NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I am a degree qualified. AHPRA has considered my old IELTS however, for visa I take that a current one is necessary or shall say less than 3 years? So should I retake the IELTS now and submit for ANMAC? do you know which part of Australia has hospitals that would offer visa 457?

No these are the clinical ones that were signed by my mentors where u have to do 10 observed practice in each placement and fill in competences which are then signed by your practice mentor Uni don't jlo a copy of these as you just hand them in with your portfolio and get them back when it's marked.

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has had any feedback from any emails they have sent regarding AHPRA and Dip he nurses. I see that there is still no answers on Twitter to the AQF questions. Has anyone with a job offer spoken to the employer yet? Just want to know how many people in Aus are aware of the situation. Sorry about all the questions, just trying to see if anyone is listening to us and if there is anything else I can do to help the Dip HE cause.

Many thanks

Hi, I'm a RMN degree trained. Been in Aus a few months and working as a PCA (NA). I spoke to my caseworker earlier this week and following this she sent me an email saying my Qualifications have been approved and I would recieve a letter shortly. I thought this meant my reg was imminent. Then she responded to my email about this saying she was awaiting info from the NMC - puzzled as all my info has been given in! I contacted AHPRA for clarification. She's now replied to me stating that they are awaiting info from the NMC with reference to British registrations. Has anyone else heard this?

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a bit as have been busy e-mailing as many people as possible here in Australia re my/our situation.

For those of you new to the thread I'm a Diploma trained Nurse (Mental Health) waiting since Oct re registration. I've been living in Melbourne since March on a PR 190 State Sponsored Visa. I like many others went into my AHPRA application unaware of the imminent changes and when I found out (months post application) assumed I would be ok due to the ANMAC assessment.

So, 9 months down the line I'm still waiting for my answer....

From all the info I've read on all the Facebook pages, forums etc I haven't heard of any Diploma Nurses getting registration under the new guidelines, only of those being turned down. I know of Degree applicants who applied as recently as Jan (and good luck to them) who have had their letters, so that in itself speaks volumes.......

I have spoken to many Nurses, recruitment agents, Managers etc etc and they are ignorant to all of this and very shocked and disappointed, with all commenting on the great calibre of Nurses trained in the UK and Ireland.

Your comment Maria Garland re the NMC sending info re British registrations is interesting??

Good luck as always to everybody! xx

Edited by Kim Irvine

We've been asked by AHPRA if we could post the information below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I work in the communications team at AHPRA and we thought we might answer a few of the questions and ongoing issues that seem to have cropped up throughout this thread.

First of all, our apologies to those whose applications have been delayed as a result of the changes that have happened. We are working as hard as we can to process applications. However, due to the complexities of each individual application, the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (National Board) needs to review all documents with each application to make sure that our assessment is fair and consistent.

We understand your frustration and hope you appreciate that the assessment process takes time.

We’ve looked through the comments and discussions in this thread and would like to answer the ones that seem to be your core questions.

For starters, the latest information is available on the National Board website. You may also want to visit this page about the stages of an application which gives a lot more information on the application process.

The National Board’s website will always contain the latest information and our aim is to update the online information, particularly on the assessment process, with current information based on community feedback and any changes that happen.

Much of the material below is directly from the National Board’s website, so do check it out. If you have any questions please feel free to contact AHPRA or your registration officer.

Thanks to those sending in questions via our Twitter account – we’re working to reply as quickly as we can where possible. Keep in mind that, for privacy reasons, we can’t really discuss specific cases but we can talk to you about general stuff.

As mentioned, the National Board website is the main source of information, so we’ll generally link you to the right page(s) on that website for more information.

You will understand that the 140 character limit on Twitter makes it difficult to answer detailed or complex questions, or those about your specific circumstances. So if you have a question that needs a detailed answer it’s usually easier to either call us or make a web enquiry.

Which criteria will my application be assessed under?

The new criteria apply to all applications that were complete or received after 7 October 2013. If your application was fully complete before this date, the previous framework that existed at the time will apply.

This means that if your application was not complete by 7 October, you will be assessed under the new model.

Assessment of qualifications was put on hold while the new model was being implemented. The new model was finalised on 10 February 2014, and assessment of qualifications resumed at that time.

More info on the new model is available here on the National Board website.

Why is there a difference between ANMAC’s assessment and AHPRA’s?

The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) is an independent organisation that assesses the skills of overseas nurses and midwives who want to migrate to Australia under a general skilled migration program – see International services on the ANMAC website.

The National Board, in partnership with AHPRA, assesses eligibility for registration as a registered nurse, enrolled nurse or midwife in Australia in accordance with the National Law.

Acceptance for skilled migration by ANMAC does not guarantee that you will be registered with the National Board.

Read how applications are assessed on the National Board website.

