Quality of life for kids

MissMissingEurope

When I read posts from lots of different forum members about their not so nice experiences here, I think my OH and I have been very lucky.  We've never personally experienced bushfires or floods.  The heat never really bothered me either until I was older then I loathed the summer days when temp. rose to over 30C.  Now that we are in Tassie the climate suits us very well.
All the best with your move back to the UK MeIT.  [emoji4]

You’re very lucky, bushfires scare the pants off me having been through one and helped with the recovery of two more plus having our son burned out by another. Floods I think would be more livable
  • Sad 1

On 20/02/2018 at 04:30, MissMissingEurope said:

Hi everyone, i'm a new member on here but a long-time reader of the MBTTUK forum! I've been in Perth for 8 years now with my husband and have 2 kids who are 4 and 1. We are all dual UK/Aus citizens. We have been considering moving back for years now and have pretty much decided that we will do it, but it will take us a couple of years to organise everything and save up enough money to do it. We have already ping-ponged once over 10 years ago so we are aware that both places have their pros and cons and we aren't looking at the UK through rose-tinted glasses/with a grass is greener outlook. 

Reasons for moving back: wanting to be closer to friends and family, boredom with Perth, not liking the isolation, hating suburbia, bored of the samey weather and lack of distinct seasons, missing Europe (oh so much! I have NEVER stopped missing Europe since we arrived here) and the ability to travel cheaply, wanting our kids to grow up being able to experience all the Europe has to offer instead of living in the insular bubble that is Perth. 

We aren't sure where in the UK we will move back to yet. I feel that if we are going to move back, we need to do it soon because if we stay here too long we will get "stuck" here.. our kids will become proper aussies, they will attend high school then probably uni in oz, may settle and have kids here and then it will be so hard to move back! At least if we move soon and it doesn't work out, we can always come back before the kids start high school (though i doubt we would do that). I have met elderly British people here who long to go back to the UK but are stuck here because they have kids and grandkids here. I just cannot see myself living here into old age. 

The thing is, whenever I mention this plan to anyone (family included), I get really negative reactions and people telling me that it would be a terrible mistake to move our kids away from this place that apparently is "the best place in the world to raise kids". They make out like the UK is some third world country that's a terrible place for families and it really makes me worry that they are right and we are going to make a terrible mistake. They also comment on how awful the UK weather and act like we would be crazy to go back to it but honestly, i''m bored of the Perth weather.. i'm sure i'll miss the heat but weather is not everything. 

Because of the negative reactions, sometimes I feel like giving up on the dream of going back and just accepting that the best thing for our kids is just to stay here, even if we don't want to. Then again, I don't want to look back in 10 or 20 years and think "what if?"

I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance from someone.. did you move with young kids and find that it was actually ok? Do your kids have a good quality of life in the UK? Has anyone had similar negative reactions from people?

I can certainly concur on your views on Perth....I could not live anywher without being close to Europe. I go so much and it is so fascinating meeting different cultures food and drink..Frankfurt and Berlin last month and Budapest a few months back.....never ever tire of Europe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MelT said:

Look up the black Saturday fires 2009 and the Queensland floods of 2011/2012/2013 (I lived through all..) if you doubt the extreme harsh Australian climate. That is my experience. No I am not bitter and twisted. Australia has been good to us in some ways but it is not home. Counting down the weeks until we move back to the UK - 23 weeks to go....

I have lived in Australia for over 30 years so yes, I know the weather is harsh. But you certainly don't get "hot dry desert air" over the whole continent - in fact, large parts of the North have the exact opposite, vast tracts of unbearable humidity!   I mention it because it's a perfect illustration of how  that poster takes something they hated about Perth, and then proclaims that it applies to the whole of Australia.  Every one of their posts is like that. 

I have no problem with people wanting to go back to the UK.  I just get annoyed when they exaggerate what was wrong with the city they were in, AND then apply that criticism to the whole country.  Clearly they have no idea.  It's like saying you hate Tunbridge Wells because you lived in Manchester.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have lived in Australia for over 30 years so yes, I know the weather is harsh. But you certainly don't get "hot dry desert air" over the whole continent - in fact, large parts of the North have the exact opposite, vast tracts of unbearable humidity!   I mention it because it's a perfect illustration of how  that poster takes something they hated about Perth, and applies it to the whole of Australia.  Every one of their posts is like that. 

