sydney and now work in QLD.

I chose the Adelaide office as I heard they were quick (took 8 days after receipt of all docs) however, due to family (in-laws) being there you wont see me anywhere near Adelaide haha. I did notice I posted my docs to Adelaide but some were scanned on in Sydney, I don't know if that's just the way it's scanned on the system. Adelaide are currently closed I believe for a refurb, not sure if it will effect time scales.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I'm new!

Only just thought of going to Australia in the last couple of days and now the idea is taking hold I'm absolutely overwhelmed at where to start!

Seems quite a minefield but reading all your posts have been brilliant - really helpful : ) congratulations to all of you who have got through it & made it over there!

Before I even start thinking about applying I need to get an idea of costs to see whether I can afford it ~ at this stage I don't know if this little dream is even feasible.

Can anyone give a guesstimation of how much the whole process would cost (AHPRA, IELTS, ANMAC, VISA, medical, police check, notary/court for documents, NMC verification certificate, postage) would I be right at thinking at least a couple of thousand pounds??

It's just me btw (36 yr old paediatric nurse currently living in London & employed on a children's ward)

Thanks!

Anna : )

Hi, does anyone know the exact cost for APHRA registration ? I saw $150 for application fee and then $220 for overseas nurses. Then it says you have to pay renewal fee at time of applying.

Anyone know the total cost ?

Exact cost is on the back of the form you fill out

Think it's 520 dollars for agos40

dont forget the criminal check fee as well

Edited by Wildrover

AHPRA cost me just under £300 in total but it was just before the new criminal checks.

Total cost for one person will probably equate to around £4000 just for the visa, ahpra, anmac, ielts, paperwork etc (maybe a little over estimated but perhaps safest way). However, also be warned you will need flight money, accomodation money on arrival as you may not start work for a few months, spending money, initial deposit for a rental property, deposits for utilities perhaps etc. All in total we are estimating a minimum spend of £16k for 2 adults and 3 children and perhaps £20k hopefully saved by the time we fly so we have a little extra in the bank. Our visa however is £4200 and flights have cost £2100 one way for 5 of us. So those costs add up.

As a single person you could couch surf for a while if you feel up to it.

My wife has done all this. Hard to give exact numbers as they change, but google latest costs for all the above for 1 person. It's all out there on Google.

Set up costs are also hard to guess, as it depends where you plan to go. Sydney is more like London prices, other cities a bit cheaper. Some suburbs v pricey, others less so.

If you don't have loads of responsibilities you could possibly wing it more until you get on your feet.

We arrive in 15 weeks and don't know exactly how much we would need to live on. A mate of mine said for Sydney for a basic amount of money per month for a couple/2 kid family you would need $7k a month. Probably 2 months worth (minimum) to keep you going until you can work.

It's a bit of case of 'how long is a piece of string'. Not everyone needs to buy lots of new stuff on arrival, cars etc, but there is probably a minimal viable amount you should arrive with. That $7k pm figure might be it.

Edited by Captain Roberto

Really helpful post - thank you!

I'm still in the very early stages but one idea I had was to find a live in au pair job ( I'm a qualified Nursery Nurse) just an idea - thought it might be easier to apply and interview for jobs once I'm there.

Also would hopefully give me a little time to find my feet - I would just be looking at a very basic au pair set up - accommodation in return for some flexible childcare so would hopefully have plenty of time to view rentals, go to appointments, interviews ect.

It all seems such a huge process, I got the ball rolling yesterday by requesting a verification form from the NMC, also emailed my uni requesting transcripts - they replied to say there was a £35 fee & the transcript would detail modules I'd passed & the award I've achieved they also asked if there was any forms from ApHRA that need to be completed by them - from what I've researched online I couldn't think of anything but I'm worried if there's something I've missed

any advice welcome - thank you!

I applied for my nursing registration with AHPRA in November 2013, after 6 months of gathering further information for them because of a change in guidelines, I was notified in August 2014 my application had been rejected. I was currently living in Brisbane at the time with a permanent residency. I was told i could appeal which i did and it had to be entered by 31st October 2014, since then it has been withdrawn from panel twice. It was meant to go again on 5th March but up to yet Ive heard nothing. Im now back in the UK because i couldnt work in OZ with no registration. Is anyone else going through the same? Im so frustrated and desperate to get back over there. My appeal was rejected because I have a diploma and not a bachelor degree which you now need. but if they had told me this in the first instance i could of upgraded while iv wasted all this time waiting to hear from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, im re registering with ahpra with form agen40 as lapsed in 2013 (stupidly..)

So have: notarised aus passport, uk drivers and citizenship cert, uk diploma nursing, uk Bsc midwifery certs and transcripts, stat dec stating education was in english, cv signed by both nursing and midwifery managers (agreeing to skills competent in) they also signed the e-learning print offs.

So just waiting for my employer HR to give me statement of service and complete my 5 years of uk experience. Fit2work reference page number printed off and attatched...so just waiting for nmc verification. ..but its only been 2wks. And it is easter...

My cpd was e-learning and a self designed table with date/subject/format/time taken

So I think......im ready to send it off..!!!!!!!!

Hope to be back in Melbourne for November.

But who knows..