NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest NuriootpaSA

As late as May/Early June, some AHPRA Case officers were telling Nurses that the LOE had a 3 month Use by Date. This was raised with AHPRA by an associate of mine, because on their site, it says 12 months. On 10th June, AHPRA posted online that it was definately 12 months and their staff had been advised appropriately. Now, there are reports of LOE's reverting to the 3 months UBD to activate. It's a typical AHPRA muck up, their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. My associate has asked AHPRA AGAIN to clarify what is said on their site, what their official line is, what their staff are saying and what it states in letters going to nurses. Tony Abbott's and Alexander Downer's offices have also been made aware of this gigantic cock up by a so called gevernment department.

I doubt very much AHPRAs assessment will change afterall many overseas applicants withdegrees from their countries have been doing the bridging program for years. Australian nurses have to do the bridging courses if they have left to have a family and have not worked for 5 years (which is nothing, and another story.)

There is no major nursing shortage and therefore no pressure to import nurses, just some specialties are short of experienced nurses.

You guys however are probably making aware to many, a very big loophole and ANMC AHPRA disparagy and most likely ANMAC (btw, no nurse applicant has reported on forums to have ever had negative assessment) will change or Immi will stop giving IO out without nursing registration. Or nothing...

I would not hold your breath on changes to AHPRA assessment.. Some of the tweets to AHPRA I would imagine, are not doing your cause any favours.

Edited by ceridwyn

I doubt very much AHPRAs assessment will change afterall many overseas applicants withdegrees from their countries have been doing the bridging program for years. Australian nurses have to do the bridging courses if they have left to have a family and have not worked for 5 years (which is nothing, and another story.)

There is no major nursing shortage and therefore no pressure to import nurses, just some specialties are short of experienced nurses.

You guys however are probably making aware to many, a very big loophole and ANMC AHPRA disparagy and most likely ANMAC (btw, no nurse applicant has reported on forums to have ever had negative assessment) will change or Immi will stop giving IO out without nursing registration. Or nothing...

I would not hold your breath on changes to AHPRA assessment.. Some of the tweets to AHPRA I would imagine, are not doing your cause any favours.

Ceridwyn

Very experienced senior nurses with numerous qualifications and extensive CPD qualifications are currently in limbo or have been refused registration by ahpra. They have been misinformed and we are all frustrated that ahpra are looking at the word diploma rather than the course content. We are trying to convey to ahpra that registration should be about more than a piece of paper. Your right ahpra may not change but that does not mean we don't have a valid argument. I am not in a position to apply for ahpra as yet, but I am 100% in support of my fellow nurses .

hi. If my wife as the nurse is granted her 189 visa but myself and our daughter are also linked to it. Do we all have to go to Australia to validate it or can she as the skilled worker do it in her own. Just wanted to know in case we not ready because of selling the house

hi. If my wife as the nurse is granted her 189 visa but myself and our daughter are also linked to it. Do we all have to go to Australia to validate it or can she as the skilled worker do it in her own. Just wanted to know in case we not ready because of selling the house

Every visa applicant has to validate their visa within 12 months, she can go first, but you all have to go at some point prior to the 12 month expiry.

Edited by geordiegirl68
error

Thanks that was what I thought but wanted to confirm. 2 questions

1- can ny wife apply for Ahpra registration before applying for a visa so sge knows she will ve able to practice nursing once her pr visa has been granted?

2- how much is it to register for your registration with Aphra?

Thanks for this help georgiegirl68 very helpful. So while doing her Aphra application should she.do her ielts and skills test for Anmac? I thought they had a two year validity so once registration is given then she could submit her EOI as everything would be in place?

Yes, she can 'crack on' with everything, ielts was always the starting point, but I think AHPRA should be, before, like us, you spend thousands on your visa! Once AHPRA is done, she can apply for a modified ANMAC assessment, that can save a few hundred pounds, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that much! My advise, if you want PR visa, is to bite the bullet, and do AHPRA, and a full ANMAC assessment together before you apply for the visa, in case ANMAC change their criteria too. Then the DIBP will seem ok! The EOI and immigration, to be honest, although really thorough, and almost needing to know your inside leg measurement, was fine, as you have a named CO dealing with your case, they are efficient and responsive, and certainly in my case, approachable! Best wishes.

Guest NuriootpaSA

1. Really? Does advertising vacancies with sponsorship (inconsideration of current law), not dictate otherwise?

2. Do you have actual figures from hospitals and agencies to back this argument up?

3. "Some" is an extremely generic and vague term. You cannot write that unless you state which tweets.

You cannot go making such derogatory statements about individuals or groups without some form of substantiation. The very publication of such comments could lead to legal action if the target(s) of those comments deemed them to be libellous in any way!

Ceridwyn

I imagine most nurses would be happy if the 'loophole' was closed then they wouldn't have to waste thousands of $£ to get to Australia and then find themselves claiming benefits! Unless you think nurses spend years training and working to become highly skilled practitioners for no other reason than to migrate on a skilled visa then just live off centrelink payments. GET REAL. And until something is done to address this injustice then people should keep on tweeting and raising awareness as much as they can, because unlike you, most of us would try and support fellow nurses and stop them from having to go through this for nothing!!

