On 19/06/2020 at 18:24, RosieH11 said:

I thought you had to apply for to 600 visa and travel exemption at the same time, this is what i did for my partner earlier this week, i hope i haven't done it wrong !

How long did it take them to approve your travel exemption after you applied for it?

only a few days

21 minutes ago, Shaggylom said:

only a few days

With regards to the exemption & 600 visa. I haven’t applied yet but wondering if our situation is similar to anyone else’s and if they’ve had an exemption granted. Me and my partner have been together 3 years (not married no kids). Have submitted our 309/100 application. Intend to move out in the next few months. Are we likely if just in a de facto relationship to be approved? The reason we would want to move out together is because we financially rely on each other and currently living in my mums house but we need to move out soon as she’s promised someone else can move in. (for when we are supposed to be leaving). Also my partners visas ends soon and there’s no other way to extend it here... any thoughts would be appreciated if anyone else is in a similar situation to us and been granted an exemption. Very stressful times 😩

2 hours ago, Bjv002 said:

With regards to the exemption & 600 visa. ... Are we likely if just in a de facto relationship to be approved? 

A de facto relationship is the equivalent of marriage, so it's treated exactly the same.   If you're financially reliant on each other, how are you going to manage with your partner not being able to work?  And what will he do if the partner visa doesn't come through before the 600 visa expires?

So spent the morning talking to my immigration agent based on stuff i'd seen on the forum. I had my exemption approved and i had asked them to just advise immigration that we had that sorted and to look at my partner rather than my 600 visa. 4 hours later I get the email stating my 309 had been approved!! beyond happy, called the misses she was crying at work. We had just sorted our plans for how she'd work and i'd stay at home and we'd live with her parents till we got the go ahead this weekend, now its full steam ahead. Flights already booked for 3 August to Melbourne!!

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A de facto relationship is the equivalent of marriage, so it's treated exactly the same.   If you're financially reliant on each other, how are you going to manage with your partner not being able to work?  And what will he do if the partner visa doesn't come through before the 600 visa expires?

We both have savings so would be fine, but obviously the longer one of us can’t work the more that would affect our life savings which we didn’t want to have to use due to this situation. The financial burden isn’t our biggest worry, it’s been separated indefinitely. As no one knows how long restriction could be in place so it’s worrying us as we have never lived apart before and don’t want to ever have too.

Hi everyone,

Today after nearly 11 months wait, my husband received his 309/100, we are both so greatful. I was teary when I first saw it. 🙂

We received a RFI in early March and then everything slowed to a stop. As we are moving at the start of August, we decided to apply for a visitor visa, a couple of weeks ago.

We actually applied for an exemption first which was declined, as we got it the wrong way around lol. Last week we received a second RFI with a 3 day deadline which was today.

Thank you to everyone for keep us going over the last year by posting your updates.

Hopefully this will give some hope to others, best of luck to you all!

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

9 hours ago, Bjv002 said:

With regards to the exemption & 600 visa. I haven’t applied yet but wondering if our situation is similar to anyone else’s and if they’ve had an exemption granted. Me and my partner have been together 3 years (not married no kids). Have submitted our 309/100 application. Intend to move out in the next few months. Are we likely if just in a de facto relationship to be approved? The reason we would want to move out together is because we financially rely on each other and currently living in my mums house but we need to move out soon as she’s promised someone else can move in. (for when we are supposed to be leaving). Also my partners visas ends soon and there’s no other way to extend it here... any thoughts would be appreciated if anyone else is in a similar situation to us and been granted an exemption. Very stressful times 😩

You are in the same situation as me, we are together 4 years defacto, i'm PR and I have to return to Australia by August as my TF expires then, currently my partner has no Visa. We have not applied for 309/100 for my partner as we always planned to apply onshore..i really wish we'd just done an Offshore application last year now! But who would of thought this chaos would happen. I have applied for a 600 for him along with an exemption, not heard anything yet and its been a week 😞 we will just wait and hope. Else i will have to return without him and just keep trying to get hm in, which i know will be hard, but i cannot risk losing my PR. We have started really working on our Partner visa paperwork this week, we may go ahead and submit for a 309/100 soon.

