Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Hi Guys.  If anyone can help with a questions please. I will really appreciate it.

So the DATE (the most important detail)

26 April 2016 - Acknowledgement of application received for a Contributory Parent (Migrant) (class CA) Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa.

Q1. If there was an issue with balance of family. When does the department let me know?

Reason I ask: My Sister left to UK the year before in Mid Sep 2015 and we are 3 siblings. 

Me - OZ Citizen

Sis 1 - OZ Permanent Resident in UK since Late Sep 2015 has done some small trips to OZ since and has a deposit on a house since Jan 2018 (Not sure if she is considered a resident in OZ at 26 Apr 2016???)

Sis 2 - NZ Permanent Resident in NZ

23 hours ago, MELBNGSM said:

Hi Guys.  If anyone can help with a questions please. I will really appreciate it.

So the DATE (the most important detail)

26 April 2016 - Acknowledgement of application received for a Contributory Parent (Migrant) (class CA) Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa.

Q1. If there was an issue with balance of family. When does the department let me know?

Reason I ask: My Sister left to UK the year before in Mid Sep 2015 and we are 3 siblings. 

Me - OZ Citizen

Sis 1 - OZ Permanent Resident in UK since Late Sep 2015 has done some small trips to OZ since and has a deposit on a house since Jan 2018 (Not sure if she is considered a resident in OZ at 26 Apr 2016???)

Sis 2 - NZ Permanent Resident in NZ

I think they will tell you only after you get a call and during processing your file. Good luck to you.

Edited by Greece

On 14/11/2019 at 13:22, Michael S said:

AOS submitted on 20 AUG 19 and I was given an estimated completion date on 01 OCT 19.

Received SMS and finished phone interview on 12 NOV 19.
Before the phone interview call ended, the officer told me she will finalise the AOS and I will receive a letter in mygov inbox for paying the bond the next day.

However 2 days past, I have yet to receive the letter, call up Centrelink twice and I was told to keep waiting.....

Frustrationssssss after frustrationssssssssss

That sounds really frustrating! Hope you hear back soon.

On 14/11/2019 at 21:06, Greece said:

Hello, Can anyone please help me for following doubts -

1.  Which is official Website to apply NSW Australia Police Clearance for CPV 143? I am in Aus on visitor visa SC 600.

2.  We have to make AoS Application Online in MyGov? or  We have to send Printed Form SU594 to Centrelink?

3. For Identity check, we have to upload documents Online in MyGov?  or Printed docs to submit to Centrelink?

@Greece

1. I used the online application link providedin the page below for police clearance

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks

2. I submitted AoS online via Centrelink. Nothing in person. All done online including submission of required docs in support of the aos application. If you have 2 assurers then each of them need to create their Centrelink aos application via their own Centrelink login and I believe that there's a question asking if this is a joint assurance of support. If yes, fill out the joint assurers detail in that section. So both your assurers must refer to each other, in their own application, as the joint person. Hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NewBee2019 said:

@Greece

1. I used the online application link providedin the page below for police clearance

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks

2. I submitted AoS online via Centrelink. Nothing in person. All done online including submission of required docs in support of the aos application. If you have 2 assurers then each of them need to create their Centrelink aos application via their own Centrelink login and I believe that there's a question asking if this is a joint assurance of support. If yes, fill out the joint assurers detail in that section. So both your assurers must refer to each other, in their own application, as the joint person. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much for weblink and information.

On 05/11/2019 at 20:59, Biggsy said:

Hi Pars90

I think PR by Nov 2020 might be a little optimistic.  Not sure if you've seen the original PDF doc I uploaded here. (updated version below) Using those government figures it calculates that there are 9,554 173's +143's applications between the last known request for docs (4th Nov for 12th Jan 2016 application) and October 25th 2016 when your Dad applied.  Based on that, even if they achieve the full parent visa annual quota of 7,175 it could still be a further 16 months before being contacted for additional inf/docs.  However, we don't know how accurate this is because none of the information from them can be trusted! 😫  Also we don't really know how the parity issue with onshore applications will affect the progress.  There are 6,400 ahead of us so I'm not expecting to be contacted for further info untill around Sept/Oct 2020.

