NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi just to answer some questions. For those with top up degrees my degree is a top up degree done a couple of years ago so well after my initial training and although it took longer it does meet their criteria according to my case officer. For criteria 8 I was told last month I needed more evidence to meet the criteria, they requested detail such as number of hours spent on pharmocology how many hours were theory how many hours were practical eg drug rounds. So fairly specific and unfortunately my old school of nursing just don't have that level of detail. I haven't been officially refused by the board however the information my case officer requested can't be provided. So conversation this afternoon goes me asking if I can't provide the evidence you've requested I will be refused right? Reply can't say, up to the board to make the final decision each case assessed individually. Okay if I do get refused will I be referred to a bridging course? Reply can't say, final decision up to the board, each case assessed individually. Next question what about all my years of CPD, ENB 100 etc which show I continued to study pharmocology. Answer was repeat of the above. However a band 8 equivalent I know here pointed out that the board is made up of nurses and CPD will have more meaning to them than to my case officer. So they are about to receive about 100 pages of every drug study day I have ever done, I even have the first drug calculation test I sat as a new d grade back in the 90s before they let me loose on the drug round. To anyone in the Uk I would really advise a university pharmocology module!

So now im worried? i finish my degree in nursing 2016, and because i wont have a post grad in pharmacology i wont be able to register?

Is it a top up degree or a full degree your doing? If it's a full one then you should have done a pharmacology module of some description - which you'll need evidence for for criteria 8, and you should be fine.

Hi Everyone,

I received my looooog awaited golden email on Friday, never sunk in till today, (letter of eligibility from AHPRA). I applied begining of October 2013. I have BSC (Hons) degree in Mental Health Nursing. I applied for a job begining of November, short listed,interviewed end of November and got the job in December, so we are going on 457 visa. I applied for visas in January but was waiting for my registration. Got the visa this morning (happy days), saying that I really feel for everyone on this forum and hope everyone will be sorted out. Everyone on this forum kept me going, just the experiences you posted helped me keep my head afloat in order to see the shore. Diploma holders please keep fighting and don't feel undermined as you lot are good nurses whom I have learnt a lot from and will keep learning. If Down Under is your dream please don't give up, AHPRA is just one of life's challenges which one day you will overcome. All the best to you all.xxx

@Toongirl Congrats!- did Ahpra get back quite quickly with initial stuff then take ages to get back with final approval? My wife sent her application in and they came back with initial requests for extra stuff (driving license and breakdown of experience in more detail). We had the LOD of Anmac today, so was wondering whether there would be a 10 month wait for ours! Any info appreciated

Hi lads, sorry been reading the forums and can't find a straight answer, hoping posting here might work. Due to start my final year of BSC degree in general nursing [irish]. After I qualify I want to try gain 6 or 12 months experience before I head to OZ [just so I can get into more agencies/possibly better nursing job over there when the time comes]. Looking to head over first for a yeah on WHV. and mainly stick with Agency Nursing as a job [probably based mostly in QLD]. Looking into starting to get bits together for APHRA reg, and starting to save up fees now. But just wondering what parts I need to do. Will an ANMAC skills assessment need to be done, some threads lead me to believe it's only diploma grads that need this? Can't find online the criteria where this becomes necessary and it's a bit confusing so if someone could clear that up it'd be great. I've read the 8 criteria for application, but nothing there. Also I assume as I'm coming for Ireland I sidestep IELTS assessment. Also, what fees are necessary? Lots of different ones listed on the website, not exactly sure what the first time reg comes under.

Sorry if I have this in the wrong place, if someone could give me a push in the direction of where I should post it either that'd be great

Thanks (:

Hi Sandra, you will need to do both ANMAC and aphra as ANMAC is just used to assess you for a visa. Sorry IELTS will also need to be done for visa. Aphra is like the nmc here and even with a visa you will need that to work as a nurse over thee. Criteria 8 is causing me a lot of hassle too and I estimate the whole process will cost about £5000 once everything is done. It's confusing as he'll but keep on these forums and read on oz websites it does start to make sense eventually. I hope me and my family will get everything sorted and be there by January 2016 so good luck

Hi lads, sorry been reading the forums and can't find a straight answer, hoping posting here might work. Due to start my final year of BSC degree in general nursing [irish]. After I qualify I want to try gain 6 or 12 months experience before I head to OZ [just so I can get into more agencies/possibly better nursing job over there when the time comes]. Looking to head over first for a yeah on WHV. and mainly stick with Agency Nursing as a job [probably based mostly in QLD]. Looking into starting to get bits together for APHRA reg, and starting to save up fees now. But just wondering what parts I need to do. Will an ANMAC skills assessment need to be done, some threads lead me to believe it's only diploma grads that need this? Can't find online the criteria where this becomes necessary and it's a bit confusing so if someone could clear that up it'd be great. I've read the 8 criteria for application, but nothing there. Also I assume as I'm coming for Ireland I sidestep IELTS assessment. Also, what fees are necessary? Lots of different ones listed on the website, not exactly sure what the first time reg comes under.

