Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

10 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Seriously, what’s not to like about extra hours of daylight to enjoy outdoors?

I guess that depends on where you live in Australia.   I understand why Tasmania and Victoria might like daylight saving,  but Queensland, WA and the NT are so much hotter during the summer, and what keeps us going is the fact that when the sun goes down we can cool off.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lavers said:

I loved it in summer (when sunny) I was usually up at 4:30 going out for a run or bike ride.

As you say though winter is long, the run upto Xmas was fine but the minute xmas was over it just seemed a drag.

It gets light at 4.30am in summer in Brisbane too. Unfortunately it also gets dark at 7pm because we don't have daylight savings time here in Queensland 😢 

8 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

It gets light at 4.30am in summer in Brisbane too. Unfortunately it also gets dark at 7pm because we don't have daylight savings time here in Queensland 😢 

Because it fades the curtains…

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Not heard of that in WA.   Mind you there are a lot of shops/products that don't make across the Nullabor in our direction!

Shiploads hasn't even got across the Bass Strait to Victoria yet. Their website shows 13 stores all in Tasmania. I think it'll be a long time before they get across the Nullabor.

Day light savings is a genuine pet peeve of mine. 

Cheap food, grocery/eating out. Some foods in particular, skips, wotsits, decent scotch eggs, decent pork pies, Bisto gravy that doesn't require taking out a mortgage etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I think you'll find that's been abolished in the UK too. Apparently a 1st class stamp is now 85p ($1.55).

Parcels and packages are a lot cheaper though. There is a lot more competition. I used to sell quite a lot of eBay in the UK. Selling stuff here now and the price difference is notable. 

31 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Parcels and packages are a lot cheaper though. There is a lot more competition. I used to sell quite a lot of eBay in the UK. Selling stuff here now and the price difference is notable. 

Probably because its the cost of logistics in conveying postage items across a continent, as compared to a little country.    

• Like 2

I don’t miss the long summer days or the short winter days in the UK. I go to bed early and feels alien with the sun still up. I remember as a kid hating it too. 

It’s nice that here in WA we get at least 10 good hours of daylight in the middle of winter. Especially on a day like today. 

Sorry for going off topic. This is what you do miss not what you don’t. 

I miss proper chippy chips not frozen ones or whatever it is we get here. 

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Why’s that?

If the UK moved permanently to Central Europe Time, children in Scotland would go to school in the dark in the depths of winter - there have always been safety concerns. For example;

Friday 20 December (Sunrise/Sunset times)

Edinburgh: 8.41am/3.39pm

Inverness: 8.56am/3.32pm

Mind you, should Scotland ever decide to leave the UK... 🤔

Edited by Wanderer Returns

28 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

If the UK moved permanently to Central Europe Time, children in Scotland would go to school in the dark in the depths of winter - there have always been safety concerns. For example;

Friday 20 December (Sunrise/Sunset times)

Edinburgh: 8.41am/3.39pm

Inverness: 8.56am/3.32pm

Mind you, should Scotland ever decide to leave the UK... 🤔

I remember when they tried it one year when I was at school.   It was horrendous.

• Like 1