I have no problem with people wanting to go back to the UK.  I just get annoyed when they exaggerate what was wrong with the city they were in, AND then apply that criticism to the whole country.  Clearly they have no idea.  It's like saying you hate Tunbridge Wells because you lived in Manchester.

That particular poster is very narrow mind and has become a bit of a troll.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MelT said:

Look up the black Saturday fires 2009 and the Queensland floods of 2011/2012/2013 (I lived through all..) if you doubt the extreme harsh Australian climate. 

No one doubts the extremes of the Australian climate and if anyone migrates here without knowing about them I'd have to ask which rock they've been living under.   In this age of media saturation any  person with half a brain should be aware of them.  (I also think they contribute to a certain dark sardonic humour which others can find difficult) .   I have  personally experienced  both bushfire and flood but never  the  desert climate implied on here as being ubiquitously "Australian".    The only time I have not been able to get into town was because the road was closed by snow,  not by a desert sandstorm.  :S

• Like 4

On 3/15/2018 at 11:41, Sandgroper said:

xD Rubbish the winter of 2010/11 was horrendous, you might not have seen it but it was one of those prolonged periods of snow and ice you claim never happen anymore :rolleyes:

There you go just so you can't deny it ever happened xD

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/dec2010 

I was back home that winter and that 4-week period was pretty nippy. In fact we had a white Christmas, which my oldest still fondly reminisces about as it was her first, and so far, only experience of snow. Every Christmas Day since, she expectantly phones her grandad to ask if he's had snow, and every year since she comes off the phone a little disapointed!

I wouldn't have described it as a 'horrendous' winter though. It was a nasty 4 week spell but the rest of the winter was pretty bland as I recall. Being an old-timer I can remember the winters of 81-82 and 78-79 when we had weeks of banked up snow and freezing fog. My Dad's in his 80's and still recalls the winter of '63 when there was no football played between Christrmas and March, or '47 when they had to cut walk-ways in the snow-drifts so that people could cross the roads!. Eee, they were proper winters in those days I tell thee. Folks nowadays are all too soft! :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I was back home that winter and that 4-week period was pretty nippy. In fact we had a white Christmas, which my oldest still fondly reminisces about as it was her first, and so far, only experience of snow. Every Christmas Day since, she expectantly phones her grandad to ask if he's had snow, and every year since she comes off the phone a little disapointed!

I wouldn't have described it as a 'horrendous' winter though. It was a nasty 4 week spell but the rest of the winter was pretty bland as I recall. Being an old-timer I can remember the winters of 81-82 and 78-79 when we had weeks of banked up snow and freezing fog. My Dad's in his 80's and still recalls the winter of '63 when there was no football played between Christrmas and March, or '47 when they had to cut walk-ways in the snow-drifts so that people could cross the roads!. Eee, they were proper winters in those days I tell thee. Folks nowadays are all too soft! :biggrin: 

I was a wee school girl the winter of '63 and it was a really hard one with very deep snow which seemed to last for weeks.  After that, the only one that stands out was a white Christmas in 1970 - at least it was where I was living at the time.  

• Like 2

Thank you for stating your own judgement. I follow this forum as i, like others find it helpful and encouraging. Not for sustaining targeted attacks. I have shared some of my experiences to support various ponts of view.

No one doubts the extremes of the Australian climate and if anyone migrates here without knowing about them I'd have to ask which rock they've been living under.   In this age of media saturation any  person with half a brain should be aware of them.  (I also think they contribute to a certain dark sardonic humour which others can find difficult) .   I have  personally experienced  both bushfire and flood but never  the  desert climate implied on here as being ubiquitously "Australian".    The only time I have not been able to get into town was because the road was closed by snow,  not by a desert sandstorm.  [emoji37]
I have experienced the hot very dry heat & wind when i lived in Victoria - part of the weather pattern that comes accross from South Australia.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MelT said:
12 hours ago, Toots said:

Thank you for stating your own judgement. I follow this forum as i, like others find it helpful and encouraging. Not for sustaining targeted attacks. I have shared some of my experiences to support various ponts of view.

