Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

43 minutes ago, newjez said:

What is the waiting period for a new Mercedes? 3 months. I assume that waiting period will decrease during the transition as they increase their supply to other markets. We on the other hand, are screwed. Until we capitulate.

I bought a new Mercedes in 06 when I lived in uk as vaxuall could not give me a delivery date for the van I wanted , I paid a 5k deposit to vaxuall after being told 4 weeks after waiting 10 weeks I cancelled and went to Mercedes on My way home from cancelling , salesman came out to see me on site  to confirm my exact requirements next day picked up van 7 days later with all the extras I wanted. It cost me 3k more than the Vauxhall a far better van over all and worth more when I sold 

Edited by Rallyman

4 hours ago, newjez said:

The really worrying thing about this is that May has never shown the ability to compromise or even rationalise,. I don't think she is the best person for the job, and I think she will find it a very difficult experience for herself personally and professionally. She is good at implementing objectives, regardless of whether they make sense. She will lose sight of the big picture and compromise might not be within her. But she might have too large a mandate to be replaced. 

Your comments stirred some thoughts about what how pre programmed May is and I thought back to my involvement with personality testing and career choice years ago.

It would be very interesting to have May complete a MBTI personality questionnaire, I bet she would come out as either a ISTJ or ESTJ, ( look at Wikipedia ), and if you look at the implications of those classifications then May may be locked into a personality which  concentrates on detail at the expense of the big picture; judges situations according to an internally held set of 'oughts' and 'rights and wrongs'  and finds it difficult to recognise the feelings of others.    

If that is correct and she appears to be very S and T from how dogmatic she appears to be,,  then she is going to find compromise difficult, if not impossible, and that may be the best indicator we have as to where this mess is going to end up

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I bought a new Mercedes in 06 when I lived in uk as vaxuall could not give me a delivery date for the van I wanted , I paid a 5k deposit to vaxuall after being told 4 weeks after waiting 10 weeks I cancelled and went to Mercedes on My way home from cancelling , salesman came out to see me on site  to confirm my exact requirements next day picked up van 7 days later with all the extras I wanted. It cost me 3k more than the Vauxhall a far better van over all and worth more when I sold 

Cool story bro.

13 hours ago, Collie said:

About 44% of the UK's exports are to the EU.  About 53% of the UK's imports are from the EU.  The imports will go up in price (some already have) due to a falling GBP + any tarriffs that UK imposes post a trade deal (politican's love rising prices don't they?).  The silver lining will be that it will be good for competing British goods (where they exist)

About 14% of the EU's exports are to the UK.  Yes, Brexit will hurt this trade but proportionly the UK will suffer more.  Brexit is a lose lose scenario economically and a very large majority of economists who have commented have said so.

But I guess ostriches don't have good ears.  They hear but don't listen.

Maybe because the same economists predicted Armageddon from the moment of the referendum, we've been hearing doom and gloom for months and it hasn't happened, far from it, so why on earth would anyone believe them now, unless that's what they want to hear of course.  

1 hour ago, amibovered said:

Maybe because the same economists predicted Armageddon from the moment of the referendum, we've been hearing doom and gloom for months and it hasn't happened, far from it, so why on earth would anyone believe them now, unless that's what they want to hear of course.  

I remember those wild times. Someone even predicted the NHS would get 350 million a week.

But in the cold hard light of day, there are very few sane people who think that leaving the EU without a trade agreement or a transitional agreement would be anything short of a disaster.

Edited by newjez

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I remember those wild times. Someone even predicted the NHS would get 350 million a week.

But in the cold hard light of day, there are very few sane people who think that leaving the EU without a trade agreement or a transitional agreement would be anything short of a disaster.

Then I guess I am one of those sane people. Probably the same as those economists who recently published the following facts:

6 of the ten countries who have the largest expansion in trade have done so on no trade agreement and rely on WTO. 

In the same period, trade from the UK to the EU has declined year on year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Then I guess I am one of those sane people. Probably the same as those economists who recently published the following facts:

6 of the ten countries who have the largest expansion in trade have done so on no trade agreement and rely on WTO. 

Care to name these countries? Or provide a link?

1 hour ago, amibovered said:

It amazes me that the same people who endlessly bang on about the Tories only caring about big business and the rich, in the following sentence tell you they are going to do something that would adversely impact on those very same people!!  

It's almost certain that they won't. The most likely outcome is brexit in name only, with someone other than May as prime minister.

22 hours ago, Rallyman said:

The pound is rising (Against the aud it is) so exports become more expensive and imports cheaper, nobody has a clue what will and wont happen as negotiations have not satred9 Maybe behind closed doors they have) . The so called experts have got things very wrong ,look at Trump did any body really belive he would become prsident ,I will reserve judgment unill hard facts are known , I'll  throw a cuve ball in what would happen if JC won the election ? is it a forgon conclusion that May will win as we have seen nothing is certain.

major and global business wil have a big say in all this

What are you talking about?  The pound dropped about 25% in the months following Brexit v the AUD and is still about 15% lower than the pre Brexit vote rate.  At the end of May 2016, it was $2.03, In june it stengthened to c.$2.15 or so.  Sine the Brexit vote it has been in a range of $1.50s to $1.70s and is currently about $1.72 but the AUD rate is not that important for the wider UK economy (it is to people on here who are moving money). 

