Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

59 minutes ago, newjez said:

We are facing a very real situation where sinn fein could be in government. Now that would be weird wouldn't it?

Sinn Fein have been in government in the North since devolution, Martin McGuinness was deputy first minister.  Indeed he & Ian Paisley (sr) became good friends, never thought I'd see the day.  The Good Friday agreement has a formula that makes for a forced coalition to ensure both communities are represented in Government.

Sinn Fein have made gains in the south and will make further gains once Adams steps down as Leader.  They are a far left party with ludicrous economic policies.  Thankfully they are still toxic to all other parties in the South and the 2 main parties have repeatedly said that they will not go into government with them

24 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

And there is another poll that gives the Tories a 15% lead. Which one is correct? I think it is going to be a nail biting finish.

18 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Starting fires is the only thing those papers are good for. I'll take the telegraph, times, guardian, but not the express.

It says nothing anyway? Did you read it? Possibly they could look at the sums earned by Tories to give balance.

£10,000 a year extra earnings, pin money.

Edited by newjez

Whilst Breitbart has notoriety as a fake news source it is difficult to understand the outrage.  She is alleged to have been paid £700 to appear on a TV show.  She has been a regular since 2003 so the figure quoted relies on multipying the fee by the number of appearances.

Personally I struggle to understand her appeal but those amounts hardly seem outrageous.

5 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Whilst Breitbart has notoriety as a fake news source it is difficult to understand the outrage.  She is alleged to have been paid £700 to appear on a TV show.  She has been a regular since 2003 so the figure quoted relies on multipying the fee by the number of appearances.

Personally I struggle to understand her appeal but those amounts hardly seem outrageous.

It's a complete non story. Like the one they did about corbyn taking millions from the taxpayer. They were his wages for for god's sake over his career. I think they do these things in the hope that stupid people won't actually read them and assume some wrong doing. (No offense intended RM)

18 minutes ago, newjez said:

It's a complete non story. Like the one they did about corbyn taking millions from the taxpayer. They were his wages for for god's sake over his career. I think they do these things in the hope that stupid people won't actually read them and assume some wrong doing. (No offense intended RM)

Most people only read the headlines, the Sun and the other tabloids  structure their stories for an audience with a reading age of around 10/11 years of age.

In the meantime Cameron and Osborne have been cleaning up big time, Cameron has made well in excess of a million from addressing private groups of bankers, consultancy groups and American investors hoping to get their claws into the public sector sell off here and Osborne has landed editorship of the Standard owned by a Russian tycoon, his only experience of running a newspaper is being a crap Chancellor and part of a family that produces wallpaper. 

5 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

This is a somewhat surreal topic for a 2017 election but indicates perhaps how desparate the far-right media is to discredit the man.

Despite all attempts to rewrite history both the British and their Unionist allies also have a shameful history in Northern Ireland and to pretend that it was a simple good v evil battle may work well with fans of Marvel Comics and their feature film spin-offs but it was much more nuanced in reality.  Irish Catholics had genuine grievances which for a long time were ignored.  Few in Britain had the courage or moral fibre to stand up against the accepted 'wisdom' and British Government propaganda then and it is typical that those that did are still vilified - when essentially they turned out to be right, hence the Goid Friday agreement.

I was a serving soldier at the time the "troubles" kicked off......................anyone who couldn't see the inequality and gerrymandering must have been blind..............of course, soldiers are expected to be blind................do your duty...................me, I did my duty in Aden, awoke politically and when Ulster came up as a posting, I got out, much to the disdain of mates I'd served with since age 15..............some since, after their 22 yrs service which included Iraq, have caught up with me via FB recognising that they were (a simplification of what they said to me) "just tools" but "at the time I didn't even think about politics as the Army was my livelihood".............It's strange that confronting and killing gaelic/celtic brothers who were discriminated against beyond belief, never raised an eyelid back then, indeed, some even welcomed it when it "kicked off" because they wanted to get to grips with the enemy without sparing a thought for why they were the enemy.................Perhaps seeing the plight of the average Iraqi coupled with their personal subsequent maturity as compared to Ulster, changed their whole outlook on life?