I hope you understand that the poster we're referring to is NOT you.   As for the hot dry wind - no one's disputing that it exists in particular parts of Australia.   However, in other parts it never occurs at all.   To suggest otherwise, as the other poster did, is just plain stupid.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MelT said:
14 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes as stated the post you quoted wasn't referring to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MelT said:
13 hours ago, Skani said:
No one doubts the extremes of the Australian climate and if anyone migrates here without knowing about them I'd have to ask which rock they've been living under.   In this age of media saturation any  person with half a brain should be aware of them.  (I also think they contribute to a certain dark sardonic humour which others can find difficult) .   I have  personally experienced  both bushfire and flood but never  the  desert climate implied on here as being ubiquitously "Australian".    The only time I have not been able to get into town was because the road was closed by snow,  not by a desert sandstorm.  emoji37.png

I have experienced the hot very dry heat & wind when i lived in Victoria - part of the weather pattern that comes accross from South Australia.

The oven like hot North winds were one of the things I really dislike about living in Geelong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MelT said:
15 hours ago, Toots said:

Got to admit you are beginning to come across a little bitter at times though, don’t worry not everyone becomes a successful migrant many go home when it doesn’t work out for them just hold yourselves accountable not the location it’ll make the whole experience of moving back easier in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

I was a wee school girl the winter of '63 and it was a really hard one with very deep snow which seemed to last for weeks.  After that, the only one that stands out was a white Christmas in 1970 - at least it was where I was living at the time.  

I was particularly plssed off in 63 because all those bottles of orange that we used to nick off peoples doorsteps were frozen. The upside was that if you smashed them and brushed the glass off, they tasted exactly the same as frozen Jubbly...........hard to believe that less than 6 months later I was in uniform, and no, it wasn't borstal garb :-)

I also remember a time when I was in the orphanage that all us kids were walking to school.............sort of..............and we lost one............just buried in a snowfall from a roof. The drifts were huge, and I mean shoulder  high, and icicles hung from roof gutters to the ground. Shows what a bitch the matron was to send us off on our own in those conditions. I haven't googled it but I'm guessing it was between 1957-59..............perhaps it just seemed that bad 'cause we were littlies?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Got to admit you are beginning to come across a little bitter at times though, don’t worry not everyone becomes a successful migrant many go home when it doesn’t work out for them just hold yourselves accountable not the location it’ll make the whole experience of moving back easier in the long run.

:biglaugh: Pray tell when any returnee ever holds themselves accountable? It's always Australia/Aussies to blame. No doubt some have bad experiences, but I've yet to hear any of them question why?. Someone going on about dry heat and bushfires on another thread

OK, I understand their dream is shattered, albeit taken 'em a long time to decide, but for feck's sake, didn't they research?.............and never mind that crap/excuse so oft recycled on PIO about research doesn't equate to actually living here..............of course it does, the research should show, if done properly, (eg a whinge on PIO) in past and future to another past/potential migrant, exactly what that returnee is whinging about,  just as others have whinged similar in the past and those whinges should have been picked up....................it's all there...............on PomsinOz which ranks high in Google................so give me a break................folk who have lived here for 8 or more years and all of a sudden they're saying "I didn't expect this"...................some bugger whinging about "dry heat" and another about humidity........that's just a bail out for some other failure in their lives/expectancy. If you "didn't expect this" then that would have become apparent long before 8 years, or even 30 as some have whinged about. FFS how many millions around the world live in "dry heat" or humidity and yet just go on with their daily lives and live fruitful and satisfying existences? OK, you don't like either, which could be understood, but this constant emphasis/excuse by returnees that Oz should somehow have to apologise for it's climate is ludicrous.

If you're bailing out, have the ball to say simply, "I miss family" or "I miss England's seasons", or "I miss Centreparcs" but puuuuuuuuuuuuurleeze, don't think that after all those years here, that you can blame it on "location" 'cause the truth of the matter is, if that really is the reason, then you're a feckwit for choosing that location and how come it's taken you so long to realise?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If someone is posting within the rules of PIO I think they should be able to post about their feelings without risk of ridicule. Thoughts, views and opinions are not always factual, and individual preference can result in two people sharing an identical experience in a completely different manner.

I don’t see PIO as simply a factual reference tool for migrants, it is a community of people with a wide range of experience that is shared, commented on, ignored or explored. Personally I have no doubt that the whole of Australia does not experience ‘hot dry desert air’, any more than the UK has nothing but ‘wall to wall low grey skies’, yet for some people that is their reality. Jumping on them in an attempt to silence their posts may succeed for a while but is unlikely to change their personal view, and ultimately it isn’t difficult to counter dubious ‘facts’ with a few alternative evidenced ones.

