MELBOURNE OR PERTH

MarkLdownunder

Im currently living in Melbourne in a lovely suburb leafy (Rosanna)! my wife and i have great well paid jobs, we have a holiday home in Inverloch and life is good..... But i have got it into my mind that Perth life might be better and I'm keep to get peoples thoughts.

We don't have any family connections in Melbourne and have some friends but only a couple a ones I would consider close. 

Primary drivers..

- Weather

- Beaches

-Outdoor lifestyle the weather supports

-Cheaper housing as we live in a 3 bedroom and have 3 children so an upgrade is a must whatever happens. 

-Better for families with young kids. 

-House with a pool and weather to support it. 

I should add that the Cons in my mind are below

- Work opportunities for me are less

-Might not like the area we are in as much 

-Kids having to adjust in a new school eldest is 6 (Prep)

-Starting again on all levels. 

- Might not like Perth as much as Melbourne

-Less things going on 

-Isolation (Not that we travel that much out of VIC)

-Spiders HAHA 

I'd say the solution is to take a holiday of at least two weeks in Perth, but don't treat it as a holiday.  If you spend Monday to Friday all day at the beach, of course you'll think it's better than Melbourne.   Instead, do some work during the day -- look at property, research suburbs and schools etc. Book a holiday let not a hotel so you have to go shopping and cook meals. 

If you or your children have hobbies, check out whether there are good clubs/groups for that hobby in Perth.   Don't assume -- for instance, in Sydney we did modern ballroom dancing and assumed we'd find groups easily in Melbourne.  We haven't, because in Victoria, what they call 'ballroom' is something different (which we'd call sequence). That could've been a deal breaker if we'd been serious competitors. 

I would also say that you should let work be the decider.   If you can get a good job there, then make the move.  Don't risk making the move without a job in place.  No point moving for a cheaper house if you end up earning a whole lot less, or are unemployed for a long period.

• Like 3

But then you have been here several times already. So you  most likely to know what goes down here. Loads of Vic's have made the move over recent two years. Vic number plates are everywhere in inner city where I live. (hence must be an attraction, wasn't the case previously) 

If you don't want a bigger city vibe, better dinning places, culture  and exhibitions , with the weather and a back yard pool being your preference, then Perth will do you fine. Not forgetting far less to do in Perth. 

If you don't mind a less cosmopolitan environment, quiet often indoors (curtains drawn obviously even in day time ) limited night life and stand offish people , a little paranoid type of people then Perth may just suite. 

Edited by Blue Flu

3 hours ago, MarkLdownunder said:

Curtains drawn, paranoid, stand off type of people! 😆 Maybe you should be making your way to Melbourne hahaha

Thing being a lot of Victoria is over here. Not necessarily blaming them for the drawn curtains,  but some do  contribute to proceedings. As I wrote Perth is for a certain type. My neighbours are Vic's. They had visitors to which I overheard the young lady's comment with regards to life as she had to date found in Perth. "it's a different world over here". I can't argue with that. 

I gave a fair account of Perth. I am from here so do have a vested interest in how things have fanned out. Obviously could have included more to the OP , but as they know Perth from regular visits to this fair city. 

Perth and WA does indeed have a big drug problem. We endure the highest death rate in the nation on a per capita basis. I think that is something to be noted. We are with Adelaide the Ice capital of the world. That may or may not be an issue either way to you. But interesting what happens here after the official rhetoric, is a denial or more likely gas lighting or silence. 

Now outside of that Perth can appeal for those wanting a quieter lifestyle . It has almost the worlds best climate (perhaps a little too hot in summer for a period) the beaches are good, not quite the best I've seen but more than passable. People in my experience keep to themselves, but that is hardly a Perth thing. 

It would not suite those seeking an active night life It is somewhat Bogan , especially certain suburbs. But appeals to a growing diversity. Not sure just exactly what you are seeking to know. 

Not sure if I would leave Melbourne if well positioned though .

26 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

So stay clear of Leederville! 

I was looking at Hilary's, Woodvale and Mullaloo anyone familar with those areas if not Coogee or Rockingham! But Rockinham is so cheap something has to be wrong with that place! 

