NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

There may be some hope at last for UK diploma nurses (from mental health, childrens and learning disability nursing branches...)

This has been uploaded on the NMBA website under the FAQ section and I have also been following AHPRA's twitter feed which confirms this. Take a look at question 9 on the following link

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/FAQ/FAQ-IQNM-migration.aspx

I hope this helps with some peoples worries/anxieties - I'm currently awaiting an outcome from my application, it went to the NMBA board on the 07/08 and I was told I would have an outcome in 2-3 weeks but AHPRA now have a backlog of getting the outcomes sent out (shocking I know...), I don't think I've ever come across a government body with as many backlogs as AHPRA!

Here's hoping for positive results for everyone.

Joe :)

There may be some hope at last for UK diploma nurses (from mental health, childrens and learning disability nursing branches...)

This has been uploaded on the NMBA website under the FAQ section and I have also been following AHPRA's twitter feed which confirms this. Take a look at question 9 on the following link

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/FAQ/FAQ-IQNM-migration.aspx

I hope this helps with some peoples worries/anxieties - I'm currently awaiting an outcome from my application, it went to the NMBA board on the 07/08 and I was told I would have an outcome in 2-3 weeks but AHPRA now have a backlog of getting the outcomes sent out (shocking I know...), I don't think I've ever come across a government body with as many backlogs as AHPRA!

Here's hoping for positive results for everyone.

Backlogs!!!

APHRA is meant to be a Professional Regulatory Government Body representing a Caring Profession and they themselves are the total opposite

'this comment is based on personal experiences'

The backlog is huge! I applied in October 2013 and have only just had a letter 2 days ago. They've denied my registration on the basis that I am a Diploma nurse but I'm waiting to hear from them about the new changes that grant mental health, paediatric and LD nurses registration with supervision as I am an RMN.

They've referred me to do the IRON bridge course but the only places that do this in WA charge $12000 which most people, including me can't afford.

Hope you guys hear soon and it's good news!

My friend who is in Brisbane on a WHV has been advised by AHPRA that is is highly likely she will be granted registration. She is a Dip MH nurse and applied in October after the changes. So it looks like the are listening to the voices of people and admitting that they need to backtrack on some decisions. She said she will have to wait until she see's the grant till she believes it though. So happy for her, she is one of the best nurses I have met and she has had almost a year of a WHV ruined for her through the stress of this situation. I hope others start getting more positive news.

My friend who is in Brisbane on a WHV has been advised by AHPRA that is is highly likely she will be granted registration. She is a Dip MH nurse and applied in October after the changes. So it looks like the are listening to the voices of people and admitting that they need to backtrack on some decisions. She said she will have to wait until she see's the grant till she believes it though. So happy for her, she is one of the best nurses I have met and she has had almost a year of a WHV ruined for her through the stress of this situation. I hope others start getting more positive news.

Hi Jac, did your friend get assessed by ANMAC prior to lodging her application? I didn't get assessed by ANMAC as I was told that I didn't have to with my partner Visa. AHPRA have told me they will register Nurse's who applied before Feb but only if they were granted a skilled workers Visa and had an ANMAC assessment which means they still want me to do the IRON programme.

No she hasnt registered with ANMAC, she is on a WHV. A few weeks ago she had been told the news you have that she would have needed to have submitted to ANMAC in order to be considered. She had almost given up. She joined a group in June that have been petitioning MP's etc and it looks like they are getting somewhere.

Well, after applying to AHPRA at the end of January, today I finally received the email with the proposal to refuse my registration on the basis that I am diploma trained. Offering me a referral for a bridging program, which by the time you've shelled out for that, student visa and living expenses is not a viable option. I have enrolled with the open university, and will begin my post registration BSc top up degree in October on a full time basis (distance learning as well as working full time), so hopefully this time next year I'll be ready to start the whole exhausting process again!

On the positive side, the only point they raised to dispute my eligibility was the qualification itself, which means that I provided the correct evidence to meet the other relevant criteria, which will help somewhat for round two...

Well, after applying to AHPRA at the end of January, today I finally received the email with the proposal to refuse my registration on the basis that I am diploma trained. Offering me a referral for a bridging program, which by the time you've shelled out for that, student visa and living expenses is not a viable option. I have enrolled with the open university, and will begin my post registration BSc top up degree in October on a full time basis (distance learning as well as working full time), so hopefully this time next year I'll be ready to start the whole exhausting process again!