Others that I served with, who are UKIP supporters, still hold me in disdain.....................Do I give a f#ck? Not at all. I stayed true to my convictions and at an earlier time in history, I would have been taken out and shot at dawn, but, what comforts me, is that some of those buddies that I "deserted" and felt enormous guilt at the time for so doing, may have taken 40 yrs to catch up with me, but at least it shows that latterly in their life, they have been thinking about my convictions at that time and seem to have forgiven me. What really makes me happy, is not only that they have caught up with me, and appreciated my "leanings" at that time, but that they have caught up with the machinations of Gov't/politics  and how the latter saw them as dispensible in the furtherance of capitalist goals................IOW, how the youth of nations, is "funneled" into the capitalist war machine either via brainwashed nationalism or unemployment

Hopefully, they won't let their kids fall into the entrapment of unemployment that led my peers at age 15 to join up and be on the streets of Ulster at age 17 and they will guide them into further education or whatever it takes to prevent them from the conflicts that only ensures the perpetuation of capitalism and not the furtherance of better conditions for the working classes

• Like 3

Just watched the debate. Minus Theresa May because she couldn't be bothered turning up, or maybe she's too weak and wobbly.

I think she is doing everything she can to lose this election.

My god, how could she not turn up?

Anti Tory feeling is running high.

Saw corbyn on the One show too, and he came accross really well.

Still a long shot, but I can see her reducing her majority, and possibly losing.

This has been an amazing election.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

There was a debate? I was watching BGT. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/theresa-may-social-media-roasts-prime-minister-not-turning-bbc/

It was actually quite funny.

They're just taking the piss now.

I mean for god's sake, amber Rudd's dad died two days ago. But I guess they couldn't send Boris, Davis, fox, and I assume Hammond was busy. Or maybe they don't like his tune.

She's going to lose this election if she's not careful. It's going to take more than platitudes or old news stories on Corbyn to turn this around.

12 hours ago, newjez said:

Just watched the debate. Minus Theresa May because she couldn't be bothered turning up, or maybe she's too weak and wobbly.

I think she is doing everything she can to lose this election.

My god, how could she not turn up?

Anti Tory feeling is running high.

Saw corbyn on the One show too, and he came accross really well.

Still a long shot, but I can see her reducing her majority, and possibly losing.

This has been an amazing election

I must say that Corbyn does seem to have grown during this campaign, he seemed to get his message out and seemed like he might just be able to be PM, Farron seemed to be much more able and concise and has limited himself to one clearcut policy on the NHS which is what Corbyn should have done.

I do wonder what the result will be, May seems to have taken too much for granted, I wonder if it occurred to her that being PM was going to call for far more compromise than as Home Sec. where it was much more control and command, just slashing the police and intelligence with no opposition other  than the Police Fed who she slagged off with her toy poodle press mates. I reckon they are getting a bit wobbly because the Daily Wail are claiming that it was a stitch up by the BBC handpicking a left wing audience for last night, two birds with one stone I suppose they thought, Corbyn and the BBC.

I think Corbyn's move yesterday to participate was a master stroke of strategy and for May not to holes her mantra about strong leadership in brexit talks right below the waterline, it's interesting to look at how she became leader, basically because she was the only candidate that the party could trust when compared to the raft of other idiots, it wasn't because anybody thought she was a good option it was because she wasn't one of the others and as happens in so many organisations she has reached her level of incompetance, dogmatic, resolute and able to master a limited brief but not inspirational or innovative.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, newjez said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/theresa-may-social-media-roasts-prime-minister-not-turning-bbc/

It was actually quite funny.

They're just taking the piss now.

I mean for god's sake, amber Rudd's dad died two days ago. But I guess they couldn't send Boris, Davis, fox, and I assume Hammond was busy. Or maybe they don't like his tune.