I have a DipHE (+/- experience as a nurse). Will my application for registration be approved?

Your qualification must be assessed to be substantially equivalent to a Board-approved Australian qualification. For example, for registered nurses this must be equivalent to a bachelor degree as defined in the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 7.

A Diploma of Higher Education alone is generally considered to be AQF level 6 (along with advanced diplomas and associate degrees), which is below the required level for general registration. You may be eligible for a bridging program, which you will be referred to if your qualifications are assessed as AQF level 6.

For more information on the AQF and how it is used in assessment, visit this page on the National Board website.

Where your qualification leading to registration does not meet all eight qualification assessment criteria, the National Board will take into account any relevant subsequent nursing qualifications that may allow you to meet all requirements.

You can read about composite qualifications on the National Board website.

How long will my application take?

If you have already applied for registration and are wondering how long it will take to process your application, we regret that we are generally unable to give a reliable estimate of processing time. We will give clearer timeframes individually where they are available.

This is because we assess and process each application on an individual basis. The unique circumstances of your application will determine how long we take to process it.

Our goal is to resume our previous target of 4-6 weeks as soon as possible to assess and determine applications from internationally qualified nurses or midwives that are both complete and straight forward. Applications that are complex may take longer.

More information on processing time is available on the National Board website.

To enquire about the status of your application

To find out details about the status of your application, contact AHPRA directly or speak to your registration officer.

Hi all, I work in the communications team at AHPRA and we thought we might answer a few of the questions and ongoing issues that seem to have cropped up throughout this thread.

First of all, our apologies to those whose applications have been delayed as a result of the changes that have happened. We are working as hard as we can to process applications. However, due to the complexities of each individual application, the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (National Board) needs to review all documents with each application to make sure that our assessment is fair and consistent.

We understand your frustration and hope you appreciate that the assessment process takes time.

We’ve looked through the comments and discussions in this thread and would like to answer the ones that seem to be your core questions.

For starters, the latest information is available on the National Board website. You may also want to visit this page about the stages of an application which gives a lot more information on the application process.

The National Board’s website will always contain the latest information and our aim is to update the online information, particularly on the assessment process, with current information based on community feedback and any changes that happen.

Much of the material below is directly from the National Board’s website, so do check it out. If you have any questions please feel free to contact AHPRA or your registration officer.

Thanks to those sending in questions via our Twitter account – we’re working to reply as quickly as we can where possible. Keep in mind that, for privacy reasons, we can’t really discuss specific cases but we can talk to you about general stuff.

As mentioned, the National Board website is the main source of information, so we’ll generally link you to the right page(s) on that website for more information.

You will understand that the 140 character limit on Twitter makes it difficult to answer detailed or complex questions, or those about your specific circumstances. So if you have a question that needs a detailed answer it’s usually easier to either call us or make a web enquiry.

The new criteria apply to all applications that were complete or received after 7 October 2013. If your application was fully complete before this date, the previous framework that existed at the time will apply.

This means that if your application was not complete by 7 October, you will be assessed under the new model.

Assessment of qualifications was put on hold while the new model was being implemented. The new model was finalised on 10 February 2014, and assessment of qualifications resumed at that time.

The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) is an independent organisation that assesses the skills of overseas nurses and midwives who want to migrate to Australia under a general skilled migration program – see International services on the ANMAC website.

The National Board, in partnership with AHPRA, assesses eligibility for registration as a registered nurse, enrolled nurse or midwife in Australia in accordance with the National Law.

Acceptance for skilled migration by ANMAC does not guarantee that you will be registered with the National Board.

I have a DipHE (+/- experience as a nurse). Will my application for registration be approved?

Your qualification must be assessed to be substantially equivalent to a Board-approved Australian qualification. For example, for registered nurses this must be equivalent to a bachelor degree as defined in the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 7.

A Diploma of Higher Education alone is generally considered to be AQF level 6 (along with advanced diplomas and associate degrees), which is below the required level for general registration. You may be eligible for a bridging program, which you will be referred to if your qualifications are assessed as AQF level 6.

For more information on the AQF and how it is used in assessment, visit this page on the National Board website.

Where your qualification leading to registration does not meet all eight qualification assessment criteria, the National Board will take into account any relevant subsequent nursing qualifications that may allow you to meet all requirements.

If you have already applied for registration and are wondering how long it will take to process your application, we regret that we are generally unable to give a reliable estimate of processing time. We will give clearer timeframes individually where they are available.

This is because we assess and process each application on an individual basis. The unique circumstances of your application will determine how long we take to process it.

Our goal is to resume our previous target of 4-6 weeks as soon as possible to assess and determine applications from internationally qualified nurses or midwives that are both complete and straight forward. Applications that are complex may take longer.

To find out details about the status of your application, contact AHPRA directly or speak to your registration officer.