According to the exemption conditions they are allowing defacto or married partners to travel to Australia... so i don't see why there should be any problems.  As long as you show them you are a real defacto couple you should be fine. The fact you have already submitted a 309/100 application can only work in your favour i feel! Apply for the exemption and see what they say. I know its a really stressful time

I am so beyond frustrated with this whole process. Because my husband is in Australia (on a bridging visa) our application has been put on hold (seemingly indefinitely) because they can't grant his 309/100 until he is offshore - and with the travel restrictions in place who knows when borders will reopen. We lodged our application nearly 17 months ago now and still waiting. It's all messed up thanks to Covid

Edited by SpaintoAus

Hi I applied for my partner’s 309/100 visa who was offshore on 1/2/2019 

309 temporary visa was granted after 5 months on 24/6/2019.

now we are looking to apply for my partner’s 100 permanent visa after 17 months of initial lodgement of 309/100.

Has anyone else applied for the subclass 100 onshore permanent partner visa (second half of the 309/100)?

how long does it take for it process? I heard some people have been granted this visa within 24 hours to a week.

Thanks

7 hours ago, SpaintoAus said:

I am so beyond frustrated with this whole process. Because my husband is in Australia (on a bridging visa) our application has been put on hold (seemingly indefinitely) because they can't grant his 309/100 until he is offshore - and with the travel restrictions in place who knows when borders will reopen. We lodged our application nearly 17 months ago now and still waiting. It's all messed up thanks to Covid

Try 28 months ago I applied. Been a nightmare. Refused and still waiting. We have put our whole life on hold. It’s so unfair 

19 hours ago, Aussie20 said:

Hi everyone,

Today after nearly 11 months wait, my husband received his 309/100, we are both so greatful. I was teary when I first saw it. 🙂

We received a RFI in early March and then everything slowed to a stop. As we are moving at the start of August, we decided to apply for a visitor visa, a couple of weeks ago.

We actually applied for an exemption first which was declined, as we got it the wrong way around lol. Last week we received a second RFI with a 3 day deadline which was today.

Thank you to everyone for keep us going over the last year by posting your updates.

similar timeline to us. mine was 1 year to the date!  Congrats!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aussie20 said:

Hi everyone,

Congrats!!!! 

Can I ask which sub class 600 you applied for??

In the exemption and the 600 did mention in there that you were waiting for the 309/100 to be approved??

This waiting is so stressful as my uk visa runs out on december lol

• Like 1

Hi Lauren,

Thank you.

We applied for the visitor visa (no paperwork lol) hoping the 309/100 would be approved by then, if not we would apply for the 600 extension before the visitor expired.

When you apply for the 600 and exemption, it asks you, if you have applied for a visa, that’s where we put the 309/100. So they will be aware without you mentioning it in your reason for returning. 

I assume what happened with my husband is, the 600 request got them to look at how far along his 309/100 application was in terms of nearing completion and grant that instead. From what I have read on this board, they usually send RFI when they are about to finish as people get a RFI and a month later, it’s granted. 

I hope you get your good news soon 🙂

massive congrats to @Shaggylom and @Aussie20 Makes me think we should push the 600 just as a prod to get things moving... such good news for you guys! we're all on similar time lines (June 2019 application, Feb 2020 RFI) - so I'm glad things seem to be being looked at, and I can only hope that ours will be looked at soon. Must be such an amazing feeling.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 09:52, SpaintoAus said:

Yes i hear you.  I am at 19 months now so beyond processing times but pretty much told they arent processing 309/100 for ppl onshore on visitor visa so be patient and wait. Very frustrated by the whole immigration process. Have REALLY tried to be positive through the last 19 months but my patience is now wearing very thin.  

@Ben34uk i was wondering how yours was progressing (or not it seems). Hope you get some postive news soon.

1 hour ago, GRS said:

Yes i hear you.  I am at 19 months now so beyond processing times but pretty much told they arent processing 309/100 for ppl onshore on visitor visa so be patient and wait. Very frustrated by the whole immigration process. Have REALLY tried to be positive through the last 19 months but my patience is now wearing very thin.  