She's going to lose this election if she's not careful. It's going to take more than platitudes or old news stories on Corbyn to turn this around.

Yes it might be useful to look up the fathers run ins with the financial services regulators and the involvement of Amber in running a similar operation after the fathers run ins. I think she reckoned an MP's pension was a better bet than being in the finance world. 

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I must say that Corbyn does seem to have grown during this campaign, he seemed to get his message out and seemed like he might just be able to be PM, Farron seemed to be much more able and concise and has limited himself to one clearcut policy on the NHS which is what Corbyn should have done.

I do wonder what the result will be, May seems to have taken too much for granted, I wonder if it occurred to her that being PM was going to call for far more compromise than as Home Sec. where it was much more control and command, just slashing the police and intelligence with no opposition other  than the Police Fed who she slagged off with her toy poodle press mates. I reckon they are getting a bit wobbly because the Daily Wail are claiming that it was a stitch up by the BBC handpicking a left wing audience for last night, two birds with one stone I suppose they thought, Corbyn and the BBC.

I think Corbyn's move yesterday to participate was a master stroke of strategy and for May not to holes her mantra about strong leadership in brexit talks right below the waterline, it's interesting to look at how she became leader, basically because she was the only candidate that the party could trust when compared to the raft of other idiots, it wasn't because anybody thought she was a good option it was because she wasn't one of the others and as happens in so many organisations she has reached her level of incompetance, dogmatic, resolute and able to master a limited brief but not inspirational or innovative.

The media are forced to give equal coverage, (or should I say covfefe?) to candidates during election. The rest of the time they either ignore or only report bad press. They did the same with millibland.

Even if he loses, at least he'll come out with Street cred.

May is a lame duck.

Strong and stable brexit my arse. Weak and wobbly leadership challenge, and that's if she wins.

29 minutes ago, simmo said:

Last night's debate was a joke. Good move by May to stay away. I have a good mind to complain to the BBC

As the Australian's charmlessly put it 'she was frit'. 'Strong and stable', my arse, she is going to get this country into such a bind it will make the eighty's look like a walk in the park.

We have spent 70 years ducking and diving, never wanting to face up to a simple fact, we are an ex-colonial power that has never adjusted to our position in the world since we had to give up the colonies, we imagine we are some kind of giant colonial power with all this regal splendour of State this and State that when we are really a down at heel nobody always strutting around the world stage with everybody increasingly having to stifle their laughter, well brexit is going to be our undoing finally, no amount of gold coaches or ermine gowns is going to cover up the glaring gaps in provision that is going to show over the next 5 years and the impact is not going to be felt just by the poor ,its going to be the middle classes as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

As the Australian's charmlessly put it 'she was frit'. 'Strong and stable', my arse, she is going to get this country into such a bind it will make the eighty's look like a walk in the park.

We have spent 70 years ducking and diving, never wanting to face up to a simple fact, we are an ex-colonial power that has never adjusted to our position in the world since we had to give up the colonies, we imagine we are some kind of giant colonial power with all this regal splendour of State this and State that when we are really a down at heel nobody always strutting around the world stage with everybody increasingly having to stifle their laughter, well brexit is going to be our undoing finally, no amount of gold coaches or ermine gowns is going to cover up the glaring gaps in provision that is going to show over the next 5 years and the impact is not going to be felt just by the poor ,its going to be the middle classes as well.

You might want this. http://www.samaritans.org

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Last night's debate was a joke. Good move by May to stay away. I have a good mind to complain to the BBC

I really don't think you can call the BBC a left leaning organisation anymore. The Tories have seen to that. With the likes of laura kuenssberg, she launches for corbyn at every opportunity, straight to the jugular.

I think you might need to wake up to the fact that a lot of people don't like the conservatives. That was OK when there was no opposition. But corbyn has done good, and the others are supporting him. Whereas may is hiding in the under stairs cupboard.

• Like 1