Does anyone else feel homesick when...

Wanderer Returns

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

...the World Cup or Euros are on?!

I know it sounds sad, but I so miss the buzz when England (or Scotland, Ireland or Wales) are on a roll. I imagine the atmosphere back in Blighty is amazing at the moment. 

Oh dear, I feel a sicky on Monday morning approaching!

In case anyone doesn’t know You can load Stan for a free trial at the moment so I can watch all Wimbledon live and someone has said  the England match will be on.?  I can only load it on my iPad, still trying to see if I can get it to work on the tv.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Fabulous atmosphere in England at the moment……..everyone humming « it’s coming home » and cars driving around with the English flag hanging out the windows!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

That was one of the best football games I've ever seen. It had everything. Absolutely brilliant, and massive well done to Southgate and the side 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Certainly miss the passion. Nothing like what found over there can be seen in Australia. A similar passion would have come out of Denmark if they had won. Hard not to miss.  

I just read that cases of domestic violence go up by 25% in the UK when England are playing and 38% when they lose.  Certainly is a passion to be proud of.

Miss it when major tournaments are on for the atmosphere. My son has been getting up at 3am for the games, thankfully, the semi didn't go to penalties as he starts work at 6am.  There is a bit of 'banter' at work for him as he works for Italians and is surrounded by them at work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peach said:

I just read that cases of domestic violence go up by 25% in the UK when England are playing and 38% when they lose.  Certainly is a passion to be proud of.

I wonder how many children are conceived on the other hand on an England win? 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Certainly miss the passion. Nothing like what found over there can be seen in Australia. A similar passion would have come out of Denmark if they had won. Hard not to miss.  

You obviously haven’t been in Melbourne at Grand Final time…

4 hours ago, Peach said:

This is nothing compared to the cases of domestic violence every time the Old Firm play.   Along with the rampant sectarianism of course.

14 hours ago, ramot said:

In case anyone doesn’t know You can load Stan for a free trial at the moment so I can watch all Wimbledon live and someone has said  the England match will be on.?  I can only load it on my iPad, still trying to see if I can get it to work on the tv.

@ramot thanks for the heads up - I will check that out for Wimbledon. You can watch the final on the Optus Sport website for free - they lived streamed the semis and the final for free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kungfustu said:

the new song is "sweet caroline" V the Germans....I was in there somewhere behind the goal and last night against Denmark from my phone😂

A52BBADD-E0A1-40C7-8BEB-84779470FA81_2_0_a.mov

Absolutely love it! #totalenvy! There's one lad with a mask on. Bet his mam told him, "Don't go out without your mask on!" 😄 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I know it sounds sad, but I so miss the buzz when England (or Scotland, Ireland or Wales) are on a roll. I imagine the atmosphere back in Blighty is amazing at the moment. 

Don't feel homesick but I enjoyed the game against Denmark. I dowloaded it as we don't have Optus. Good thing about downloading is the guys who rip it are good enough to take the half time break out and no add breaks.

Surprised how good the English team are. Don't even know who half the team are but best English performance I've ever seen. Who'd have thought England would have a couple of centre backs who can really play, happy with ball at their feet and not just be hoofing it down the ground. Some really skillfull players and all of them working hard, looking like they wanted the ball, playing with confidence.

The penalty might have been a bit lucky but they deserved to win.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Don't feel homesick but I enjoyed the game against Denmark. I dowloaded it as we don't have Optus. Good thing about downloading is the guys who rip it are good enough to take the half time break out and no add breaks.

Surprised how good the English team are. Don't even know who half the team are but best English performance I've ever seen. Who'd have thought England would have a couple of centre backs who can really play, happy with ball at their feet and not just be hoofing it down the ground. Some really skillfull players and all of them working hard, looking like they wanted the ball, playing with confidence.

Agree, its great to actually see players playing for England who actually want to play for them and look like theyre enjoying it.

What a change from the 'golden generation' who (Beckham and Ferdinand apart) didn't seem to give a toss about playing for their country and remember even bang average players like Jamie Carragher openly saying he always put club before country and didn't really enjoy playing for his country.

Cant help but wonder if some of these no marks are looking at whats happening now with some regret.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Johnny Kash said:

Agree, its great to actually see players playing for England who actually want to play for them and look like theyre enjoying it.

What a change from the 'golden generation' who (Beckham and Ferdinand apart) didn't seem to give a toss about playing for their country and remember even bang average players like Jamie Carragher openly saying he always put club before country and didn't really enjoy playing for his country.

Cant help but wonder if some of these no marks are looking at whats happening now with some regret.

I'm pretty sure most still wanted to play for England but they never had a side that was good enough. There was always extra pressure on the few world class players England had. The others played like they didn't want the ball for fear of making a mistake.

The team they have now all seem to have confidence, want the ball and have confidence in the players round them.

Even the subs are raring to go when they get the chance. I feel a bit sorry for Jamie Vardy, when Leicester won the league he was probably the best striker in the country at the time, he's carried on scoring but doesn't seem to be part of the England picture. Oh well, the manager seems to have a plan and know which players he needs.

Should be a good final.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I was born almost exactly 9 months after 1966. My dad hated football but my mum loved it, so it must've been all her doing! 😄 

If both had experienced the same love, most likely you'd be at least a twin now., !966 and all that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

A 'bit lucky' ? One can understand the dismay of the Mighty Danes. The booing of the Danish National Anthem was poor form. But upwards and onwards. England now against the masters of diving, Italy. Should  be a fascinating game 

My son’s friend is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!  Sounds such a lot but it will be such a memory.  You’d pay that for a holiday so why not if you can afford it I guess.

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm pretty sure most still wanted to play for England but they never had a side that was good enough. There was always extra pressure on the few world class players England had. The others played like they didn't want the ball for fear of making a mistake.

The team they have now all seem to have confidence, want the ball and have confidence in the players round them.

Even the subs are raring to go when they get the chance. I feel a bit sorry for Jamie Vardy, when Leicester won the league he was probably the best striker in the country at the time, he's carried on scoring but doesn't seem to be part of the England picture. Oh well, the manager seems to have a plan and know which players he needs.

Should be a good final.

My sons mate is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!

20 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Absolutely not....but then I've no interest whatsoever in football and most sports. I'm more intetested in Ash Barty and her first Wimbledon final. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Should be a good final.

eh? never had a side good enough? from 2000 to about 2010 we had a team littered with world class players, scholes was picked out by Zidane as the best player he has played against, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Owen, Shearer, Rooney how long have you got.....youv'e been out out of the scene for way too long Paul to know much if anything about our England team.....having the players was never an issue.....in fact the problems back then were not only the rivalry between clubs but trying to fit all these world class players into one team.....Gareth has changed the whole feel.....there is a unity now that wasnt there 10 or 15 years ago.....no rivalry and I think this generation of young people have a different outlook to past generations and that rubs off on the pitch.....oppositions always new they could get under the skin of one or two of our players and get a reaction......that doesnt happen anymore.....Italians will be a whole different proposition and we will need to be at our absolute best and need a big big chunk of luck to come through it.....if we win you can dine out on your English heritage for a few years Paul.......................................................through gritted teeth😂

• Like 2