Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Danny2729 said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to process an 870 visa.. i am planning to go over in Sept 2023 and wait for my 143, which is currently estimated at 2029 (11 years after application) so looking at when i will need to start the ball rolling?

TIA,

Dan

All the details are here  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/sponsored-parent-temporary-870

Use the toggle button to switch between sponsor and applicant  - it’s going to take quite a few months.

You can only get a maximum of 10 years but must leave Australia at the end of the first visa either 3/5 years.

You have to wait for 90 days (3 months) offshore  before you can even reapply and carry on waiting offshore for processing again so you will need somewhere to live for the possible 6 months plus outside of Australia.

You also probably need (expensive) private health insurance as there’s no access to Medicare and you can’t work on this visa. I’m not sure whether reciprocal health insurance applies in this instance  

If you wish to buy property you will need permission from FIRB (Google it) which will cost around $5000 and the stamp duty will be charged  at a higher rate (possibly an extra 7%)  - this is set differently by each state.   This is because you are classed as a temporary resident. 

The senate enquiry into parent and partner visas is due to report in March this year - there may possibly be some changes in visas etc 

Edited by LindaH27

3 minutes ago, burmtra said:

Does anyone know what the current processing time is on the 173 visa?

It’s in the  same queue as 864 and 143. Currently processing early June 2016. 
try this calculator. https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/
Use  the data from 15/09/21 as that’s the latest date that @Alan Collett has from a Freedom of information request from home affairs on how many are in the queue. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, AJM22 said:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

As of January 2022 Contributory Parent visa applications with a queue date up to June 2016 have been released for final processing.

image.thumb.png.c6513323b8ce979653a38233783306b5.png

According to groups  on other social media at least three July 2016 applicants have been asked for Medicals, docs etc and some late June 2016 as well so they’ve been moving ahead for a while now. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

I am still waiting for mine. Still havent heard anything. June 28 2016 visa 173

Possibly prioritising those on shore when borders closed and who were given temporary Covid concession visas to stay legal? Or … different people work at different speeds? They release visas for processing in tranches I believe (ie quite a lot) at a time to cover for non eligibilty,  failure to pass medical etc. to try and meet the quota for the year. There’s a new quota year starting 1st July. 
Once you get your 173  I’d advise applying for 143 very shortly afterwards - it will hopefully come through fairly quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our Visa 143 application was lodged on 24 June 2016 and we were asked to supply medicals and police checks on Tuesday, 22nd February.

We were surprised to learn that the police checks are posted to your residential address.  Are we correct to think that these can be scanned and sent to Parent Visas?  We are in the UK at present.  With the Australian police check, we have the option for it to be sent to an Australian address.  Could we have it sent to our son who is sponsoring us or directly to Perth, Parent Visa Centre, Locked Bag 7, NORTHBRIDGE  WA 6865 rather than waiting 3 weeks to be posted to the UK.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Jan.tt said:

Our Visa 143 application was lodged on 24 June 2016 and we were asked to supply medicals and police checks on Tuesday, 22nd February.

We were surprised to learn that the police checks are posted to your residential address.  Are we correct to think that these can be scanned and sent to Parent Visas?  We are in the UK at present.  With the Australian police check, we have the option for it to be sent to an Australian address.  Could we have it sent to our son who is sponsoring us or directly to Perth, Parent Visa Centre, Locked Bag 7, NORTHBRIDGE  WA 6865 rather than waiting 3 weeks to be posted to the UK.

Thanks

Have it sent to your son, better to have the original in your hands. They can scan it .

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Arashtinbenmik said:

What is happening to everyone?!? No answer! No updates! 

You can get an idea of when your visa may be processed using the link below.

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/

This uses data of outstanding Contributory Parent Visa applications in the queue as of 15/09/21 and the current reduced annual cap of 3600 Contributory Visa places that can be approved in any single migration year.

Enter your date of application and select "Get Estimate".

image.png.e138dc1712f9fef7391de79439582362.png

Petition EN3366 closed on 27th October 2021 and received 13271 signatures. This petition has been presented to the House and the response to the petition can be accessed at the following link.

https://epetitions.aph.gov.au/api/ministerialresponse/download/EN3366

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3366

EN3366 - Ministerial response - Immigration .pdf

16 minutes ago, AJM22 said:

You can get an idea of when your visa may be processed using the link below.

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/

This uses data of outstanding Contributory Parent Visa applications in the queue as of 15/09/21 and the current reduced annual cap of 3600 Contributory Visa places that can be approved in any single migration year.

Enter your date of application and select "Get Estimate".

image.png.e138dc1712f9fef7391de79439582362.png

NB - Only valid for applications up to August 2021. See the small print underneath. 

There is currently a senate enquiry going on into the problems to do with the queue for family and parent visas and the outcome of this was originally meant to be made available  10th August 2021 which was then further delayed until 25th November 2021. This was then further delayed until  the first sitting due 29th March 2022 when hopefully the outcome of senate enquiry will be made available.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas

It is unlikely that this enquiry will change the current situation as the current backlog is partly due to recommendations made in the Australian Productivity Review of  April 2016.

5 minutes ago, AJM22 said:

There is currently a senate enquiry going on into the problems to do with the queue for family and parent visas and the outcome of this was originally meant to be made available  10th August 2021 which was then further delayed until 25th November 2021. This was then further delayed until  the first sitting due 29th March 2022 when hopefully the outcome of senate enquiry will be made available.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas

It is unlikely that this enquiry will change the current situation as the current backlog is partly due to recommendations made in the Australian Productivity Review of  April 2016.

