Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

What part of 'let's fund instead' don't you understand?

And that is completely ignoring the made up figure.

I understand perfectly "lets fund instead" and what about that offends you?

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Rather than my primitive attempts at criticism, probably better if you read Dr Richard North's summary.

Possibly you could have given page numbers rather than just link in a 200 page document and asking me to go fetch?

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85905

Edited by newjez

I also refer you to the very interesting article in the Sunday times with an interview with Dyson. Where he points out that all of his products are subject to WTO tarrifs as although designed in the UK are manufactured in Malaysia. Which has no trade agreement with the EU. So, according to the doom mongers should be falling on its backside. 

5 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I also refer you to the very interesting article in the Sunday times with an interview with Dyson. Where he points out that all of his products are subject to WTO tarrifs as although designed in the UK are manufactured in Malaysia. Which has no trade agreement with the EU. So, according to the doom mongers should be falling on its backside. 

You think the UK is comparable to Malaysia? Maybe you should ask Mr dyson why he is manufacturing in Malaysia?

8 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

A Dyson hairdryer costs over 200 quid.  WTF.  I'm still using my Breville I bought 10 years ago for $25 and when it eventually carks it I doubt if I'd invest in a Dyson hairdryer unless the price drops drastically.

14 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

How much do you reckon it costs Dyson to manufacture in a 3rd world country, a fifth?! of what it would in Europe, of course he can afford tariffs and still make a giant profit. 

Remoner delusions exposed

1. There is still not much Bregret

2. A large majority of people want Brexit to go ahead

3. People are confident in May’s ability to deliver, but think the government isn’t moving fast enough

4. The public would like to have their cake and eat it – immigration control AND free trade

5. May’s vision of Brexit seems to have correctly gauged the point of maximum public support...

6. There is not presently much demand for any sort of second vote or second referendum

7. People agree no deal is better than a bad deal

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/03/29/attitudes-brexit-everything-we-know-so-far/

Edited by amibovered
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, amibovered said:

What delusions are you referring to?

Few seem to have changed their view since the referendum one way or the other which is hardly surprising as nothing more is known about the outcome now than it was then and Brexit will not happen until 2019.

Most agree that the referendum should be respected and Brexit should go ahead.  Hardly surprising.  The UK has metaphorically made its bed and now will have to lie in it.

A large proportion seem to be optimistic that Britain will retain the bits it likes and jettison the bits it doesn't so little wonder that they are still in favour of the enterprise. 

5 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

What delusions are you referring to?

Few seem to have changed their view since the referendum one way or the other which is hardly surprising as nothing more is known about the outcome now than it was then and Brexit will not happen until 2019.

Most agree that the referendum should be respected and Brexit should go ahead.  Hardly surprising.  The UK has metaphorically made its bed and now will have to lie in it.

A large proportion seem to be optimistic that Britain will retain the bits it likes and jettison the bits it doesn't so little wonder that they are still in favour of the enterprise. 

Why wouldn't you be optimistic, or at least open minded?

39 minutes ago, amibovered said:

Yes, but the nugget of real info in that survey was the high percentage who still believe we can be part of the EU  and stop immigration despite the EU saying loudly and plainly that is not going to happen, and when push comes to shove a majority of those then say trade is more important, I believe, so there is going to be a lot of disappointed people in 2019 when the realities start to hit home.

There are either a lot of people in complete denial or are in complete thrall to the nationalist Right.

We have voted to leave, the EU owes us nothing and they cannot believe we have been led into it by fools like Cameron, Gove and Johnson. 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I really don't see what the future is for the UK with first past the post elections, we are not set up for coalitions between smaller parties so it's going to be 20 years of Tory rule before the demand for PR resurfaces after all the smaller parties realise being little discrete islands is getting them nowhere, perhaps, maybe!!? 

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I really don't see what the future is for the UK with first past the post elections, we are not set up for coalitions between smaller parties so it's going to be 20 years of Tory rule before the demand for PR resurfaces after all the smaller parties realise being little discrete islands is getting them nowhere, perhaps, maybe!!? 

Or the little parties should merge. It should be a two party system like the states.

With the recent mayor elections, I listened to one journalist trying to explain the preferential voting system. He made out like it was the most complicated thing in the world. If people are really that stupid, and they must be because they voted against it in the lib Dems referendum, then they deserve the Tories.

• Like 1

The chief executive of Barclays has said he sees no reason to shift British jobs to Europe as a result of Brexit and described the restructuring required as straightforward compared with other challenges faced by the bank.

Jes Staley said Brexit would be “a wholly manageable challenge” and “significantly less costly” than other problems the bank has encountered.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/10/barclays-ceo-jes-staley-no-reason-brexit-jobs-shift-europe

• Like 1