What you wish you would have brought...

aussiedream

So I'm quite fortunate in that I will be staying with family in Oz for a good while when we arrive, but just wondered if there is anything anyone wishes they had brought over with them? I know you can get pretty much everything there but just if anything maybe stood out to you?

Thanks x

The main thing we got caught out with was not shipping over enough cold weather stuff - left all my ski jackets, thermals etc at home thinking 'this is Oz, wont need those'....

first winter in Adelaide I regretted this big time.   In an Aussie house (seemingly constructed of balsa wood and paper) by the beach in winter with no central heating or double glazing it felt at times colder than any winter spent in Scotland.

Of course if youre heading for Qld or NT, you can pretty much ignore the above 😎

• Like 1

I agree about the cold weather stuff.  You won't need it the first winter, but you acclimatise and then you need it the next winter.

Other than that, I'd say bring everything you can, unless it's so old it needs replacing.  I see a lot of people thinking that shipping is "too expensive" - and then they find it costs three or four times that to replace everything they left behind!

If you're thinking of not shipping your belongings, I strongly suggest you do a "trial shop" before you make the final decision.   Then you'll have an accurate idea of whether the shipping is worth it.   It's to your advantage that you can stay with family, because it can easily take three months for the stuff to arrive.

It's so easy to do online now.  

For furniture - if you're happy with cheap, do your trial shop at Ikea.com.au.    Otherwise try Harveynorman.com.au.   

For whitegoods and electrical, Thegoodguys.com.au.

But don't forget the small stuff - you don't realise how much it costs to set up your kitchen until you have to do it from scratch!  Pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils, towels, bedlinen, brushes and mops - look at target.com.au, house.com.au.   If you have some really good pots then definitely bring them with you as they cost hundreds here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Kash said:

The main thing we got caught out with was not shipping over enough cold weather stuff - left all my ski jackets, thermals etc at home thinking 'this is Oz, wont need those'....

first winter in Adelaide I regretted this big time.   In an Aussie house (seemingly constructed of balsa wood and paper) by the beach in winter with no central heating or double glazing it felt at times colder than any winter spent in Scotland.

Of course if youre heading for Qld or NT, you can pretty much ignore the above 😎

Here in SE Queensland I have worn all my big jumpers, sweatshirts etc in winter.  Winter nights/mornings are chilly.  We regularly have 5-6C under clear winter skies and travel just a few more miles inland and frosts are experienced.

Also if you travel around you may well need the real winter coats.  I have.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Johnny Kash said:

You are being a bit unfair there - it’s more like balsa wood and cardboard.

Definitely bring warm things and warm blankets.  We brought pretty much everything so very little we wished we had brought that we didn’t.

• Like 1

Actually I have noticed that a lot of the new one off homes built near us in tha past year or so have had double glazing and extra insulation. We certainly built ours with those things even 10 years back when it wasn’t the norm. A sharp intake of breath re the dg for sure. 

We are in Adelaide Hills. It gets frosty in the winter. Well for a handful of days at least. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aussiedream said:

Thank you all so much for this. I keep thinking shipping will end up expensive but we'll be going down to one salary and im nervous about costs out there so will definitely use all this advice emoji16.png thanks x

Yes it does sound expensive, but that's because nobody ever realises the value of what they've got in their home.    Most of us buy stuff slowly over the years and don't realise how it adds up.  Also of course, if you bought furniture etc five or ten years ago, all the prices have shot up in the meantime - so you leave a $500 sofa behind and then find that type of sofa now costs $1,000.   So do the trial shop, it's an eye-opener!

Don't worry about the cost of living, it's much the same as in the UK with one exception - housing.   It depends where in Australia you're going, but some areas are very expensive indeed, whether you want to rent or buy.  So make sure you've done your research on that side of things.

15 hours ago, aussiedream said:

Thank you all so much for this. I keep thinking shipping will end up expensive but we'll be going down to one salary and im nervous about costs out there so will definitely use all this advice emoji16.png thanks x

We brought everything as there was no way we would have been able to furnish a house for the cost of shipping our belongings.  Our house in Aus was also larger with more rooms - so we still had to buy additional things.  What bringing furniture did for us was allow us to be able to shop around when things needed replacing rather than impulse buying (and regretting). We probably have little original stuff left after 12 years (except some crockery and the bed in the spare room), but we've just replaced things over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took everything.  Reasons being:

It's a pain the bum selling everything UK side - time wasters and chancers on ebay/gumtree etc.
The money you make won't be enough to replace it all Aus side.
Psychological factor of being surrounded by your "own stuff" will make it easier to settle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

It's a pain the bum selling everything UK side - time wasters and chancers on ebay/gumtree etc.
The money you make won't be enough to replace it all Aus side.
Psychological factor of being surrounded by your "own stuff" will make it easier to settle.

This exactly.  People expect to pay peanuts for second-hand furniture.   My husband is still grieving the fact that we sold our $3,000 leather suite for $500.

And I do think having familiar stuff around is helpful, especially for children.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ali said:

We brought everything as there was no way we would have been able to furnish a house for the cost of shipping our belongings.  Our house in Aus was also larger with more rooms - so we still had to buy additional things.  What bringing furniture did for us was allow us to be able to shop around when things needed replacing rather than impulse buying (and regretting). We probably have little original stuff left after 12 years (except some crockery and the bed in the spare room), but we've just replaced things over time.

This.  We have been here under 4 years.  We have added stuff as our house here is more than double the size of our UK house but we still have almost everything we brought over.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was a young man when I came to Australia, so I travelled light...except that my Dear Old Mum insisted I take 4 blankets 2 pillows and 4 towels plus a great number of household items in a 4x2x1.5 ft tin trunk...When the ship arrived in Smellbum, I gave the lot to my Uncle, Mum's youngest brother...Then I travelled light.😀

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1