Fwiw I doubt many would be migrants (or UK returnees) finalise their decision based on the extreme view of a single poster but, if they do, it could well be for the best in the long run. T x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

What's with all this 'successful' or 'failed' migrant stuff? Where does that come from? Are we all involved in some giant game show where the smiling, tanned 'winners' parade around Perth in  an open top Holden and the flabby, white 'losers' have to live in some terrible British sink estate surrounded by wannabee ISIS members forever?!!

I get it that you hate the UK and couldn't wait to leave, but why the self-congratulation?  You got out and it's very evident that you love Perth, so why bash the U.K. from 10,000 miles away? It's a bit like kicking someone when they're down is it not?. The summers are crap? - from memory they are; the winters are colder than anything you'll experience in Australia? - for sure ; the beaches are full of dog poo and chemical waste - without doubt. 

Few of us who love the place would argue that it's utopia. But it's home, despite all it's flaws. It sounds like you've found home in Perth, so why not go easy on the old place?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

What's with all this 'successful' or 'failed' migrant stuff? Where does that come from? Are we all involved in some giant game show where the smiling, tanned 'winners' parade around Perth in  an open top Holden and the flabby, white 'losers' have to live in some terrible British sink estate surrounded by wannabee ISIS members forever?!!

I get it that you hate the UK and couldn't wait to leave, but why the self-congratulation?  You got out and it's very evident that you love Perth, so why bash the U.K. from 10,000 miles away? It's a bit like kicking someone when they're down is it not?. The summers are crap? - from memory they are; the winters are colder than anything you'll experience in Australia? - for sure ; the beaches are full of dog poo and chemical waste - without doubt. 

Few of us who love the place would argue that it's utopia. But it's home, despite all it's flaws. It sounds like you've found home in Perth, so why not go easy on the old place?

I often get accused of thinking the UK is perfect, not true but it suits a certain agenda. For us it is certainly more perfect than Australia but that's totally different. I like the summers here and actually don't dislike the winters 95% of the time lol There are no failed migrants, there are just those who choose to go 'home'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me get one thing straight.  I've always supported members of this forum who are thinking of returning to the UK or have already returned.  I have 3 good friends who returned to the UK with their young families a number of years ago.  They had their own good reasons for returning.

What gets up my nose is a certain poster who comes on the forum to bleat constantly about how cr@p his/her whole experience of living in Perth was.  He/she never contributes anything else at all just a constant litany of how dire his/her life was and how dreadful Perth is.  He/she will probably pop back sometime soon with the same old same old.  Usually once every few weeks or so.  The same person probably sits back after posting to see how we all react.  :P  The negativity is quite funny though as I did live in Perth myself at one time and actually liked the place and just don't see it the same way that person does.  I understand he/she hates the place but we only need to hear about it once.  We get it.  You didn't like it so you moved back to the UK and you are now happy.  End of story.  No need to repeat your reasons over and over and over again. ;)

• Like 7

:biglaugh: Pray tell when any returnee ever holds themselves accountable? It's always Australia/Aussies to blame. No doubt some have bad experiences, but I've yet to hear any of them question why?. Someone going on about dry heat and bushfires on another thread
OK, I understand their dream is shattered, albeit taken 'em a long time to decide, but for feck's sake, didn't they research?.............and never mind that crap/excuse so oft recycled on PIO about research doesn't equate to actually living here..............of course it does, the research should show, if done properly, (eg a whinge on PIO) in past and future to another past/potential migrant, exactly what that returnee is whinging about,  just as others have whinged similar in the past and those whinges should have been picked up....................it's all there...............on PomsinOz which ranks high in Google................so give me a break................folk who have lived here for 8 or more years and all of a sudden they're saying "I didn't expect this"...................some bugger whinging about "dry heat" and another about humidity........that's just a bail out for some other failure in their lives/expectancy. If you "didn't expect this" then that would have become apparent long before 8 years, or even 30 as some have whinged about. FFS how many millions around the world live in "dry heat" or humidity and yet just go on with their daily lives and live fruitful and satisfying existences? OK, you don't like either, which could be understood, but this constant emphasis/excuse by returnees that Oz should somehow have to apologise for it's climate is ludicrous.
If you're bailing out, have the ball to say simply, "I miss family" or "I miss England's seasons", or "I miss Centreparcs" but puuuuuuuuuuuuurleeze, don't think that after all those years here, that you can blame it on "location" 'cause the truth of the matter is, if that really is the reason, then you're a feckwit for choosing that location and how come it's taken you so long to realise?

