Changing of plugs

North to South

I’m sure this has been covered plenty of times, but for new arrivals like me and with ,my container arriving in the next few days full of electrical items I wanted to know whether I am permitted to change the plugs, or do I need to call an electrician to do this.  I can easily change plugs myself, have done all my life in the UK, but moving to a new country, just not sure what most people do when they’ve arrived, so appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, North to South said:

I’m sure this has been covered plenty of times, but for new arrivals like me and with ,my container arriving in the next few days full of electrical items I wanted to know whether I am permitted to change the plugs, or do I need to call an electrician to do this.  I can easily change plugs myself, have done all my life in the UK, but moving to a new country, just not sure what most people do when they’ve arrived, so appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

Short answer, no, you can't. You need a sparky.

• Like 2

By the book, you should use a sparky but after 14 years here i am yet to meet anyone who has called a sparky in just to change a plug. We didn't ship much out with us when we came, but for the couple of electrical items we did bring, i just bought replacement leads.

Cal x

30 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Yeah. I forgot about the many house fires around the world caused by colour blind people wiring their own plugs.

Colour blind or stupid...  My ex was a science nerd and when we were first married (in our early 20s) we stayed in rental places for several years while he did his studies.  The first thing he did when we moved in somewhere was test all the plugs and you'd be astonished how many were wrongly wired (so not actually earthed, for instance), or the wires had been so loosely done, they could've come adrift any minute.   It's such an easy thing and I remember my dad teaching us all when we were just kids, but I've met plenty of people my age who have absolutely no idea.

The problem in Australia is that most appliances have the plug sealed onto the end of the cable, so if you've got a plug that you attached yourself, it's very obvious. If you were unlucky enough to have a fire, even if it wasn't caused by the plug, the insurance would see it as a great excuse...

Edited by Marisawright

On 21/03/2021 at 22:44, welljock said:

None of those are badly wired plugs

I wouldn't expect it to be a "common" cause of fires these days, because I think it's far less common to change plugs on appliances these days.  In fact, I'm trying to remember why it was such a common thing when I was a kid...

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I wouldn't expect it to be a "common" cause of fires these days, because I think it's far less common to change plugs on appliances these days.  In fact, I'm trying to remember why it was such a common thing when I was a kid...

All the stuff ordered online these days could come with allsorts of plugs. People arriving from the UK or America abd brought their electrical stuff would need to change.

I used to work on defense contracts and some of the equipment we used was from the states. First thing we had to do was change plugs.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I would guess it was because electrical items were made to last back then, where as now you are lucky to get 3 or 4 years out of them. As an example,I remember my nannas washing machine lasting years and years. Here ive gone through 3 in 14 years!

Cal x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Plugs didn't come fitted on appliances as standard, it may have been one of Watchdog's first campaigns to change this

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Opening them up to change the fuse?

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

MArissa had said she remembered having to open up plugs often as a kid but couldn't remember why - which was in Scotland I think - so wondered if it was to change the fuse back then

I think so.  I recall in the 80s fuses being changed a lot at home.  My dad always seemed to be changing something.  Mind you he was a electrical engineer by trade.

• Like 2