It definitely can’t change anything as it’s only a review. It can only make suggestions. Four were recommended following 2016 review and two were eventually brought in but took a few years to do so. I suspect they were brought in because it was what the govt wanted all along - to reduce parental migration. So if anything the review might lead to more cutbacks if it follows the first one 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2022 at 00:08, AJM22 said:

Hi, please don't give up...there are many actions are going on now such as sending letters to local MPs and federal senators.

Would you please join the following action to raise 143 visa issue?

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well.
As a group, we are trying to raise the issue to the Media about the backlog of the 143 visa, and processing time that is out of control right now.
With that in mind, we will present several of our stories and how that situation has been affecting us and putting us in a very difficult situation.
The more stories we can get, the better it could be.
If you could share your stories and send it to me by email to: visa143australia@gmail.com that would be great!
For info, we will not publish your full name, but only first name and maybe first letter of the last name.
Together we can achieve so much! Thanks everyone!

12 minutes ago, ruby1121 said:

Hi, please don't give up...there are many actions are going on now such as sending letters to local MPs and federal senators.

Would you please join the following action to raise 143 visa issue?

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well.
As a group, we are trying to raise the issue to the Media about the backlog of the 143 visa, and processing time that is out of control right now.
With that in mind, we will present several of our stories and how that situation has been affecting us and putting us in a very difficult situation.
The more stories we can get, the better it could be.
If you could share your stories and send it to me by email to: visa143australia@gmail.com that would be great!
For info, we will not publish your full name, but only first name and maybe first letter of the last name.
Together we can achieve so much! Thanks everyone!

Sadly there have already been quite  a few petitions on this subject that I’m aware of. All were dismissed in the replies from immigration. I’ve also seen a post where someone wrote direct to  Alex  Hawke and he reiterated that things would not change in his reply. 

It would have been better if  more people put submissions in when the senate enquiry opened as that’s  an official channel. 

I admire  your optimism but I’ve seen so many petitions shot down sadly.  The bottom line is that the Australian govt have done research and ascertained that in their view parents costs the Australian taxpayer up to $410000 over their remaining lifespan and they don’t want that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ruby1121 said:

I do think that if you want to get a positive outcome, you need to do more than just petition. You need to come up with some constructive ideas that the government could implement, that would reduce the cost to Australia.  Because while the situation is tough on the families involved, the government must also think of the Austrlaian taxpayer.  

An Australian spends a lifetime paying taxes (which provide our pensions etc) and contributing to Medicare, before they retire and start claiming pensions and the increased medical costs that usually occur in old age.  

When an elderly parent arrives from abroad, they haven't paid a cent into the system, so all of those benefits have to be paid for by other taxpayers.  The visa fees don't go anywhere near paying for them. 

So, granting more parent visas would increase the burden on taxpayers and that is not a vote-winner for any government ( and let's face it, that's all that matters to them). 

It's true that people who want to bring their parents to Australia are voters too, but actually, they're only a small minority of the country.  Australia is built on migration, but most of those migrants arrived generations ago.  They have no need for visas for their own families, and they don't see why they should pay for anyone else's.

So you see, it is a tough problem and just lobbying to get more visas processed isn't likely to solve it.  Maybe there is a solution but the government hasn't come up with one - perhaps some of the parents' groups could put their heads together.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 08:41, Arashtinbenmik said:

What is happening to everyone?!? No answer! No updates! 

I see the Department has published Feb 2022 report online now at The Administration of the Immigration and Citizenship Programs - 9th edition (homeaffairs.gov.au)

The latest figures of visa grants issued were included up to Dec 31, 2021, in Table 8.

2,443 visas of the 4,500 quota for parents, so they have done over half in 6 months!

image.png.67669c7122f70dc75d4c7e9805e89410.png

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2022 at 22:52, LindaH27 said:

Sadly there have already been quite  a few petitions on this subject that I’m aware of. All were dismissed in the replies from immigration. I’ve also seen a post where someone wrote direct to  Alex  Hawke and he reiterated that things would not change in his reply. 

It would have been better if  more people put submissions in when the senate enquiry opened as that’s  an official channel. 

I admire  your optimism but I’ve seen so many petitions shot down sadly.  The bottom line is that the Australian govt have done research and ascertained that in their view parents costs the Australian taxpayer up to $410000 over their remaining lifespan and they don’t want that. 

I know the current goverment(Liberal)  position for the parent visa as I submitted submissions for the senate enquiry/annual visa plan, joined many petitions and sent latters to politicians related with 143 visa problem. I have been in Australia since 2012. I know Liberal government reduced total immigration from 2017( from 190000 to 160000) and change the parent visa system such as removing 410(retirement), announcing 870, reducing contributory parent visa annual quota in half based on the productivity report asked by Joe Hockey.

However, It would be better to keep sending letters to politicians and contacting Media/Journalist to raise awareness rather than staying calming.

What if labor or green wins in this federal election? What if senate enquiry make a good result for 143?

1 hour ago, ruby1121 said:

I know the current goverment(Liberal)  position for the parent visa as I submitted submissions for the senate enquiry/annual visa plan, joined many petitions and sent latters to politicians related with 143 visa problem. I have been in Australia since 2012. I know Liberal government reduced total immigration from 2017( from 190000 to 160000) and change the parent visa system such as removing 410(retirement), announcing 870, reducing contributory parent visa annual quota in half based on the productivity report asked by Joe Hockey.

However, It would be better to keep sending letters to politicians and contacting Media/Journalist to raise awareness rather than staying calming.

What if labor or green wins in this federal election? What if senate enquiry make a good result for 143?

What benefit to Australia is there in changing the current approach. That is what you need to think about.

An emotional argument won't wash. There would need to be a real reason for change of benefit to the country.

• Like 1