Actually the main reason for going back is that myself and my son have developed severe allergies to genetically modified food. Banned for human consumption in Europe. Allowed here with no adequate testing for humans to consume in Australia. Mainly all canola, corn and cottonseed derived products. We cannot eat out anywhere and I have to read every supermarket food label (unless made in Europe). It has quite an impact on our daily lives.

The climate does not help I have to say.. Developing skin cancer (even though I have always been careful) and increasing temperatures over the last few years in Qld have made us feel like hermits.. You can do all the research in the world but until you have actually lived it you do not how you will manage. Yes there will be somethings I miss about Australia. But the negatives of living here are now out weighing the positives and it is time to go home.

I think 13 years is quite a chapter here. I do not see it as a failure. More so a chapter in our lives we have learnt from and will enable us to appreciate things about the uk we would not have done before.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MelT said:

Actually the main reason for going back is that myself and my son have developed severe allergies to genetically modified food. Banned for human consumption in Europe. Allowed here with no adequate testing for humans to consume in Australia. Mainly all canola, corn and cottonseed derived products. We cannot eat out anywhere and I have to read every supermarket food label (unless made in Europe). It has quite an impact on our daily lives.

The climate does not help I have to say.. Developing skin cancer (even though I have always been careful) and increasing temperatures over the last few years in Qld have made us feel like hermits.. You can do all the research in the world but until you have actually lived it you do not how you will manage. Yes there will be somethings I miss about Australia. But the negatives of living here are now out weighing the positives and it is time to go home.

I think 13 years is quite a chapter here. I do not see it as a failure. More so a chapter in our lives we have learnt from and will enable us to appreciate things about the uk we would not have done before.

No you shouldn't see it as a failure at all, it's just another part of your life. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Precisely why can't the bitter ones just take a breath and look at why after all the time, money, effort and stress (i won't include research as that obviously seems to be lacking) just admit you know what it's me I don't fit in I need to go back to my safe bubble I'm not ready to be away from it, I need familiarity.

We always planned on moving to Perth as everything about it suited our needs as a family, the climate the outdoor lifestyle and beaches, but because we had always said we won't move unless one of us secures a good job first which after trying couldn't seem to do in Perth we looked elsewhere and ended up moving to Melbourne just so we had a job waiting we, hated it! Hated everything about it, the 4 seasons in one day the horrendous commute to the city, the level of crime, the cost of decent housing in a decent suburb. So when a close family member fell terminally that was the excuse we needed to head home with our tails between our legs feeling sorry for ourselves and blaming everything we felt on Melbourne.

However once back in the UK family member passed away we realised It wasn't Melbourne's fault at all, we'd read about the 4 seasons in one day, read about the commutes if you wanted to live somewhere nice away from the city, knew it was a bloody big city so there was always going to be crime it was our fault we'd messed up it was no good blaming Melbourne which is what we did when ever anyone asked us why we had moved back.

So when I hear some of the excuses and whinges on here the flies, the heat, blah blah blah I just PMSL, and often have to call BS, so when some claims to have been experienced bush fires in one state and floods in another which were both extreme weather events  in history I'm a little skeptical to say the least, and the convenient allergies well.

Why do people get so hung up about being either a successful migrant or not it makes me laugh, if you start a business it's either a success or failure, if you want to be a rock star you succeed or fail, move across the other side of the world to live your move ends up as either a successful or not unless of course you'd never planned on it being forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MelT said:

A great example of how to do it right!   I have absolutely NO problem with this post. It explains clearly why Australia doesn't suit you,, and when you refer to climate you refer to Queensland specifically.  If everyone posted their opinions like this, I'd be very happy.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

A great example of how to do it right!   I have absolutely NO problem with this post. It explains clearly why Australia doesn't suit you,, and when you refer to climate you refer to Queensland specifically.  If everyone posted their opinions like this, I'd be very happy.  

My dear old MIL moved back to the UK with her two kids (one being my husband) when her OH died.  She had never liked living in Australia - she had that gorgeous Irish colouring - lily white skin, black hair and blue eyes so used to burn to a crisp in the sun and she missed her extended family dreadfully.  She settled very happily in the UK and I never heard her ever going on about how she disliked living in Australia.  My OH was the one who told  me she was never happy here.