On the positive side, the only point they raised to dispute my eligibility was the qualification itself, which means that I provided the correct evidence to meet the other relevant criteria, which will help somewhat for round two...

Hello nursealex, I too have applied to open university in October to do the top up degree! I'm also working full time too, think we are in for a tough year but needs must eh! Good luck with your course! X

Hello nursealex, I too have applied to open university in October to do the top up degree! I'm also working full time too, think we are in for a tough year but needs must eh! Good luck with your course! X

I am about to complete my top up degree with cardiff uniiversity, just the disseration left so by May next year i wll be there so plan to start the visa process in january. Just done my IELTS and will complet my ANMAC before end of this year so not to slow the process and then after May/June its APHRA registration time, i just hope it doesnt take long as want to be over in oz by Jan 2016 at the latest. Good luck to all doing top ups

I was referred for the Bridging programme last week but AHPRA have since contacted me again to say that they are going to register me after all but it will be with restrictions. This applies to all Diploma Nurses that are qualified in Mental Health, Paediatrics or Learning Disabilities. A note will be placed on the system to say that we can only work in these fields (which is the same as the UK) and it will mean we will need to be supervised but haven't stated for how long. I'm awaiting further information at the moment and they have said that they are trying to push these applicants through asap (AHPRA speak for anything between now and next Christmas)!

Don't know how perspective employers will react to this?

Hi Lorna - don't suppose you know if the same is true for the adult nurses? I handed all my paperwork into ahpra, subiaco soon after arriving in Perth back in October. I too had the long wait and then the request for further information. I eventually found out my application had been referred to the board. Eleven months later, I found out my application had been refused due to my diploma status. I am currently appealing and have contacted the minister for health.

Hi cityboy

That's the same timeline as me. To be honest, it was the Subiaco office that messed me around in the first place otherwise I would have had my application in earlier than October! Unfortunately it only applies to mental health, Paediatric and learning disabilities at the moment. Apparently the supervision restriction is for 12 months so finding a job is still going to be difficult.

Which visa were you on when you applied? I was on a WHV at the time so it doesn't apply to me but it's looking like all those who had an ANMAC assessment prior to February this year will be registered. I know over East there has been a lot of campaigning and it's looking like a lot of people are going to be registered but I'm struggling to find people who are doing the same thing in Perth.

Edited by lorna84

Hi Lorna, we're on a pr visa (which we've had a while) so the amnac won't apply sadly. Think I'll try and contact the health dept by phone as I've had no response to the two emails I've sent.

Hi Lorna - don't suppose you know if the same is true for the adult nurses? I handed all my paperwork into ahpra, subiaco soon after arriving in Perth back in October. I too had the long wait and then the request for further information. I eventually found out my application had been referred to the board. Eleven months later, I found out my application had been refused due to my diploma status. I am currently appealing and have contacted the minister for health.

eek. harrowing wait for registration for all.. which minister for health are you thinking of contacting? i am a south Afican trained nurse and ANMAC passed me, i am just waiting for AHPRA to play the game too. i am moving to Aus next month and wonder if the reg will come through by then and if a minister/ Australian High Commisioner can help in any way. The final forms for internationally trained nurses were received in August..Suggestions?

Does ANYone have good news from AHPRA this year?

eek. harrowing wait for registration for all.. which minister for health are you thinking of contacting? i am a south Afican trained nurse and ANMAC passed me, i am just waiting for AHPRA to play the game too. i am moving to Aus next month and wonder if the reg will come through by then and if a minister/ Australian High Commisioner can help in any way. The final forms for internationally trained nurses were received in August..Suggestions?

Does ANYone have good news from AHPRA this year?

yes, wife applied Feb 2014 and received registration early Sept 2014. she rang them twice a week, sent emails etc

I think the time and motion people need to do an audit on APHRA - headless chickens comes to mind!!!

So today I received an email with the great news that I'm eligible to register! I'm a UK DipHE trained mental health nurse, so I've been registered with conditions of supervision - mostly its just saying I must be supervised in my practice for 12 months by someone who has been registered with AHPRA for 2 years with no conditions on their registration. I also have to complete an 'assessment' after 12 months to assess my performance against the National Competency Standards for RNs.

Still having to jump through AHPRAs hoops but at least I've got my registration after a year of waiting!

Hopefully this signals more good news to come for those waiting on their registration.

Good luck to everyone waiting - I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

Thanks for all your support