There is nothing wrong with Leederville, it’s a very expensive area. Hilary’s and surrounding suburbs are lovely, family areas - I’ve never seen the attraction in Rockingham and Mandurah, too far from the city for me. Take no notice of the critics on here, decide what’s best for your family and if it’s Perth give it a go.

• Like 1

I live in south Mandurah and more than happy. It takes 90 minutes to get home from Optus after a Dockers game but I can live with that to live in a quiet area. My children came over just a little older than the OP and they've made friends, settled in easily and are generally happy. 

There are a couple of rougher areas of Mandurah though, but I just stay away from them - much like any big town/city.

• Like 1

We moved to Perth from Brisbane at the start of the year and I love it so far. Been working a bit too much to get lots of experience but able to cope with the workload due to the lovely environment. We are in Subiaco so I can walk to work (hospital) alternating with driving our daughter 10mins to school then 10-15mins back to work. Bike paths are pretty good for nice loops around the Swan river or further afield South or across to the hills. Generally cycling not as varied/interesting as Brisbane. However, beaches more than make up for that and the Swan river is unbeatable for kids' water sports.

We have bought in Cottesloe for a move next year to somewhere with a little bit of work needed but a 500m walk to the beach and 7Km bike path to work. There are great coffee shops both there and in Subiaco. These two areas would be my top choices for where to live and we plumped for being by the beach at the expense of livelier night life and easy access to the city that Subi provides.

We're completely isolated from any issues with drug misuse outside of work.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DrDougster said:

We moved to Perth from Brisbane at the start of the year and I love it so far. Been working a bit too much to get lots of experience but able to cope with the workload due to the lovely environment. We are in Subiaco so I can walk to work (hospital) alternating with driving our daughter 10mins to school then 10-15mins back to work. Bike paths are pretty good for nice loops around the Swan river or further afield South or across to the hills. Generally cycling not as varied/interesting as Brisbane. However, beaches more than make up for that and the Swan river is unbeatable for kids' water sports.

We have bought in Cottesloe for a move next year to somewhere with a little bit of work needed but a 500m walk to the beach and 7Km bike path to work. There are great coffee shops both there and in Subiaco. These two areas would be my top choices for where to live and we plumped for being by the beach at the expense of livelier night life and easy access to the city that Subi provides.

I've never been to Subiaco but I like the sound of the place. It conjures up fond memories of that game with plastic footballers from the 70s.

As a matter of interest how does compare Perth to Brisbane? I lived in the latter for many years, but Perth is the only other city in Australia that I've ever fancied living in/near.

On 05/09/2023 at 09:21, Blue Flu said:

If you don't mind a less cosmopolitan environment, quiet often indoors (curtains drawn obviously even in day time ) limited night life and stand offish people , a little paranoid type of people then Perth may just suite.

On 05/09/2023 at 15:20, MarkLdownunder said:

Curtains drawn, paranoid, stand off type of people! 😆 Maybe you should be making your way to Melbourne hahaha

I've just realized that our blinds at the front of the house are nearly always closed. I thought this was to keep the heat out, but maybe the wife is operating a clandestine meth lab that I don't know about? If she is, I'm not getting any commission!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I've just realized that our blinds at the front of the house are nearly always closed. I thought this was to keep the heat out, but maybe the wife is operating a clandestine meth lab that I don't know about? If she is, I'm not getting any commission!

OMG thats a point, my MIL advised me when I moved to Brisbane to always keep the curtains closed to stop the furniture fading. I refused, as I hated living in the dark, but I know whenever I went out, hubby closed them all.........!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

OMG thats a point, my MIL advised me when I moved to Brisbane to always keep the curtains closed to stop the furniture fading. I refused, as I hated living in the dark, but I know whenever I went out, hubby closed them all.........!!!

According to Flo that only happens if you have daylight savings. So QLD is safe.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Deleted, don’t want the thread to go off topic

Edited by ramot

I think you have chosen some amazing areas but buying close to the beach in Cottesloe must be in the $3 million plus range and out of our reach! I would love to hear more about the differences you have found vs Brisbane in your first year? Pro's and Cons etc?

On 09/09/2023 at 17:40, DrDougster said: