Stranded Australians

starlight7

23 hours ago, Ken said:

They don't need to learn. They're NSW. They're "the gold standard".

If only that was true, then you could actually make a genuine comment. 

NSW is definitely the Gold Standard in tracing Covid-19 throughout exposure in the community from (initially) single sources such as the Ruby Princess cruise ship. Do cruise ships line up to visit your part of the world? 

Edited by Dusty Plains

It seems from afar that the issue is the delay from infection to symptoms + the high proportion of asymptomatic cases means you think you are clear of community infection, but in reality it is working through a few people before someone gets symptoms again.   This is why the experts are saying you cannot defeat this thing - just like the Flu it will never really go away.  Said at the beginning that no democratic country be it Australia or even new Zealand cannot stop it's citizens travelling, and as no quarantine is perfect it will come in.  Vaccines are the only way forward.  That said, AU and NZ have done a good job of minimising deaths until the vaccine is in the widespread effect.  Whether the cost of that screws the economy for the next 20 years remains to me seen.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It seems from afar that the issue is the delay from infection to symptoms + the high proportion of asymptomatic cases means you think you are clear of community infection, but in reality it is working through a few people before someone gets symptoms again.   This is why the experts are saying you cannot defeat this thing - just like the Flu it will never really go away.  Said at the beginning that no democratic country be it Australia or even new Zealand cannot stop it's citizens travelling, and as no quarantine is perfect it will come in.  Vaccines are the only way forward.  That said, AU and NZ have done a good job of minimising deaths until the vaccine is in the widespread effect.  Whether the cost of that screws the economy for the next 20 years remains to me seen.

Actually flu has been pretty much eradicated in NSW.  If you look at the NSW Health weekly stats, PCR-diagnosed cases of flu have been hovering around zero since March.  The last confirmed death was also in March.

Flu seems to be a lot less transmissible than Covid-19.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Whether the cost of that screws the economy for the next 20 years remains to me seen.

Early signs are that the countries which did less-harsh lockdowns "for the sake of the economy" have taken just as big a hit - and if a large proportion of their citizens have been infected, they'll be facing much higher healthcare bills in the future due to chronic illnesses caused by covid. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rtritudr said:

Actually flu has been pretty much eradicated in NSW.  If you look at the NSW Health weekly stats, PCR-diagnosed cases of flu have been hovering around zero since March.  The last confirmed death was also in March.

When I saw my GP back in August we were talking about this. He mentioned that Australia had seen the lowest number of flu cases in decades, and this was most likely due to the social distancing and hygiene measures introduced to fight covid. As flu is a lot less contagious, it's been pretty much stopped in it's tracked. It would be a big step forward if some of the measures implemented to fight the coronavirus become the social norm in time, as it will most likely result in reducing the spread of most diseases passed on through social contact.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

When I saw my GP back in August we were talking about this. He mentioned that Australia had seen the lowest number of flu cases in decades, and this was most likely due to the social distancing and hygiene measures introduced to fight covid. As flu is a lot less contagious, it's been pretty much stopped in it's tracked. It would be a big step forward if some of the measures implemented to fight the coronavirus become the social norm in time, as it will most likely result in reducing the spread of most diseases passed on through social contact.

It would be bloody awful if some of the measures introduced to stop covid became the norm.  Masks are horrible, hand gel rots your hands, and not seeing family and Friends make life barely worth living.  Other than that bang on 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It would be bloody awful if some of the measures introduced to stop covid became the norm.  Masks are horrible, hand gel rots your hands, and not seeing family and Friends make life barely worth living.  Other than that bang on 🙂

Washing your hands should be basic hygiene  sense. Sadly lacking in  enormous numbers of the general public. Sad a pandemic was needed before the obvious became the norm.

I would be quite happy if fewer of people that I know casually didn’t think I wanted them to kiss me on the cheek on meeting. That’s a plus now.

Several years ago my local bridge group put hand sanitiser out, and the incidence of of coughs, colds etc. reduced very significantly. So sensible use of hand sanitiser will be no bad thing. 