Sorry if I have this in the wrong place, if someone could give me a push in the direction of where I should post it either that'd be great

Thanks (:

ANMAC is needed by ALL nurses wanting PERMANENT visas, diploma or degree. And you don't 'side step ielts' unless you have AHPRA registration first, in which case you can do a modified ANMAC assessment. ANMAC treat degree and diploma nurses equally, it is only AHPRA that have recently had issues with 'diploma' nurses.

Fees very much depend on what visa you are applying for.

Best wishes.

Was going for a working holiday (417) first to see how we go, if we like australia etc. [travelling with my boyfriend]. Sorry about the IELTS, I just thought I read somewhere that international nurses from certain countries [can't remember which exactly but Republic of Ireland was included] was exempt from it but ok I'll look into it further. So much information everywhere it's getting muddled in my mind. This is all so daunting I'm rethinking it and just thinking about going for a year and working normally in something else. Was enticed by the thought of more experience, working somewhere new etc. But it seems a lot more hassle than it's worth wow :/ Hope your applications are going well though

Edited by shaughns20

Every which way you look at it, it's not an easy process, Oz like to make you work for your dream. If you are only looking at a temp visa, then AHPRA will be all you need, so don't get hung up on ielts, that's just for PR visa applicants, can't help with cost of that one, as we have PR visa, which isn't cheap, but as you may have read despite positive ANMAC assessments, and PR visas, diploma nurses are being refused registration.

Do a little more research and the fog will clear!

Edited by geordiegirl68
grammat

Yeah to be honest, I did only start the real research few days ago. And it's just when you start off it's a bit foggy indeed. Yeah reading on here has scared me a little though haha, lot of negative stories. Hopefully It'll become more clear, thanks a million though! All the best with your application, thanks so much geordiegirl68! (:

You're welcome, you will find plenty of advise and support on this and other forums. Don't worry about the horror stories, that is only affecting us diploma nurses, regardless of our years of experience, and skills, we are being refused registration, newly qualified degree nurses however, can get registered, almost on graduation, so you will be absolutely fine.

Yeah I've noticed that. Which is fairly ridiculous. I want to get at least 6 months experience before I leave anyway, hopefully a year. But I don't see how someone who hasn't actually had working experience get in easier than someone who has years of experience. Clearly the people with the experience are better candidates? I know fair enough we may have more up to date modules technically, but surely a bridging programme should be efficient. Which the consensus on here seems to be it's not? (hope I've gotten that right). I don't get it at all, you guys should be top of the list to be honest, best of luck though, hope it's everything you're looking for

Unfortunately the bridging programme needs l to be undertaken in Oz and is pretty expensive. Another example of how they rinse you for every penny along the way when you want to migrate these days.

Yeah they really don't like to make it cheap anyway. In my internship I'll be getting 6.50€ an hour. All of that will have to go in the savings pot towards Reg and flights. Thank god I live at home :huh:

@Toongirl Congrats!- did Ahpra get back quite quickly with initial stuff then take ages to get back with final approval? My wife sent her application in and they came back with initial requests for extra stuff (driving license and breakdown of experience in more detail). We had the LOD of Anmac today, so was wondering whether there would be a 10 month wait for ours! Any info appreciated

Thanks Matthewroberts and congrats on the LOD of Anmac. AHPRA had requested me to provide evidence of Criterion 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 on 18/06/14 and gave me up to 18/07/14. I provided the evidence and kept contacting my case worker who never replied to me till I received my registration. Hopefully it won't be long for your wife. Good luck. x

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like ANMAC are now going to the same page as AHPRA according to website, new standards for assessing IQNM must be AQF 7.

Sorry to disappoint you Ceridwyn, as I know you love to heap misery on us, that hasn't changed, they have always required AQF7, and that is the at the very root of our argument, any UK diploma nurse who has been through ANMAC, has been assessed as AQF7!

Edited by geordiegirl68
error

My bad, it is new critera of bridging programs, graduates will have at the end graduate certificates and must be provided and about time too, by a high er prrovider of education such as a university!, or supervised by,

Edited by ceridwyn