Updated version of the report for all who are interested.  I'll run another one off when some Feb 2016 applications are requested for additional info/docs.

CPV Lodged Date Report as of 4 Nov 2019.pdf

Just reading this thread as I also applied for my parents for CPV. Hoping they will soon contact us 🙂

Date of Visa Application: 29 April 2016

Date of Acknowledgement : 5 May 2016

It seems there is "some movement" now on the offshore Contributory Parent (CA143 and TU173) 

* Onshore Contributory Parent (UU884 and DG864) visa subclasses have been assessed up to January 2017. Onshore Contributory Parent visas lodged from January 2017 onwards are likely to take longer to process while we action offshore Contributory Parent (CA143 and TU173) applications to bring the dates back to parity. 

Anyone expereinced any issue in balance of family test ? We are 3 siblings (1 Citizen resides in OZ, 1 PR but left OZ since Sep'16 to stay in UK but will be back in OZ in May Next Year, 1 NZ PR)

Hi, can anyone please tell me whether for CPV 143 Parents visa,  it is better to have ONE Assurer for AoS  with total income of $130K p.a.  OR  Two (2) Assurers having total income of $260K p.a. for faster processing of AoS ??   We are thinking to have ONE Assurer for Parents. Plz give your input as many of Forum participants have good experience.

Edited by Greece

19 minutes ago, Greece said:

Hi, can anyone please tell me whether for CPV 143 Parents visa,  it is better to have ONE Assurer for AoS  with total income of $130K p.a.  OR  Two (2) Assurers having total income of $260K p.a. for faster processing of AoS ??   We are thinking to have ONE Assurer for Parents. Plz give your input as many of Forum participants have good experience.

Usually more the better. But since 2 assurers mean 2 x details to be provided and its worth checking credit history of 2 people also. Earning high income is one things but having a not so good credit history another. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi there

I have been living in Australia for five years. I just recently got PR in November 2019 . just about three weeks ago. I want to lodge contributory parents visa application ( 143) for my mother and father and 22 years old dependent sister. I meet balance of family test.. I have only one 22 dependent sister who is financially dependent on my parents. my 22 dependent sister is not working , has no income.I want to lodge their application in next few months before my 22 dependent sister turn 23 year old.

my question is this. if after lodging their application including my 22 dependent sister . but  my sister is going to be over 23 years old before their applications being finalised. 

will my sister be removed from their application or not? because she is going to be over 23 years of age before being finalised. but she is still financially dependent on my parents until being finalised. 

14 minutes ago, MOSODO said:

hi there

I have been living in Australia for five years. I just recently got PR in November 2019 . just about three weeks ago. I want to lodge contributory parents visa application ( 143) for my mother and father and 22 years old dependent sister. I meet balance of family test.. I have only one 22 dependent sister who is financially dependent on my parents. my 22 dependent sister is not working , has no income.I want to lodge their application in next few months before my 22 dependent sister turn 23 year old.

my question is this. if after lodging their application including my 22 dependent sister . but  my sister is going to be over 23 years old before their applications being finalised. 

will my sister be removed from their application or not? because she is going to be over 23 years of age before being finalised. but she is still financially dependent on my parents until being finalised. 

This is tricky. 

Now you cant just apply for your sister because she is currently dependent on your parents. CPV is for parents only ; you will have to check if you can include dependents in it. 

It is possible if your parents had PR already your financially dependent Sis can then apply for Visa as a dependent but I imagine she will be much older by the time your parents get PR. Perhaps remaining relative Visa. All the best!

Edited by MELBNGSM

on immi website state, over 18 year of age can be included if financially dependent on sponor, but not yet turn 23 years of age. but it didn't say about over 23 years of age before being finalised.  will be over 23 years of age before finalising . that is my question,  at least four or five years to finalise.