I have no idea how old you are, but I am in my 70’s, of course no sane person wants a total lockdown, but it it was a wise precaution at the time, and more thought might now be given to be sensible if sick about visiting anyone. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

20 minutes ago, ramot said:

Washing your hands should be basic hygiene  sense. Sadly lacking in  enormous numbers of the general public. Sad a pandemic was needed before the obvious became the norm.

I would be quite happy if fewer of people that I know casually didn’t think I wanted them to kiss me on the cheek on meeting. That’s a plus now.

Several years ago my local bridge group put hand sanitiser out, and the incidence of of coughs, colds etc. reduced very significantly. So sensible use of hand sanitiser will be no bad thing. 

I have no idea how old you are, but I am in my 70’s, of course no sane person wants a total lockdown, but it it was a wise precaution at the time, and more thought might now be given to be sensible if sick about visiting anyone. 

Totally agree with you @ramot - there are a lot of pluses to come out of this. And like you @Jon the Hat I don't like wearing a mask either (although we did when we had the outbreak in Brisbane a few months ago), but when people still haven't learned to put their hands over their mouth's when they cough despite this having gone on for nearly a year already, you can understand the need. Totally agree with you about not being able to see family and friends, and I've never agreed with that policy from the start - but I won't get into that here 🙂 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Totally agree with you @ramot - there are a lot of pluses to come out of this. And like you @Jon the Hat I don't like wearing a mask either (although we did when we had the outbreak in Brisbane a few months ago), but when people still haven't learned to put their hands over their mouth's when they cough despite this having gone on for nearly a year already, you can understand the need. Totally agree with you about not being able to see family and friends, and I've never agreed with that policy from the start - but I won't get into that here 🙂 

We are about to move into an apartment in Mooloolaba for the next 3 nights or best hope less nights. As Daughter and husband have to self isolate for 3 days or until their test results are through they queued for 5 hours for a test yesterday and the worst scenario is 72 hours for results and it was after 1200 so yesterday might not count as day 1. They have their dog with them so it’s easier for them to have the house. Christmas Day might not be happening. Please everyone keep your fingers crossed the results don’t take 72 hours. 

• Like 2

Some masks are more comfortable than others. I have one cloth one which is quite comfortable to wear and another one that is quite uncomfortable.

The thing that is annoying to me is that face recognition to unlock my phone doesn't work in the supermarket with a mask on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Parley said:

Some masks are more comfortable than others. I have one cloth one which is quite comfortable to wear and another one that is quite uncomfortable.

The thing that is annoying to me is that face recognition to unlock my phone doesn't work in the supermarket with a mask on.

A good cup of tea sorts out many of these first world problems!😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've got used to the masks and don't mind them in shops but it would be good if we could do without them outdoors. I actually think they should be mandatory everywhere in shopping malls and on public transport, as they are in Victoria. Today there was a person at the shops with a horrible hacking cough but at least they had a mask on and the sputum would blow back not forward (eeeuuggh)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Some masks are more comfortable than others.

That's true.  I made some masks of my own.  I tried out various methods and have found one which is pretty comfortable.  It has elastic that goes over the head, not behind the ears, and it's a 3D mask (i.e.  not pleated).  

I then bought a mask at a local market and it's perfect, in spite of having behind-the-ears elastic.  I could wear it for hours.  It's also a 3D style I'm going to buy a few more next time I go to that market. 

• Like 3

On 23/12/2020 at 08:34, ramot said:

We are about to move into an apartment in Mooloolaba for the next 3 nights or best hope less nights. As Daughter and husband have to self isolate for 3 days or until their test results are through they queued for 5 hours for a test yesterday and the worst scenario is 72 hours for results and it was after 1200 so yesterday might not count as day 1. They have their dog with them so it’s easier for them to have the house. Christmas Day might not be happening. Please everyone keep your fingers crossed the results don’t take 72 hours. 

Both tested negative Christmas is on!!! 

Moved back in the house and have spent the last couple of hours happily cooking as so relieved. Have baked  pickled pork(tastes most like gammon) sausage rolls, mince pies. About to make trifle. Will collapse shortly and leave the rest to the younger generation, but I’ve enjoyed it.

Happy Christmas everyone x M 

• Like 6
  • Congratulations 3