@Ben34uk i was wondering how yours was progressing (or not it seems). Hope you get some postive news soon.

Yep we've basically been told they won't process ours until he is offshore. i've written to my Federal MP asking if they can look at waiving the requirement for applicants to be offshore at time of grant, given then extenuating circumstances we are in.

@SpaintoAus i was under the impression that they wouldn't waive it because it is written in law but if you hear something to the contrary from your MP then please let us know as that would be really positive news! That being said with Dutton in charge, i am not hopeful.......

To go offshore at this stage even though no guarantee they would look at the app and the risk of not being able to return  Oz for months VERSUS staying onshore with partner, delaying the app even more because they wont even look at the application.... Well i guess the better option for now is being onshore and frustrated!

8 minutes ago, GRS said:

@SpaintoAus i was under the impression that they wouldn't waive it because it is written in law but if you hear something to the contrary from your MP then please let us know as that would be really positive news! That being said with Dutton in charge, i am not hopeful.......

To go offshore at this stage even though no guarantee they would look at the app and the risk of not being able to return  Oz for months VERSUS staying onshore with partner, delaying the app even more because they wont even look at the application.... Well i guess the better option for now is being onshore and frustrated!

Oh i agree that because it is a regulation it is very unlikely to be waived, but there is no harm in trying. I am grateful he is here with me and our baby, but it's so frustrating knowing that we might be waiting months (years???) longer. 

On 25/06/2020 at 20:26, kazronicus said:

massive congrats to @Shaggylom and @Aussie20 Makes me think we should push the 600 just as a prod to get things moving... such good news for you guys! we're all on similar time lines (June 2019 application, Feb 2020 RFI) - so I'm glad things seem to be being looked at, and I can only hope that ours will be looked at soon. Must be such an amazing feeling.

yeah i literally asked my agent to speak to immigration and had her send my flights and my exemption info over along with details on my 600 and my 309 was approved within a few hours!  the agent just asked them to look at the 309 instead of the 600 

• Like 1

Hi All 

Can someone clarify what an exemption is please, and the '600'? I've been getting notifications for this thread and just caught snippets! 

My husband is Australian - we live in the UK. We've been together since 2011, married since 2015.

We paid for our visa application (offshore 309/100) in July 2019 - we were quite slow at uploading all the info, but wanted to get it paid for and in the system. End of Feb we had an RFI, which we submitted. Now we haven't heard anything since. We did it ourselves and did not use an agent.

We hope to move out to Melbourne in September/October this year, but with the virus and not hearing about my visa we are on the slow - we need to sell our house etc in London.

Im just curious what the exemption and 600 is? Is it a way of getting out to Australia before the 309/100 is approved (hopefully it will be!)? And if it is, can you work out there on it? Is it for UK citizens? @Shaggylom @Aussie20

Is there a way to transfer the 309/100 offshore, to an onshore one and get ourselves out there? My husband said not but thought it is worth asking.

Any help much apprciated - advice on here better than trawling Google! 

Many Thanks!

@moominfillyjonk 600 is a tourist visa (different to the evisitor visa which restricts three month max stay on each entry). 600 can be issued for upto 12 months. No - you cannot work on the 600 visa. 

The exemption is that to enter australia now - you have to get special permission from immigration to enter on a valid tourist visa (probably until borders reopen).. so if you apply for tourist visa you also need to apply for exemption. 

And no you cant transfer offshore to onshore visa. All you can do is withdraw 309/100 and do a new application for 820/801 onshore partner so pay the fee again. You would also need to get onshore first on a tourist visa and be granted the exemption. 

People have applied for the tourist/exemption and been lucky to have their offshore applications expedited but not always the case. 

Edited by GRS
  • Thanks 1

@GRS that is super helpful thank you! So if we wanted to visit Australia for longer than 3 months whilst waiting for 309 approval we could go for that. I see now why some are suggesting to apply for it in case it helps push the 309 through, but obv never any guarantees!! 

Does anyone know if we did travel to Australia before the 309 is approved do you have to notify someone you’ll be onshore? And then do they let you know you need to get out of Australia if the approval was going to happen? 

thanks all 👍