On 17/11/2019 at 22:11, NewBee2019 said:

@Greece

what is minimum taxable income to meet AoS of mother and father and a dependent sister? 

Just to update on the timeline. Details on my signature.  All now done and waiting for final acceptance from Immi.  There seem to have been very few actual visas allocated lately, albeit lots of activity on all that is required to lead up to this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MOSODO said:

hi there

To apply for 143, you need to check eligibility criteria. Is it 2 years from your PR or from your arrival?  Also, CPV 143 waiting time has gone more than 6 years as per present Queue unless Govt increase Quota in future.

1 minute ago, Greece said:

To apply for 143, you need to check eligibility criteria. Is it 2 years from your PR or from your arrival?  Also, CPV 143 waiting time has gone more than 6 years as per present Queue unless Govt increase Quota in future.

I just got PR recently this November 2019. few week ago. but I have here five years on temporary visa. 

7 hours ago, MOSODO said:

I just got PR recently this November 2019. few week ago. but I have here five years on temporary visa. 

I think you may not be eligible to apply CPV 143 for your parents as you must complete 2 years on your PR and should be settled in Australia. After 2 years of your PR, you are eligible to apply for CPV 143.  Better you may recheck on this.

9 hours ago, MOSODO said:

As @Greece says it's after 2 years PR.  Anyone applying for a 143 today is going to have around a 6 to 7 year wait. Will the 2 year rule be relavent by the time the application gets processed?

8 hours ago, Greece said:

I think you may not be eligible to apply CPV 143 for your parents as you must complete 2 years on your PR and should be settled in Australia. After 2 years of your PR, you are eligible to apply for CPV 143.  Better you may recheck on this.

Does anyone have a reference to this 2 year requirement? To be a PR for 2 years before you can sponsor? 

I think it may have been misinterpreted: 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143#Eligibility

Be suitable to sponsor
To sponsor an applicant for this visa, you must be:
an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
settled in Australia
18 years of age or older
Usually, you would sponsor your parent for this visa. You can sponsor more than one parent. 

The 2 year reference I found was about sponsorship obligation: Note * If you get a criminal record you may not be an eligible sponsor and then can impact the application.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143#When

How long your sponsorship obligations last
Sponsorship obligations last for 2 years.

7 minutes ago, MELBNGSM said:

Does anyone have a reference to this 2 year requirement? To be a PR for 2 years before you can sponsor? 

I think it may have been misinterpreted: 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143#Eligibility

Be suitable to sponsor
To sponsor an applicant for this visa, you must be:
an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
settled in Australia
18 years of age or older
Usually, you would sponsor your parent for this visa. You can sponsor more than one parent. 

The 2 year reference I found was about sponsorship obligation: Note * If you get a criminal record you may not be an eligible sponsor and then can impact the application.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143#When

How long your sponsorship obligations last
Sponsorship obligations last for 2 years.

Just want to also add that AOS (assurance of support) - you have to consider this one also as you may need to provide AOS for 3 applicats. 

Check the current NSA Newstart Allowance rate 

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/5/1/8/20 (current NSA etc)

https://www.australiavisa.com/immigration-news/assurance-of-support-aos-income-requirement/ (many good examples of AOS)

From https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/60

Example (worked on the assumption that the applicable NSA rate is $14,840.80 as at 1 July 2016):

if one person gives an AoS for 2 adults the income requirement will be $44,522.40, or
if 2 people give an AoS for 2 adults the income requirement will be $59,363.20, or
if 3 people give an AoS for 2 adults the income requirement will be $74,204.00.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MOSODO said:

Okay! I think I understand this one now a little bit better.

For AOS you need to show 2 years of income (or say last financial year and the current financial year income). Since you are already in Australia for few years and got your PR I assume you are a skilled migrant and have Australian income. So this "may not be an issue for you". But always best to ask! 😄 

Edited by MELBNGSM