Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

18 minutes ago, Dandan said:

Hi. I sent in my application in July 2021. My son has been living in Australia since June 2019 and is now a PR. My son is my sponsor and assurer, but he's  planning to go to Canada end of 2022 to work there for 2 years till end of 2024 before going back to Australia to work to ensure that he acquires 2 years of payslips for AOS . Will it affect his eligibility if he has been away for 2 years even if he had fulfilled the requirement of having lived in Australia for 2 years prior to the lodgement of application? Would it be ok as long as he's back to work for 2 years before they ask for AOS? And will it be too late to come back then considering 3+ years would have passed since I lodged application. And he'll then still need to put in 2 years of work to be eligible to be my assurer, which would be around beginning of 2027 to complete 2 years work (5+ years after lodgement of my application). Would appreciate any advice. 🙏. Thanks

I really wouldn’t worry yet. If your application was only sent in July 2021 then I’m afraid going on the present queue (66k and increasing) and a yearly quota of just 3600 you could be looking at a wait time before grant of around 18 years. 
Take a look at this to see numbers waiting on the queue 

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

Edited by LindaH27

Hi,

I had apply for 143 visa for my parents and my sister as a dependent chi ld. Would that be possible if my sister apply student visa and have me as her sponsor instead of my parents? is that gonna be affect the condition fully dependent to my parents?

Please share if anyone has the same experience.

Thank youu 🙂

18 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

You probably won’t  hear anything for about 3 years then will be given a queue date of that particular day so your queue date will be the date in the future when they contact you to say it’s a valid application. 

I see. When you mentioned 18 years of waiting time, do you mean from the time I'm put into the queue, or from application date? 

And also, when I'm notified that I'm being queued for processing, will I need to produce anything? What should I expect the dept to ask for next, and how close will that be to the final stage of the process? I'm sorry for the many questions 😅🙏 and thanks for your time and advice. 

2 hours ago, Dandan said:

I see. When you mentioned 18 years of waiting time, do you mean from the time I'm put into the queue, or from application date? 

And also, when I'm notified that I'm being queued for processing, will I need to produce anything? What should I expect the dept to ask for next, and how close will that be to the final stage of the process? I'm sorry for the many questions 😅🙏 and thanks for your time and advice. 

Wait time is from first application date. When they check your application in around : 3 years time,  if anything is missing or they have questions,  they will ask then. Once you’ve been given a queue date you won’t hear anything else for many years until your application reaches top of queue 

21 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Wait time is from first application date. When they check your application in around : 3 years time,  if anything is missing or they have questions,  they will ask then. Once you’ve been given a queue date you won’t hear anything else for many years until your application reaches top of queue 

Oh dear, that's long. Before I submitted my application, I did ask a migration agent about estimated time, and he said 5+years to process and grant a visa. That's a far cry from the 18-year wait that you mentioned. I checked the immi website and it says 60+ months. Can they actually keep the processing time as such when they know the backlog is of such a significant number? But anyway, thank you very much for your much needed advice. I'll just have to try to come to terms with that😅

41 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

When I applied my application June 2016, it said processing time is 12-18 months. And now nealry 1/2021 still hear nothing from them. Sometimes i was wondering if they ever received my application lol. Once i reached the processing time, they increased it.

Oh so the processing time on the website is from the time you're queued? Not from the time application is lodged? When did you enter the queue, if you don't mind me asking? 

3 hours ago, Dandan said:

Oh dear, that's long. Before I submitted my application, I did ask a migration agent about estimated time, and he said 5+years to process and grant a visa. That's a far cry from the 18-year wait that you mentioned. I checked the immi website and it says 60+ months. Can they actually keep the processing time as such when they know the backlog is of such a significant number? But anyway, thank you very much for your much needed advice. I'll just have to try to come to terms with that😅

The website saying 64 months actually relates  to the ones they are actually processing now. They’ve only just started on June 2016 - so that’s 66 months from application. 
There is currently a senate enquiry going on into partner and parent visa problems and delays. It’s due to report in March 2022. Things may change because of that but don’t hold your breath! The original quota for parents was about 7155- it’s been cut a few times to its present 3600

The reason for this is because Australia carried out a review in 2016 and determined that each parent costs the Australian taxpayer $410,000 approx over their remaining life in Medicare and aged care etc! 

That’s why they don’t want parents. So they keep cutting the annual quota. That review made four recommendations.

. reduce the quota 

. bring in a temporary paid long term parent visa (870)

. Increase the charge for 143 - a lot 

. get rid of 804 non contributory visa

The first two have happened already!

The link I gave you with the numbers of applications was obtained by a respected agent (who posts on here)  using a Freedom of Information request to immigration department so is pretty accurate. For example in May/June 2017 alone 9000 people applied - on the current yearly quota of 3600 that means just those two months alone will take 2.5 years to get through !!

Edited by LindaH27

Hi All,

WA parents has started to process the applications lodged in June 2016 this month. My application was lodged on 8th June and received acknowledgment on 10th June 2016. I have heard someone lodged at same day with me but acknowledgment on 14th June (4 days after my acknowledgment date) has been asked for health check and AOS a couple of days ago. Why I still haven’t heard anything yet? Should I contact with them? How strictly they process applications according to the lodgement dates? Thank you for your help.