More importantly, it dropped against the Euro and is still about 10% lower than pre Brexit.  This is why some foodstuffs (imports) have started increasing in price in the last year.

Major and global business have started voting with their feet.  JPMorgan Chase expected to move 4,000 jobs out of London and into the EU zone. Barclays to follow suit (number uncertain), Lloyds of London moving jobs to Luxembourg. And there will be thousands more than wil be done quietly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I would also question your sanity.

This is my preferred option.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/theresa-may-brexit-tactics-wrong-eu-former-greek-finance-minister-yanis-varoufakis-a7721151.html

But there is a chance you will get to test your 'just leave' theory. And when it goes pear shaped, I guess you will just leave like farage.

5 hours ago, Collie said:

What are you talking about?  The pound dropped about 25% in the months following Brexit v the AUD and is still about 15% lower than the pre Brexit vote rate.  At the end of May 2016, it was $2.03, In june it stengthened to c.$2.15 or so.  Sine the Brexit vote it has been in a range of $1.50s to $1.70s and is currently about $1.72 but the AUD rate is not that important for the wider UK economy (it is to people on here who are moving money). 

More importantly, it dropped against the Euro and is still about 10% lower than pre Brexit.  This is why some foodstuffs (imports) have started increasing in price in the last year.

Major and global business have started voting with their feet.  JPMorgan Chase expected to move 4,000 jobs out of London and into the EU zone. Barclays to follow suit (number uncertain), Lloyds of London moving jobs to Luxembourg. And there will be thousands more than wil be done quietly.

Fully aware of that the value of the £ fell off a cliff after the vote , for every negative there is a positive when it dropped exports increased , all this about 1000's of jobs going you don't know ,nobody knows how things are going pan out ,what happens if things are sorted to suit both uk and Europe your comments " it's expected " so you don't know 100% as fact .The way some went on when the result became know Armageddon was going to happen .

Barclays have been cutting jobs for last 3 years or more but can now blame it on brexit 

29 minutes ago, simmo said:

what? that the NHS would get 350 million a week?

nonsense read the slogan again.,

I and many people believed there was implication there. But I concede it is possible that the NHS doesn't require £350 extra a week to be fully funded, which would have allowed them to spend the rest on other things. But back to the point, how was this different from all the other hysteria?

1 minute ago, newjez said:

I and many people believed there was implication there. But I concede it is possible that the NHS doesn't require £350 extra a week to be fully funded, which would have allowed them to spend the rest on other things. But back to the point, how was this different from all the other hysteria?

and some people believe the earth is flat

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Fully aware of that the value of the £ fell off a cliff after the vote , for every negative there is a positive when it dropped exports increased , all this about 1000's of jobs going you don't know ,nobody knows how things are going pan out ,what happens if things are sorted to suit both uk and Europe your comments " it's expected " so you don't know 100% as fact .The way some went on when the result became know Armageddon was going to happen .

Barclays have been cutting jobs for last 3 years or more but can now blame it on brexit 

There was a hell of an over reaction, which is why anyone with cash and common sense bought big and made a fortune just after. In fact it was pretty hard to lose, as not much would have happened if we had voted remain.

3 minutes ago, newjez said:

We send the EU £350 million a week. Let's fund the NHS instead. 

How exactly do you interpret that statement?

most people would translate that as why are we sending the EU all this money whilst out NHS is desperate for cash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Collie said:

and in the most unsurprising news 

Jamie Dimon admits 'not many' JP Morgan jobs will leave UK in major Brexit U-turn 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/04/jamie-dimon-admits-not-many-jp-morgan-jobs-will-leave-uk-major/

HOW THE EU IS USING UK TAXPAYER’S MONEY
TO PAY FOR ITS MIGRANT CRISIS

Funds agreed for one purpose are quietly being 're-allocated' by the EU

The UK makes annual net contributions to the EU budget on the basis of an agreed breakdown of EU spending across its various priority areas. The British people are aware of this, even if they are not generally told the details.

The UK also makes contributions to EU Funds which are not part of the EU budget, and which do not appear as part of the UK’s net contributions. The British people are NOT aware of this.

If the British people actually knew what its money was planned to be spent on by the EU, it’s doubtful that they would be happy. Even Remainers would struggle to defend this. That said, the UK government agrees the budget framework each time, so that’s that.

What the British people would definitely not expect, however, is that the EU would then use British taxpayer money for purposes other than those which had been approved by the UK government when the EU budget is agreed.

http://facts4eu.org/news.shtml

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes but those have been SE Asian and African countries which started from a very low base and the reason for our drop in exports is because our economy has concentrated on services and internal retail sales which sucks in imports from the East.

1 hour ago, simmo said:

most people would translate that as why are we sending the EU all this money whilst out NHS is desperate for cash.

What part of 'let's fund instead' don't you understand?

And that is completely ignoring the made up figure.

Edited by newjez