Ceridwyn

I imagine most nurses would be happy if the 'loophole' was closed then they wouldn't have to waste thousands of $£ to get to Australia and then find themselves claiming benefits! Unless you think nurses spend years training and working to become highly skilled practitioners for no other reason than to migrate on a skilled visa then just live off centrelink payments. GET REAL. And until something is done to address this injustice then people should keep on tweeting and raising awareness as much as they can, because unlike you, most of us would try and support fellow nurses and stop them from having to go through this for nothing!!

Well said Kelly!!! Ceridwyn why are you so bitter towards us nurses trying to support each other?? AHPRA are giving an appalling service at the moment and people deserve answers. If they justify their decision to compare our 3 year course to a 2 year course then fair enough we will accept that, but the fact is they can't justify this because they are wrong. UK diploma is equivalent to AQF 7.

Guest NuriootpaSA

It depends on which Case Officer you get I think. I've heard stories of CO's telling candidates 3 months, being told by AHPRA (publiclly) that it's 12 months, and now letters going out, some with 3, some with 12. It's a complete joke. However, I understand from one of my associates that he has received a letter from Tony Abbott, and it looks as if things are being stepped up at ministerial level.

It depends on which Case Officer you get I think. I've heard stories of CO's telling candidates 3 months, being told by AHPRA (publiclly) that it's 12 months, and now letters going out, some with 3, some with 12. It's a complete joke. However, I understand from one of my associates that he has received a letter from Tony Abbott, and it looks as if things are being stepped up at ministerial level.

Holey moley, the union cannot get action of the plight of 1000's of Australian nurses that have taken 10 years off for family and now cannot be registered by AHPRA (need to do bridging program)and they cannot get the government to see that the way graduate nurses are being treated is why so many do not go on to have brilliant nursing careers cannot get jobs, massive health budget cutbacks and last year Australian nurses are now denied NMC registration and the government officials spoken to about it said it was the UK's decision and would not touch it and you and your mate can get the Australian PM to look at UK nurses plight in a couple of months!! ANMU need you are you thinking about emigrating.? Good luck everyone hope it does get resolved soon. ex UK early in life, lived in AU ever since.

Edited by ceridwyn

Hi all, have been lurking on this thread but little info to post. I applied to ahpra last december. I have a top up honours degree which has met their criteria however I have not been able to meet criteria 8 for pharmocology etc. post qualification cpd in medication etc and workplace assessment does not meet the criteria. So sadly even an honours degree in nursing will not guarantee registration. Some people earlier in the thread were asking about criteria 8. If you are still in the uk I would advise to organise it before trying ahpra. My case officer ssid only degree level modules done post qualification count. My diploma level intensive care course had pharmocology but this still didnt meet requirements.

Hi all, have been lurking on this thread but little info to post. I applied to ahpra last december. I have a top up honours degree which has met their criteria however I have not been able to meet criteria 8 for pharmocology etc. post qualification cpd in medication etc and workplace assessment does not meet the criteria. So sadly even an honours degree in nursing will not guarantee registration. Some people earlier in the thread were asking about criteria 8. If you are still in the uk I would advise to organise it before trying ahpra. My case officer ssid only degree level modules done post qualification count. My diploma level intensive care course had pharmocology but this still didnt meet requirements.

Hi Gaia

thats is a disgrace what they have done to you! So now they're finding loopholes to refuse you reg even when you a degree?? I really don't get what they're playing at. I think that they just don't want uk nurses anymore! I feel sick for you. Are you in oz or the uk?

So what sort of evidence will they need for criteria 8? I am a cardiology nurse about to complete my top up degree and worried about this. I have done a advanced life support course which talks about drug prescribing but other than that this phamocology element is a worry as I need to register to justify emigrating in the first place. Any tips from peeps who have been approved?

I'm starting to wonder if there is any point continuing with migration! My partner and I are both nurses. Both original diplomas approx 20 years ago and both have done post Grad degrees. Neither courses ever did much if any pharmacology! What should we do?

Hi All,

Some of you know that I'm a nurse here in WA and as a senior nurse take part in the recruitment process. We have been forwarded information today regarding internationally qualified nurse and midwives from AHPRA, It says that on Feb 10th the NMBA implemented a new model to assess the qualifications of international nurses and midwives and that the new model applies to all applications that were incomplete as at 7th October 2013 or submitted after that date.. October 8 2013 was the implementation date when the previously published NMBA framework for the assessment of internationally qualified nurses/midwives for registration became no longer in use and was removed from the national board website.

It states that this model does not affect applicants registered as a nurse or midwife in New Zealand

The gist of it is that you will now need a degree and to meet the registration standards to be registered. It also states that the model is consistent with the requirements of the National Law by a set of clear expectations about the educational standards to be met.

Ali

Hi all. So regarding criteria 8. Does anyone know what courses/units are accepted for this. I was thinking doing a OU course now to cover it before doing my AHPRA. Please help as this is our dream and don't want a technicality to ruin it