On 27/12/2021 at 17:12, LindaH27 said:

The website saying 64 months actually relates  to the ones they are actually processing now. They’ve only just started on June 2016 - so that’s 66 months from application. 
There is currently a senate enquiry going on into partner and parent visa problems and delays. It’s due to report in March 2022. Things may change because of that but don’t hold your breath! The original quota for parents was about 7155- it’s been cut a few times to its present 3600

The reason for this is because Australia carried out a review in 2016 and determined that each parent costs the Australian taxpayer $410,000 approx over their remaining life in Medicare and aged care etc! 

That’s why they don’t want parents. So they keep cutting the annual quota. That review made four recommendations.

. reduce the quota 

. bring in a temporary paid long term parent visa (870)

. Increase the charge for 143 - a lot 

. get rid of 804 non contributory visa

The first two have happened already!

The link I gave you with the numbers of applications was obtained by a respected agent (who posts on here)  using a Freedom of Information request to immigration department so is pretty accurate. For example in May/June 2017 alone 9000 people applied - on the current yearly quota of 3600 that means just those two months alone will take 2.5 years to get through !!

That's worrying. If they decide to increase the fee, will it affect applications that have been sent in? Cos you said they might increase by a lot😅

3 minutes ago, Dandan said:

That's worrying. If they decide to increase the fee, will it affect applications that have been sent in? Cos you said they might increase by a lot😅

If they decide to bring that in, it’s likely to  only affect new applications not ones already applied 

28 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

If they decide to bring that in, it’s likely to  only affect new applications not ones already applied 

I just checked back on what happened in 2018, when the government increased the income requirement of the sponsor, but backflipped after backlash and petitions from the ethnic communities. At the time, it was going to be implemented on some applications already submitted as well because of the date that they set, eg. applications submitted after........So a lot of those applications would have had to drop out had the government gone through with it. So I'm quite worried that they can do it again, to just change the requirements for applications already submitted. 

On 30/12/2021 at 12:08, Dandan said:

I just checked back on what happened in 2018, when the government increased the income requirement of the sponsor, but backflipped after backlash and petitions from the ethnic communities. At the time, it was going to be implemented on some applications already submitted as well because of the date that they set, eg. applications submitted after........So a lot of those applications would have had to drop out had the government gone through with it. So I'm quite worried that they can do it again, to just change the requirements for applications already submitted. 

If they introduce higher fees for existing applicants, there will lot of backlash from 60K applicants. I doubt they will do that but who knows.. 

Also I am not sure why applicant on non-contributory visa are placed on the top of the list when they change to contributory visa? That's an insult to people who chose to pay extra only to be told an applicant from 10 years ago will be ahead of you in the Queue because he has now decided to pay extra. If I knew this earlier, I would certainly filed my parents application for non contributory visa long time ago. 

1 hour ago, amsaini15 said:

If they introduce higher fees for existing applicants, there will lot of backlash from 60K applicants. I doubt they will do that but who knows.. 

Also I am not sure why applicant on non-contributory visa are placed on the top of the list when they change to contributory visa? That's an insult to people who chose to pay extra only to be told an applicant from 10 years ago will be ahead of you in the Queue because he has now decided to pay extra. If I knew this earlier, I would certainly filed my parents application for non contributory visa long time ago. 

I think your only talking about a handful of people switching . We always knew we were going to take this route to PR but it had risks as it could have been changed  easily at any time . I would be more concerned with the tourist visa/bridging visa/804 visa route which I believe seriously impacts on the amount of visas being issued .you only have to look here and Facebook to see how many are contemplating entry this way

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

I think your only talking about a handful of people switching . We always knew we were going to take this route to PR but it had risks as it could have been changed  easily at any time . I would be more concerned with the tourist visa/bridging visa/804 visa route which I believe seriously impacts on the amount of visas being issued .you only have to look here and Facebook to see how many are contemplating entry this way

The non contributory visas (103,804) only have a quota of 900 - the contributory visas have a quota of 3600. They non contributory visas therefore have no impact on the amount of contributory visas granted. 

However  I do feel that the 804 is very unfair as it costs so little yet allows people to live in Australia simply by getting a visitor visa then applying onshore. The rest of us have to pay a large sum and wait offshore.

The senate enquiry due to report in March may  have something to say about 8O4. They’ve tried to get rid of it before and I’m sure they are very aware that many more people  are now considering this very easy and cheap way of living in Australia, which discriminates  against those who are prepared to pay an awful lot for the visa. 
As you say people are posting about doing this in social media - immi will probably be keeping an eye on that ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

The non contributory visas (103,804) only have a quota of 900 - the contributory visas have a quota of 3600. They non contributory visas therefore have no impact on the amount of contributory visas granted. 

However  I do feel that the 804 is very unfair as it costs so little yet allows people to live in Australia simply by getting a visitor visa then applying onshore. The rest of us have to pay a large sum and wait offshore.

The senate enquiry due to report in March may  have something to say about 8O4. They’ve tried to get rid of it before and I’m sure they are very aware that many more people  are now considering this very easy and cheap way of living in Australia, which discriminates  against those who are prepared to pay an awful lot for the visa. 
As you say people are posting about doing this in social media - immi will probably be keeping an eye on that ! 

Sorry a bit off topic but why are you only a junior member when others who are far less informative are members or senior members

36 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

Sorry a bit off topic but why are you only a junior member when others who are far less informative are members or senior members

I have no idea why but believe it’s to do with the number of posts. Given I have posted quite a lot and helped a lot it seems a bit unfair doesn’t it ??