Oh well the highlighted bit has answered it all.... i was assesed on the olf Framework and now am terrified that when i arrive in Australia they might refused to activate my registration as am a Diploma nurse and will be stuck and not able to work.

Barbie, do you mean that you have you had your registration approved under the old framework, but your just waiting to provide the identity documents in person? If so then this should be fine, they can't grant you registration, let you travel and then withhold it surely. Ring them or contact your case worker, or tweet them even just to check. But I shouldn't worry, I think you've been just in the nick of time to get your registration by the sounds of it!

Cerberus, you still have not explained why our DipHE is assessed as AQF6, when it quite clearly meets all the specifications of AQF7? Please if you are going to communicate with us on this forum, explain why when using the same framework as ANMAC, you assess us so differently? And how you are justifying comparing our 3 year university course to an 18 month Australian one?? I see nothing on your post that explains this discrepancy! And as this is the reason MANY highly skilled nurses are being refused, we'd like an explanation! And we don't want to just be directed to 'another link' we want someone to clarify which specification has NOT been met? Because we are all reading the same AQF framework and the UK DipHE meets ALL specifications at AQF7, it is supposed to be used to compare! It would seem someone has just looked at the word 'diploma' and stopped there, rather than looking accurately at the course content of the UK DipHE, and seeing where it sits on the AQF!

Edited by geordiegirl68
error

Cerberus, you still have not explained why our DipHE is assessed as AQF6, ....

Did you not read the beginning of Cerberus' post?:

He is the Administrator of PIO and has nothing to do with AHPRA.

Guest The Pom Queen
I did, but if AHPRA want to 'comment' through someone else! They need to start providing the answer to the big question they have yet to answer!

We received the statement this morning. It is not for myself or Cerberus to answer questions on their behalf. It is no different to any media release.

I understand your frustration and as we now know they are reading this thread it may be wise to post your questions and see if they do reply. However like they say each case is done on an individual basis. So the information they give to you may not help anyone else.

Guest The Pom Queen

After coming across numerous scams from people trying to find members personal details and directing them elsewhere ie websites, emails and Facebook we will be removing all external links to protect our members. If someone contacts you direct asking you to join a group, twitter feed or reply to an email address please let us know immediately and action will be taken.

That's fine, myself and hundreds of others are waiting to hear the answer to why our 3 year uni courses are seen as equivalent to an 18 month Australian one, ANMAC use the same framework (correctly) as a comparison tool, but AHPRA have not, despite being asked countless times on Twitter, why they have done this!

And with all due respect, I don't think you can truly understand our 'frustration' Pom Queen, to be assessed once, told Oz want you, invest 1000s of pounds on our visas, selling our homes, uprooting our families, then to arrive in a country that says, actually your not 'good enough' to work as an RN here despite having performed the role for 20 years in your own country!

Edited by geordiegirl68
error

But they are not assessing the UK diploma to an EN Diploma which if thry eere would be level 5.

Nobody takes any notice when I report this.

Australian nursing education 101: Up until around the early 80's nursing educstion took place in hospitals a type of apprentice system for 3 years. These nurses received what was called a hospital certificate, many are still practising today. Over the years some 'upgraded their education to a diploma some up to Bachelor of nursing, when that came in, as it was sprouked that without the academic qualification, no promotions and unable to do post graduate qualifications, this did not happen.

In the early 80's nursing went to higher education and only went into hospitals to do clinicals. This qualification was called the Diploma of applied science (Nursing) - this is the degree/diploma that would be near the UK diploma, took 3 years to do and was short of a Bachelor degree by 4 subjects- when I did nursing the Bachelor was coming in so we had an option of doing the extra subjects- there were 4 subjects for the degree. Those days under the new AQF this nursing diploma would be considered an associate degree AQF 6!

The diploma you keep comparing yours with is not the same as our old Diploma in Appled science (Nursing)

Which was the nursing qualification before the Bachelor degree that is in now. The AQF changed the name of things. Years ago the dilploma for Enrolled nursing would have been probably be called an advanced certificate, so you see your diploma and the 18 month EN diploma are worlds apart, your diploma is like the old RN nursing diploma. Bachelor of nursing for nursing took over mid 80! AS the nursing qualification and at the same time undergraduate nursing became strictly general trained and the 3 year psych nursing diploma finished.

Edited by ceridwyn

I am speaking for 100s of nurses, this isn't just my issue, as I'm sure you're now aware. If the UK were importing nurses only to refuse them the right to work, then having to pay them benefits, I'm sure the issue would be addressed! Instead after many have spent in excess of £15K, to get to Oz, we are refused registration, and asked (if we're lucky) to attend a bridging programme at a cost of a further $10-15K. And with regard to 'finding a way to get to Oz' I have my PR visa, and will be moving over! Whether I work as a nurse is a different matter!